Samsung Note 7 (Snapdragon) has terrible performance.

Zeeee

http://www.xda-developers.com/with-the-note-7-samsung-still-delivers-embarrassing-real-world-performance/

What I've been saying based on my experience as a long time user of Samsung galaxy devices, I've  always been telling people don't buy Samsung they are very laggy no matter what newest model you have. People always say oh look at the specs, well i hate to break it to you, specs don't mean anything when the software is so bad on Samsung devices. Its good to finally see some research done into this matter that proves my observation that s5 and s6 and s7 have and now note 7, they are all DAMN SLOW dont buy them if you like android go for a nexus device or oneplus.  

What do you guys think of xda proving that Samsung devices have lag?

Praise Duarte!

The GS6 & GS7 are widely considered to be amongst the fastest phones available by pretty much every respected reviewer. 

Also this post doesn't meet the requirements for posting 8n the news section. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

The GS6 & GS7 are widely considered to be amongst the fastest phones available by pretty much every respected reviewer. 

Also this post doesn't meet the requirements for posting 8n the news section. 

Oh theyre considered the fastest? LOL did you even read my post? Look at the link theres no argument here its just a fact.

@Zeeee

seems like the common denominator is badly optimized google apps.

Would be interesting to see things more in perspective, such as Samsungs "mail" app, vs Gmail. THing is, XDA seems to have a grudge against samsung for more reasons then their performance metrics suggest. So i don't know if it is even a site i should take seriously. Atleast until more data points are brought up.

1 hour ago, Zeeee said:

Oh theyre considered the fastest? LOL did you even read my post? Look at the link theres no argument here its just a fact.

One biased source does not a fact make. 

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I blame touchwiz

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Lucky Aus gets the exynos version because i got my note 7 yesterday and holy balls it's fast.

56 minutes ago, Prysin said:

@Zeeee

seems like the common denominator is badly optimized google apps.

Would be interesting to see things more in perspective, such as Samsungs "mail" app, vs Gmail. THing is, XDA seems to have a grudge against samsung for more reasons then their performance metrics suggest. So i don't know if it is even a site i should take seriously. Atleast until more data points are brought up.

Here's a quote from an XDA editor on Reddit: "That being said, we are actually enjoying the Note a lot at XDA when looking past the performance issues."

They like to point out that Samsung has one of the most restricting policies regarding unlocking the bootloader and flashing custom ROMs with their KNOX security feature which voids you're warranty if you tinker with your device; that's justified criticism, not an unreasonable grudge. 

28 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

opafterupdate.png

Oneplus 3

htc10discomark.png

HTC 10

twdiscomark.png

Note 7

Please enlighten me how this is biased. 

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

34 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

The article is more than fair, I didn't see the bias you claim of at all.

The review is biased quite simply because this issue only effects devices which run the Snapdragon 820 CPU, devices which run the Exynos CPU are not effected at all and afaiwa the large majority of phones in the wild are running Exynos, not S820.

Now the reviewer does mention this in the article however he doesn't mention it in the title and instead branches all Samsung devices under the same umbrella which is obvious bias towards Samsung devices. Why did he not obtain an Exynos device and run the same tests on that? Is it because maybe the Samsung might have been faster? We will never know.

He could of called the article Samsung Snapdragon Devices have lag or a small amount of Note devices have lag but nope, he flat out said all Samsung devices have lag and that's simply not true.

That combined with the fact that I've never heard anybody else, ever, complain about the speed of a Samsung S or N device tells me that XDA have some grudge against Samsung and are using mere 10ths of seconds in a minority of devices in order to justify it.

And before anybody starts, no I don't own a S device, I own an HTC One M8.

Also @Zeeee Please fix the glaring error in the thread title (is has?)

42 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

The review is biased quite simply because this issue only effects devices which run the Snapdragon 820 CPU, devices which run the Exynos CPU are not effected at all and afaiwa the large majority of phones in the wild are running Exynos, not S820.

Now the reviewer does mention this in the article however he doesn't mention it in the title and instead branches all Samsung devices under the same umbrella which is obvious bias towards Samsung devices. Why did he not obtain an Exynos device and run the same tests on that? Is it because maybe the Samsung might have been faster? We will never know.

He could of called the article Samsung Snapdragon Devices have lag or a small amount of Note devices have lag but nope, he flat out said all Samsung devices have lag and that's simply not true.

That combined with the fact that I've never heard anybody else, ever, complain about the speed of a Samsung S or N device tells me that XDA have some grudge against Samsung and are using mere 10ths of seconds in a minority of devices in order to justify it.

Unlike other websites who receive their phones directly from the manufacturer (and are therefore more inclined to positive bias), XDA actually buys most of the devices they review. They simply bought the American version of the device, a phone that costs $850 and runs the same processor as the Oneplus 3. Despite all this you think it's OK that this device takes twice as long to open the Google Play Store. 

I don't understand how this review is biased simply because they happen to live in the United States, where the Snapdragon version is sold. 

11 minutes ago, patrick3027 said:

Unlike other websites who receive their phones directly from the manufacturer (and are therefore more inclined to positive bias), XDA actually buys most of the devices they review. They simply bought the American version of the device, a phone that costs $850 and runs the same processor as the Oneplus 3. Despite all this you think it's OK that this device takes twice as long to open the Google Play Store. 

I don't understand how this review is biased simply because they happen to live in the United States, where the Snapdragon version is sold. 

Because despite what Americans might think the USA isn't the centre of the observable universe.

I get what your trying to say, I genuinely do, they're stuck with the S820 version because of their location however that doesn't change the fact that the issue they're reporting as a widespread issue across all Samsung devices is in fact an issue which affects only 1 region of the world and a miniscule amount of global Samsung phone users.

And you expect me to believe that the largest phone hacking forum in the world didn't have anybody in another region who has access to the Exynos version?

FTR I never said this issue was "OK" because clearly it isn't, it obviously exists and for the people who live in NA I imagine its quite infuriating however for the rest of the world who live in Africa, Australasia, Asia, Europe, the Middle East and South America its a non issue.

I took offence by the fact they reporting this as a widespread thing when in fact it isn't.

6 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Because despite what Americans might think the USA isn't the centre of the observable universe.

I get what your trying to say, I genuinely do, they're stuck with the S820 version because of their location however that doesn't change the fact that the issue they're reporting as a widespread issue across all Samsung devices is in fact an issue which affects only 1 region of the world and a miniscule amount of global Samsung phone users.

FTR I never said this issue was "OK" because clearly it isn't, it obviously exists and for the people who live in NA I imagine its quite infuriating however for the rest of the world who live in Africa, Australasia, Asia, Europe, the Middle East and South America its a non issue.

I took offence by the fact they reporting this as a widespread thing when in fact it isn't.

There are more than 200 million smartphone users in the US and Samsung accounts for almost 29% of smartphone sales in the US. I wouldn't qualify that as "a miniscule amount of global Samsung phone users." I would definitely qualify this as a widespread thing.

Anyway, here are the facts for other people who will talk nonsense about this so called 'biased' article:

The Snapdragon version of the S7 performs worse than the Oneplus 3 and HTC 10 in real life situations like opening apps, scrolling performance and time until the keyboard appears.

This has been pointed out not only by XDA, but also in the Anandtech review.

We know the Exynos version is faster than the Snapdragon version, we don't know how the Exynos version compares to the HTC 10 and Oneplus 3.

AnandTech also briefly went over this in their Note 7 review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10559/the-samsung-galaxy-note7-s820-review/9

And some might like this "speed test" between the Note 7 and the iPhone 6S (which factors in a lot more variables, though). The interesting thing about this comparison is that the 6S managed to complete the test before the Note 7 could open all apps in the first round.

Spoiler

This is pretty much a problem with Samsung's TouchWiz and with their optimization of the 820 SoC. It's not the first time (see S7) when their phone runs like shit on the 820 and the Exynos version is much smoother. However, they are selling their phone like this and it's clearly a shitty experience, but I doubt people will care since these phones are the most popular Android flagships (RIP HTC xD).

It's really sad to see the latest top of the line Android flagship being destroyed by a one-year old iPhone.

7 minutes ago, patrick3027 said:

There are more than 200 million smartphone users in the US and Samsung accounts for almost 29% of smartphone sales in the US. I wouldn't qualify that as "a miniscule amount of global Samsung phone users." I would definitely qualify this as a widespread thing.

Anyway, here are the facts for other people who will talk nonsense about this so called 'biased' article:

The Snapdragon version of the S7 performs worse than the Oneplus 3 and HTC 10 in real life situations like opening apps, scrolling performance and time until the keyboard appears.

This has been pointed out not only by XDA, but also in the Anandtech review.

We know the Exynos version is faster than the Snapdragon version, we don't know how the Exynos version compares to the HTC 10 and Oneplus 3.

Thank you for making my point, 29% of the USA market, its not even a majority share in the USA which is the only country that's affected. To reiterate, 29% of the American Market = basically nothing globally.

FTR in 2015 there was 1.44B phones sold across the globe, suddenly your 200M looks very insignificant and bear in mind this issue only affects a very specific SKU that number is much much much smaller.

Again I'm not denying this is an issue, I'm saying the way they reported it isn't right.

Hmm... I still definitely want a Note 7 to replace my Note 4, and good things that I'm in Asia (for once) so I will probably be getting a Exynos version, but still it kinda weird me out that Samsung created different version of US for some reason. Do Canada also only have the Snapdragon version or Exynos?

As for Snapdragon vs Exynos, we have someone doing speed test comparing the 2 variation of the S7 Edge and the Exynos is quite alot faster than Snapdragon, It's battery life is also alot better too. As far as battery life goes for the Note 7 2 variation it seem like the same thing happen there with the Exynos have longer battery time compare to Snapdragon (both of them fall short of even the Snapdragon S7 Edge though) 

With that said, TouchWiz is still not something should be enabled LOL. I'd switch it to Google Now like my current Note 4 as soon as I got it.

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

2 minutes ago, Megazero said:

With that said, TouchWiz is still not something should be enabled LOL. I'd switch it to Google Now like my current Note 4 as soon as I got it.

Would be cool if Google brought back the Google Play edition phones. The idea was badass.

5 minutes ago, patrick3027 said:

It's really sad to see the latest top of the line Android flagship being destroyed by a one-year old iPhone.

Given that 1. iPhone is abit easier to optimized for since no thousands version BS like Android (kinda like console vs PC all over again?) , and 2. iPhone screen have alot lower resolution, I still dont think iPhone destroy any flagship Android phone.

But I'd give it to iPhone 6s with their storage. Its still the fastest storage on any smartphone to date by a long shot. Too bad everything else about it is... so I wont be using any iPhone as my main phone ever again. 

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

meh, my grandma will stick to the note 5 xD 

Spoiler

iOS! iOS! iOS!

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I will need to upgrade to either the new iP7+ note 7 or V20. The iP6s+ is super fast even running the iOS 10 beta!

Not sure what to go for next 

Main System - 2016 13"nTB MBP 256GB

Gaming Rig - 4790K, 16GB RAM, 1080Ti
Monitor - Dell 25" U2515H

K/B & M - Ducky One TKL, Logitech MX Master & G900

Audio - JDS Labs The Element, Aktimate Mini B+, Krix Seismix 3 Mk6, Ultrasone Pro 900

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

So the reason the article is biased is because, in your opinion, the issue it tackles is a non-issue? I have to disagree.

Taken from the article :

Before we go further, we must also point out that not every user will experience the performance issues equally, many of these problems are localized or limited to certain apps or actions, and the severity also varies depending on your SKU due to software and hardware. This article is confined to Snapdragon 820 versions of the Note 7 purchased in the United States. Finally, it’s also true that the internal components themselves are subject to variability, but for the most part, this does not look to be an issue with the processor, the RAM, or the storage. Samsung’s components are still top-notch, but we see the same problems which at XDA we are all too familiar with.

Sure, the article does only talk about the SD820 variant, the one which you can find in the US, and the point of the article is that the Note 7 is slower than a lot of other phones, even cheaper ones(eg. OnePlus 3), which have the same SoC. And since it's doubtful that the issue is on the hardware side, the thing to blame it on is TouchWiz, or Grace UX, whatever it's called now.  The article makes a good, non-biased showcase of this behaviour.

Something that Samsung has been advertising for a few years now is the "cleaning" of their software, and after a few years of the process of making a lighter software overlay, they still aren't exactly done. Sure, they've made improvements but there are still improvements to be made.

But Grace UX is not a lighter version of TouchWiz, no matter how refined and more appealing its new aesthetics are, and certainly not after the honeymoon phase flies by. Grace UX packs just as many features as before, and it has its hooks tearing the fabric of Android apart similarly to previous devices. That coupled with the bloatware from both Samsung and carriers notably add to the heft that many new users are experiencing on their Note 7’s.

Anyway, another small issue brought up is the lack of coverage on Samsung's performance issues over the past few years, which are still present, mind you, but not as much as back in the old S4 days, when they were very harshly criticized for those.

This is important to us because we are also enthusiasts, and we’ve seen reviews ignore, year after year, clear, delimited, replicable and often universal performance issues with Samsung phones, such as the infamous home button delay of the Galaxy Note 3, the always-delayed multi-tasking menu of the Galaxy Note 4, or the terrible memory management of the Galaxy Note 5 (which is still an issue on the Note 7, by the way).

And the author(s) are not doing this to shame Samsung either :

We are bringing this to light because we see that, once again, Samsung’s flagships are getting generally-positive reviews for their performance, while users often disagree. It’s important that we recognize that these issues exist so that consumers can make educated choices. We are putting this out there not to shame Samsung, or any particular media outlet, but so that people know that despite 6 years worth of releases, Samsung still has horrendous issues with software.

You might say that this doesn't affect the Exynos version, but it does. It's still the same software. Yes, it may not appear to have lower performance(citation needed), but that's because the SoC itself is quite more powerful than the SD820. Getting an Exynos variant doesn't fix the underlying issue, rather it mitigates it (citation needed).

Nevertheless, why would it be bad to ask for more performance? There are phones less than half the price of the Note 7 which outperform it. Consumers can definitely ask for more than that for their money. Plus, Samsung has a somewhat good record of delivering updates that bring improvements to the battery life and performance. Bringing this issue in the public spotlight makes them aware of the issues they need to fix.

Most importantly, we don’t think the lack of reports on these issues come due to malice, nor from cronyism. But many of these problems can be fixed — they probably will be, as we’ve noted multiple times throughout the past year that Samsung updates have done a good job at improving performance or battery life. And to make ourselves heard and ensure they do, we must acknowledge they exist and put Samsung on the spot as well, because when phones that are half the price run laps around Samsung’s latest big thing, we can seriously ask for more for our buck.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

29 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

this issue only affects a very specific SKU that number is much much much smaller.

Source? 

It could very well be that all devices are affected, the Snapdragon version has been tested, the Exynos hasn't. 

2 minutes ago, patrick3027 said:

Source? 

It could very well be that all devices are affected, the Snapdragon version has been tested, the Exynos hasn't. 

I think his point is until the Exynos is tested, the title should NOT be generic "Note 7 have problem" but has to be "Note 7 Snapdragon have problem". As Exynos havent been test that title isnt really correct.