Will GTX 1060 3gb will suffice for 1080p gaming?

Syehino

Hi as the title says can I max out / play on high setting without a hitch with the 3gb vram? I'm really on a tight budget and I can only choose between this or the rx 470 4gb.

Thank you for the help :)

Yes. You may encounter some issues with VRAM, but for the most part you will have zero issues. The RX470 will be a better choice IMO. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Grab the 470 instead. It's damn near as good as the RX 480 if overclocked, to the point that I must ask what the engineers over there were smoking when designing it.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

34 minutes ago, Syehino said:

Hi as the title says can I max out / play on high setting without a hitch with the 3gb vram? I'm really on a tight budget and I can only choose between this or the rx 470 4gb.

Thank you for the help :)

Get the one which is cheaper. I don't think you will have much issues with 3GB, at least not with the current titles. 

The 1060 should be a hair faster, but the 470 will last you a long time due to more VRAM. 

Home PC: i5 6402P | Kingston HyperX 8GBx2 | Gigabyte G1 gaming GTX 1060 | Kingston UV400 240GB | WD blue 1TB Gigabyte H110m-S2 Cooler Master B500 v2

Laptop: Lenovo Yoga 710(Kaby Lake)

Phone: Oneplus 3

Tablet: iPad air 2

I would take the 470 as well. I really like my RX480 4gig and the 470 is almost as fast. I mean I play GTA V at very high settings mostly and still get well over 60hz while playing at a little more that 1080p. There are no games that force me to go play at undesirable quality settings. Most games just ultra and very high. 

I am however a little bit of an AMD fanboy when it comes to GPUs and I also use a Freesync display. Getting your system going with adaptive sync is much cheaper with an amd setup, so that might also be something to consider. 

Other that that the 1060 3gb will most likely be a very good card and the whole vram issue probably isn't one. Usually you get undesirable frame rates before you really suffer from too little vram. 

Oh and the 470 has crossfire support which the 1060 does not....OK I know, I doesn't have SLI support. I really don't give a rat's ass about that, but some people do. I mean I have an ITX system, so what.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

Thank you guys for the reply, I decided that I will go for the 470 mostly because I will keep the card long enough till I manage to finish my studies and get a job. Been saving for the past few months for a new card so I really need to do a research for a card that will suffice for upcoming games.

1 hour ago, Syehino said:

Thank you guys for the reply, I decided that I will go for the 470 mostly because I will keep the card long enough till I manage to finish my studies and get a job. Been saving for the past few months for a new card so I really need to do a research for a card that will suffice for upcoming games.

Er... can you, like, pay 20$ more to just grab the 480? It's just such a better value than the 470, it's not even funny.

Now sure, if you can't afford it, I guess the 470 is the next best thing. But if you can, the 480 is a better value.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

6 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Er... can you, like, pay 20$ more to just grab the 480? It's just such a better value than the 470, it's not even funny.

Now sure, if you can't afford it, I guess the 470 is the next best thing. But if you can, the 480 is a better value.

I tried to find one but unfortunately here in Malaysia an rx470 cost around rm1000 / 250usd.. And a rx 480 around rm1300.. 

1 minute ago, Syehino said:

I tried to find one but unfortunately here in Malaysia an rx470 cost around rm1000 / 250usd.. And a rx 480 around rm1300.. 

RIP.

Used Gtx 970? Maybe you can find that for a reasonable price as well.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

9 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

RIP.

Used Gtx 970? Maybe you can find that for a reasonable price as well.

Not at here,  the price is literally the same as the gtx 1060 3gb and the rx 470, is around rm 900 so does it worth it to save 30 bucks and get the 970 instead? 

9 minutes ago, Syehino said:

Malaysia Buleh!

Anyway, try Gemfive website for a 1060 with discount code, you can get 6GB 1060 for 1.2k or even 1k for Zotac Mini.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

5 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Malaysia Buleh!

Anyway, try Gemfive website for a 1060 with discount code, you can get 6GB 1060 for 1.2k or even 1k for Zotac Mini.

Yeah!! Malaysia boleh blah haha everything so expensive here. :P

40 minutes ago, Syehino said:

Not at here,  the price is literally the same as the gtx 1060 3gb and the rx 470, is around rm 900 so does it worth it to save 30 bucks and get the 970 instead? 

I'd save that cash if I was you. The 970 has a bit more vRAM and performance should be right on par, if not better (remember, the 1060 3gb has fewer cores than the regular 1060). Regardless, either is going to perform significantly better than the 470.

There should not have been a 3 Gb 1060, it should have been called the 1050 and then..... the 950 people would have had a nice upgrade. Now it's like oh... btw here is a gimped 1060. Stupid.

Well you can get 4GB RX 470 aftermarket that will perform as reference RX 480 because it's overclocked, i think 470 is a better deal but that's just me.

37 minutes ago, Syehino said:

Yeah!! Malaysia boleh blah haha everything so expensive here. :P

Haha, seriously, grab this 1060 Jetstream from OCCASIN and use SHIOK12 coupon code when checkout for discount. That is the best deal you can get right now.

http://www.gemfive.com/my/palit-gtx1060-super-jetstream-6gb-ddr5-192bit?___SID=U

I heard Zotac Mini 3GB will cost around RM900.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |