Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TorontoJames

Listen, Speak and Record Simultaneously

Posted · Original PosterOP

Scenario: A person wants to simultaneously listen to a speech audio file, repeat what he or she hears aloud into a microphone, and have that input go to an AI speech-to-text program such as Dragon.

Q – Is this easily achievable by simply using a headset (headphones and mic together) in the same I/O? After all, with a headset for gaming, or Skype for that matter, there is audio output and input simultaneously.

Or, is this more complicated?

Would one have to have a set-up such as the following:

-          - A separate audio output to headphones only, and;

-          - A separate mic such as a USB Snowball or an Antlion ModMic 4.0 (video below) going to a separate I/O audio input?

If so, do you know the name of / have links for USB headphones (no mic).

Reason I ask: the Antlion uses a 3.5 mm input. At my end, we just have – don’t laugh – Dell Inspiron’s, each with 1 x 3.5 mm I/O, but each with lots of USB ports. Standard Realtek Audio Cards.

Perhaps to put this another way, in the Antlion ModMic 4.0 video below, how would Linus’s set up work with only one 3.5 mm I/O? Two are needed: one for the Antlion and one for the headphones. Yes, one answer is a system with 2 x 3.5 mm I/Os. But again, with a low-drawer Dell with 1 x 3.5 mm I/O, how could one achieve the scenario spelled out at the start of this post?

When in doubt, ask LTT Forums.

Thanks - James