4-pin power supply on 8-pin motherboard?

Go to solution Solved by SLIClocker,

I have ran a 4pin in an 8pin board before and it worked completely fine for me. Not saying it will work for you. But for me it was a miracle!

Hi,

I Order i7 4790k with Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H. This motherboard has 8 pin connector and my old PSU has 4 pin. I'll never overclock. Is that okay if I put 4 pin to 8 pin into the other half?

I attached my motherboard 8 pin connector diagram.

Thanks for the answer

55.jpg

Or get some adapters, this is not recommended though

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

I have ran a 4pin in an 8pin board before and it worked completely fine for me. Not saying it will work for you. But for me it was a miracle!

Current PC: "For Now Because I Have A Habit"

CPU: Intel Core I7 6700K @4.5Ghz

Motherboard: Asrock Z170 Extreme4

RAM: 16GB G.skill TridentZ 3200Mhz DDR4

CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 360 Riing RGB Edition 

Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080Ti Founders Edition MSI

Case: Limited Edition Thermaltake View 31 Riing RGB

Power Supply: CoolerMaster V750 Fully Modular

SSD: Kingston HyperX Savage 240GB

HDD: 3TB Toshiba 7200RPM

Peripherals:

Monitor: AOC U2868PQU 4K 28" 60HZ

Keyboard: G.Skill Ripjaws KM780 RGB Cherry MX Red

Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite

Mouse Pad: Razer Goliathus Speed Extended

Speakers: Creative SBS A250

Headphones: Razer Kraken Pro 7.1

If u won't OC it would be fine I did it couple of times... But I recommend u to buy adapter for 4pin lp+4pin CPU to 8pin eps

You can physically fit it, but a 4790K is power hungry and you will run into power issues...

In addition, this is an indication that your PSU is crap and it's time for an upgrade...

May I recommend the Seasonic M12II-620W, as it's cheap and reliable

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

18 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

You can physically fit it, but a 4790K is power hungry and you will run into power issues...

In addition, this is an indication that your PSU is crap and it's time for an upgrade...

May I recommend the Seasonic M12II-620W, as it's cheap and reliable

Can I plug 4 pin to 8 pin for temporary use until I buy new PSU ? 

Just now, prasanth_1991 said:

Can I plug 4 pin to 8 pin for temporary use until I buy new PSU ? 

Yes, but DO NOT STRESS THE SYSTEM AT ALL

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

@prasanth_1991 BTW, which PSU do you currently have?

10 minutes ago, prasanth_1991 said:

Actually it's old an PSU zebronics 450w from my old PC.

I am not sure about it's quality... Don't use it and wait until you have got a quality PSU

Brands that are good and reliable:

1. Seasonic
  2. EVGA
  3. SuperFlower
  4. XFX
  5. Corsair

And these are with no particular order

Edited by PCGuy_5960
Forgot Corsair

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I am not sure about it's quality... Don't use it and wait until you have got a quality PSU

Brands that are good and reliable:

1. Seasonic
  2. EVGA
  3. SuperFlower
  4. XFX

Yeah I think so. Just now I spend 560$ for the CPU and the motherboard. I really don't want to spend for the PSU right now.

1 hour ago, PCNoobie said:

No, it will not work. You need a new psu.

it worked on my pc but i think it only worked because my pc is not high-end

1 minute ago, prasanth_1991 said:

Yeah I think so. Just now I spend 560$ for the CPU and the motherboard. I really don't want to spend for the PSU right now.

Just let me tell you why you want a quality PSU...

Low quality power supplies have a tendency to blow up when under load....

When they blow up, they tend to take your computer with them and if you are even more unlucky, then they might take your house with them

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Just let me tell you why you want a quality PSU...

Low quality power supplies have a tendency to blow up when under load....

When they blow up, they tend to take your computer with them and if you are even more unlucky, then they might take your house with them

that sounds like a nightmare

2 minutes ago, Scrolls5 said:

What CPU do you have?

27 minutes ago, Scrolls5 said:

I order i7 4790k. I'll get my package on tomorrow.

4 hours ago, prasanth_1991 said:

Hi,

I Order i7 4790k with Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H. This motherboard has 8 pin connector and my old PSU has 4 pin. I'll never overclock. Is that okay if I put 4 pin to 8 pin into the other half?

I attached my motherboard 8 pin connector diagram.

Thanks for the answer

55.jpg

a 4790K Unlocked Devils canyon cpu on a B85 Haswell motherboard?.

Hmm fingers crossed that this particular board has had a bios update before it leaves the shop, otherwise it might not even work out of the box.

Next to that, you put a unlocked cpu on a motherboard that wont be able to overclock it atall.

So i´m not fully sure how much sense this cpu + mobo combo makes at all.

I would suggest to grab a Z97 board instead, so that you could atleast have the ability to overclock it.

And to be sure that the cpu is supported out of the box.

Next to that, yes you could run a single 4 pin cpu power connector on a 8 pin cpu power socket on the motherboard basicly.

But i wouldnt recommend doing it.

Also dont forget to disable C6 and C7 states in the bios if you decide to use a single 4 pin power plug tempory.

2 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

a 4790K Unlocked Devils canyon cpu on a B85 Haswell motherboard?.

Hmm fingers crossed that this particular board has had a bios update before it leaves the shop, otherwise it might not even work out of the box.

Next to that, you put a unlocked cpu on a motherboard that wont be able to overclock it realy far.

So i´m not fully sure how much sense this cpu + mobo combo makes at all.

I would suggest to grab a Z97 board instead, so that you could atleast have the ability to overclock it.

As I mention early, I'm not a big fan of overclock. So I'll never overclock, so that's why I pick this motherboard. 

25 minutes ago, prasanth_1991 said:

As I mention early, I'm not a big fan of overclock. So I'll never overclock, so that's why I pick this motherboard. 

Well then it would be better to atleast pick a H97 board.

Because like i said, 8 series chipset boards might need a bios update before they would even post.

The only 8-series chipset that i would trow a 4790K on is Z87.

But also those boards might need a bios update before they support the cpu aswell.

So i would highly recommend to buy a 9-series chipset board.

Either H97 or Z97.

3 hours ago, Sintezza said:

Well then it would be better to atleast pick a H97 board.

Because like i said, 8 series chipset boards might need a bios update before they would even post.

I can update bios later on right ?

7 hours ago, prasanth_1991 said:

Only if you have an older non refresh Haswell cpu available.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

17 hours ago, ApolloX75 said:

Yes, only if  he has an Haswell 1.0 cpu availeble.

Or if you buy a certain Asus Z87 board that supports USB flashback.

On 25-8-2016 at 2:09 PM, prasanth_1991 said:

Only if  you have an Haswell 1.0 cpu availeble.

Or if you buy a certain Asus Z87 board that supports USB flashback.

I dont think that cheaper H / B series chipsetboards from Asus have that feuture implemented.

Because USB flashback allows you to flash the bios without a cpu and ram installed.

But on socket 1150 Haswell platform, only Asus had this feuture on a few motherboards back then.

But i dont realy understand the problem.

You should just buy a H97 or Z97 motherboard for a 4790K like i said above.

That will save you from potential headaches.

Or if you are still set on the B85 motherboard.

Then i would say grab either a 4770K or the Xeon E3-1230-V3 / 1240-V3.

These particular Xeon´s are basicly just a locked i7 without an igpu.

On 8/25/2016 at 0:12 AM, SLIClocker said:

It's working. I'm using more than 8 hours till now and there is no issue. i7 4790k, windows 10 with an ssd it boots in 3 seconds xD. CPU core temperature are 35° to °45 on idle and 50 to 70 on load.