Which (Intel) CPU Should You Buy?

35 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Is the slight jump in single threaded performance really worth losing 4 threads?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

10 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Is the slight jump in single threaded performance really worth losing 4 threads?

Now you are asking a different question. It depends. You also need to consider what's the benefit of adding those threads to the same number of cores in the first place.

Of course, if you are in one of the use cases in which it is harmful (that's what I meant with 8x1.95), then the answer is: negative value, in which case the answer to your question is: of course, it's a win-win. If your use case benefits the most from HT, then you can consider how much do you want to give up in single thread performance to get that.

There is no universal answer for a trade-off.

Hello everyone I need some help!

I'm about to start building a new pc and the type of cpu im going with is the " Intel® Core™ i7-6700 " I was wondering if anyone would know the best asus motherboard out there for this type of processor! if you guys can help me out that would be amazing!

:):D:o

Thank you

Just now, coolmenxlz1 said:

Hello everyone I need some help!

I'm about to start building a new pc and the type of cpu im going with is the " Intel® Core™ i7-6700 " I was wondering if anyone would know the best asus motherboard out there for this type of processor! if you guys can help me out that would be amazing!

:):D:o

Thank you

cough cough http://computers.woot.com/offers/hp-envy-750-intel-i7-2tb-sata-desktop-24?ref=cp_cnt_wp_5_1 

cough cough cough

Plenty of E5-1620's going on Ebay for $50. Good deal if you can find a X79 motherboard for less than $200. :P

1 hour ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Plenty of E5-1620's going on Ebay for $50. Good deal if you can find a X79 motherboard for less than $200. :P

Aren't basically all X79 motherboard under $200?

I bought an i7 6700k instead of an i5 6600k for 2 reasons. I want to be able to tell my non-computer friends, "I built a custom computer with an i7 running xGHz.” 

and it was only $70 difference 

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

Well helpful video for new PC gamers. If anyone didn't watch the video though basically...

G4400/i3-6100 on a budget for gaming or just general use. 

i5-6500/6600k for gaming if you have the cash. 

6700k if you want a good balance of everything. 

X99 chips if you have the cash and need the power for something that isn't gaming. 

i5-6400t for a power efficient, quiet machine. 

but can they run minesweeper??

"Always forgive your enemies, but never forget their names." John F. Kennedy

"Daddy is going on a dangerous mission to shoot his employees." Linus Sebastian

"It's soft, but in a good way, kinda like typing on boobs." Luke Lafreniere

22 hours ago, uLoop said:

Yes, the Xeons from that era should be compatible. You should be able to get at least 6 cores, and also you can overclock those xeons via base clock.

I'll try it... It should be around $100 on eBay I guess... I have a Gtx1080 and I'm playing at 1440p but I'm starting to hit CPU limit now on a couple of titles. That old i7 920 is rocking since 2009. Best investment ever

23 hours ago, Minibois said:

On the same socket? Probably not.

That's what I was wondering. According to my manual, the Xeons don't work on my motherboard even if the socket is the same... but since Linus mentioned that it could work and I saw other people (with different motherboards which didn't show the compatitbility in their manual) having success in the process it made me wonder.

18 hours ago, Bhav said:

If you can find an I7 970 or 980 for cheapo, that would make a solid upgrade to an X58 build without needing a new motherboard.

Can be an option too. I'll try to see what's best

Thanks for the help.

I have an i7-4790k and i want a new and better processor for streaming, I'm having trouble with it, all through it may also be my internet. my graphics card is 1 980 ti, and my motherboard is an old b85-m asus, i have 16gigs of ram, watercooling for my cpu, and a 650w gold power supply.

if anyone could help me out that would be awesome.

2 hours ago, kalfax said:

I have an i7-4790k and i want a new and better processor for streaming, I'm having trouble with it, all through it may also be my internet. my graphics card is 1 980 ti, and my motherboard is an old b85-m asus, i have 16gigs of ram, watercooling for my cpu, and a 650w gold power supply.

if anyone could help me out that would be awesome.

I would check your internet speeds if you think that is the issue. 

Honesty, I can’t really speak with full-fledged confidence, but I would invest in a i7 6800k and a x99 board now or wait until around Christmas time for the marginally improved i7 7700k.

But before I buy a new chip and a new board I would do some troubleshooting to identify your CPU as the leading cause of your problems. 

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

On 8/26/2016 at 2:31 AM, keNNySOC said:

Pentium 3

Dude naaaa Pentium 4 ohhh yeah

I was wondering on your thoughts on a Z0PE-D8 Mobo with dual E5-2620 v4. Is it worth upgrading to the 2630/40? Application is Folding/Mining 24/7 while supporting 4K@60Hz/Streaming (1080 or Titan XP). 

On 27/08/2016 at 7:55 AM, Rolfejc said:

X99 chips if you have the cash and need the power for something that isn't gaming.

I want to buy I7 6800k + x99 + gtx 1080 for work and gaming
or I should better buy i7 6700k + z170 + gtx 1080 for work and gaming?

4 hours ago, Mr. Ask said:

I want to buy I7 6800k + x99 + gtx 1080 for work and gaming
or I should better buy i7 6700k + z170 + gtx 1080 for work and gaming?

It depends on what kind of work you do. Depending on what you do, the 6800k could have anywhere from a 25% performance boost to no performance boost. For gaming the 6700k is definitely the way to go though. I don't really see either as a bad choice, what kind of work do you plan to do on your PC? If you also want to save maybe around ~$150 or so the 6700k would be a good choice while still giving you very good performance. 

9 hours ago, Rolfejc said:

It depends on what kind of work you do. Depending on what you do, the 6800k could have anywhere from a 25% performance boost to no performance boost. For gaming the 6700k is definitely the way to go though. I don't really see either as a bad choice, what kind of work do you plan to do on your PC? If you also want to save maybe around ~$150 or so the 6700k would be a good choice while still giving you very good performance. 

Graphic and video design.  And audio edition too.

7 hours ago, Mr. Ask said:

Graphic and video design.  And audio edition too.

The 6700k should be fine then. According to a few benchmarks I found online there is generally little difference between the 6800k and  6700k. I'm not really sure with audio design, it was sort of difficult to find some quick benchmarks since I am not familiar with many audio based programs. 

On 01/09/2016 at 0:28 AM, Rolfejc said:

The 6700k should be fine then. According to a few benchmarks I found online there is generally little difference between the 6800k and  6700k. I'm not really sure with audio design, it was sort of difficult to find some quick benchmarks since I am not familiar with many audio based programs. 

Somebody said to me, that building 2011v3 system is more perspective for future updating, is it true? 

Also, Linus mentioned in his video about choosing i7 6800k for work, what kind of work did he mean?

On 9/2/2016 at 11:12 AM, Mr. Ask said:

Somebody said to me, that building 2011v3 system is more perspective for future updating, is it true? 

Also, Linus mentioned in his video about choosing i7 6800k for work, what kind of work did he mean?

It's impossible to say what future programs may require when it comes to hardware. The 6700k isn't that far behind a 6800k or 5820k anyways so it wouldn't be a big deal if in the future the 6700k isn't as fast as it is now. Also for work it could mean many things. Probably something like image processing, rendering animations, or something like that. I would recommend looking up benchmarks of several CPUs in the programs you use to see how they compare against each other. That will help you make the best decision for your needs. 

On 8/26/2016 at 1:24 AM, nicklmg said:

Full Spreadsheet: http://bit.ly/2bFRu4z

Handy Xeon Chart spreadsheet: http://bit.ly/2bqAx1E

Buy Core i7 6700K on Amazon: http://geni.us/ZIir

Buy Core i7 6800K on Amazon: http://geni.us/2Wj7B

Buy Core i5 6600K on Amazon: http://geni.us/VwKJ

Buy Core i5 6500 on Amazon: http://geni.us/2OuQI8

Buy Intel G4400 on Amazon: http://geni.us/zvtG1N

Buy Core i3 6100 on Amazon: http://geni.us/Xi5j

Buy Core i5 6400T on Amazon: http://geni.us/OFmh9U

Need help picking a CPU? Then look no further my friend - we've got your choices covered!

The lowest possible costly chip you idiot.

9 hours ago, Madnessinme said:

No love for the amd cpu's?

This was specifically about Intel ones.  He said they'd do an episode on AMD once they have something worth considering

10 hours ago, LazlowRave said:

The lowest possible costly chip you idiot.

lol what?  um, no?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.