Anxiety over my new 1070, Super worried it's defective.

Vengeance_K1ng
Go to solution Solved by Totalimus,

I play ROTTR on 1080p, maxed out with pure hair on with +60fps no problems.

When it was snowy terrain (not when she and Jacob are climbing the mountain but when she is by herself in that huge russian camp) then my fps dipped as low as 40fps. But everything other than that was excellento. So I wouldn't worry if you had random frame drops in that game.

Hello evreyone, I have made several posts here before, but i want this to conclude all of them together for one definitive answer. SO i got my new MSI GAMING 8GB NON X 1070 in the mail yesterday, since then i have been receiving questionable frame rate in ROTTR. During heavy combat situations on the high preset, I get down to about 60 at some times, which makes me really worried. Doom seems to have taken a shit on me since i cant uncap its frame rate but thats for another day. I have done some benchmarks at stock speed and i am going to post them into an album here: http://imgur.com/a/T5NJ7 . Can you Kind people tell me if the numbers are aquedate to what gpu i have? I have had about 4 stutters aswell in ROTTR but im assuming its from the geothermal valley. Other games seem fine but i thought this card was able to push high settings on all games at a solid 144fps. (the refresh rate of my monitor. in hz,)

Thanks guys, Please post in detail as i like to understand from a neutral point of view.

EDIT (I have noticeable coil whine while gaming, but with headphones on its highly inaudible. I have done 3 different GPU manufactures all have it. little more fucking QC and this shit wont happen...)

EDIT 2: Its not too late to return if you guys suggest.

| CPU: Core i7-4790K  |  Motherboard:  MSI Gaming Z97 GAMING 5 LGA 1150  |  CPU Cooler:  NZXT Kraken X61 |
| GPU: Single 8GB EVGA GTX 1070 FTW |  RAMCorsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz |  CaseCorsair 330R Titanium Edition

Have you tried shutting off the Zero Frozr in the MSI Gaming App so the fans are on under the 60C threshold. Also can you see how many GB of VRAM its reporting?

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

seem like absolutely normal performance to me?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

ROTTR have been know to have problems with nivdia cards I'm pretty sure. But try reinstalling your drivers with DDU and see if that helps. Also hitting 144fps on max settings is a little bit unrealistic on expectations. In some games the even the 1080 can't hit 144fps on max settings @ 1080p.  That's why you should check benchmarks before buying, always, so you know what your should be expecting when you get your gpu.

Build

Mobo: MSI B550 MAG Tomahawk  ||||| Ram: 32 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB ||||| CPU: Ryzen 5800X ||||| GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC ||||| Mouse: Logitech G502 ||||| Headset: Sony WH1000XM3 ||||| Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum ||||| Monitors: Acer XG270HU & LG UltraGear 34GP83A-B ||||| AudioStuff: ONKYO DAC HA200 / Audio Techinca ath-ad900x / MXL TEMPO KR USB Condenser Microphone ||||| Storage: 4 TB WD Black --- 2 TB WD Red --- Toshiba 258 GB M.2  ||||| Custom Loop -  Radiators: 3x360 Rad ||||| Case: LianLi O11d XL Black ||||| PSU: Seasonic X series GOLD 1250w

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9570 4k With a Logitech MX Master

18 minutes ago, Vengeance_K1ng said:

Other games seem fine but i thought this card was able to push high settings on all games at a solid 144fps. (the refresh rate of my monitor. in hz,)

That is highly dependent on the settings and resolution you're using. You can absolutely bring a GTX 1070 down to 60 FPS or less quite easily, if you use the right game. The Witcher 3 with everything turned up runs just over 60 FPS for me (specs in profile). "All games" at high settings at 144 FPS is absolutely untrue.

I definitely don't think you're going to get to a solid 144 FPS @ 1080p in Rise of the Tomb Raider without dropping a lot of settings quite low. 80–90-ish might be a more realistic goal, and even that won't be at max detail.

15 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Have you tried shutting off the Zero Frozr in the MSI Gaming App so the fans are on under the 60C threshold. Also can you see how many GB of VRAM its reporting?

3 minutes ago, typographie said:

That is highly dependent on the settings and resolution you're using. You can absolutely bring a GTX 1070 down to 60 FPS or less quite easily, if you use the right game. The Witcher 3 with everything turned up runs just over 60 FPS for me (specs in profile). "All games" at high settings at 144 FPS is absolutely untrue.

I definitely don't think you're going to get to a solid 144 FPS @ 1080p in Rise of the Tomb Raider without dropping a lot of settings quite low. 80–90-ish might be a more realistic goal, and even that won't be at max detail.

