Asus x99 E-WS Board with PCIE-m.2 Boot Drive

sampakk

Is the Asus x99 E-WS mobo & BIOS compatible with the PCI-E SSD Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive and Kingston Predator 480GB PCI-E Solid State Drive?

I am trying to boot my OS (Windows 7) onto the ones of theses SSD but my bios is not recognizing them. My BIOS is up to date.

Try reseating it, or possiby the cable, or your ssd might need to have windows reinstalled.

13 minutes ago, sampakk said:

Is the Asus x99 E-WS mobo & BIOS compatible with the PCI-E SSD Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive and Kingston Predator 480GB PCI-E Solid State Drive?

I am trying to boot my OS (Windows 7) onto the ones of theses SSD but my bios is not recognizing them. My BIOS is up to date.

Sometimes the NWMe drive will not show up until you try to install windows

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ stock for now --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16Gb --- MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Formula --- GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 980ti --- PSU: Corsair AX860i  ---  Storage: Samsung 850 250gb(OS), 3x Western Digital Blue 3tb (one for game and programs, two for media), 3tb WD Green(somewhat backup) and a Crucial M550 120gb SSD (caching games and programs drive)  --- Case: Fractal Define R5 --- Cooler: Corsair H100i with Noctua 2000rpm, Industrial Fans --- OS: Windows 10 --- Monitor: Asus PB298q + AOC l2260SWD --- Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum --- Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) Red LED's --- Audio: Audio Engine A2's (yes the originals), Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Ant Lion Mod Mic V4 --- Laptop: Dell XPS 9750 

Just now, astrosheen said:

Sometimes the NWMe drive will not show up until you try to install windows

Thanks. Does this mean I have to install my OS on another available drive and they reinstall the OS onto the m.2 drive if I want to make that my boot drive?

Just now, sampakk said:

Thanks. Does this mean I have to install my OS on another available drive and they reinstall the OS onto the m.2 drive if I want to make that my boot drive?

No it should show up as an available drive when choosing where to install windows 

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ stock for now --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16Gb --- MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Formula --- GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 980ti --- PSU: Corsair AX860i  ---  Storage: Samsung 850 250gb(OS), 3x Western Digital Blue 3tb (one for game and programs, two for media), 3tb WD Green(somewhat backup) and a Crucial M550 120gb SSD (caching games and programs drive)  --- Case: Fractal Define R5 --- Cooler: Corsair H100i with Noctua 2000rpm, Industrial Fans --- OS: Windows 10 --- Monitor: Asus PB298q + AOC l2260SWD --- Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum --- Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) Red LED's --- Audio: Audio Engine A2's (yes the originals), Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Ant Lion Mod Mic V4 --- Laptop: Dell XPS 9750 

Just now, astrosheen said:

No it should show up as an available drive when choosing where to install windows 

The drive did not show up when I tried to install Windows 7.

4 minutes ago, sampakk said:

The drive did not show up when I tried to install Windows 7.

Windows 7 doesn't come with NVMe drivers.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/guide-installing-windows-7-on-an-nvme-ssd-from-a-usb-3-0-thumbdrive.783921/

2 minutes ago, sampakk said:

Thanks! I currently have a Disc for Windows 7. Is there any way I can get a download version to a USB key. I have the product code.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool