ASUS's AMD graphics cards

Go to solution Solved by PCGuy_5960,
1 minute ago, Anirban said:

Overall I am looking for a consistent graphics cards and I try to keep things very minimal. Problem is the voltage fluctuations and the ambient room temp in India. I need a GPU with good quality components. It's people like you @PCGuy_5960, who are last resorts for me. :) Does a difference between DX11 & DX12 matter that much? I will be primarily editing the photographs, small 3D diagrams and VERY lower settings detail enjoying of AC Syndicate. 

This was the post where I conveyed the problems-

CUDA acceleration is usually more helpful and more widely supported... SO it should help with your editing...

DX11 and DX12 affect gaming and only gaming...

Get the 950...

Someone here in the forum replied with this same about ASUS graphics cards' standard or quality when it comes to AMD Radeon- "ASUS is one of the worst AMD manufacturer, go with Sapphire, XFX, or MSI, in that order or preference." (watch the poor grammar) That mister is talking about XFX and and insulting ASUS Strix. 

How much truthful his comment is? Many people might support the same. I don't know. I would take his comment lightly but as I am going to buy the Strix edition of RX 460, I got to ask to other people about it. On the other hand. if anybody has suggestions about a better and alternative way of RX 460, give that too.

Just go for Sapphire, screw both XFX and MSI.

I have a Fury Nitro and an FX 8320E. Screw my life?

Bingo, I would. I had a R7 250. I malfunctioned. Went scared. That's why I chose ASUS. OK, Sapphire then.

3 minutes ago, Anirban said:

Bingo, I would. I had a R7 250. I malfunctioned. Went scared. That's why I chose ASUS. OK, Sapphire then.

I have seen a video about an ASUS 980 Ti that broke after a year and the guy's experience with the RMA was terrible... He had to pay for shipping AND he got a refurbished one, instead of a new one! 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I have seen a video about an ASUS 980 Ti that broke after a year and the guy's experience with the RMA was terrible... He had to pay for shipping AND he got a refurbished one, instead of a new one! 

That's awful. In India, I might face the same. Be honest..should I get that RX 460? A GTX 950 would do better? Please comment and suggest. http://mdcomputers.in/products/graphics-card is the link. 

10 minutes ago, Anirban said:

Someone here in the forum replied with this same about ASUS graphics cards' standard or quality when it comes to AMD Radeon- "ASUS is one of the worst AMD manufacturer, go with Sapphire, XFX, or MSI, in that order or preference." (watch the poor grammar) That mister is talking about XFX and and insulting ASUS Strix. 

How much truthful his comment is? Many people might support the same. I don't know. I would take his comment lightly but as I am going to buy the Strix edition of RX 460, I got to ask to other people about it. On the other hand. if anybody has suggestions about a better and alternative way of RX 460, give that too.

This is because they ARE one of the worst AMD manufacturers, just get Sapphire :P

Asus GPUs are overpriced

the reference design AMD RX 480 cards sold by Asus cost more than other brands which are selling the reference models as well

by a whooping 20-30 dollars difference

and the Strix coolers and AMD cards dont mix

tests have shown the Asus RX 480 run much hotter than other brands like the Devil RX 480 and the MSI RX 480

Sapphire have dropped in terms of poor cooler design and they run hotter than the previous 390/X Nitro cards

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

They are not really that bad, but they don't build their coolers for AMD GPUs which can be a problem for some GPUs. Most of them are also pretty overpriced compared to the rest, which makes them a bad purchase. Their PCBs and component choice is one of the best imo.

If you are looking for a 460, usually XFX and Sapphire Nitro are better deals than Asus.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

5 minutes ago, Anirban said:

That's awful. In India, I might face the same. Be honest..should I get that RX 460? A GTX 950 would do better? Please comment and suggest. http://mdcomputers.in/products/graphics-card is the link. 

I would get the 950,because it has better DX11 performance and shadowplay which is one of the best screen recorders out there... If you want more DX12 performance, buy the 460

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

2 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I would get the 950,because it has better DX11 performance and shadowplay which is one of the best screen recorders out there... If you want more DX12 performance, buy the 460

Overall I am looking for a consistent graphics cards and I try to keep things very minimal. Problem are the voltage fluctuations and the ambient room temp in India. I need a GPU with a quality of components. It's people like you @PCGuy_5960, who are the last resorts for me. :) Does a difference between DX11 & DX12 matter that much? I will be primarily editing the photographs, small 3D diagrams and VERY lower settings  for detail-enjoying of AC Syndicate. 

1 minute ago, Anirban said:

Overall I am looking for a consistent graphics cards and I try to keep things very minimal. Problem is the voltage fluctuations and the ambient room temp in India. I need a GPU with good quality components. It's people like you @PCGuy_5960, who are last resorts for me. :) Does a difference between DX11 & DX12 matter that much? I will be primarily editing the photographs, small 3D diagrams and VERY lower settings detail enjoying of AC Syndicate. 

