Is my PSU bottlenecking CPU and GPU?

PieceDigital

I'm wondering if my penny pinching has screwed me out of better performance. A few months ago I bought a lot of new hardware, basically replacing all of the main guts of my computer (MOBO, CPU, GPU, PSU, RAM). Here are my specifications:

MOBO: ASROCK FMA88M PRO3

CPU: AMD Athlon 860k

GPU: R7 370

PSU: EVGA 430w

RAM: 2x 4GB Ballistix Sport

I was recommended a similar build a while ago... but, being the e cheapo I am, I opted for a 430w instead of the recommended 500w. Was that my mistake? If I get a better PSU will my hardware be utilized more? This doesn't seem right that the GPU is not even half way being used.

I was playing Street Fighter 5 on the lowest settings and getting sub 60 FPS.

P.S., it seems that I really did screw myself over if this guy can record Battlefield and I can hardly record Minecraft: 

Screenshot (68).png

771cb05f84cc76d16224031d8bd544db.png

3 minutes ago, PieceDigital said:

I'm wondering if my penny pinching has screwed me out of better performance. A few months ago I bought a lot of new hardware, basically replacing all of the main guts of my computer (MOBO, CPU, GPU, PSU, RAM). Here are my specifications:

MOBO: ASROCK FMA88M PRO3

CPU: AMD Athlon 860k

GPU: R7 370

PSU: EVGA 430w

RAM: 2x 4GB Ballistix Sport

I was recommended a similar build a while ago... but, being the e cheapo I am, I opted for a 430w instead of the recommended 500w. Was that my mistake? If I get a better PSU will my hardware be utilized more? This doesn't seem right that the GPU is not even half way being used.

I was playing Street Fighter 5 on the lowest settings and getting sub 60 FPS.

P.S., it seems that I really did screw myself over if this guy can record Battlefield and I can hardly record Minecraft: 

Screenshot (68).png

771cb05f84cc76d16224031d8bd544db.png

No, im doubtful its your PSU, more than likely you have a thermal issue or some of your hardware is whack. Check your cpu temps and check all of your cables and ram.

A PSU is not bottlenecking your computer. Not saying your PSU is good, I don't know what your PSU is.

Maybe street fighter is a single threaded game so the fact that you have a quadcore with a IPC could be the issue.

That YouTuber probably uses an external capture card so he isn't loosing any frames.

If you are not at your max settings and your CPU and GPU are not at 100%, turn it up, that could be the issue as well.

Also, i plugged your CPU and gpu into pcpartpicker and that draws about 200 watts, so power is unlikely

That guy in the video probably overclocked his cpu.

Spoiler

CPU: i7 5930k  |  Motherboard: EVGA X99 Classified  |  RAM: 32 GB Crucial DDR4  |  GPU:  R9 290 Reference Tri-Crossfire w/Kraken g10 mod  | Case: Corsair 780t  |  Storage: Sandisk 960GB SSD, Crucial 960GB SSD, 128GB Sandisk SSD, Seagate 2TB Hard Drive, Seagate Archive Drive 8TB, HGST Deskstar 4TB  |  PSU: Rosewill Gold Lightning-1300, Display(s): Nixeus Vue 24"144Hz FreeSync, 50in TV, Yiynova MVP22U(V3) Tablet Monitor w/ Mechanical Arm  |  Cooling: Cosair H55, H105, 2*Kraken X41  |  Keyboard:  Rosewill Mechanical Brown Keyboard| Mouse: MX Master, G602  | Sound:  Sennheiser HD 700, Westone W40, SoundBlaster e5, Fiio e18

So i've had a problem with a PSU not supplying enough power before and parts don't undervolt themselves, the computer just shuts off.                

21 minutes ago, Rekedal said:

No, im doubtful its your PSU, more than likely you have a thermal issue or some of your hardware is whack. Check your cpu temps and check all of your cables and ram.

CPU goes up to 82 playing Srteet Fighter :/ Everything else is under 50.

3 minutes ago, PieceDigital said:

CPU goes up to 82 playing Srteet Fighter :/ Everything else is under 50.

If that is underload, you might just be thermal throttling and need to upgrade your cpu cooler, if under idle, you might have a problem eith thermal compound either you didnt put enough, too much, degraded, etc. Also, what cpu heatsink are you using?

To my knowledge the only way a PSU can "bottleneck" a system is by shutting it off completely when it is unable to meet the power requirements the computer needs. If your computer isn't crashing, I don't think your PSU is an issue.

Just now, Rekedal said:

If that is underload, you might just be thermal throttling and need to upgrade your cpu cooler, if under idle, you might have a problem eith thermal compound either you didnt put enough, too much, degraded, etc.

I forgot to mention my cooler. It's a CRYORIG H7. Chances are I didn't apply it correctly. Hopefully that's the issue. I'd really like to stream more games :( 

1 minute ago, Zyndo said:

To my knowledge the only way a PSU can "bottleneck" a system is by shutting it off completely when it is unable to meet the power requirements the computer needs. If your computer isn't crashing, I don't think your PSU is an issue.

Never knew what would be the cause of having too little power. Good thing this isn't the issue.

Just now, PieceDigital said:

I forgot to mention my cooler. It's a CRYORIG H7. Chances are I didn't apply it correctly. Hopefully that's the issue. I'd really like to stream more games :( 

Yeah, thats a big cooler, if its hitting those temps theres a good change something when wrong. Oh, dont be like Jayztwocents, make sure you took off the plastic film! ?

2 minutes ago, Rekedal said:

Yeah, thats a big cooler, if its hitting those temps theres a good change something when wrong. Oh, dont be like Jayztwocents, make sure you took off the plastic film! ?

If I have alcohol I'm gonna clean it and reapply (I bought thermal paste).

Just now, PieceDigital said:

If I have alcohol I'm gonna clean it and reapply (I bought thermal paste).

Okay, let us know how it goes! Make sure your fan header is plugged in too, ive done it before.... never had a pc shut off so quick

21 hours ago, Rekedal said:

Okay, let us know how it goes! Make sure your fan header is plugged in too, ive done it before.... never had a pc shut off so quick

Alright, so I've reapplied the paste and I think I've come to this conclusion: I need a new case and cooler. In order for the CPU temp to drop into the 50s while idle I need for the side of the case to be off. The case fan is a mere 1 inch away from my cooler. I don't know if that's normal. Also, the fan for my cooler is spinning slower than my case fan. Not sure if it's supposed to be that way either.

Speccy is showing very large fluctuation in temps, from 52 to 65, 55 to 71, 64 to 75, etc. I don't know what to think about these temps as I have no experience.

P.S., do you have any recommendations for an inexpensive case? My MOBO is a mini ATX and my case is a midsized tower. I hear there are decent cases for around $50.

Your cooler should be fine, post a pic of your rig so we can see :) also, how many case fans do you  have and cpu fans tend to be slower because theyre static pressure pwm = slower higher force. Also, is your cpu fan connected to the right header. With your cooler you shouldnt have temp problems at idle. You shoulsnt be going above 75 at load either.

6 hours ago, Rekedal said:

Your cooler should be fine, post a pic of your rig so we can see :) also, how many case fans do you  have and cpu fans tend to be slower because theyre static pressure pwm = slower higher force. Also, is your cpu fan connected to the right header. With your cooler you shouldnt have temp problems at idle. You shoulsnt be going above 75 at load either.

I needed to increase my fan speed so it usually stays under 80 at load. But I do need a new case. It's not an after market; the case, optical and hard drives are the things that I kept from the original computer.

Yeahx increase your fan speed and you should be fine. Some more airflow in your case would help too.