Starting out

kip0100101

I am trying to learn how to code to make video games and software any suggestions on where to start like what language to use?

College or a lot of self teaching.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Depends on what engine you want to use. I am learning unity right now so I mainly use c sharp (c#).

Spoiler

CPU: i7 5930k  |  Motherboard: EVGA X99 Classified  |  RAM: 32 GB Crucial DDR4  |  GPU:  R9 290 Reference Tri-Crossfire w/Kraken g10 mod  | Case: Corsair 780t  |  Storage: Sandisk 960GB SSD, Crucial 960GB SSD, 128GB Sandisk SSD, Seagate 2TB Hard Drive, Seagate Archive Drive 8TB, HGST Deskstar 4TB  |  PSU: Rosewill Gold Lightning-1300, Display(s): Nixeus Vue 24"144Hz FreeSync, 50in TV, Yiynova MVP22U(V3) Tablet Monitor w/ Mechanical Arm  |  Cooling: Cosair H55, H105, 2*Kraken X41  |  Keyboard:  Rosewill Mechanical Brown Keyboard| Mouse: MX Master, G602  | Sound:  Sennheiser HD 700, Westone W40, SoundBlaster e5, Fiio e18

5 minutes ago, iLoiter said:

Depends on what engine you want to use. I am learning unity right now so I mainly use c sharp (c#).

Ill look at unity but I have visual studio

Just now, kip0100101 said:

Ill look at unity but I have visual studio

Then your main focus is C++.

Spoiler

CPU: i7 5930k  |  Motherboard: EVGA X99 Classified  |  RAM: 32 GB Crucial DDR4  |  GPU:  R9 290 Reference Tri-Crossfire w/Kraken g10 mod  | Case: Corsair 780t  |  Storage: Sandisk 960GB SSD, Crucial 960GB SSD, 128GB Sandisk SSD, Seagate 2TB Hard Drive, Seagate Archive Drive 8TB, HGST Deskstar 4TB  |  PSU: Rosewill Gold Lightning-1300, Display(s): Nixeus Vue 24"144Hz FreeSync, 50in TV, Yiynova MVP22U(V3) Tablet Monitor w/ Mechanical Arm  |  Cooling: Cosair H55, H105, 2*Kraken X41  |  Keyboard:  Rosewill Mechanical Brown Keyboard| Mouse: MX Master, G602  | Sound:  Sennheiser HD 700, Westone W40, SoundBlaster e5, Fiio e18

8 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

College or a lot of self teaching.

How is that for making a game?

4 minutes ago, iLoiter said:

Then your main focus is C++.

Looking at the games made for unity I think I am going to use that instead.

1 minute ago, kip0100101 said:

Looking at the games made for unity I think I am going to use that instead.

Unity is a game engine, Visual Studio is an IDE. They are used for completely different things, you can use both.

Just now, fizzlesticks said:

Unity is a game engine, Visual Studio is an IDE. They are used for completely different things, you can use both.

Alright thanks for the help, could you give me an example for something made on visual studio that aren't games?

2 minutes ago, kip0100101 said:

Alright thanks for the help, could you give me an example for something made on visual studio that aren't games?

VS is used to write, run, debug and profile code, anything you see can be made using it including the code used in a game made in Unity.

1 minute ago, fizzlesticks said:

VS is used to write, run, debug and profile code, anything you see can be made using it including the code used in a game made in Unity.

ok

I highly advise against just getting unity and trying to code a game but instead get some programming knowledge under your belt. as @Nuluvius will suggest.

My friend tried to skip and just "learn to code" he installed unity and got half way into a tutorial released he didn't understand what any of the code really meant or what it did or why it was there and gave quickly up.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

1 hour ago, vorticalbox said:

I highly advise against just getting unity and trying to code a game but instead get some programming knowledge under your belt. as @Nuluvius will suggest.

My friend tried to skip and just "learn to code" he installed unity and got half way into a tutorial released he didn't understand what any of the code really meant or what it did or why it was there and gave quickly up.

I second this.

Unity is not the easiest way to start to learn how to program. Making a game is probably one of the hardest things you can attempt. If you are dead-set on making a game and learning how to code, then Greenfoot should be more up your alley. It uses JAVA as the programming language, plenty of tutorials and the author of the software even made a book to guide you through it. Making a game such as "Space Codex"  or "Geometry Wars" in Greenfoot is entirely possible, but it takes time and effort. 

It is important to know you cannot make some amazing game from the get go, start small and go big.  So first learn the basics and then build up. Diving into Unity head-first is possible, however I extremely advice against doing it as you will waste your time.

And if you are stubborn, ChilliTomatoNoodle on YouTube has got your back with C++ DirectX game tutorials. But I doubt you will get any form of enjoyment in it as you will need to understand C++ on atleast a basic level to completely understand what you are making alongside his tutorials.

Your average Software Engineering student.

11 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

ok

26 minutes ago, kip0100101 said:

ok

its going to feel over whelming trust me I've been coding fir a few years now and still reading over @Nuluvius list and don't under stand all of it.

during my years at college it is basically focus on OOP (object oriented programming) which is also something you can read up on.

if you need any help with code or explaining anything feel free to post on the forums always someone about to help.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Please, Please don't listen to the "This language is better for this!  So learn this language!" crap!  It doesn't matter what language you use at first but HOW you use it.  So, learn one language and branch off.  I would suggest something like Python if you want to dive straight in because there are so many tutorials and so many per-existing packages and programs out there that you can use

C++ is good if you want to go in hard and branch out (if you know c++, learning a higher level language is much easier than the other way round). 

Javascript is great because it's so universal and everything is an object is multiplied by like 1,000!  so, it's much more easier to get grasp of object oriented programming, besides, it can be used for web-development like Python but you've got JQuery, and Angler and other frameworks and libraries like electron for making all kinds of cool thing!

In the end, don't decide based on what people tell you to do.  Learn one language, program EVERY DAY for 180 days straight, and make ONE NEW program EACH DAY and keep progressing.  Starting out in programming requires dedication, but once you are passed the dark tunnel and see the light it becomes more easier and more fun!  And there is a plethora of free books out there.  One of the best books for Python is "how to think like a computer scientist" you can search it up in Google, it's free and interative.  Very good book for jumping right in! 

3 hours ago, Mike_The_B0ss said:

Please, Please don't listen to the "This language is better for this!  So learn this language!" crap!  It doesn't matter what language you use at first but HOW you use it.  So, learn one language and branch off.  I would suggest something like Python if you want to dive straight in because there are so many tutorials and so many per-existing packages and programs out there that you can use

C++ is good if you want to go in hard and branch out (if you know c++, learning a higher level language is much easier than the other way round). 

Javascript is great because it's so universal and everything is an object is multiplied by like 1,000!  so, it's much more easier to get grasp of object oriented programming, besides, it can be used for web-development like Python but you've got JQuery, and Angler and other frameworks and libraries like electron for making all kinds of cool thing!

In the end, don't decide based on what people tell you to do.  Learn one language, program EVERY DAY for 180 days straight, and make ONE NEW program EACH DAY and keep progressing.  Starting out in programming requires dedication, but once you are passed the dark tunnel and see the light it becomes more easier and more fun!  And there is a plethora of free books out there.  One of the best books for Python is "how to think like a computer scientist" you can search it up in Google, it's free and interative.  Very good book for jumping right in! 

thank you