DP to dvi adapters

Rec

So I finally got my Asus 1080 graphics card, but realised it only have 1 dvi, 2 Displayports and 2 HDMI ports. I got 2 144hz monitors but they only have dvi and hdmi ports. So I heard you cant use simple cable adapters (dp to dvi) because its singlelink, I need dual link to get the full use of 144hz. So I cant use hdmi either. I dont know what adapter to buy, anyone here that can help me?

30 minutes ago, Rec said:

So I finally got my Asus 1080 graphics card, but realised it only have 1 dvi, 2 Displayports and 2 HDMI ports. I got 2 144hz monitors but they only have dvi and hdmi ports. So I heard you cant use simple cable adapters (dp to dvi) because its singlelink, I need dual link to get the full use of 144hz. So I cant use hdmi either. I dont know what adapter to buy, anyone here that can help me?

That's correct, unfortunately you will need a DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI converter, which is going to be a lot more expensive than a simple adapter, and they're often not reliable... I can give you some suggestions but there aren't any I can really vouch for.

https://www.amazon.com/Accell-B087B-002B-UltraAV-DisplayPort-Dual-Link/dp/B002ISVI3U/ref=cm_rdp_product

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-MDP2DVID-DisplayPort-Dual-Link-Powered/dp/B004I6L6DW/ref=cm_rdp_product (you would also need a DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort adapter, they are cheap and won't affect anything)

You may also see a lot of cheaper converters ("active adapters") around $20-30, these are also Single-Link DVI only and are intended for DisplayPort ports which do not support passive DVI/HDMI adapters at all.

Out of curiosity are you using the BenQ XL2411Z?

2 hours ago, Glenwing said:

That's correct, unfortunately you will need a DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI converter, which is going to be a lot more expensive than a simple adapter, and they're often not reliable... I can give you some suggestions but there aren't any I can really vouch for.

https://www.amazon.com/Accell-B087B-002B-UltraAV-DisplayPort-Dual-Link/dp/B002ISVI3U/ref=cm_rdp_product

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-MDP2DVID-DisplayPort-Dual-Link-Powered/dp/B004I6L6DW/ref=cm_rdp_product (you would also need a DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort adapter, they are cheap and won't affect anything)

You may also see a lot of cheaper converters ("active adapters") around $20-30, these are also Single-Link DVI only and are intended for DisplayPort ports which do not support passive DVI/HDMI adapters at all.

Out of curiosity are you using the BenQ XL2411Z?

Okay, so thats what I need to buy.. quite expensive but I only need one so I guess thats okay. Gotta buy displays with DP in the future. Thanks!

And yeah I got 2 BenQ XL2411Z, I didnt think that far ahead that I would need Displayports when I bought them..

How about a DP -> HDMI cable?

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

5 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

The monitor only takes a 144 Hz signal over Dual-Link DVI.

Oh, OK.

Still, I suggest @Rec refers to this:

Specifically the " Complete list of adapter compatibility and limitations " part

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

7 minutes ago, vojta.pokorny said:

Oh, OK.

Still, I suggest @Rec refers to this:

Specifically the " Complete list of adapter compatibility and limitations " part

That only covers passive adapters, although it does tell you that passive adapters won't work for this :)

The whole thing needs a rework anyway though, it's a bit of a mess lol