AMD Hosting Zen Event at HotChips on Tuesday

Source:http://www.hotchips.org/program/

5:45 PM Processors  Inside 6th generation Intel Core code named Skylake:: New Microarchitecture and Power Management Jack Doweck  Intel
    POWER9: Processor for the Cognitive Era Brian Thompto IBM
    A New, High Performance x86 Core Design from AMD Michael Clark  AMD

So it seems that on Tuesday of this week at 5:45 P.M. AMD will be hosting an event on "A New, High Performance x86 Core Design from AMD." This is quite obviously Zen that they're talking about, so by the sounds of it it looks like we'll be getting more architectural details on the Zen architecture. This will definitely be an interesting follow up to the info AMD gave us a few days ago on the memory heirachy of Zen, and hopefully they'll give us more info on the design of the individual cores in Zen as well as perhaps some more benchmarks (though I personally am not betting on this happening). So stay tuned for more Zen coming at ya in 2 days!

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

4 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

'HotChips' You say..:|

#Coincidence?

The stigma will never die

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

17 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

All I have to say about this is AMD, please launch Zen when you are ready. Do not pay attention to the hype over your CPUs and launch them ONLY when you are ready. Because intel isn't making any of their CPUs faster now anyways so you don't have to worry about catching up to some new and faster future CPU that doesn't even exist yet (because it will only be 0.3% faster than last-gen anyways).

0.3%? The fuck? What world are you living in? On top of the 7-10% improvements of each generation they've been tweaking pretty much everything else. While it is true that Intel has been focusing more on efficiency in the last four generations, its not like they've been sitting on ass doing nothing but releasing the same thing over and over. WIDI/WiGIG is amazeballs, having a 13-17 hour battery on a decent sized laptop would have been unheard of even two years ago, and even iGPUs have been getting massively better (though with the advent of e-GPUs this may not be a thing for much longer). AMD should indeed take their time to get this right, but they should have started aiming for this goal years before they did.

Intel Omni-Path 4.8 Tbps Switch ASIC and PlatformJames KunzIntel

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

3 minutes ago, Rune said:

0.3%? The fuck? What world are you living in? On top of the 7-10% improvements of each generation they've been tweaking pretty much everything else. While it is true that Intel has been focusing more on efficiency in the last four generations, its not like they've been sitting on ass doing nothing but releasing the same thing over and over. WIDI/WiGIG is amazeballs, having a 13-17 hour battery on a decent sized laptop would have been unheard of even two years ago, and even iGPUs have been getting massively better (though with the advent of e-GPUs this may not be a thing for much longer). AMD should indeed take their time to get this right, but they should have started aiming for this goal years before they did.

I will concede that 10% over 5 generations amounts to just over 60% improvement considering.

So Zen hitting Broadwell is highly unlikely. Haswell maybe.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, Energycore said:

I will concede that 10% over 5 generations amounts to just over 60% improvement considering.

I believe I do remember reading Haswell to be the more accurate comparison. That'd be great compared to what they have now, but I don't think it would be enough to cause the red party people seem to be preparing for.

7 minutes ago, Energycore said:

CPU's can be hit?

I will probably hit me Pentium 3 up to go on a date xD 

1 minute ago, keNNySOC said:

CPU's can be hit?

I will probably hit me Pentium 3 up to go on a date xD 

Pentium 3 was born in 1999.

Just now, Rune said:

Same year as my favorite game

5 minutes ago, Rune said:

Just wait 6 months before you bed Pentium and you're good.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, CUDA_Cores said:

All I have to say about this is AMD, please launch Zen when you are ready. Do not pay attention to the hype over your CPUs and launch them ONLY when you are ready. Because intel isn't making any of their CPUs faster now anyways so you don't have to worry about catching up to some new and faster future CPU that doesn't even exist yet (because it will only be 0.3% faster than last-gen anyways).

My God where do you people keep coming from?! Intel makes its CPUs faster every year by mind-boggling amounts assuming you have programmers who can properly optimize code. Intel can't make 2 integers add together any faster than 1 cycle. No one can, yet that's what Intel would have to do for you people to feel it because software stagnated.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

31 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Just wait 6 months before you bed Pentium and you're good.

Age of sexual consent is 16 or under in 95% of the world

Anywho, I'm interested to see what they're launching with (high or low SKU) to determine what yields they have. Hopefully they launch their higher-end CPUs first, which will mean high yields and they don't have to gather up bins for months to be able to supply higher end chips (and also more profit for fab and AMD)

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

45 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Was it Y2K proof?

Nothing was Y2K proof #Fallout4

That being said, this should be interesting. After all December is only 3 months away now (give or take a week), so we should start to see info about the finished product. Now give some AM4 news please.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

48 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

Age of sexual consent is 16 or under in 95% of the world

Anywho, I'm interested to see what they're launching with (high or low SKU) to determine what yields they have. Hopefully they launch their higher-end CPUs first, which will mean high yields and they don't have to gather up bins for months to be able to supply higher end chips (and also more profit for fab and AMD)

Assuming US/Canada because LTT

I think they'll launch the 8/16 Core First? Dunno

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Was it Y2K proof?

I would hope so, I was using a Pentium 166 until 2002 :)

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

4 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

My God where do you people keep coming from?! Intel makes its CPUs faster every year by mind-boggling amounts assuming you have programmers who can properly optimize code. Intel can't make 2 integers add together any faster than 1 cycle. No one can, yet that's what Intel would have to do for you people to feel it because software stagnated.

Patrick, you're being foolish again.

Intel has increased the data parallism of its vector units by a good amount from each new architecture. Thats helps alots in certain workloads, and basically have no benefits outside it. Trying to defend it by saying "programmers who can properly optimize code" is stupid, you can't properly optimize all code (far from actually) to vector code and expect the same scalability. In the general pipeline outside of vector data parallelism, what have Intel exactly done to makes it CPU faster? Not much.

Also Intel have made a CPU who can make 2 integers add together faster than 1 cycle, ie. netburst. That is if you remember clock cycles are a relative.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

Dear AMD , I love you and all but please dont jack this one up. I have high hopes for this CPU, but that does not mean that you have to rush it through the door. Take as much as time you want , I want this to be near perfect.

(⌐■_■) 

6 hours ago, Nicholatian said:

IPC improvements are magnitudes greater than 0.3%, not to mention Intel has been gradually upping clock rates as well since Sandy Bridge.

Well Kabylake is just a Skylake refresh. It's nothing special, other than some beefier on-board graphics.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

14 minutes ago, Tomsen said:

Patrick, you're being foolish again.

Intel has increased the data parallism of its vector units by a good amount from each new architecture. Thats helps alots in certain workloads, and basically have no benefits outside it. Trying to defend it by saying "programmers who can properly optimize code" is stupid, you can't properly optimize all code (far from actually) to vector code and expect the same scalability. In the general pipeline outside of vector data parallelism, what have Intel exactly done to makes it CPU faster? Not much.

Also Intel have made a CPU who can make 2 integers add together faster than 1 cycle, ie. netburst. That is if you remember clock cycles are a relative.

I'm sorry but you're also forgetting MIMD instructions, and you'd be surprised how much of game code can be vectorized, especially if the engine is component based.

Also wrong. Steven Lavavej, Andrei Alendrescu, and Scott Meyers are all the proof you need.

Intel increased its independent execution port number to 9 and provided not 1,2, or 3 ALUs, but 4. At some point it comes down to programmers. We have SIMD, and we have MIMD. People need to get with the times or get out of the way.

No, Netburst did not. What it did do is introduce having 2 ALUs, making the throughput increase, but not decreasing the instruction latency.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

5 hours ago, Notional said:

Nothing was Y2K proof #Fallout4

Including the game's performance and graphics :P

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

AMD all I want is for the following three points to be achieved in the consumer CPU market, even partially:

1-Being able to get a proper quad under 180 USD with good IPC  (basically under the i5 4460/i5 6400)

2- Having a overclockable CPU under the 180 USD point that is half decent and is not a silly pentium that only overclock with Z97 after a stupid microcode update or a old FX/Athlon CPUs. 

3-Maybe we can get less pricey proper 6+ core CPUs

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

21 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

I'm sorry but you're also forgetting MIMD instructions, and you'd be surprised how much of game code can be vectorized, especially if the engine is component based.

Also wrong. Steven Lavavej, Andrei Alendrescu, and Scott Meyers are all the proof you need.

Intel increased its independent execution port number to 9 and provided not 1,2, or 3 ALUs, but 4. At some point it comes down to programmers. We have SIMD, and we have MIMD. People need to get with the times or get out of the way.

No, Netburst did not. What it did do is introduce having 2 ALUs, making the throughput increase, but not decreasing the instruction latency.

Name a few of those MIMD instructions then (just to make sure we are talking about the same things, I don't think you are through). Games sure have things that can be parallelized, the issue is rather the more serialized procedure dx11 takes. Let me frame it this way: Could the same optimizations not be done in scalar code and yield the same benefits?

You name a few old wizards and call it a proof? You want me to look through all their individual stuff? Be more clear, or I might as well say you should open your eyes as a proof.

Intel has increased the execution port number from 6 to 9, increased ALU count from 3 -> 4 in what 8 years? At some point, the hardware needs to advance for the software developers to take advantage of. We have SIMD, which are very useful for SIMD related workloads. You do realize most software use MIMD? Any multi-threaded software in fact.

Patrick, you clearly don't know what I'm talking about in regards to netburst. I'm not talking about introducing 2 ALUs, but rather have the ALUs run 2x the clock speed of the CPU, giving the effect of a 0.5 cycle execution for normal 1 cycle executions. Sure, to store the result the instruction latency appeared the same (to not mess up with cache subsystems), but intermediate executions was possible iirc. Ie, you could reuse the value generated in the first 0.5 cycle in the next 0.5 cycle, effectively cutting the data latency by half in relative to CPU clocks.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO