AMD Stock Continues To Skyrocket After Zen Unveiling, Up 330 Percent This Year

It's me!

I think everyone should be thanking the brilliant investment forum r/wallstreetbets for making this happen. It's only because of their well thought out understanding of the subtle nuances of the investment world that AMD could receive this spike in investor interest.

Now I'ma go buy my second yacht.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

I bought back at $2.30 and sold at both $5.50 and $6.  Made a decent penny with a thousand stocks.  Wonder how AMD'll fair when the crash happens, though.

1 hour ago, Devin92 said:

It is a reliable source of info (AMD) saying that their Zen CPU is looking good, which gains the market belief to the company and hence ppl wanna invest into them. Doesnt need zen to be really launched to give market the hope. The HYPE IS REAL. 

It's a NOT reliable source (AMD). Seriously, AMD is the most guilty of the big three of hype and disappointment. The benchmarks will be proven fraudulent. I have no doubt at all.

AMD is the favorite pump & dump tech stock too. Until it gains real upward momentum as a viable tech choice in the markets, purchasing right now is incredibly dangerous. It wasn't when the price was down in the $2-3 range, but honestly it should never have passed $5. It doesn't have the market cap to sustain that price, so now you are buying above the price a bubble burst would cause the value to fall to. It's an extremely risky move.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

5 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

It's a NOT reliable source (AMD). Seriously, AMD is the most guilty of the big three of hype and disappointment. The benchmarks will be proven fraudulent. I have no doubt at all.

AMD is the favorite pump & dump tech stock too. Until it gains real upward momentum as a viable tech choice in the markets, purchasing right now is incredibly dangerous. It wasn't when the price was down in the $2-3 range, but honestly it should never have passed $5. It doesn't have the market cap to sustain that price, so now you are buying above the price a bubble burst would cause the value to fall to. It's an extremely risky move.

I got bored and pulled out of a lot of stocks recently, because I do not, at all trust this trend of going higher and higher for the market.  It's going to give-way eventually.  Pulled out, and instead taking all the money, which is quite a bit after the fucking capital gains tax.  Cannot wait for that to be abolished.  Anyway.  Buying a -nice- chunk of gold and silver to add to the vault.  And a few new pistols!  

I feel proud and sad at the same time now lol.

I feel proud because I bought some shares of AMD when it was at 1.81. So I've already more than quadrupled my money in around half a year.

I feel sad because I only bought 100 shares :(.

I kept seeing AMD rise a bit and I would think, " Still kinda risky..." And then it would go up and up and up. Then again I wasn't prepared to invest too much since if Zen flopped I would lose a ton of money.

Now seeing that Zen seems quite decent I think AMD has the potential to cross $10. I'm still on the edge about buying more though... If it goes down below $7 I'll probably buy more.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

36 minutes ago, SurvivorNVL said:

I got bored and pulled out of a lot of stocks recently, because I do not, at all trust this trend of going higher and higher for the market.  It's going to give-way eventually.  Pulled out, and instead taking all the money, which is quite a bit after the fucking capital gains tax.  Cannot wait for that to be abolished.  Anyway.  Buying a -nice- chunk of gold and silver to add to the vault.  And a few new pistols!  

Gold and silver will both decline for the next four years even with a market crash. Their value is simply disappearing because of new conductors in the electronics industry, more countries switching to paper money, jewelry sales being down, and overall just less use.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Well that's good, puts a good picture, hopefully it delivers in the end.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Wanna hear a great joke :)?

AMD stocks are 26€ cheaper than Intel.

Wanna hear a great joke?

People comparing stock prices and thinking they know wtf they are talking about.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

This increase is do to market excitement over a hype announcement. Once it hits a certain level everyone will sell off and it will drop back down to support levels around $5.20/share.

If they deliver on the hype, well then it may turn out different.

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

Here's hoping to the atmospheric re-entry of Intel CPU prices. *Raises imaginary wine glass*

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S | MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout | SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | SSD2: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Asus MX259H  | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 (Cherry MX Brown) | PSU: Corsair RMx 850W

Wish I'd had money to invest in them.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

5 hours ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Wanna hear a great joke :)?

AMD stocks are 26€ cheaper than Intel.

Individual stock prices are a terrible way of comparing companies and it doesn't give any info on the company's financial state. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

3 hours ago, Notional said:

-snip-

Know an even funnier joke?

People that cant understand a fingk joke.

Groomlake Authority

8 hours ago, ivan134 said:

You realize it was a joke right?

To be honest most of the "jokes" people regurgitate around anything AMD are about as funny as a wound scab with a dead spider stuck in it, and makes you look as imaginative as a holocaust denier

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

one time a long time ago my grandpa had 10k in a bank stock

then the stocks dropped

and dropped

and they went bankrupt

:( 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

14 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

To be honest most of the "jokes" people regurgitate around anything AMD are about as funny as a wound scab with a dead spider stuck in it, and makes you look as imaginative as a holocaust denier

.....alrighty then....

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

I just hope that when the stock crashes after the initial hype(look at nintendo and pokemon go people)it will still be (way)higher that before, and that when zen really releases they can steadely climb up in value and start to grow again for a long time and put presure on intel and nvidea in both market value and in their products

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

3 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Individual stock prices are a terrible way of comparing companies and it doesn't give any info on the company's financial state. 

Indeed, but here we can see plenty of folks either bashing or supporting this. Oh well.

8 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

I agree on the bit about stock but how are you so sure that AMD's bench is rigged?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

3 hours ago, Energycore said:

I agree on the bit about stock but how are you so sure that AMD's bench is rigged?

Because I specialize in measuring performance and designing programs to extract as much performance out of given hardware as possible. 

Further, http://www.agner.org/optimize/instruction_tables.pdf

Pay particular attention to the fact many of the SISD instructions since Core/Nehalem were sitting at 1-2 cycles, and from the perspective of bitwise algorithms, they cannot go any faster. Now, observe Haswell onward wrt AVX/2 and FMA. Now realize Blender is incredibly cache-sensitive, and Intel distinctly has the cache advantage.

I suspect one of a few possibilities:

1) AMD used an Intel platform with modified cache clock speeds

2) AMD used an Intel platform with fewer RAM channels used or with very loose timings and low clocks vs. its own.

3) AMD used an image which conveniently fit into just the L2 caches of its chip (which are twice as big as Intel's, and thus necessarily slower which you can verify by looking up the rules of cache search algorithms), meaning the results will not reflect most real-world use cases

4) AMD used a self-optimized version of blender (it is open-source, so getting a custom-spun version for the test is trivial) for its own platform but used the vanilla for Intel.

And there may be possibilities beyond this, but I know Blender's code, and there's no way in Hell this is legitimate.

This makes me happy, I am glad AMD is getting their mojo back.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

16 hours ago, ivan134 said:

You realize it was a joke right?

You just can't tell with people these days.

There were a bunch of users crying about amd having underclocked a 6900k in a test, when they clearly stated it was underclocked, and merely to show how much of an ipc gain they had on that chip. People just see "oh, amd thread!" and like to bandwagon hate on them lately it seems.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

10 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

Because I specialize in measuring performance and designing programs to extract as much performance out of given hardware as possible. 

Further, http://www.agner.org/optimize/instruction_tables.pdf

Pay particular attention to the fact many of the SISD instructions since Core/Nehalem were sitting at 1-2 cycles, and from the perspective of bitwise algorithms, they cannot go any faster. Now, observe Haswell onward wrt AVX/2 and FMA. Now realize Blender is incredibly cache-sensitive, and Intel distinctly has the cache advantage.

I suspect one of a few possibilities:

1) AMD used an Intel platform with modified cache clock speeds

2) AMD used an Intel platform with fewer RAM channels used or with very loose timings and low clocks vs. its own.

3) AMD used an image which conveniently fit into just the L2 caches of its chip (which are twice as big as Intel's, and thus necessarily slower which you can verify by looking up the rules of cache search algorithms), meaning the results will not reflect most real-world use cases

4) AMD used a self-optimized version of blender (it is open-source, so getting a custom-spun version for the test is trivial) for its own platform but used the vanilla for Intel.

And there may be possibilities beyond this, but I know Blender's code, and there's no way in Hell this is legitimate.

While it's easy for AMD to fake the test, very easy in fact as you've shown, I can't be sure that it's actually faked because if Zen turns out not to hit that "same per clock" performance it is going to backlash on them pretty hard. This is an official statement, not a leak.

I'd say it's still more likely that they did and later on tried to shield themselves by saying that that test only applies to blender and only to the version of blender they used; but wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

3 minutes ago, Energycore said:

While it's easy for AMD to fake the test, very easy in fact as you've shown, I can't be sure that it's actually faked because if Zen turns out not to hit that "same per clock" performance it is going to backlash on them pretty hard. This is an official statement, not a leak.

I would say you're right but this wouldn't be the first time they've fudged official statements, all the big tech companies seems to do it, however why they keep doing it despite it hurting their reputations eludes me.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful