AMD Zen sneak peak and technical analysis at Hotchips 2016

Coaxialgamer
26 minutes ago, manikyath said:

My server is a modded acer prebuilt that's running an i7 4770 off one good choke, i've had to frankenstein extra sata power cables onto the mobo, and my storage drives are taped in place with double sided tape.

Recently two fans also started to act up, so the end is near.

The only reason it ended up being my server was that my actual server had an i3 560, and 4GB ram, and it straight up did not suffice.

Its only a couple of fans, so I personally would only worry when they seize/stop working (that's what killed my old Geforce 256).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

7 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Its only a couple of fans, so I personally would only worry when they seize/stop working (that's what killed my old Geforce 256).

3 of them are being kept alive with oil injections already :P

I'm used to the yate loon fans in fsp power supplies doing that, but i'd rather not have the cpu and gpu fans dunk out on me.

Just now, manikyath said:

3 of them are being kept alive with oil injections already :P

I'm used to the yate loon fans in fsp power supplies doing that, but i'd rather not have the cpu and gpu fans dunk out on me.

It might be worth your time looking at getting some ball bearing fans-the one (made by evercool) that was on my Mum's old Celeron 433 is still running like new (and far quieter than 80mm sleeve bearing fans at a lower RPM :P).

PMSL

3 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

It might be worth your time looking at getting some ball bearing fans-the one (made by evercool) that was on my Mum's old Celeron 433 is still running like new (and far quieter than 80mm sleeve bearing fans at a lower RPM :P).

Both use a non-standard fan shape/size, and at this point i just cant be botheted. I'm gonna make the leap and do it right for once.

- no more athlon 64 running on a mobo with all-inflated genuine chinese knockoff caps.

- no more i3 560 in the only case i've ever seen able to make quiet guts sound loud.

- no more super-bodgy prebuilt with a proprietary psu, proprietary mobo, and less sata power leads than desirable...

12 minutes ago, manikyath said:

Both use a non-standard fan shape/size, and at this point i just cant be botheted. I'm gonna make the leap and do it right for once.

- no more athlon 64 running on a mobo with all-inflated genuine chinese knockoff caps.

- no more i3 560 in the only case i've ever seen able to make quiet guts sound loud.

- no more super-bodgy prebuilt with a proprietary psu, proprietary mobo, and less sata power leads than desirable...

I'd be happy if I could just say "no more PSU with fuses that blow every month or so".

PMSL

Everybody is talking about zen , And the only zen we have right now :

Spoiler

Image result for zenyatta

(⌐■_■) 

10 hours ago, manikyath said:

if at this point amd themselves wouldnt be confident that would be a recipe for disaster.

if a company cannot be confident about a product they're putting to market, it can only be because deep inside they know the product is a failure.

lets just hope AMD's confidence is worth it, and that it'll launch before my old server kicks the bucket, so i can go zen. no reason why i want zen in my server, i just want zen in my server :P

U ganna put hm on the server ? :

Spoiler

Image result for zenyatta

(⌐■_■) 

7 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

I'd be happy if I could just say "no more PSU with fuses that blow every month or so".

At least yours has a fuse ;)

12 minutes ago, manikyath said:

At least yours has a fuse ;)

Well...your PSU are bloody dodgy then-probably as bad as the 400W (500W "peak") Thermaltake PSU that came with my first modern mATX case.

PMSL

God i hope they will have an overclokable 16 core chip or a dual socket mobo for consumer chips.

And before anyone asks it's not for games. It's for games while doing something else as well.

16 minutes ago, Ashaira said:

God i hope they will have an overclokable 16 core chip or a dual socket mobo for consumer chips.

And before anyone asks it's not for games. It's for games while doing something else as well.

Dual socket mobo for consumer chips is called a dual socket mobo for server chips. The chipset/CPU needs to support it for that to happen. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

please AMD please dont screw up the price, thats what it all comes down too. even if they cant deliver +40% IPC and it runns slower then Intel chips price is key, right now the only reason to ever get and AMD CPU is for cheapo stream machines that can use the cores but if you could bring similar to hasswell e IPC at around the same clock speed at the price of an I5 for the 4c/8t one or similar that would sell like willdfire probably 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Dual socket mobo for consumer chips is called a dual socket mobo for server chips. The chipset/CPU needs to support it for that to happen. 

well yeah but xeon dont oc and the ones that do are not dual socket compatible soooooooo.

Just now, Ashaira said:

well yeah but xeon dont oc and the ones that do are not dual socket compatible soooooooo.

The EVGA SR-2 and SR-X were dual socket 'consumer' boards that could overclock Xeons. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

28 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Well...your PSU are bloody dodgy then-probably as bad as the 400W (500W "peak") Thermaltake PSU that came with my first modern mATX case.

FSP group, guessing one of their cheaper ones, like all fsp group units it suffers from 'yateloon-itis' its a shoddy oem "only 12v and 5vsb" unit, and lacks any connectors aside of a cpu 4-pin, and a mobo 12-pin (not 24, 12. Including one unused pin)

At least it's 80+ bronze...

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

The EVGA SR-2 and SR-X were dual socket 'consumer' boards that could overclock Xeons. 

i have encountered them but they are several generations old and noone has done it since to my knowledge. I mean i found some mention that one other company did it on the board but the xeons for it were never allowed to OC so the mobo having the ability was of no use.

1 minute ago, Ashaira said:

i have encountered them but they are several generations old and noone has done it since to my knowledge. I mean i found some mention that one other company did it on the board but the xeons for it were never allowed to OC so the mobo having the ability was of no use.

The SR-X has the 2011 socket and can fit v2 Xeons.. Also, the E5-1650s are overclock able iirc but they're limited to SP configurations...

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

10 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

please AMD please dont screw up the price, thats what it all comes down too. even if they cant deliver +40% IPC and it runns slower then Intel chips price is key, right now the only reason to ever get and AMD CPU is for cheapo stream machines that can use the cores but if you could bring similar to hasswell e IPC at around the same clock speed at the price of an I5 for the 4c/8t one or similar that would sell like willdfire probably 

I'm gonna be hugely disappoint if they cant at least match haswell IPC with a similar performance per watt and 'approachable' price.

This *has* to be the great comeback, or amd is just done for it...

24 minutes ago, manikyath said:

FSP group, guessing one of their cheaper ones, like all fsp group units it suffers from 'yateloon-itis' its a shoddy oem "only 12v and 5vsb" unit, and lacks any connectors aside of a cpu 4-pin, and a mobo 12-pin (not 24, 12. Including one unused pin)

At least it's 80+ bronze...

#sub70%MR

PMSL

6 hours ago, manikyath said:

This *has* to be the great comeback, or amd is just done for it...

I don't see a comeback. That's not to say I'm not happy AMD is catching up.

Intel is just so far ahead. For a very long time now all consumer Intel CPUs have just been waterfall from their Xeon line down to the consumer models. AMD with individual core IPC equivalent of Haswell, but now you get 8 of them? Intel will just push another not so fresh CPU from the Xeon line to a consumer segment...

So I'm happy AMD got zen out, cuz in not too long I'll be able to buy a consumer Intel 8 core CPU. 

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS