RX 480 Low FPS in GTA 5 All settings same FPS

Zhaopow
Go to solution Solved by Nord,
6 hours ago, Zhaopow said:

nope, it goes near 80% average and says near 60c

With that temperature I'll be assuming you did not overclock your CPU, correct?

If its indeed running at stock speed, there is your first problem, a non OC'd 2500 is plain simply to weak for GTA5.

This video here should also shed some light on the situation.

Basically this vid shows that a 2500k at around 4.4GHZ can manage a TitanX and stay around 60FPS in GTA5 with maxed settings.

Anyway, also make sure you have Population Density & Variety turned off, those two settings really put a high load on the CPU.

66wnvIR.jpg

on this screenshot distance scaling is turned off and Population Density & Variety is turned on. So make sure your Pop. Density & Variety looks like distance scaling on the screen.

Also enable VSync at least for testing, as this will take a good load from your CPU, as the allready sparse power it provides will not be used to render frames, which you theoretically dont need.

Doing both of this should give you a noticable drop in CPU usage and a good FPS boost.

If however it does not, its either the fact that your CPU really is not OC'd or that you are running really old or just cheap RAM. GTA5 really gets nice improvements from RAM MHZ speeds btw.

I recently upgraded to an RX 480 on my i5 2500k 16gbDDR3 500GB SSD system. 

Most other games run very fast and where i expected however when i run GTA 5 for some reason i average 40 FPS doesnt matter what settings lowest to very high, then ultra starts seeing more frame drops but below that the frame rate is practically the same for all settings.

Im pretty tech savy so i have tried everything i can think of like updating drivers (im on a fresh windows 10 install) and vsync is off.

If anyone has any idea help would be very appreciated.

8 minutes ago, Zhaopow said:

Most other games run very fast and where i expected however when i run GTA 5 for some reason i average 40 FPS doesnt matter what settings lowest to very high, then ultra starts seeing more frame drops but below that the frame rate is practically the same for all settings.

Im pretty tech savy so i have tried everything i can think of like updating drivers (im on a fresh windows 10 install) and vsync is off.

Open up your Windows Task Manager and run the game a while.  Tab out and see if the CPU is hitting near 100% (Performance tab).  This would indicate that the CPU is hitting a wall.  You would need to OC to improve FPS.

Just now, stconquest said:

Open up your Windows Task manager and run the game a while.  Tab out and see if the CPU is hitting near 100%.  This would indicate that the CPU is hitting a wall.  You would need to OC to improve FPS.

Just now, Zhaopow said:

Hopefully someone else can help you out, I have no idea.

Can confirm by checking how much of the GPU is utilized.  If it's not utilizing a large amount of GPU when you raise settings to the point you get FPS drop, then your CPU is most likely the culprit.

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

26 minutes ago, Zhaopow said:

its because your cpu cant handle that gpu, which means that you need to upgrade newer cpu or any which doesnt bottlenecks your gpu

you can check it here: http://thebottlenecker.com/intel/index.html

Remember to quote me (or someone else), otherwise we won't going to recieve your answers...

PC Specs                   PCPartpicker full performance builds (from350$-1250$)

11 minutes ago, Blackhole890 said:

its because your cpu cant handle that gpu, which means that you need to upgrade newer cpu or any which doesnt bottlenecks your gpu

Interesting site.  Would be cool if you could put in the processor and then it would suggest the minimum GPU to pair it with or the other way around.

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

If you change the settings in game but the FPS doesn't change then that's a very clear sign of CPU bottlenecking.

It's not a race to the bottom.

1 hour ago, Blackhole890 said:

OP, ignore this post entirely.  Any kind of 'Bottlenecking' would in no way cause 5fps in game.  A 2500k and a RX 480 is more than enough to run GTA5 at an acceptable performance level with appropriate graphics settings.  Any suggestion that you need top buy a new CPU or GPU just to run a game that was originally released for the Xbox 360 and PS3 is a suggestion that comes from an area of complete ignorance and heeding that suggestion is only going to cost you money.  Let me be clear here: 'Bottlenecking' is not some magic barrier where suddenly a machine runs no faster than menu on your microwave oven.  It is simply a scenario where one component is slower and it's leaving another component waiting, preventing the other component from operating at it's maximum ideal potential.  I've seen GTA5 run acceptably on an i3, your i5 2500K is MORE than enough.

Since you say other games run fine, I suggest that you take a look at what graphics settings you are using.  Maybe you could provide us with some screenshots of your settings pages?  GTA5 has an EXTRENSIVE range of graphics options and some of them could single handedly put tremendous on a system.

24 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

OP, ignore this post entirely.  Any kind of 'Bottlenecking' would in no way cause 5fps in game.  A 2500k and a RX 480 is more than enough to run GTA5 at an acceptable performance level with appropriate graphics settings.  Any suggestion that you need top buy a new CPU or GPU just to run a game that was originally released for the Xbox 360 and PS3 is a suggestion that comes from an area of complete ignorance and heeding that suggestion is only going to cost you money.  Let me be clear here: 'Bottlenecking' is not some magic barrier where suddenly a machine runs no faster than menu on your microwave oven.  It is simply a scenario where one component is slower and it's leaving another component waiting, preventing the other component from operating at it's maximum ideal potential.  I've seen GTA5 run acceptably on an i3, your i5 2500K is MORE than enough.

Since you say other games run fine, I suggest that you take a look at what graphics settings you are using.  Maybe you could provide us with some screenshots of your settings pages?  GTA5 has an EXTRENSIVE range of graphics options and some of them could single handedly put tremendous on a system.

Thank you for seeing that i have obviously looked at cpu bottlenecking as the problem. I have researched the settings a lot and it doesnt matter what settings from everything off/low to very high settings i get 40 fps average.

6 minutes ago, Zhaopow said:

Thank you for seeing that i have obviously looked at cpu bottlenecking as the problem. I have researched the settings a lot and it doesnt matter what settings from everything off/low to very high settings i get 40 fps average.

What about in the advanced settings?  GTA has AFAIK even super sampling AA options which is SUPER expensive.  It also has an internal feature similar to super virtual resolution where it internally renders at a MUCH higher resolution and then scales down (Something also much like super sampling) and that can be really expensive too.  Crazy expensive if you crank it up.

You also haven't mentioned what resolution you are running.  But there's a LOT of graphics options, could you give us screen shots of your settings, including the advanced settings screen?

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

What about in the advanced settings?  GTA has AFAIK even super sampling AA options which is SUPER expensive.  It also has an internal feature similar to super virtual resolution where it internally renders at a MUCH higher resolution and then scales down (Something also much like super sampling) and that can be really expensive too.  Crazy expensive if you crank it up.

You also haven't mentioned what resolution you are running.  But there's a LOT of graphics options, could you give us screen shots of your settings, including the advanced settings screen?

i just set everything to the lowest or off and am still at 40Fps.

Im running at 1080p 60hz selected

@AshleyAshes has a very good point regarding AMD's VSR (Virtual Super Resolution).  I remember Crimson recommending I use it to downscale a higher resolution for general use.

If this feature is on, you could be trying to run the game at a much higher resolution than your native display supports.

4 minutes ago, stconquest said:

@AshleyAshes has a very good point regarding AMD's VSR (Virtual Super Resolution).  I remember Crimson recommending I use it to downscale a higher resolution for general use.

If this feature is on, you could be trying to run the game at a much higher resolution than your native display supports.

Though what VSR does is just give you another resolutino to select.  Like I have a 1440p screen but with VSR enable, the driver presents a '3200x1800' resolution option for the game to select, and that's the VSR resolution, while the GPU does the downscaling.  But GTA5 itself ALSO has a scaling option just like VSR in it, works like a multiplier, so you can make it render at 1.25 or 1.5 or 2x your selected res, it renders at that multiplier and then scales down.  Suffice it to say, my 390X did not do 2x 1440p well -at all-.  But big suprise there. :D

4 hours ago, Cracklingice said:

Classic symptoms of CPU bottlenecking.

But it's an Intel CPU and AMD GPU... Intel CPU can't bottleneck.

6 hours ago, Zhaopow said:

With that temperature I'll be assuming you did not overclock your CPU, correct?

If its indeed running at stock speed, there is your first problem, a non OC'd 2500 is plain simply to weak for GTA5.

This video here should also shed some light on the situation.

Basically this vid shows that a 2500k at around 4.4GHZ can manage a TitanX and stay around 60FPS in GTA5 with maxed settings.

Anyway, also make sure you have Population Density & Variety turned off, those two settings really put a high load on the CPU.

66wnvIR.jpg

on this screenshot distance scaling is turned off and Population Density & Variety is turned on. So make sure your Pop. Density & Variety looks like distance scaling on the screen.

Also enable VSync at least for testing, as this will take a good load from your CPU, as the allready sparse power it provides will not be used to render frames, which you theoretically dont need.

Doing both of this should give you a noticable drop in CPU usage and a good FPS boost.

If however it does not, its either the fact that your CPU really is not OC'd or that you are running really old or just cheap RAM. GTA5 really gets nice improvements from RAM MHZ speeds btw.

@Nord or quote me if you want me to reply back. I don't necessarily check back or subscribe to every topic.

Amdahls law > multicore CPU.