NVIDIA Announces Tegra 'Parker'

HKZeroFive
1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Denver performance is usually good but I think they were worried about power consumption.

Power consumption in a car? 

(I've only half-read this thread....so I may be making a wrong assumption)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

Yeah. Car power consumptions is very important.

Also, it's being used in the Nintendo NX which needs low power.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

13 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Also, it's being used in the Nintendo NX which needs low power.

If it was, it would have to be a modified version. Even then, Denver cores are quite different to your typical, traditional processors. It seems unlikely that the Nintendo NX would be sporting this.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

5 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

Based o the language of the article, it seems to only be applying to phones and phablets. As long as the ARM tablet market is around, Nvidia would love to have a piece of it.

Given how the tablet market is doing, the phone SOC market should be something they'd love even more to have a piece of. I think this is more about them struggling to hit smartphone TDPs, and choosing to play to their strength of high GPU performance (at higher TDP) instead.

1 hour ago, HKZeroFive said:

If it was, it would have to be a modified version. Even then, Denver cores are quite different to your typical, traditional processors. It seems unlikely that the Nintendo NX would be sporting this.

Nvidia and Nintendo already confirmed it is a Parker Tegra being used for the NX.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

2 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Yes, that is a situation where power draw is incredibly important lest you fry the battery, alternators, or both.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

1 minute ago, patrickjp93 said:

Nvidia and Nintendo already confirmed it is a Parker Tegra being used for the NX.

Source?

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

2 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Yes, that is a situation where power draw is incredibly important lest you fry the battery, alternators, or both.

You're taking about what...like a 10w difference? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

You're taking about what...like a 10w difference? 

Probably 25W since it'll have to perform in a hot environment which will increase leakage, but think about your car battery vs. a UPS battery pack. The total power storage is only a factor of 2 or 3 higher. Even if you're not feeding a 95W TDP CPU, you still should be optimizing for power consumption when programming things for cars. This is especially true for Teslas.

10 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Source?

Read the sources of this article and ignore the venue. http://www.christiantoday.com.au/article/nintendo.nx.latest.news.updates.powered.with.nvidia.tegra.x2.ea.joins.the.line.up/22534.htm

6 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

No official confirmation but at least the rumoured specs of the 'Tegra X2' line up with those of the Tegra Parker.

Spoiler

21 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

No official confirmation but at least the rumoured specs of the 'Tegra X2' line up with those of the Tegra Parker.

It is official. Look at the sources. Also, "confirmed" is right in the article.

50 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

It is official. Look at the sources. Also, "confirmed" is right in the article.

'It looks like everything we thought we knew about the Nintendo NX could be thrown out the window if the Tegra X2 and modular controller rumors are accurate.' - from the source of that article.

Why the Denver cores? It makes no sense for Nintendo's NX.

Spoiler

'It looks like everything we thought we knew about the Nintendo NX could be thrown out the window if the Tegra X2 and modular controller rumors are accurate.' - from the source of that article.

Why the Denver cores? It makes no sense for Nintendo's NX.

Yes it does. Performance doesn't come for free. Maybe A72 wasn't good enough.

3 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

Yes it does. Performance doesn't come for free. Maybe A72 wasn't good enough.

IIRC, Denver was originally designed to execute ARM and x86 code so one problem arises from that: Intel's hold on x86 and the legality of it.

On top of that, Denver's performance in benchmarks didn't translate particularly well into real-world performance. I don't see where NVIDIA and Nintendo are exactly going with Tegra Parker if they do use it.

Spoiler

9 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

IIRC, Denver was originally designed to execute ARM and x86 code so one problem arises from that: Intel's hold on x86 and the legality of it.

On top of that, Denver's performance in benchmarks didn't translate particularly well into real-world performance. I don't see where NVIDIA and Nintendo are exactly going with Tegra Parker if they do use it.

Denver had amazing performance in a number of areas. It smashed the A8 processor's numbers and forced Apple to release a tri-core A8X to remain competitive.

And so what if Nvidia can't execute x86 code? Programming for ARM is not so different from programming for x86 unless you're working at the assembly level.

2 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

Denver had amazing performance in a number of areas. It smashed the A8 processor's numbers and forced Apple to release a tri-core A8X to remain competitive.

And so what if Nvidia can't execute x86 code? Programming for ARM is not so different from programming for x86 unless you're working at the assembly level.

Yes, but it was also very inconsistent. To quote AnandTech, 'Ultimately this kind of inconsistent performance is a risk and a challenge for Denver. While no single SoC tops every last CPU benchmark, we also don’t typically see the kind of large variations that are occurring with Denver. If Denver’s lows are too low, then it definitely impacts the suitability of the SoC for high-end devices, as users have come to expect peppy performance at all times.'

If NVIDIA can't execute x86 code, that may place some restrictions on cross-platform development. I still don't see why they're using A57s and Denver for Nintendo's NX.

Spoiler

Yes, but it was also very inconsistent. To quote AnandTech, 'Ultimately this kind of inconsistent performance is a risk and a challenge for Denver. While no single SoC tops every last CPU benchmark, we also don’t typically see the kind of large variations that are occurring with Denver. If Denver’s lows are too low, then it definitely impacts the suitability of the SoC for high-end devices, as users have come to expect peppy performance at all times.'

If NVIDIA can't execute x86 code, that may place some restrictions on cross-platform development. I still don't see why they're using A57s and Denver for Nintendo's NX.

Because performance and efficiency. It was the first crack at VLIW in a long time. No one reasonably expected it to be flawless the first time around.

Didn't we hear just a little while ago that nvidia was shutting down the whole tegra line?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Can we see a new shield device based on this new soc for 2016?

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

1 hour ago, Fgtfv567 said:

Can we see a new shield device based on this new soc for 2016?

I'd like that too but I doubt it.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I wonder what would spiderman and peter parker would say...

(⌐■_■) 

8 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

Because performance and efficiency. It was the first crack at VLIW in a long time. No one reasonably expected it to be flawless the first time around.

We'll see. Denver was a failure the first time round, so here's hoping they get it right this time.

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

We'll see. Denver was a failure the first time round, so here's hoping they get it right this time.

It was a big success. Nvidia made back its R&D 3x over.

19 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

It was a big success. Nvidia made back its R&D 3x over.

I'll need a source for that.

The only product that used it was the Nexus 9, and that had sluggish sales figures. For a company that invested so much into Denver, only to have it in a single product which yielded poor sales (which was primarily due to the overheating and stuttering), I'd call that a failure to be honest.

Spoiler