PlayStation Plus price increases to $60 ($70 CAD) starting September - no new features

GoodBytes

Sony PlayStation Plus online gaming network annual fee will increase by $10, boosting the US price to $60 and in Canada boosted to $70.

No new features will be introduced to justify the price increase.

The new fee will start on September 22. It is rumored that 2 new consoles will be announced this September: The PS4 Slim and the PS4 Neo.

The Slim model is a shrink downed model of the PS4. The PS4 Neo will feature updated specs, and is expected to be released at a later time.

f you're a fan of Sony's PlayStation Plus subscription service—which doles out free monthly downloads for the company's various systems and enables online play on PS4 games in exchange for an annual fee—you might want to lock in your next annual renewal of $50 per year pretty soon.

That's because the annual fee goes up to $60 (or CAD $70) starting September 22, which is exactly one month after an announcement posted on Monday. Sony took an odd approach to making this announcement: the company edited the news into a late-July alert about the freebies PS Plus members would receive in August. The post did not receive an updated headline, despite the official PlayStation Twitter account linking to the post once it had been edited.

The announcement explained that the price hike—the first for the service since its launch in 2010—is thanks to "current market conditions." Since the post neither linked to any financial or market analyses nor announced any new features coming to PlayStation Plus, Ars is tempted to assume that those "current market conditions" are little more than "we think people will grin and bear the price hike."

The monthly subscription will remain to $10 per month.

The price increase makes the service cost the same as Microsoft's XBox Live online gaming service.

Source: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/08/playstation-plus-annual-fee-jumping-10-in-september-no-new-features/

Do you have a PlayStation 4, and do you use PlayStation Plus network for online gaming?

I have an Xbox One so now I can laugh in my friends face because he has been hating on me paying $60 for gold for years mwahahaha.

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

i'm guessing the price hike is for better free games for PS+ members... 

but as someone who owns playstation systems, it's a bit of a drag. most will have to pay for it anyways since it's the only way to play MP or use some online features

3 minutes ago, Gamessys said:

I have an Xbox One so now I can laugh in my friends face because he has been hating on me paying $60 for gold for years mwahahaha.

Does that mean PC gamers can laugh at both of you? ;)

Anyway, I'm not in favor of subscriptions for critical features. An optional subscription for games, yeah okay that can make sense depending on pricing and terms.

Raising the price just makes it that much more unappealing. And kinda ruins the whole "consoles are cheap" idea.

Just now, Sakkura said:

Does that mean PC gamers can laugh at both of you? ;)

Anyway, I'm not in favor of subscriptions for critical features. An optional subscription for games, yeah okay that can make sense depending on pricing and terms.

I play on both but it depends on the game.

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

Ha, consoles

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

To me this makes sense its Playstation.

But yeah that is not cool.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, Gamessys said:

Surely you don't ACTUALLY pay 60 dollars

LTT's Fastest 9800gt

LTT Forum Beginners Guide

Just now, catzambia said:

Surely you don't ACTUALLY pay 60 dollars

Why would I not pay $60? Free games, online etc etc.

Imagine if Valve allowed users to pay for better official match making servers and better anti cheat.

One could dream.

Just now, Gamessys said:

Why would I not pay $60? Free games, online etc etc.

Yes, I pay for Xbox Live too, but what I'm saying is I hope you don't spend 60 dollars for a year, you can find it cheaper elsewhere. I was making a little joke... :|

LTT's Fastest 9800gt

1 minute ago, catzambia said:

Yes, I pay for Xbox Live too, but what I'm saying is I hope you don't spend 60 dollars for a year, you can find it cheaper elsewhere. I was making a little joke... :|

Yeah I pay $60 a year, didn't know there were places to get it cheaper.  Sorry for killing the joke lol

That's why I don't pay for that over priced POS. I hate subscriptions. It's like saying you will have to pay monthly for using CS;GO.

I am still playing on PS3, and I am satisfied about the graphics.

19 minutes ago, Gamessys said:

Yeah I pay $60 a year, didn't know there were places to get it cheaper.  Sorry for killing the joke lol

I've seen some sites that sell game keys sell xbox live memberships. I got a 13 (or was it 15) month membership for about $43.

You know how it is, the cow goes "moo", the dog goes "woof" and the gamer goes "The PvP is unbalanced."

Spoiler

Personal Computer: CPU: i7-4790 Mobo: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 Graphics Card: MSI R9-380  Memory: 16GB (8GB x2) G. Skill Sniper Gaming Series PSU: Apevia Warlock 750W Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Series Storage: 240GB SSD (OS) 3TB HDD (data and such) 500 GB SSD (Movies and Large Data Transfers (I'm constantly moving this one around to other computers))

Just now, Howlingwolf101 said:

I've seen some sites that sell game keys sell xbox live memberships. I got a 13 (or was it 15) month membership for about $43.

Hmm seems sketchy

42 minutes ago, Gamessys said:

I have an Xbox 360 that I used to get XBL Gold ever year for, I wanted and got a PS4 in part because it was $10 cheaper a year. Good thing I didn't plan on renewing it after this year because I'm anticipating to be able to build my PC either by the end of this year or early next year.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

I have a PS4 and I don't really care. Gonna pay it anyway

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

Just now, Gamessys said:

https://www.kinguin.net/category/184/xbox-live-12-months-gold-subscription-card/

Boom. Scroll down a bit and you can get it for 40. Totally legit. And lol it's okay.

LTT's Fastest 9800gt

2 minutes ago, Technous285 said:

I can see that this will cause a few folks who have PS+ currently to splurge the cash to bulk-buy a few years worth of PS+ so they don't have to worry about the price hike for a few years, pushing the hike for them personally down the line.

Or just go to PC before their year ends, and don't have to give Sony $10 more than they would've otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Technous285 said:

I can see that this will cause a few folks who have PS+ currently to splurge the cash to bulk-buy a few years worth of PS+ so they don't have to worry about the price hike for a few years, pushing the hike for them personally down the line.

If they do it's kinda stupid. For 10 bucks it's not really worth buying multiple years worth of it.

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

1 minute ago, Psybadek said:

If they do it's kinda stupid. For 10 bucks it's not really worth buying multiple years worth of it.

Remember; that by buying multiple years worth of something like PS+ you don't stress yourself out trying to remember if it runs out this year or next, you just store in long-term memory "It's gonna run out in 2020" or such, so even if you have a lean income next year you don't have to stress about keeping up the sub for the year.

6 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Or just go to PC before their year ends, and don't have to give Sony $10 more than they would've otherwise.

As someone with a monster gaming rig, a PS3 & PS4, with folks I play games with on both sides of the spectrum; there simply are times when it's not worth the hassle of trying to convince your friends to buy the game on PC (say, their system can handle STO but crumple under Overwatch) when it's just easier for you to get the game on console and absorb the cost of PS+ since you regularly play games with them that benefit from/need PS+ to do so.

Just now, Technous285 said:

Remember; that by buying multiple years worth of something like PS+ you don't stress yourself out trying to remember if it runs out this year or next, you just store in long-term memory "It's gonna run out in 2020" or such, so even if you have a lean income next year you don't have to stress about keeping up the sub for the year.

As someone with a monster gaming rig, a PS3 & PS4, with folks I play games with on both sides of the spectrum; there simply are times when it's not worth the hassle of trying to convince your friends to buy the game on PC (say, their system can handle STO but crumple under Overwatch) when it's just easier for you to get the game on console and absorb the cost of PS+ since you regularly play games with them that benefit from/need PS+ to do so.

I don't stress out anyway, I have it setup on auto renewal. So when it runs out I have no worries of it not being paid.

17 minutes ago, Technous285 said:

I should've put a /s to indicate I wasn't being exactly serious. I mean I'm kinda am serious, but yeah I agree. I got a PS4 under the presumption that maybe I have more friends that play on Playstation over Xbox, actually it would seems I know more people that play on PC.

I've been planning on building a PC for the past two years, likely early next year but possibly like December of this year I'll start building a PC since I'll be starting a job soon. But anyways, I don't think it's a huge deal that Sony is raising the price to $60, if it was a $20 price hike I could see it being more of a big deal.