CUDA acceleration is usually more helpful and more widely supported... SO it should help with your editing...

Get the 950...

19 minutes ago, Cela1 said:

This is because they ARE one of the worst AMD manufacturers, just get Sapphire :P

ASUS don't manufacture for AMD, GlobalFoundries does.

19 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

tests have shown the Asus RX 480 run much hotter than other brands like the Devil RX 480 and the MSI RX 480

Link?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

17 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Link?

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/asus-rx-480-strix-gaming-oc-aura-rgb-8192mb/28/

not sure where the review went to but there was some fudging of the vBIOS on the Asus Strix which will cause the temp target to either toggle between 65 to 75 degrees.

the correct temp target is 75.

iirc the Strix running stock fan profiles will cause the GPU temps to shoot up faster to 76 degrees. MSI will peak out at 73 under heavy load.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_radeon_rx_480_gaming_x_review,6.html

Powercolor Devil do peak out at 76 at max load but the triple fan design is keeping it in the 70+ degrees range

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/powercolor_radeon_rx_480_red_devil_review,6.html

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

its not a  290x that you are worried about thermals ..... its rx 460 .... there are only 3 variants available online in india 1 from asus which is  stupidly overpriced and 1 from sapphire which is still overpriced but atleast ₹2000 less and other from HIS you probably have not heard of that company so i don't think you will buy it .

for voltage fluctuations buy a good power supply or a ups or a surge protector....

3 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Get the 950...

Thanks bud..I used to think differently wholly from the CPU's perspective that CPU has more works to execute. In this video, Linus was talking about it.

I think this time I'll go with CUDA instead Vulkan API. Does this do the job- http://mdcomputers.in/zotac-graphics-card-gtx-950-2gb-ddr5-zt-90601-10l.html ? See the price man though!! Our Indian Govt cuts or throat to get taxes!

1 hour ago, Tim Serious said:

or a ups

Read my mind! Aye aye Tim. I have an APC UPS. You won't believe me but I did post a thread regarding this matter too!! Joules, spike related. 

My PSU plug follows American system but the UPS has only European and Indian sockets. I am planing to use a costly 3-pin connector into the UPS fr plugging the PSU. Would that be dumb? Problematic!

Inviting @PCGuy_5960 to deliver his thoughts too.

5 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Unfortunately that's not too rare for many electronics. Companies love giving refurbished products for warranty replacements. 

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

3 hours ago, Tim Serious said:

its not a  290x that you are worried about thermals ..... its rx 460 .... there are only 3 variants available online in india 1 from asus which is  stupidly overpriced and 1 from sapphire which is still overpriced but atleast ₹2000 less and other from HIS you probably have not heard of that company so i don't think you will buy it .

HIS is a good brand and they've been around for a long time. Personally, I wouldn't worry about which cooler to pick on an RX 460. You have less than 80W of heat to cool down. It's funny to me that all of the brands are packing such fancy heatsinks and high end components (capacitors etc...) on such a simple GPU. This video goes into it in depth:

It's probably a good thing that you're getting a quality card, but you're overspending on an RX 460 for no perceivable gains at the end of the day. And that's absurd for a "budget gaming card". 

1 hour ago, Anirban said:

Thanks bud..I used to think differently wholly from the CPU's perspective that CPU has more works to execute. In this video, Linus was talking about it.

I think this time I'll go with CUDA instead Vulkan API. Does this do the job- http://mdcomputers.in/zotac-graphics-card-gtx-950-2gb-ddr5-zt-90601-10l.html ? See the price man though!! Our Indian Govt cuts or throat to get taxes!

Yeah! This will work fine!

31 minutes ago, RyGuy99 said:

Unfortunately that's not too rare for many electronics. Companies love giving refurbished products for warranty replacements. 

EVGA doesn't do so... Just FYI

2 hours ago, Anirban said:

Read my mind! Aye aye Tim. I have an APC UPS. You won't believe me but I did post a thread regarding this matter too!! Joules, spike related. 

My PSU plug follows American system but the UPS has only European and Indian sockets. I am planing to use a costly 3-pin connector into the UPS fr plugging the PSU. Would that be dumb? Problematic!

Inviting @PCGuy_5960 to deliver his thoughts too.

I don't really know much about UPSs and I wouldn't want to say something invalid....

7 hours ago, Anirban said:

Actually, most of that goes out the window this generation. Most people are basing their recommendations off the 300 series and a lot has changed. If I were buying any 400 series card it would go MSI>Asus>Powercolor>XFX>Sapphire with Sapphire being way behind the others. The bottom line is that Sapphires card does not have very good thermals this time around whilst all the others are excellent.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |