Project Light Tether Pt 2 (Finale)

Would love to see a follow up in a year, to see if the solution has become more affordable (because of the expensive technology Linus mentioned at the end)

12 hours ago, nicklmg said:

@Vitalius wut duh heq. Respecc ur elders m8

Is this a Smash Bros. meme I see? :^)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

25 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Would definitely need a more complicated system than a hook with the amount of movement required with Vive.

a hook on a removable boom arm?

heres a link to a project i had a few months ago my project

if somehow i can get the weight down it would be even better.

linus did a vid of that dans fanless case and that would help a lot it would be like cutting off half my computer case i have now and the weight too so i could almost be down to like 10-15 points and with it be on a hitching backpack you wont even feel that weight

21 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Linus addressed this in the reply to this Tweet 

fair enough :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

13 hours ago, nicklmg said:

@Vitalius wut duh heq. Respecc ur elders m8

Hmmmm... He's been on the forums longer than you have :P He's the forum elder, at least.

The Vive's price physically hurts me, but I suppose that's the price of early adoption.

i read linus twitter post and if he only saw my idea it could work

47 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Linus addressed this in the reply to this Tweet 

Yeah, but the link I posted was about the supposed light tether that htc is going to sell, not about the ceiling mount.

5 minutes ago, Pdates said:

Yeah, but the link I posted was about the supposed light tether that htc is going to sell, not about the ceiling mount.

Guess I should've just posted the direct link instead of being lazy and referring to the replies:

Just now, nicklmg said:

Guess I should've just posted the direct link instead of being lazy and referring to the replies:

Wait, the light tether is already out. The lenght is a good point, but i don't see weight as being a problem, I assume that the tether isn't that heavy, because I never had an HTC Vive in my hands. But if it's heavy, it would be lighter than a backpack with power banks and all of those things that he stuffed in it.

anybody know how much that backpack weight at the end?

2 minutes ago, Pdates said:

Wait, the light tether is already out. The lenght is a good point, but i don't see weight as being a problem, I assume that the tether isn't that heavy, because I never had an HTC Vive in my hands. But if it's heavy, it would be lighter than a backpack with power banks and all of those things that he stuffed in it.

The issue with weight is not the weight itself, it's where the weight is distributed. Weight on your back/torso still isn't great, but it's better than excess weight on your head/neck.

you could use a ceiling mount if you put the computer on your back and only thing in the ceiling mount is a extension cord in a counter weight pulley.

the dans case you did a vid on with a backpack frame and a pole to hold the extension cord will work, the weight of the backpack system would only be like 10-15 pounds and a lot of the weight will be held up by the backpack frame. much easier to get out too all you would have to do is unbuckle yourself.

over ceiling is possible, i put my computer on my back and only cord i have now is a extension cord

cable test