Windows 10 Anniversary Update 2 might finally launch OneClip to the public

Master Disaster

For those that don't know, OneClip is a Microsoft project which got leaked last year on Windows, Android & IOS. It allows users signed into a Microsoft account to share a common clipboard across multiple devices, that is you can copy an item on your PC then paste it on your phone (and vice versa). Shortly after the leak MS pulled the servers down for anyone outside of Microsoft. 

It looks like Microsoft might finally be ready to release it into the wild. 

For those who were living under a rock in May of 2015, you likely missed out on the original hype for OneClip. In short, it was a Microsoft Garage project that leaked to the public, available on a plethora of platforms including Windows, Android, and iOS. Shortly after it had leaked, Microsoft pulled the service from the public, denying access to anyone outside of Microsoft.

OneClip was a unique garage project as it was the first of its kind, allowing users to copy text and images on one device and paste that content on another device that was logged in to the same OneClip account. This worked across PCs, tablets and phones of all kinds, making it the first universal app to do this.

It's been over a year now since OneClip was taken from the public, but that doesn't mean the project is dead. In fact, Microsoft has plans to introduce it down the line as a first-party feature, meaning it'll have tight integration with Microsoft products such as Windows 10, Windows 10 Mobile and Office.

oneclip_internal_0.jpg

For the most part, the OneClip the public got access to last year will very much be similar to the OneClip we get in 2017. Apart from obvious UI changes and improvements, the main goal of the service is still "copy once, paste everywhere". What has changed however is the fact that it's no longer a Microsoft Garage project and is now being developed under the Office and Windows teams.

Microsoft is looking at ways it can make OneClip a productive piece of software that compliments Windows and Office in 2017, including integration with Working Sets, and positioning OneClip as a service that can not only copy your information, but back it up, store it, and collect information too.

For example, users creating a report or PowerPoint presentation for school or work can be doing research online, either on their phone, or on a computer that isn't their own. In this case, you find some information that will be great for your project, however you don't have your project on you at the time to add to. With OneClip, you can simply copy what you've found, whether it be a link, image, text or document, and store it within OneClip. When you get home, that piece of information you found earlier will be readily available to you from the OneClip stream.

OneClip_WorkingSet.jpg

OneClip is expected to be available on Windows 10, Windows 10 Mobile, Android, iOS and Mac OS along with anniversary update 2. Theres also information that they might extend and rebrand the service before they actually launch it. 

I've heard from sources that Microsoft may rebrand OneClip as "Bundle" when it launches to the public, as the feature has expanded to more than just an online clipping service. Now that OneClip is under Windows and Office, the company can do more with it and expand it to more apps and services. It's still early days to lock in a name change for definite, but it's definitely possible, and "Bundle" is what I've heard.

As with all in-development plans, anything and everything could change between now and whenever Microsoft feels ready to launch OneClip to the public. The concepts you see in this article are from internal sources, meaning UI's are not final.

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-redstone-2017-oneclip-integration

I can see this being really helpful, there has been times when I have needed this function and I can't be alone. 

Opinions? 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

already love my notifications showing on my pc so this will be awesome.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Here is a video of it in action (the old leak from last year)

Of course, this is just a prototype, so keep that in mind:

Sounds alright I guess. Won't use it but I can see it being handy in some niche cases. I think it is a privacy nightmare though, to have everything you copy get stored on Microsoft's servers for them to snoop through so I will not be using it.

What I would love to see instead would be an improved copy function in Windows. For example the ability to see copy history, and "recopy" something I copied two or three ctrl+c ago. 

5 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Sounds alright I guess. Probably won't use it but I can see it being handy in some niche cases. 

What I would love to see instead would be an improved copy function in Windows. For example the ability to see copy history, and "recopy" something I copied two or three ctrl+c ago. 

Well, this would kinda work like that from what I can tell. You'll have a clipboard history across devices instead of on the same device. Although maybe its more general and feature-rich nature will impair it if all you're looking for is an easy and specialized (aka all it does) way to manage your clipboard.

7 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Sounds alright I guess. Won't use it but I can see it being handy in some niche cases. I think it is a privacy nightmare though, to have everything you copy get stored on Microsoft's servers for them to snoop through so I will not be using it.

I actually I am more worried (that is to say, what you mention is worrisome just not as much) about the practicality of this: It really shouldn't be sending information unencrypted so if it is encrypted it might not seem much but we're used to instantly using copy/paste and such. If this has to go ET phone home every time and you happen to do something stupid like hitting control+c on a file that's over a gig in size will it basically lock up your systems or your other systems while it's synching? What about the mobile version for those limited in bandwidth? Or the option to turn off for those limited at home in bandwidth like satellite internet customers? It's sad that we can no longer just assume the option to opt-out will even be available.

Or does it has a size limit? Even for every day text stuff it seems like if privacy isn't an issue due to encryption, latency probably would be.

I am ready to be amazed by how well they handle this, I'm just not expecting I will be.

-------

Current Rig

-------

7 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I actually I am more worried (that is to say, what you mention is worrisome just not as much) about the practicality of this: It really shouldn't be sending information unencrypted so if it is encrypted it might not seem much but we're used to instantly using copy/paste and such. If this has to go ET phone home every time and you happen to do something stupid like hitting control+c on a file that's over a gig in size will it basically lock up your systems or your other systems while it's synching? What about the mobile version for those limited in bandwidth? Or the option to turn off for those limited at home in bandwidth like satellite internet customers? It's sad that we can no longer just assume the option to opt-out will even be available.

Shouldn't be a problem. If you copy a file on your computer it probably won't start transferring the file to your phone straight away. It will probably only start the transfer once you press paste on the phone.

8 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Or does it has a size limit? Even for every day text stuff it seems like if privacy isn't an issue due to encryption, latency probably would be.

I am 99% sure they will use encryption. I really doubt Microsoft will use E2EE though (since they hate the idea of not being able to spy on their customers even more than Google and Facebook apparently) so it will be a privacy issue. Everything you copy will get sent to Microsoft in a way they will be able to log and read. It will not be anonymized either since it is tied to your account.

20 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Should give you that, as if you see on the video posted above, you have a history which would suggest you can tap/click on the older items and past new.

But anyway, we will see.

eh... am already good with synergy

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Maybe I'm missing something and it might have a tighter integration with Windows (that might be great and/or a huge privacy issue), but this general idea is something I use quite often with pushbullet (I'm sure there are other similar tools). It doesn't keep records of everything that is/has been in the clipboard but if I want to send myself something to use later I can easily paste and send it to myself. It's really easy to do. And to be honest, it isn't all that different from sending myself an email.

What is special about this? I'm not saying it's bad, I just feel that it kind of already exists. Or, again, am I missing something?

Spoiler

System:

i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz, MSI Z77A-G43, Dominator Platinum 1600MHz 16GB (2x8GB), EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + Some WD Red HDD, Corsair RM850 80+ Gold, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

PCPP:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/znZqcf

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Anniversary Update 2? Nonono, don't use that name D:
It's Redstone 2. Redstone 1 markedet as the Anniversary Update, in the same way as Threshold 2 was markedet as the "November Update"

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

15 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

For those that don't know, OneClip is a Microsoft project which got leaked last year on Windows, Android & IOS. It allows users signed into a Microsoft account to share a common clipboard across multiple devices, that is you can copy an item on your PC then paste it on your phone (and vice versa). Shortly after the leak MS pulled the servers down for anyone outside of Microsoft. 

It looks like Microsoft might finally be ready to release it into the wild. 

oneclip_internal_0.jpg

OneClip_WorkingSet.jpg

OneClip is expected to be available on Windows 10, Windows 10 Mobile, Android, iOS and Mac OS along with anniversary update 2. Theres also information that they might extend and rebrand the service before they actually launch it. 

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-redstone-2017-oneclip-integration

I can see this being really helpful, there has been times when I have needed this function and I can't be alone. 

Opinions? 

It's called "Redstone 2" not Anniversary update 2.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

8 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

It's called "Redstone 2" not Anniversary update 2.

That it is, also nothing in the change logs to show that this will be added. 

Windows 10 Redstone 2 · 14905 is currently on the fast ring

Spoiler

Start and Action Center

• You'll now get a notification welcoming you to Action Center

Microsoft Edge

• Edge has been updated from version 39.14901 to version 39.14905 with the following features
    • You can now use Ctrl + O to move focus to the address bar

Other features

• Narrator Scan mode has been updated to support Ctrl + Alt + Home to go to the beginning of a table and Ctrl + Alt + End to go to the end

Fixed issues

• Fixes an issue where a blank space would appear between the address bar and the website you're visiting in Edge
  • Fixes an issue where Sketchpad and Screen Sketch would crash when switching ink color twice in a row when the ruler was enabled

Known issues

• Adobe Acrobat Reader will crash when you launch it
  • Cortana's text to speech capability is not functional
  • Clicking the power button in the Start menu will cause Start to close and won't show the flyout to restart, shutdown or sleep
  • Some apps like Yahoo Mail, Trivia Crack, Skype Translater Preview and Google will crash due to compatibility issues with platform changes
  • The Settings app may crash on some editions of Windows 10

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

very useful..

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

15 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

UPDATE

• Officially called Cache
  • Microsoft Garage project. Not Windows 10.
  • Now released! (But invite only - still beta)
  • Get it here: https://www.thecacheapp.com/ (Click on Sign-up)

So, they're gonna include a Garage Project in Windows 10?

Also, do they plan on making a Windows 10 Mobile app as well?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),