6 minutes ago, YubinTheBunny said:

ROTTR have been know to have problems with nivdia cards I'm pretty sure. But try reinstalling your drivers with DDU and see if that helps. Also hitting 144fps on max settings is a little bit unrealistic on expectations. In some games the even the 1080 can't hit 144fps on max settings @ 1080p.  That's why you should check benchmarks before buying, always, so you know what your should be expecting when you get your gpu.

11 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

seem like absolutely normal performance to me?

Thanks for some insight guys! One more question, I have had 2 EVGA ftw 1070 with coil whine and now this card has coil whine, my psu is not whineing i have not had it with the 980 i used to own.

| CPU: Core i7-4790K  |  Motherboard:  MSI Gaming Z97 GAMING 5 LGA 1150  |  CPU Cooler:  NZXT Kraken X61 |
| GPU: Single 8GB EVGA GTX 1070 FTW |  RAMCorsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz |  CaseCorsair 330R Titanium Edition

Just now, Vengeance_K1ng said:

Thanks for some insight guys! One more question, I have had 2 EVGA ftw 1070 with coil whine and now this card has coil whine, my psu is not whineing i have not had it with the 980 i used to own.

When I was considering either EVGA or MSI for my GTX 1070, I read many reviews on the EVGA 1070 FTW that has coil whine, including their Superclocked cards. Some people get it, some people don't. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Just now, CommanderAlex said:

When I was considering either EVGA or MSI for my GTX 1070, I read many reviews on the EVGA 1070 FTW that has coil whine, including their Superclocked cards. Some people get it, some people don't. 

I dont have the EVGA cards. I have the same one as you the non x version/

2 minutes ago, Vengeance_K1ng said:

Coil whine is fine if your worried your card is breaking or something. But like the silicon, coil whine is pretty much up to lottery in terms of who gets it or not.

Build

Mobo: MSI B550 MAG Tomahawk  ||||| Ram: 32 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB ||||| CPU: Ryzen 5800X ||||| GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC ||||| Mouse: Logitech G502 ||||| Headset: Sony WH1000XM3 ||||| Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum ||||| Monitors: Acer XG270HU & LG UltraGear 34GP83A-B ||||| AudioStuff: ONKYO DAC HA200 / Audio Techinca ath-ad900x / MXL TEMPO KR USB Condenser Microphone ||||| Storage: 4 TB WD Black --- 2 TB WD Red --- Toshiba 258 GB M.2  ||||| Custom Loop -  Radiators: 3x360 Rad ||||| Case: LianLi O11d XL Black ||||| PSU: Seasonic X series GOLD 1250w

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9570 4k With a Logitech MX Master

That firestrike score is comparable to my 1070 system. Can I request something? Install timespy if you haven't already. On a fresh boot, run timespy, firestrike, then timespy. On my 1070 system, the two timespy results are wildly different, with the 1st one far slower. I'm still trying to figure this out... wondering if something similar might be happening here. I haven't noticed any slowdown in actual games though.

I haven't noticed any coil whine on my Zotac FE, but the system has a lot of fan noise...

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Just now, porina said:

That firestrike score is comparable to my 1070 system. Can I request something? Install timespy if you haven't already. On a fresh boot, run timespy, firestrike, then timespy. On my 1070 system, the two timespy results are wildly different, with the 1st one far slower. I'm still trying to figure this out... wondering if something similar might be happening here. I haven't noticed any slowdown in actual games though.

I haven't noticed any coil whine on my Zotac FE, but the system has a lot of fan noise...

Okay so run timespy?

1 minute ago, Vengeance_K1ng said:

I dont have the EVGA cards. I have the same one as you the non x version/

1 minute ago, YubinTheBunny said:

Coil whine is fine if your worried your card is breaking or something. But like the silicon, coil whine is pretty much up to lottery in terms of who gets it or not.

I'd have to agree with Yubin on this. 

Just now, Vengeance_K1ng said:

Okay so run timespy?

On a fresh boot, run timespy, then firestrike, then timespy again (no reboot in between). Just see if the 1st run is as fast as the 2nd one.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

9 minutes ago, porina said:

On a fresh boot, run timespy, then firestrike, then timespy again (no reboot in between). Just see if the 1st run is as fast as the 2nd one.

All seems consistent

I play ROTTR on 1080p, maxed out with pure hair on with +60fps no problems.

When it was snowy terrain (not when she and Jacob are climbing the mountain but when she is by herself in that huge russian camp) then my fps dipped as low as 40fps. But everything other than that was excellento. So I wouldn't worry if you had random frame drops in that game.