Oculus sued by ZeniMax

CyDone

According to the reports, one of the chief engineers of the Oculus worked for ZeniMax and stole the tech to make Oculus.  If it's true, I guess this could mean the end for Oculus?

"For many years, ZeniMax invested tens of millions of dollars in research and development, including research into virtual reality and immersive technologies. In 2011 and 2012, John Carmack, a singularly experienced and highly proficient ZeniMax programmer who was at that time Technical Director for ZeniMax’s Texas-based subsidiary, id Software, conducted research to address technological issues associated with virtual reality," the complaint reads. "Carmack and other ZeniMax employees conducted that research at ZeniMax offices, on ZeniMax computers, and using ZeniMax resources."

http://www.polygon.com/2016/8/22/12590352/oculus-rift-facebook-zenimax-carmack

zenimax are just butthurt. Pretty sure carmack left zenimax because they wouldn't let him work on VR related projects. Carmack will get ya: 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

5 minutes ago, CyDone said:

According to the reports, one of the chief engineers of the Oculus worked for ZeniMax and stole the tech to make Oculus.  If it's true, I guess this could mean the end for Oculus?

http://www.polygon.com/2016/8/22/12590352/oculus-rift-facebook-zenimax-carmack

We could only hope, however even if they lost oculus would likely still be around since facebook owns it now

Also read the the guidelines for this subforum since you need to follow certain formats or mods will move your topic

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

pretty sure FaceBook is a lot larger than ZeniMax so even if ZeniMax wins Oculus will still be around

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

We could only hope, however even if they lost oculus would likely still be around since facebook owns it now

Also read the the guidelines for this subforum since you need to follow certain formats or mods will move your topic

I did read the guidelines and I followed them by editing the post with a quote from the article.  Other than that, I gave my opinion, the link to the article is from a reputable site and my title is relevant to the topic.

1 minute ago, CyDone said:

I did read the guidelines and I followed them by editing the post with a quote from the article.  Other than that, I gave my opinion, the link to the article is from a reputable site and my title is relevant to the topic.

I know, I saw your post before you edited it, hence why I put a slash through that line

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 minute ago, themaniac said:

pretty sure FaceBook is a lot larger than ZeniMax so even if ZeniMax wins Oculus will still be around

Depending on what is being demanded, it doesn't matter if Facebook or Microsoft bought the tech.  If it's stolen tech, they will end up owning nothing if ZeniMax has enough proof to push it that far.

Zen probably had Carmack working on military stuff at the time, working on ways to cope with VR sickness in flight simulation. I wouldn't be surprised if Zen lost some lucrative contracts to Oculus, and Carmack continued working on the same stuff. This lawsuit will probably go nowhere, or end up being settled out of court.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

The chief engineer in question is John Carmack, who is one of the founders of id software, and who designed the code for games like the original DOOM, Wolfenstein 3D, and for id software's various gaming engines over the years.

On 30/07/2016 at 0:17 PM, Delicieuxz said:

Carmack is not accused of stealing someone else's written code, and Zenimax does not claim to have directed or possessed any of the code that their lawsuit is demanding they receive dividends from.

Zenimax argues that any code which Carmack produced while still under contract to them, even code produced outside of the professional projects Carmack worked on for Zenimax, is the rightful property of Zenimax, and therefore they should be receiving dividends from any profits of that code. The code in question is not any particularly-defined code, because Zenimax don't know what code Carmack produced for VR projects while under contract to them, and have never held any such code within their possession. The code in question is code that Carmack is the sole originator, writer, and possessor of, and which he made, claimedly, during his own spare time, but during a time period while he was still professionally employed by Zenimax.

Zenimax is just claiming that any and all code which Carmack wrote while being an employee of theirs should be their property, without knowing exactly what code Carmack did or didn't make outside of their projects.

Bethesda suing Oculus is like someone hearing that a neighbour on their street won the lottery, and then figuring there ought to be a way they should be able to get a part of it because they used to lend them their lawn-mower, and that somehow enabled them to buy the ticket and win, and so they sue. It's a greedy sense of entitlement and opportunism.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

The lawsuit is ancient news. What's changed is that Zenimax updated their claims against Oculus back in May, and that updated court document has now been made public.

Hey now, it's not just "one of the chief engineers" it's John motherfucking Carmack we're talking about here. And if somebody snatched one of the most talented coders of the last 30 years from you well you'd be as salty as the lake in Utah as well.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Anything bad for Oculus is  thumbs up from me

chiakidance.gif

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

This news has been around since facebook acquired oculus. Why is it here. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Lol. Good luck with that suit, ZeniMax :P

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

1 hour ago, goodtofufriday said:

This news has been around since facebook acquired oculus. Why is it here. 

Because ZeniMax has updated their case with more specific information and allegations.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/08/oculus-lawsuit-now-alleges-false-and-fanciful-origin-story-stolen-files/

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

47 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Because ZeniMax has updated their case with more specific information and allegations.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/08/oculus-lawsuit-now-alleges-false-and-fanciful-origin-story-stolen-files/

Then that should be included in the main post, not 8 comments down in a link. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

On 24 August 2016 at 9:31 PM, That Norwegian Guy said:

Anything bad for Oculus is  thumbs up from me

chiakidance.gif

This is one of the few times that I would think otherwise, I hope Zenimax loses this one. You shouldn't "own" employee work from personal time and these new allegations sound far fetched and I'd like some better evidence with them.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

On 8/24/2016 at 6:17 PM, goodtofufriday said:

Then that should be included in the main post, not 8 comments down in a link. 

I'm on tech news sites, facebook and youtube all the time.  I've literally never heard of facebook being sued over Oculus.  And given how much Luke talks about VR stuff, I would think I would have heard it from him, on LTT.  Maybe I missed that video.  Sorry, but when I saw that article, it really was the first time I heard of this.  And re-reading the article, it also states that the suit was amended, so reading the article before complaining usually helps as well.

The suit was originally filed shortly after Oculus was purchased by Facebook more than two years ago. I remember because I thought, "Facebook must not have known about this."

On 8/24/2016 at 10:47 PM, Castdeath97 said:

This is one of the few time that I would think otherwise, I hope Zenimax loses this one. You shouldn't "own" employee work from personal time and these new allegations sound far fetched and I'd like some better evidence with them.

It wasn't on his personal time, it was work John Carmack did for a Zenimax VR project, Carmack even admits that the VR work he did for Zenimax is owned by Zenimax but none of the work he did for Zenimax was used for the Rift. I get the impression that Zenimax is telling the truth, Carmack stole everything claimed, but he used it to guide employees instead of using the work itself...kind of like sketch artists I guess, being told a rough outline but not getting a super clear picture. He apparently has no VR patents of his own, probably for this reason exactly. In other words, guilty, but covered his tracks enough not to get in trouble.

50 minutes ago, Yog said:

The suit was originally filed shortly after Oculus was purchased by Facebook more than two years ago. I remember because I thought, "Facebook must not have known about this."

It wasn't on his personal time, it was work John Carmack did for a Zenimax VR project, Carmack even admits that the VR work he did for Zenimax is owned by Zenimax but none of the work he did for Zenimax was used for the Rift. I get the impression that Zenimax is telling the truth, Carmack stole everything claimed, but he used it to guide employees instead of using the work itself...kind of like sketch artists I guess, being told a rough outline but not getting a super clear picture. He apparently has no VR patents of his own, probably for this reason exactly. In other words, guilty, but covered his tracks enough not to get in trouble.

I'd like some source for that l since it doesn't meet the common picture I see around here.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide