Android 7.0 Nougat released

Trixanity

Google has finally released Android 7.0 Nougat after many months of beta. The beta program was started much earlier this time around and release is therefore earlier than previous schedules. This was probably done to better align with Android device manufacturer schedules/product launches.

Google has completed its five month beta program and is officially releasing Android 7.0 Nougat today. The company will begin rolling it out to select Nexus devices, including the Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Nexus 6, Nexus 9, Nexus Player, the Pixel C tablet, and the General Mobile 4G (Android One phone), as an OTA over the next few weeks. The Nexus 5 and 7 (2013) are not eligible for the update.

The new Android version won't be a major departure from Marshmallow but will bring a bunch of new features and under-the-hood changes that improves upon Android.

Among the new features are:

• Vulkan support
  • VR support (Daydream)
  • Better multi-tasking including new screen modes such as split screen and PIP
  • Improved Doze for better battery life
  • Improved notifications including bundling of notifications to avoid clutter
  • Various performance improvements including new JIT compiler
  • Improved security with file-based encryption, hardening of media libraries (Stagefright) through sandboxing and restricted permissions. Also, enhanced secure boot.
  • Seamless updates (only possible on new devices shipping with Nougat) by having two system partitions that can be swapped during a reboot.

The LG V20 will be the first new device to ship with Nougat installed. Manufacturers and carriers have not committed to a specific timeline for rolling out updates for existing devices, however. Samsung’s President of Mobile, Koh Dong-jin, revealed in an interview with The Korea Times that the recently released Galaxy Note7should receive an update perhaps in the next 2-3 months. HTC stated that the HTC 10, HTC One A9, and HTC One M9 will all be receiving Nougat updates, but did not provide any dates, only stating that timing and any additional eligible devices will be announced later.

Besides the Nexus devices which can obtain the update now, there will be devices shipping with Nougat soon; the first being the LG V20 which will ship in September. Alas, most devices will not be updated and those that will are going to wait quite a while in the majority of cases.

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10587/android-7-nougat-released

Time flies. Sadly my phone won't be getting it anyway. :/

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 minute ago, Doobeedoo said:

Time flies. Sadly my phone won't be getting it anyway. :/

Cyanogenmod maybe?

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Just now, ShadowTechXTS said:

Cyanogenmod maybe?

Depends on developer support and you'll still be missing out on a lot of the closed source stuff on your device such as camera and audio libraries for example as well performance and battery optimizations. Various UI and other frameworks too.

I run a CM-based ROM on my device but I have no illusions about it. I gain a lot of features and security but a lot has been lost by not running a stock-based ROM. Camera isn't as bad as it used to be (with earlier CM ROMs) with the 'new' Snap camera but the camera on stock is a lot better. Audio quality has gone down. Performance and battery life is reduced (in some cases) and device generally runs hotter. A lot of the extra features from the stock ROM are of course gone as well. GPS and Wifi is not as solid as on stock (for some users, one or both are completely messed up), I think FM radio doesn't work and the IR blaster needs a third party paid app to function because the stock app relies on OEM frameworks.

So it's definitely a lesson in trade-offs with non-Stock ROMs. You gain some, you lose some.

Once again, it all depends on developer support and on your device. Some devices probably have very few or no trade-offs but some of the more OEM 'heavy' devices will be somewhat crippled when you strip away all the closed-source code.

11 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

Cyanogenmod maybe?

Is there a stable one for Xperia Z ?

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 minute ago, Trixanity said:

-snip-

Most of the time battery life has improved, at least in my experience but I get your point.

1 minute ago, Doobeedoo said:

I'll look.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

2 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Yeah there's a ton of ROMs for the Xperia Z, I'm sure once CM14 (based on Android 7.0) comes out it'll be ported to your device eventually.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/xperia-z

✨PC Specs✨

Didnt marshmellow come out this year?

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

6 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Didnt marshmellow come out this year?

Nope. Last year. In October/November I believe.

Just now, mrchow19910319 said:

Nexus 6p here.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OTA updates are rolling out slowly. Not everyone will get it immediately. However like is often times possible, you can circumvent that and install it through other means. Nexus devices have system images available that can be installed. Never owned a Nexus device (yet), so can't tell you where or how but you can probably find an article on Google that tells you how to install Nougat right now if that's what you want (remember there could still be bugs) like this: http://www.androidcentral.com/how-get-android-70-nougat-your-nexus-right-now

2 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

OTA updates are rolling out slowly. Not everyone will get it immediately. However like is often times possible, you can circumvent that and install it through other means. Nexus devices have system images available that can be installed. Never owned a Nexus device (yet), so can't tell you where or how but you can probably find an article on Google that tells you how to install Nougat right now if that's what you want (remember there could still be bugs) like this: http://www.androidcentral.com/how-get-android-70-nougat-your-nexus-right-now

I see. I think I am gonna stick with ota update this time.

Now really familiar with installing a factory image on my phone. 

Rather not risk it. (for me at least)

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

first person to get on her nexus!
yea! 

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

also the Easter egg has changed, download it and find out what it is yourself mate

hint: it has a thing for cats

1 minute ago, samiscool51 said:

first person to get on her nexus!
yea! 

-.-

Just now, mrchow19910319 said:

-.-

wat?...

Just now, samiscool51 said:

wat?...

Nothing.

I will be pulling it straight from Google.

i want my rooted stock rom and don't want to potentially lose TWRP.

I am pretty excited, as this seems to be my last hurrah for my Nexus 6 (Shamu).

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

38 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

Yeah there's a ton of ROMs for the Xperia Z, I'm sure once CM14 (based on Android 7.0) comes out it'll be ported to your device eventually.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/xperia-z

CM13 6.0 Android is not done, still in development with bugs and such?

Just now, Doobeedoo said:

CM13 6.0 Android is not done, still in development with bugs and such?

There's stable releases, they're constantly releasing new versions and features known as "nightlies"

✨PC Specs✨

sadly i won't be able to accept the OTA update as it doesn't update properly on modified system partitions... so i'll have to wait for the factory images, and the subsequent boot.img modification. as for Nougat itself, i'm a bit excited for what it brings

22 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

There's stable releases, they're constantly releasing new versions and features known as "nightlies"

Can you link me latest stable :) ?

2 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Can you link me latest stable :) ?

https://download.cyanogenmod.org/get/jenkins/57392/cm-10.2.1-yuga.zip

✨PC Specs✨