PlayStation Now coming to PC

GoodBytes

If you are unfamiliar, PlayStation Now is a paid cloud gaming service from Sony, allowing to play older PlayStation games. The service allowed PlayStation 4 users to play PlayStation 3 games.

Basically, the PS4 doesn't have the capability to play PS3 games. So, Sony has PS3's in a server type environment with a huge selection of games (or most likely uses an emulator running on a powerful set of servers), which you remote access to it from the PS4, to play old gen games.

The technology is nothing really new. We had OnLive (which Sony acquired them) and NVIDIA Grid service, and probably other that doesn't come to mind. They use a protocol and have a really good connection on the server side to minimize input lag greatly (you still need a good home connection, of course).

Now, Sony has revealed that the service is coming to PC.

To enjoy the service, you need the following specs as minimum:

• Windows 7 (SP1), 8.1 or 10
  • 3.5 GHz Intel Core i3 or 3.8 GHz AMD A10 or faster
  • 300 MB or more; 2 GB or more of RAM
  • Sound card; USB port

And of course you need a PS4 controller and a good internet connection for the best visuals and low latency.

How to connect a PS3 controller to your PC? Well like Microsoft, Sony reveals a special adapter for it:

29055258292_cdc0954b4e_z.jpg

And it will be available starting next month for $24.99 US.

No information revealed on the number of controller this adapter supports. We know that the XBox One wireless adapter supports up to 8 controllers, or up to 4 if you use voice chat feature.

The XBox 360 controller adapter only supported 1, so you needed 1 adapter per controller. So it is possible that Sony does the same. We need to wait to find out.

[Update]: You need 1 adapter per controller! [/Update]

If you wonder why you need the adapter. Sony uses a modified version Bluetooth. It will connect to Bluetooth, but you'll need a translator, and you have increase input lag over if you connect the controller to the PC (or so is what is claimed... I have no data on this). This is something similar that Nintendo does. If you wonder, in the case of Microsoft, they created a wireless protocol to itself which prevents connection without the adapter (unless you get a XBox One S new wireless controller which features standard bluetooth as well as the XBox One wireless protocol). Also Microsoft is working with OEMs and wireless manufacture in adding their wireless technology to PC wireless card. There was a new item on this).

The service cost $19.99 per month and gives you access to 400 games. As these games runs on PS3's or PS3 emulators on servers (most likely, the later), there is no visual boost.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/23/12608318/playstation-now-streaming-pc

Are you interested in playing PS3 games on your PC?

[Update 2]

Service is now available in the US. There is a 7-day trial.

Here is where to sign up: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/reward_game/playstationnow-7-day-trial/cid=IP9101-NPIA90010_01-PSNOWSUB1MOTR000

could be cool, there is a lot of ps3 exclusives that i enjoyed playing at friends houses, as ive never had a ps3. I hope it will work with an xbox controller though, i hate the ps controllers.

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

God damn it I want Bloodborne on PC.

Anyway, I guess that's pretty cool. There's good PS3 games out there. Oh wait, I could play Demon's Souls. All aboard the fun train! Choo choo!

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I know someone who will be very excited about this.  Personally I just like that there's now an easy and official way to use a PS3 controller on PC

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, GreezyJeezy said:

can you just use a wired ps3 controller?

No official drivers. Motioninjoy was a pain the last time I used it.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I know someone who will be very excited about this.  Personally I just like that there's now an easy and official way to use a PS3 controller on PC

Easy being SCP Server

Official being this thing, a glorified bluetooth dongle

1 minute ago, Dogeystyle said:

No official drivers. Motioninjoy was a pain the last time I used it.

before i got my gamepad thats what i used.

I don't see why you need a PS3 controller specifically. I'm sure it's very easy for program to use the ubiquitous X360 drivers that come with Windows out of the box.

Vanquish is probably the only game I would want to play so not worth for me

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

So I'll finally get to play Last of Us?

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

32 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I just wanna play skate 3

no need for added latency of streaming games, just plug the disc into your old console like I will later today with my 360.

I haven't played that game in couple years, thanks for the reminder :)

Rock On!

it's a fucking streaming service

and like every other game streaming service before it, it will fail - remember OnLive? many people don't know what that is and for good reason

even with STEAM Link that streams the game from the next room to your TV you will notice the input delay, how about when the datacenters are located tens of Km away from you?

How long until someone comes up with something to let you use a 360 Controller

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

would prefer an emulator on both the PC and PS4 than game streaming

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Update!

1 adapter needed per controller.

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/8/23/12613394/sony-dualshock-4-adapter-pc-mac-announced

So if you want to play 2 player games, you need 2 adapters and 2 USB ports.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/8/23/12613394/sony-dualshock-4-adapter-pc-mac-announced

I don't see a point in this...I prefer console games from a couch, without the latency issues with streaming. I have a ps4 in the living room for a reason. that being said, being able to officially use the controller is nice. However, I will still stick to using the Xbox Elite Controller and Wireless receiver if I really want to use a controller with a game

58 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Update!

1 adapter needed per controller.

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/8/23/12613394/sony-dualshock-4-adapter-pc-mac-announced

So if you want to play 2 player games, you need 2 adapters and 2 USB ports.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/8/23/12613394/sony-dualshock-4-adapter-pc-mac-announced

Ah, so I assume we'll be seeing a lot of this soon xD 

USBG-20XU1.jpg

And on that topic, is there any news about whether this new dongle will let people just plug in a controller and have it work with any game, like a 360 controller, or if it will only work with this new service/software?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I'd play Journey and The Last of Us then uninstall, but not if I can't use the kontroller I already have.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Ah, so I assume we'll be seeing a lot of this soon xD 

USBG-20XU1.jpg

And on that topic, is there any news about whether this new dingle will let people just plug in a controller and have it work with any game, like a 360 controller, or if it will only work with this new service/software?

This is primarily what i'd be concerned about. Games are generally geared towards 360/xbone controllers, as they are official microsoft products. Like when I play witcher 3 with a xbone controller, the prompts that come up are ABXY etc, now if the PS4 controller worked, would I constantly have to remember what the equivalent button is? 

12 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

And on that topic, is there any news about whether this new dongle will let people just plug in a controller and have it work with any game, like a 360 controller, or if it will only work with this new service/software?

I think you can plug the controller via wire to the PC, but I don't know how you'll get the drivers... all I can think is that it will work with some PlayStation Now software (and probably be the case with the adapter too). I don't know for sure, but I think it works like Nintendo controllers. You can connect them via Bluetooth, but you need some kind of translator to convert controller inputs to Windows standard joystick or XInput to work with games. Buy as r3d3mpt10n said, the game will need to be designed for it, which probably won't and assume the XBox 360/One controller layout, So it will be "Press X to do this", but it is really the Square button to press.