Project Light Tether Pt 2 (Finale)

@nicklmg

The link for the HTC Vive is incor-rekt. This is what I get when I click it:

Amazon-link-nicklmg-screwedup.png

git gud scrub

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Maybe the Vive 2 will just have thunderbolt natively so it's one thin cable right to the headset without the need for other expensive stuff.  Also perhaps as a way to avoid the tether stomping issues, have it run to a hook in the centre of the ceiling so it hangs down to you wherever you go without getting in the way.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Maybe the Vive 2 will just have thunderbolt natively so it's one thin cable right to the headset without the need for other expensive stuff.  Also perhaps as a way to avoid the tether stomping issues, have it run to a hook in the centre of the ceiling so it hangs down to you wherever you go without getting in the way.

Yep I'm sure the hanging tether would probably work. But good luck getting anyone (aside from the super-rich and the super-passionate) to install that in their house, or getting your landlord to allow you to install the inevitably permanent mounting structure it would come with ^_^ haha

1 minute ago, nicklmg said:

Yep I'm sure the hanging tether would probably work. But good luck getting anyone (aside from the super-rich and the super-passionate) to install that in their house, or getting your landlord to allow you to install the inevitably permanent mounting structure it would come with ^_^ haha

Well I mean if you've already installed the corner beacon things... :D

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

@Vitalius wut duh heq. Respecc ur elders m8

No clue how that happened, thanks for pointing it out :D fixed now.

Hue, I like to rustle jimmies at times. All meant in jest. :)

Glad it's fixed.

Honestly, I'm probably gonna wait til Gen 2 of VR headsets before grabbing one. Possibly cheaper, or better hardware for the same money and all. 

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'd be more interested in USB C but only if it keeps the stranglehold on the connector market that USB has currently. 

>splices wrong wires
>it just werks

The more I watch Linus, the more scripting feels apparent. I could be wrong. Not that it matters.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Good video. I like how Linus kind of ghetto modded some of the cables. I always get triggered, lol xD, when Linus says "a-GAIN-sts", is that a Canadian thing?

But can you use the dp signal to watch dp videos ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

16 minutes ago, Vitalius said:

Hue, I like to rustle jimmies at times. All meant in jest. :)

Glad it's fixed.

Honestly, I'm probably gonna wait til Gen 2 of VR headsets before grabbing one. Possibly cheaper, or better hardware for the same money and all. 

I'd be more interested in USB C but only if it keeps the stranglehold on the connector market that USB has currently. 

>splices wrong wires
>it just werks

The more I watch Linus, the more scripting feels apparent. I could be wrong. Not that it matters.

Reviews are definitely scripted. Moments like Linus splicing the wires improperly and Dennis putting his foot through the roof are 100% genuine, and while hilarious on video, are horrible in the moment LOL.

I feel like the entire project would be made so much simpler if their was a way to just pull a single thunderbolt connection from the Vive rather than needing to pull all those other connections and then feed them into a thunderbolt dock inside a backpack and then feed a single thunderbolt cable to the PC. A Thunderbolt only Vive would work very well for this I think. Also I could totally see someone eventually selling something like Linus mentioned at the end a body pack type of thing, basically a military plate carrier with special pouches would work fine for this and they're super comfortable to wear since they are fairly tight.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Hey guys, how about mounting the heavy stuff on the ceiling?
I assume that is not the greatest idea since there would be a lot of cables hanging around.

I didn't use the Vive personally but it seems like the easiest solution would be feeding original tether from a ceiling instead of lying on ground. You could fine tune the concept with some smart method of providing sufficient length of cable without dragging Vive user. 

54 minutes ago, hypenator said:

I assume that is not the greatest idea since there would be a lot of cables hanging around.

I didn't use the Vive personally but it seems like the easiest solution would be feeding original tether from a ceiling instead of lying on ground. You could fine tune the concept with some smart method of providing sufficient length of cable without dragging Vive user. 

Yes, I agree. I was thinking of using a ceiling mounted boom arm that could run the cables and simply follow the player instead of having all the cables lying on the floor, getting tangled up, and posing a tripping hazard.

Spoiler

BRING IT ON TROLLS!

'' Super, Heavy,Thick '' - Linus.

These are the words i use when i get undressed  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)  .

(⌐■_■) 

It would be way cooler if they made a full pc inside a solid backpack like the Solid Gray backpack. It's completely solid (even on the back) so it would be possible to make cutouts for cables, motherboard mount system and fans for getting cool air in/out. There should definitely be some thought about heat and power management. The fact that full pascal GPU's can even be put into notebooks would mean it should be possible to find some form of battery to power this pc for a reasonable amount of time.

@LinusTech @nicklmg

06750.a.zoom.jpgSpray-Balancer.jpg

Forget the backpack and adapters and just use the original cables with one of these and a spring balancer (set to just enough pull to keep it off the ground but not impede movement). Cheaper, easier, lighter, and no cables on the ground.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

Just want to throw my hat in as really enjoying these videos. The informality and experimental aspect of videos like this and Whole Room Watercooling is pretty great.

Don't let the negative 12-year-olds on YouTube change your content.

6 hours ago, hypenator said:

5 hours ago, Enduro said:

Yes, I agree. I was thinking of using a ceiling mounted boom arm that could run the cables and simply follow the player instead of having all the cables lying on the floor, getting tangled up, and posing a tripping hazard.

To quote myself :) :

"Yep I'm sure the hanging tether would probably work. But good luck getting anyone (aside from the super-rich and the super-passionate) to install that in their house, or getting your landlord to allow you to install the inevitably permanent mounting structure it would come with ^_^ haha"

9 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

To quote myself :) :

"Yep I'm sure the hanging tether would probably work. But good luck getting anyone (aside from the super-rich and the super-passionate) to install that in their house, or getting your landlord to allow you to install the inevitably permanent mounting structure it would come with ^_^ haha"

idk, first off I don't think it would be that big of a deal.  If you're thinking it would be expensive or difficult, you're probably not thinking of what I am.  Plus having a vive pretty much requires that you have a dedicated VR room anyway - you need the space, place to install the tracking beacons, etc. - and if you can afford the headset, the computer to run it, and the space in your house to do all that, doing it right with a ceiling-mounted cable holder probably wouldn't be a big deal to add... imo at least :D

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

idk, first off I don't think it would be that big of a deal.  If you're thinking it would be expensive or difficult, you're probably not thinking of what I am.  Plus having a vive pretty much requires that you have a dedicated VR room anyway - you need the space, place to install the tracking beacons, etc. - and if you can afford the headset, the computer to run it, and the space in your house to do all that, doing it right with a ceiling-mounted cable holder probably wouldn't be a big deal to add... imo at least :D

I'm certainly not saying it's not possible. But, especially in dense urban areas, people aren't going to have a full room dedicated to VR unless they're extremely well-off.

In some cases it's definitely possible. But unless you're securing this kind of thing to a wall in your house/apartment/condo/whatever, the structure is going to have to be relatively big and difficult to set up and tear down. And if you're someone living with a partner who isn't an avid VR gamer like you, then they're probably not going to want to have this weird structure for your gaming time out when company comes over.

Just my 2c :P I know Linus always comments on how much Yvonne hates having the lighthouses up in the living room haha

3 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

I'm certainly not saying it's not possible. But, especially in dense urban areas, people aren't going to have a full room dedicated to VR unless they're extremely well-off.

In some cases it's definitely possible. But unless you're securing this kind of thing to a wall in your house/apartment/condo/whatever, the structure is going to have to be relatively big and difficult to set up and tear down. And if you're someone living with a partner who isn't an avid VR gamer like you, then they're probably not going to want to have this weird structure for your gaming time out when company comes over.

Just my 2c :P I know Linus always comments on how much Yvonne hates having the lighthouses up in the living room haha

Dunno if I'm getting this all wrong but just having the pc on the ground and have the tether go trough a hook on the ceiling wouldn't be bulky or need a lot of support from a mounting structure

You could even hang a light on the hook when you're not using the vive

5 minutes ago, Gert Verhoek said:

Dunno if I'm getting this all wrong but just having the pc on the ground and have the tether go trough a hook on the ceiling wouldn't be bulky or need a lot of support from a mounting structure

You could even hang a light on the hook when you're not using the vive

Would definitely need a more complicated system than a hook with the amount of movement required with Vive.

1 minute ago, nicklmg said:

Would definitely need a more complicated system than a hook with the amount of movement required with Vive.

I like this idea:

3 hours ago, pyrojoe34 said:
Spoiler

Spray-Balancer.jpg