Custom Desk Rev 2.0 - **Criticism Wanted**

PBaines

Looking to start a new desk. After completing the first one I have found strengths and weaknesses meaning that the new desk should fix everything that was wrong with the current one :)

Here is what I have made in sketchup (to scale) which anyone is able to use this model if they wished, here is the link :)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97695353/Desk%20rev%202.0.skp

Sketchup is available here
http://www.sketchup.com/download

Please use constructive criticism, with explanations! instead of something like "I don't like where the vandal switches are"

Screen1.png

Screen2.png

Looks pretty sweet. I personally would move the switches to the right side next to the radiator to get a cleaner front but that's just me. Can't wait for more!

FX 6300 - MSI 7870 Ghz - M5A97 R2.0 - Team Vulcan 8GB - WD Caviar Blue 1TB - Rosewill HIVE 550w - NZXT Source 210 (white) - Loud Fans

Peripherals - Logitech G105 - Cobra mouse - Acer G236HL - Logitech desktop mic - Logitech LS21 - Audio Technica ATH-M30

Laptop - Acer Aspire V3 - A84500m - 7670m - 15.6" screen (1366x768) - 3.5GB DDR3  - 500GB Scorpio Blue

Downloading now will get to you in 10 mins

Back from the dead....

Subbed. Loved the first desk. Many of the points herein are my opinion, not objectively one way or the other.

1. Thickness of the desk top. I would suggest recessing the primary components further on the left side and using the middle of the desk to run hard tubing to the right side (holding radiators). This would allow you to still see the components and the cooling and to have an easier time typing and using he desk.
  2. In the previous version you had a 3 way split, while this was visually interesting you may have better cooling results (and easier tubing runs) if you mimicked this bu running some of the tubing under the bottom panel, ie one loop of tubing that flows back upon it's self (I may not be explaining this well).
  3. I like that you have the PSU hidden in the back, consider adding a surge suppressor in the same area, this would allow you to more easily manage power cables from the monitors and the PSU.
  4. Related to the previous, run the main power cable out a leg, you could also use this routing space for ethernet cables.

Hope this helps, I will add anymore below an edit tag if I think of them. Can't wait to see this. Version 1.0 was amazing.

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

I highly suggest making the area in between your legs and arms thinner. That's it, can't wait to see this completed!

Back from the dead....

looks good the only thing i would say is that the desk top is quite thick, try making it thinner by laying the rad down flat and using pcie x16 extenders so you can lay the graphics cards down down flat. (this would also give you a better view of the components).

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

I don't like that it's desk shaped.

Looks good

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Subbed. Loved the first desk. Many of the points herein are my opinion, not objectively one way or the other.

1. Thickness of the desk top. I would suggest recessing the primary components further on the left side and using the middle of the desk to run hard tubing to the right side (holding radiators). This would allow you to still see the components and the cooling and to have an easier time typing and using he desk.
  2. In the previous version you had a 3 way split, while this was visually interesting you may have better cooling results (and easier tubing runs) if you mimicked this bu running some of the tubing under the bottom panel, ie one loop of tubing that flows back upon it's self (I may not be explaining this well).
  3. I like that you have the PSU hidden in the back, consider adding a surge suppressor in the same area, this would allow you to more easily manage power cables from the monitors and the PSU.
  4. Related to the previous, run the main power cable out a leg, you could also use this routing space for ethernet cables.

Hope this helps, I will add anymore below an edit tag if I think of them. Can't wait to see this. Version 1.0 was amazing.

I like the ideas that you have pointed out, though I probably will not have the three way split this time around. As it creates more fluid, meaning I need more pressure from the pumps to push the water around. I will try and do the cleanest, parallel runs possible with only one run, instead of a split.

I especially love the power cable out a leg, that is actually awesome! However finding a drill big enough to go through a leg? we shall see hahaha

I highly suggest making the area in between your legs and arms thinner. That's it, can't wait to see this completed!

It is only 11cm, I could make it smaller as the only thing that will be in that area is the reservoir and my ssd's so I guess I only have to make it thick enough to house those :)

looks good the only thing i would say is that the desk top is quite thick, try making it thinner by laying the rad down flat and using pcie x16 extenders so you can lay the graphics cards down down flat. (this would also give you a better view of the components).

I can't really lye the radiator down as it the intake will be really awkward and will lose a lot of performance. Also means I have to have exhaust through the bottom etc. Though the top is thick, remember that I will be having the section between my arms and legs a lot smaller as you can see with that rounded section. I have thought about laying my GPU's down, but I like them 90 degrees, I have seen quite a few builds that have used extenders and personally I didn't like them. 

But yeah, since all the components are in the left bay, and the leg/arm section is narrow all should be well!

I especially love the power cable out a leg, that is actually awesome! However finding a drill big enough to go through a leg? we shall see hahaha

I believe dewalt has a 2 or 3 foot drill bit extension, I would have to check, you can find them, they are usually used for drilling holes through wall joists after the walls are up.

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

God dammit! Just give me your old desk ok?

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

A couple more suggestions for you.

1. LED strip lighting under the motherboard (maybe use frosted acrylic around the edge to diffuse the light)
  2. I would place a cross beam between the right legs and along the back for support/visual appearance
  3. 3rd vandal switch for lighting control
  4. Hide the pumps in the rear cavity
  5. Run USB extensions into the back space for keyboard/mouse (just leave a small cutout for cable management)
  6. As an alternative to 5 run keyboard and mouse cables under the top of the desk
  7. Hinge the rear space for ease of access
  8. Consider aluminum flashing around the edge of the glass.

• 4 weeks later...

make something that moves in the middle :D 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

If you want you could have the power supply showing instead of in the back because some power supplies look pretty nice and you could just cut a hole in the wood to hide cables.

Also you could turn two draws in to one in order to make one tall enough to store files.

I5 3570k, Direct CUII 660ti, intel 330 180gb ssd, Asus maximus V formula.

"Woody" fully wooden computer case http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/26658-fully-wooden-computer-case-woody/

"Resurrection" a custom desk with and open design http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/74736-custom-desk-with-and-open-design-resurrection/

My suggestion:add another 480mm Rad and also a Surge protector (as @Saladin said)next to the power supply that enclosed area.That gives more cooling.Also add another fan at the side of the front(or really anywhere,)for better air flow instead of just hot radiator air coming in and out of the area.

Also i suggest putting a UPS under the shelves(?) .

I believe dewalt has a 2 or 3 foot drill bit extension, I would have to check, you can find them, they are usually used for drilling holes through wall joists after the walls are up.

or just use a router and cut a grove for the cable?

I really love this! :D Looks a lot like what I had envisioned to do myself one day :P

Do you have any plans for the back section of the desk (where the PSU is)?

Could probs fit a ton of storage drives in there!

Current rig: i5 4670K | GTX 670 | Asus Z87I-Pro | Silverstone Strider Plus 600W | Custom mITX case | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Samsung 840 120GB | G430 | CM Storm Quickfire Pro - MX Red | LG 21.5"

agree in stead of a cylinder res i would be looking at making a box from scratch so you can increase the volume of the res while making it slimmer

since a normal desk is about an inch thick i would be trying to get under 2 inch's at least

Another thing that would look good is getting some pcie extension cables to lay your graphics cards down, that way your motherboard area will have a slimmer profile

also with your old desk the board you mounted on it for your monitor sorta spoiled it i would look at getting a proper vesa mount frame

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Maybe just a little critism that I didn't liked too much in the first desk.

I found the tubing just too long in some spots. I would like to have this a little more centered if possible enabling you to use shorter runs with the tubing just to clean up asthetics? I'm probably the only one with that opinion, but hey you've asked for it :P

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

I downloaded the sketchup and modified it a bit and found out there is space for 12 HDD's (in a custom built drive cage) in the back of the desk near the PSU so that's awesome... I would upload the file but I made imported it into blender and it would not go back to sketch up! So ya I would try and add the drive cages back there when you build the case Just make em with some wood and it should work fine.

get some ribbon cables and lie the gpu's on their side next to the mobo

Hi, Nice job there.. I'm starting one myself too ill keep posting when i get the parts.
I want to give my humble opinion, tho I'm no expert and I've never done this before but here goes:
1- I suggest to move your vandal switches up on the surface all the way to the back, next to the psu tray to enjoy the led on them or use military switches :P
2- I can see a lot of free space which wont be good under the glass i guess, so try and make your table smaller and do a nice cage for your hdd with UV fans on it ;) if your not using WC
3- That was suggested to me by ghost use acrylic tubing.. you can actually get a heat gun and heat it up then bend it if you don't want to buy a lot of fittings http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHpreTceVpw   
4- I'm not really sure what are you gonna do with the wiring but I would suggest to make the wiring from the bottom + the back and hide the bottom with a removable cover.
well that's it and I'm looking forward to see this through hopefully i learn smth xD

Thank you all very much for your criticism, it has all been a contributing factor to what my final design will be.

I should have the new design up within the week :) currently on holiday at the moment!