Dont clean your PC with compressed gas

Clanscorpia

So when me and Tallon were skyping last night trying to make a video (We couldnt get any working tech scammers phone numbers)  I started to clean my PC, and like most people, I used compressed gas (NOT compressed air) and I'm telling you, Im never using it again. It doesn't work particularly well and I ened up wiping everything with a microfiber cloth but the worst part is my fingers and lips had this awful bitter taste. After some research I learned the bitterant in the gas spreads when you spray it so I got it on my lips! Luckily it went away after 3 hours so it's gone now but other people say it can last up to 3 days so in conclusion, dont use canned compressed gas, use a microfiber cloth or an air compressor. 

TL:DR - Dont use compressed gas to clean unless you want a bitter taste

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Most will just to compress air, not gas. Who the heck uses compress gas?!

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, NumLock21 said:

Cans of air aren't usually air, its usually gases like Freon

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

When the company uses butane to compress the air. Or something like that. My cans of compressed air shoot out flammable gas >:D

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

4 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

So when me and Tallon were skyping last night trying to make a video (We couldnt get any working tech scammers phone numbers)  I started to clean my PC, and like most people, I used compressed gas (NOT compressed air) and I'm telling you, Im never using it again. It doesn't work particularly well and I ened up wiping everything with a microfiber cloth but the worst part is my fingers and lips had this awful bitter taste. After some research I learned the bitterant in the gas spreads when you spray it so I got it on my lips! Luckily it went away after 3 hours so it's gone now but other people say it can last up to 3 days so in conclusion, dont use canned compressed gas, use a microfiber cloth or an air compressor. 

TL:DR - Dont use compressed gas to clean unless you want a bitter taste

The bitter taste is to prevent people from getting high off of them, you sure you weren't doing anything else with them.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Just now, TheRandomness said:

When the company uses butane to compress the air. Or something like that. My cans of compressed air shoot out flammable gas >:D

Me and my dad did that to kill a wasp nest. xD It was funny im going to become a murderer now

Spoiler

AXIOM

Just now, Clanscorpia said:

Me and my dad did that to kill a wasp nest. xD It was funny im going to become a murderer now

I set my carpet on fire. And a C2D E6600 which survived being on fire. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Just now, SLAYR said:

The bitter taste is to prevent people from getting high off of them, you sure you weren't doing anything else with them.

I can guarantee you, I know that, I was doing research. A lot of other people were doing that, ask @ShadowTechXTS he can tell you that I wasnt inhaling it or he'd have been able to tell.

Spoiler

AXIOM

6 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Cans of air aren't usually air, its usually gases like Freon

It's not freon, that's banned. But it is some other gas that's easier to liquefy than air.

Just now, Sakkura said:

It's not freon, that's banned. But it is some other gas that's easier to liquefy than air.

Sorry I meant similar to freon. I think its li di-something flouron

Spoiler

AXIOM

been using compressed gas for decades, never had problems. Last 2 cans I had lasted less than 6 months.

Also, how uses ONLY compressed gas when cleaning a PC?

I personally never use it inside, I always go outside, use a few blast of "air" to get most of the dust out, then go back inside to finish with anti-static cloth.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Just now, wkdpaul said:

Also, how uses ONLY compressed gas when cleaning a PC?

I didnt, I used a microfiber cloth

Spoiler

AXIOM

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

I didnt, I used a microfiber cloth

from you post you said you "ended up wiping everything with a microfiber cloth" ... to me it sounds you were trying to clean the PC only with the compressed gas and only used the cloth when you realized it wasn't enough.

It might just be that you didn't word it correctly.

also;

*snip*

but the worst part is my fingers and lips had this awful bitter taste.

*snip*

so, not wearing gloves and not washing your hands I see ... xD

2 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

from you post you said you "ended up wiping everything with a microfiber cloth" ... to me it sounds you were trying to clean the PC only with the compressed gas and only used the cloth when you realized it wasn't enough.

It might just be that you didn't word it correctly.

also;

so, not wearing gloves and not washing your hands I see ... xD

Water doesnt make it go away I washed my hands 3 times with soap and water

Spoiler

AXIOM

1 minute ago, TheSuspect said:

Funniest title I've ever seen.

Why?

Spoiler

AXIOM

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

Why?

It just seems so out of the ordinary.

Nothing.

4 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Water doesnt make it go away I washed my hands 3 times with soap and water

yeah, if you want a tip, chemicals are often not water soluble so a better option to wash your hands is to use isopropyl alcohol. I often use that to remove fuel or engine oil smell after I've worked on my car (though I honestly don't know if it would work with the compressed gas bitter agent!)

Just now, wkdpaul said:

yeah, if you want a tip, chemicals are often not water soluble so a better option to wash your hands is to use isopropyl alcohol. I often use that to remove fuel or engine oil smell after I've worked on my car (though I honestly don't know if it would work with the compressed gas bitter agent!)

Its basically completely gone away

Spoiler

AXIOM

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

The chemical is Denatonium which is the most bitter thing on earth

Spoiler

AXIOM

2 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Its basically completely gone away

I know, I mean "next time"

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

I know, I mean "next time"

Yeah :P Its still on my keyboard though so it keeps getting on my fingers

Spoiler

AXIOM

2 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Yeah :P Its still on my keyboard though so it keeps getting on my fingers

You should try cleaning the keyboard with a cloth and a bit of isopropyl alcohol on it ... I use 70%, not sure if the cheaper 50% would work too.

Wouldnt Micro-Fibre cause ESD, unless you meant case, mouse, monitor, speakers, keyboard, and not the inside of the case.

8 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Wouldnt Micro-Fibre cause ESD, unless you meant case, mouse, monitor, speakers, keyboard, and not the inside of the case.

I used it on the inside of my case, the fans, and the mobo heatsinks. I dont think it would if you ground it because there would be no electrical difference. I was touching the case the whole time btw

Spoiler

AXIOM