Decent camera that can do 720p 120fps

SPG

Hey guys, I'm looking for decently priced camera that can record at least 720p 120fps
my friend didn't really give me a price range (which is somewhat bad because you could probably get anything from $200-$600) so maybe something that is $200-$300 which pretty good picture quality. His lens attach to nikkon (I don't know much about cameras so I don't know if that's helpful or not)
If you need any other info I'm sure I can supply it. I basically know nothing about cameras what so ever.

2 minutes ago, SPG said:

Hey guys, I'm looking for decently priced camera that can record at least 720p 120fps
my friend didn't really give me a price range (which is somewhat bad because you could probably get anything from $200-$600) so maybe something that is $200-$300 which pretty good picture quality. His lens attach to nikkon (I don't know much about cameras so I don't know if that's helpful or not)
If you need any other info I'm sure I can supply it. I basically know nothing about cameras what so ever.

Find a cracked screen IPhone 6. Since the screen is cracked, it'll sell for less, and it can record 720/240fps actually. If you don't want the cracked screen, go refurb 5S

17 minutes ago, WSADKeysGaming said:

Find a cracked screen IPhone 6. Since the screen is cracked, it'll sell for less, and it can record 720/240fps actually. If you don't want the cracked screen, go refurb 5S

he wants an actual camera

23 minutes ago, SPG said:

*nikon

Does he want to use these lenses?  Sounds like it... I assume they're for a DSLR though?  They're not really ideal for video... perhaps @ALwin has some suggestions.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

53 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

*nikon

Does he want to use these lenses?  Sounds like it... I assume they're for a DSLR though?  They're not really ideal for video... perhaps @ALwin has some suggestions.

ya its for a dslr, and yes he wants to actually use them (which is why i don't understand why the other person is suggesting what he is)
but everyone has been using them for video recently and been suggesting them sooo ya. Also my friend has been doing youtube as well, but you probably assumed that already.

3 minutes ago, SPG said:

ya its for a dslr, and yes he wants to actually use them (which is why i don't understand why the other person is suggesting what he is)
but everyone has been using them for video recently and been suggesting them sooo ya. Also my friend has been doing youtube as well, but you probably assumed that already.

Well there are certain disadvantages to using a DSLR for video.  First off, many limit maximum recording duration to something like 10, 20, or 30 minutes.  I believe it's to prevent the sensor from overheating as, being primarily a still camera, they aren't designed for continuous use.  Second, many are also considerably behind on video oriented features compared to even vastly cheaper video cameras: Auto-focus (which, say what you like but some will want this) can be slow, obvious, and poor while recording, many don't support higher resolutions like 4K or higher framerates like 120 fps, and finally, they are often awkward to hold in a filming scenario vs something designed to do video recording.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

9 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well there are certain disadvantages to using a DSLR for video.  First off, many limit maximum recording duration to something like 10, 20, or 30 minutes.  I believe it's to prevent the sensor from overheating as, being primarily a still camera, they aren't designed for continuous use.  Second, many are also considerably behind on video oriented features compared to even vastly cheaper video cameras: Auto-focus (which, say what you like but some will want this) can be slow, obvious, and poor while recording, many don't support higher resolutions like 4K or higher framerates like 120 fps, and finally, they are often awkward to hold in a filming scenario vs something designed to do video recording.

It actually isn't about overheating, it's about the 4GB file size limits. This can be overcome by reformatting the drive to a format that supports larger files, then in most cameras you go into the settings and change it to that format and you can then record until your battery dies.

16 minutes ago, WSADKeysGaming said:

It actually isn't about overheating, it's about the 4GB file size limits. This can be overcome by reformatting the drive to a format that supports larger files, then in most cameras you go into the settings and change it to that format and you can then record until your battery dies.

Hm, that would make sense, but, while I can't recall where I heard it was because of heat, I'm fairly sure it was a reliable source... I'll have to look into it a bit more.

If the setup doesn't have to be very mobile then check out USB machine vision cameras (like Point Grey Research). Those can record 8 or 12-14 bit uncompressed datastreams. I have a IMX178 based mono camera and via USB3 I can capture 3096×2080 at 60fps or for example 1280×960 at 130fps ;)

46 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Hm, that would make sense, but, while I can't recall where I heard it was because of heat, I'm fairly sure it was a reliable source... I'll have to look into it a bit more.

I'd second you about it being about overheating - if you use a dSLR to record video longer than a few minutes, you'll quickly start to see the image quality degrade; your video will start to look it's using higher and higher ISO settings as the amount of noise increases.

I've never seen a camera that allows you to change the format of the memory card - certainly, my Nikon D7000 doesn't (although I'm aware that it's not a new camera, it's not that old). You may be able to format the card as exFAT rather than FAT32, and the camera may work with it - YMMV.

Just now, Flibblebot said:

I'd second you about it being about overheating - if you use a dSLR to record video longer than a few minutes, you'll quickly start to see the image quality degrade; your video will start to look it's using higher and higher ISO settings as the amount of noise increases.

I've never seen a camera that allows you to change the format of the memory card - certainly, my Nikon D7000 doesn't (although I'm aware that it's not a new camera, it's not that old). You may be able to format the card as exFAT rather than FAT32, and the camera may work with it - YMMV.

Me mums old fujifilm had an exfat option

Just now, WSADKeysGaming said:

Me mums old fujifilm had an exfat option

Had to format on a PC first before you selected it obviously 

There isn't a DSLR that can record 720p120, without some sort of firmware hack (if it's at all possible).

There are camcorders capable of it, but they are in the $500+ price range.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1022657-REG/sony_hdrcx900_b_hdr_cx900_full_hd_handycam.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1211905-REG/sony_fdrax53_b_fdr_ax53_4k_ultra_hd.html

If you want a camera that can record 720p120 and uses an interchangeable lens system... it will cost more than $1000.

A GoPro and some other sports/action cameras can record 720p120 at least.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

the 29 minute limit is to avoid tax, since cameras that record more than 30 minutes are classed as video cameras and have a tax associated with it

42 minutes ago, Flibblebot said:

if you use a dSLR to record video longer than a few minutes, you'll quickly start to see the image quality degrade; your video will start to look it's using higher and higher ISO settings as the amount of noise increases.

What the heck are you talking about? ive recorded hours and hours of footage using DSLRs and mirrorless cameras (either multiple 29 min recordings or to an external recorder

While its true some cameras can have overheating problems, this does not degrade the image, it just forces the camera to to turn off while it cools down 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

doesn't the gopro lack focus and no way to actually see what its recording aside from guessing

2 minutes ago, SPG said:

doesn't the gopro lack focus and no way to actually see what its recording aside from guessing

You can use your phone as a monitor wirelessly. With a Go Pro, everything is in focus and you don't have any fine control over it.

The reason the other guy was suggesting an IPhone 6 or GoPro is because they are the best cheap cameras you can get if you need high frame rate recording (though I'm fairly sure the iPhone uses interpolated frames rather than true 240p).

120FPS is a technical challenge with limited uses and therefore very few cameras have it, even at the multi-thousand dollar price point. Certainly no cameras with Nikon lens mount have it - video cameras nearly all use Canon EF, Arri PL or Sony E mounts. DSLRs are designed to take photos and video is an afterthought. 

It's also a lot harder to shoot at 120FPS+ since lighting becomes difficult to work with.

It may be hard for consumer devices, but not for machine vision ;) If you have a T-thread (or C/CS which can adapt to T-thread) then you should be able to "easily" adapt to any lens thread too. Amateur astrophotography has this covered.

Sony A6300 can do 1080p 120 hz, but it is very expensive, and cant use nikon lenses without some sort of adapter(I do not know a lot about that)

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

3 minutes ago, Mihle Gaming said:

Sony A6300 can do 1080p 120 hz, but it is very expensive, and cant use nikon lenses without some sort of adapter(I do not know a lot about that)

I have to assume an adapter exists, but I would imagine it would be impossible to do without having some thickness.  This would effectively act as a small extension tube, so I hope OP's not planning to film anything too distant from the camera :P

24 minutes ago, Mihle Gaming said:

Sony E-mount requires a Nikon F to Sony E mount adapter to mount Nikon lenses.  The adapter is a dumb adapter, meaning everything about the lens will become manual.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

3 minutes ago, ALwin said:

Sony E-mount requires a Nikon F to Sony E mount adapter to mount Nikon lenses.  The adapter is a dumb adapter, meaning everything about the lens will become manual.

Am I right that such a thing would hold the lens a little farther from the camera than normal?  Or did they somehow magically manage to make it fit flush?

11 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Am I right that such a thing would hold the lens a little farther from the camera than normal?  Or did they somehow magically manage to make it fit flush?

It will definitely hold the lens away from the body.  A Nikon F to Sony E adapter would have a thickness of 28.5mm, but you also have to remember that Nikon F lenses are designed for camera bodies with a long flange distance (46.5mm) while Sony E mount bodies have a very short flange distance (18mm).  So the mount adapter should be just thick enough to compensate for the differences in flange distances.

If you are trying to do the reverse, mounting a short flange distance lens on a long flange distance body, you lose the ability to focus to infinity else the adapter must contain a corrective optical element inside.

Canon EF to Sony E mount adapters exist in both dumb versions and electronic versions that translate the electronic signals of Canon lenses to the Sony system so that the lens' aperture and focus can be controlled by the camera.  With Nikon, the electronic adapters are still in their early commercial stages.  However, none of these electronic adapters are perfect, even very expensive Metabones Speedboosters.  They still suffer from glitches and firmware bugs time to time.

1 minute ago, ALwin said:

It will definitely hold the lens away from the body.  A Nikon F to Sony E adapter would have a thickness of 28.5mm, but you also have to remember that Nikon F lenses are designed for camera bodies with a long flange distance (46.5mm) while Sony E mount bodies have a very short flange distance (18mm).  So the mount adapter should be just thick enough to compensate for the differences in flange distances.

Oh, interesting. That's convenient :D 

If you are trying to do the reverse, mounting a short flange distance lens on a long flange distance body, you lose the ability to focus to infinity else the adapter must contain a corrective optical element inside.

Yes, that's what I was worried about:

44 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I have to assume an adapter exists, but I would imagine it would be impossible to do without having some thickness.  This would effectively act as a small extension tube, so I hope OP's not planning to film anything too distant from the camera :P

Canon EF to Sony E mount adapters exist in both dumb versions and electronic versions that translate the electronic signals of Canon lenses to the Sony system so that the lens' aperture and focus can be controlled by the camera.  With Nikon, the electronic adapters are still in their early commercial stages.  However, none of these electronic adapters are perfect, even very expensive Metabones Speedboosters.  They still suffer from glitches and firmware bugs time to time.

Good to know...

19 hours ago, Dredgy said:

You can use your phone as a monitor wirelessly. With a Go Pro, everything is in focus and you don't have any fine control over it.

The reason the other guy was suggesting an IPhone 6 or GoPro is because they are the best cheap cameras you can get if you need high frame rate

yey im the other guy

foreveralone no more