Cheapest possible "decent" smartphone?

Harry Livesley

All I need is a smart phone so I can lift that stupid market ban on steam when you don't use the authenticator. That is the ONLY reason I need a smartphone, and thus I don't want to spend more than £50. Fuck you valve for making me do this. Anyway. I just need something that has decent battery life and can run the steam app. That's all. I have no knowledge of phones as I have never needed to use one before. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Simple thing called an android emulator ya know...it's actually very helpful for your usage scenario ;) 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

Simple thing called an android emulator ya know...it's actually very helpful for your usage scenario ;) 

True, i feel like I should get a phone anyway since I'm leaving my house more and may actually need it. If possible, I could kill two birds with one stone, if I got one with a decent battery life, I could use it for music too (would need 20-40+ hours just on music with the screen turned off)

Just now, Harry Livesley said:

True, i feel like I should get a phone anyway since I'm leaving my house more and may actually need it. If possible, I could kill two birds with one stone, if I got one with a decent battery life, I could use it for music too (would need 20-40+ hours just on music with the screen turned off)

Hmmmm...fair enough :P 

Give me a sec and I'll see what I can find for ya...

Hmmmm...fair enough :P 

Give me a sec and I'll see what I can find for ya...

Thanks, I'd use linus's reviews but they;re all for $400 phones.

if it's only for the app... at least one of your friends should have a smartphone with a nuked battery you could run directly off of USB :P

Just now, manikyath said:

if it's only for the app... at least one of your friends should have a smartphone with a nuked battery you could run directly off of USB :P

"friends"

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

1 minute ago, Harry Livesley said:

"friends"

if you're in school:

- classmates

if you are out of school and have a job:

- collegues

if you are out of school, and dont have a job:

- stop being a parasite :D

if you have a good reason for not having a job:

- cheap chinese tablets? i got one for free with a magazine :P

Whats the battery life like? Or does it say?

should be all day but you can get a battery bank for extra charges

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

1 minute ago, 007agentHP said:

those are actually pretty dang capable smartphones, unfortunately USD is a pretty false view on what stuff costs on this side of the pond we call "ocean".

1 minute ago, Harry Livesley said:

Whats the battery life like? Or does it say?

my mom has one of those, with mild usage (like you would with a dumbphone) you pretty much get trough the week with those if you keep them running clean.

would it be able to play music? If so, for how long?

nvm it isn't available here in the UK

2 minutes ago, 007agentHP said:

1. I can't find new ones here in the land of Brits 

2. $80=80 pounds after brexit...

How about something like the EE rook? Review here and you can find them for around 40 quid now (although it is on EE...the most expensive network...)

nvm it isn't available here in the UK

There are refurbs on amazon...but used phones aren't your cup of tea? The EE rook is currently the only android smartphone I can find that's not straight chinesum here in the UK so erm...

How about something like the EE rook? Review here and you can find them for around 40 quid now (although it is on EE...the most expensive network...)

There are refurbs on amazon...but used phones aren't your cup of tea? The EE rook is currently the only android smartphone I can find that's not straight chinesum here in the UK so erm...

It'd be PAYG seeing as I'll hardly use the "phone" aspect.It seems pretty decent. I'll definitely keep it in mind, though I am going to try and search myself for something with a larger battery. I was planning on spending £30-40 on this specific mp3 player that got 40 hours constant playback, impossible to beat, but if I could get a phone with like 20 hours music playback for £50, i'd be happy. 

It'd be PAYG seeing as I'll hardly use the "phone" aspect.It seems pretty decent. I'll definitely keep it in mind, though I am going to try and search myself for something with a larger battery. I was planning on spending £30-40 on this specific mp3 player that got 40 hours constant playback, impossible to beat, but if I could get a phone with like 20 hours music playback for £50, i'd be happy. 

20 hours is pretty tough on a phone

i havent seen a flagship phone at $700 do that

Rigs I've Built

3 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Also I'm fine with used, as long as it still works properly, the trouble with used is they've usually fucked the battery into oblivion.

Just now, 007agentHP said:

20 hours is pretty tough on a phone

i havent seen a flagship phone at $700 do that

just music playback, screen off, headphones in, that's all. My tiny £30 mp3 lasted 40.

He's an actual potato but anyway, it's dirt cheap (and you might still be able to buy that MP3 player so...plus you can usually find these phones somewhere else without having to top up)

https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/home/products/alcatel/onetouch-pixi-3-3-5.html#!colour=black&dealType=pg

And another potato but it's so cheap that you can def buy that new MP3 player as well...

https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/vodafone/smart-first-6.html#!colour=black&dealType=pg

Here's something on the top end of your budget but it's not a potato at least and you're not forced onto the most expensive network as well...

https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/samsung/galaxy-ace-4-neo.html#!colour=black&capacity=4GB&dealType=pg

There's also this...

https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/huawei/y3.html#!colour=white&capacity=4GB&dealType=pg

just music playback, screen off, headphones in, that's all. My tiny £30 mp3 lasted 40.

Yes, but your tiny MP3 player also wasn't trying to do as many things ;)

The LG K4 is only 59 pound. Though if you go up to 100 pound you get a lot better value for your money. Since you were looking to spend 50 on the phone, and 40 on the mp3 player (I think? If I got that right) then why not get something a little more expensive?

Haha, you think EE is expensive? It only costs you 15 pound a month for 2gb of data!! The data alone would cost me $65 here.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

He's an actual potato but anyway, it's dirt cheap (and you might still be able to buy that MP3 player so...plus you can usually find these phones somewhere else without having to top up)

https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/home/products/alcatel/onetouch-pixi-3-3-5.html#!colour=black&dealType=pg

And another potato but it's so cheap that you can def buy that new MP3 player as well...

https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/vodafone/smart-first-6.html#!colour=black&dealType=pg

Here's something on the top end of your budget but it's not a potato at least and you're not forced onto the most expensive network as well...

https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/samsung/galaxy-ace-4-neo.html#!colour=black&capacity=4GB&dealType=pg

There's also this...

https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/huawei/y3.html#!colour=white&capacity=4GB&dealType=pg

THose all look pretty good. I think I'll expand my budget to £50. But for that price I expect it to be able to get at least a full days worth of music playback (so like 10 hours?)

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Yes, but your tiny MP3 player also wasn't trying to do as many things ;)

The LG K4 is only 59 pound. Though if you go up to 100 pound you get a lot better value for your money. Since you were looking to spend 50 on the phone, and 40 on the mp3 player (I think? If I got that right) then why not get something a little more expensive?

Haha, you think EE is expensive? It only costs you 15 pound a month for 2gb of data!! The data alone would cost me $65 here.

I don't want to spend more than £50 TOTAL. So that'd include the price of the mp3 player. I could get both for £30 and £20, but I'd rather one device.

3 minutes ago, Harry Livesley said:

THose all look pretty good. I think I'll expand my budget to £50. But for that price I expect it to be able to get at least a full days worth of music playback (so like 10 hours?)

Well it's your call in the end of the day...if you really want a bigger battery in the phone then get something chinesum? Although their batteries are over rated therefore they last like 5 seconds before running out of charge...