RM650x

Ichi

Okay, so need opinion on something.

I'm building a family pc, mostly for them to watch movies or web surfing.

It will be from used parts and won't have a GPU until I decide that it is needed.

Here's the deal, I found a 4 months old RM650x for $45 from a local dude so I was like that's a very good deal.

As it has zero RPM mode, as in the fan won't spin at all until it hits like 240W (?) or something which I'm pretty sure this pc won't ever reach at all.

Is it fine to use that PSU knowing that the fan will never spin at all, except from that temporary spin when booting up.

I mean, will it spin if the PSU itself heats up or the low wattage won't even heat the PSU up at all so there's no concern whether the fan is spinning or not.

Another thing to consider is the case I pick for it have PSU shroud so the PSU probably won't get much air from case fans.

Will put fan side down but since the fan won't spin I guess it makes no difference whatsoever anyway.

Opinions needed, thanks.

yea if the fan doesnt spin it doesnt need to therefore in theory it will be fine from what i know of them anyway.

Main system:

i7 6700k @4.8ghz 1.45v

ROG Maximus Hero VIII

Gigabyte G1 980ti Sli @1500 ghz

Samsung 950 pro 512gb

16gb G.Skill Ripjawz V @3400mhz 

Corsair H115i 280mm AIO

Corsair 400c Case

Corsair RM1000i

Backup/Older/Toys:

Intel i3 6100 @4.6ghz 1.52v

Asrock B150M Pro4/Hyper

Intel 750 series 400gb

Radeon Rx 470 XFX

Thermaltake Water 3.0 360mm AIO 

inWin 303 case

AMD Phenom II x4 940 @3.9ghz 1.65v

Gigabyte 780g mobo

Corsair H100 240mm AIO

Corsair Dominiator 8gb DDR2 @1066

Evga GTX 750ti FTW @1450mhz

Thermaltake Matrix case (modded)

"The best way to look stylish on a budget is to try second-hand, bargain hunting, and vintage" 

The fan will spin when it needs to dont worry. Its a good unit with all the security measures needed. I would definatly get that if you trust the seller and/or inspect it properly before handing over the cash.

1 hour ago, RS2007GOD said:

yea if the fan doesnt spin it doesnt need to therefore in theory it will be fine from what i know of them anyway.

1 hour ago, HydraGaming said:

The fan will spin when it needs to dont worry. Its a good unit with all the security measures needed. I would definatly get that if you trust the seller and/or inspect it properly before handing over the cash.

Yeah, be picking up tomorrow, just wanted to hear others opinion.

I don't know if the fan will kick in if the unit gets hot or not, that's my main concern as a simple google search turns no result.

I only know the fan would spin if the load reaches that 260W load at 25C (if not mistaken).

Pretty sure I won't hit that 40% load and it's like 30+C ambient where I live so yea.

Guess I'll just take it and see how it goes.

1 hour ago, Ichi said:

Yeah, be picking up tomorrow, just wanted to hear others opinion.

I don't know if the fan will kick in if the unit gets hot or not, that's my main concern as a simple google search turns no result.

I only know the fan would spin if the load reaches that 260W load at 25C (if not mistaken).

Pretty sure I won't hit that 40% load and it's like 30+C ambient where I live so yea.

Guess I'll just take it and see how it goes.

What case are you putting it in by chance? I've been paranoid about this for awhile but it's saved a few people - 

The RMx has a rifle bearing fan. This isn't terrible but what it means is that if it's not mounted horizontally like how it is in most cases (Define S, H440, etc). If you mount it in an HTPC I'd be worried that the fan would never lubricate when it spins. 

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

29 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

What case are you putting it in by chance? I've been paranoid about this for awhile but it's saved a few people - 

The RMx has a rifle bearing fan. This isn't terrible but what it means is that if it's not mounted horizontally like how it is in most cases (Define S, H440, etc). If you mount it in an HTPC I'd be worried that the fan would never lubricate when it spins. 

Spoiler

post-17891-1456236874_thumb.jpg

Just normal case like this. should be horizontal, HTPC is another story, this is just a normal PC with monitor for those who don't want to watch it on big ass TV screen or when someone is watching actual TV channel.

My concern is will the PSU heat itself up if it's on <200W load, since technically the fan won't spin.

The proper question would be on <200W load, will the internals heat up enough to cause a problem?

Will the fan spins if the internals reach like around 45C? (I don't really know how PSU temps is measured)

If you can clarify these 2, then I would be at peace of mind.

1 minute ago, Ichi said:
  Reveal hidden contents

post-17891-1456236874_thumb.jpg

Just normal case like this. should be horizontal, HTPC is another story, this is just a normal PC with monitor for those who don't want to watch it on big ass TV screen or when someone is watching actual TV channel.

My concern is will the PSU heat itself up if it's on <200W load, since technically the fan won't spin.

The proper question would be on <200W load, will the internals heat up enough to cause a problem?

Will the fan spins if the internals reach like around 45C? (I don't really know how PSU temps is measured)

If you can clarify these 2, then I would be at peace of mind.

The fan will spin up if it gets to be too hot but those thing can tolerate pretty high temperatures. The fan also doesn't make a lot of noise either so you may hardly notice it, with the case fans and/or CPU cooler being louder.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Just now, STRMfrmXMN said:

The fan will spin up if it gets to be too hot but those thing can tolerate pretty high temperatures. The fan also doesn't make a lot of noise either so you may hardly notice it, with the case fans and/or CPU cooler being louder.

That's what I want to know, I'll take your word on that, thanks.

Now I'm thinking should I have gone for other PSU instead but man $45 for this is just too good to pass for me.

8 minutes ago, Ichi said:

That's what I want to know, I'll take your word on that, thanks.

Now I'm thinking should I have gone for other PSU instead but man $45 for this is just too good to pass for me.

Nope, get the RMx. 45 dollars is stupidly good for that.

Update:

Got it and worked super fine.

The fan kicks in when booting up and it's dead silent...

Just need to train the stiff cables as previous owner bends it in a way that it doesn't look nice in mine.

Give it time and it should be fine.