How Do I Prevent Cat Fights?

byalexandr

My cat is mostly an indoor cat, but he does like to spend some time outside at times. So I let him, and most of the time he chills in our driveway on the cars or hangs out in our trees. But sometimes when it gets late, this STUPID cat comes from literally I don't know where, and starts to fight with my cat. I don't even know who owns it and where this dumb ass cat comes from just to mess with my cat. I'm about to call my cat in for the night, and then all of a sudden I hear insane hissing and growling, and see that stupid white cat running off when he notices I show up.

I really would like to show that cat what a 12 gauge can do but I live in a residential area so I could get into trouble not only for killing that cat but for shooting a gun in a residential area.

But I can't think of anything else to do besides lock my cat inside all the time which is near impossible as he likes to sneak out the door when family members are coming in and out. He literally doesn't even go far, just takes naps in our driveway because the pavement is warm.

Any ideas?

I live in Texas so don't start complaining about guns and stuff. Please, just don't start that stupid train.

Not the kind of catfight I thought this was going to be 

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Just now, Centurius said:

Not the kind of catfight I thought this was going to be 

No I mean with actual cats. Like my chill cat and this stupid other cat that doesn't even live near here.

Dress your cat up as a dog?

You could also buy cat repellent and set up a perimeter round your house. Obviously large enough to let your chill cat roam his land and to fuck the other annoying bastard off.

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

1 minute ago, RuffRuffmcgruff said:

Dress your cat up as a dog?

You could also buy cat repellent and set up a perimeter round your house. Obviously large enough to let your chill cat roam his land and to fuck the other annoying bastard off.

Does it hurt the cats or anything? I don't my cat to get annoyed by it, just the other bastard.

From my experience with my cats, short of locking them indoors, there's not much you can do. If they want to fight, they'll fight.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Don't you live in 'murica?

I think the solution is pretty obvious.

pew pew

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

It's like a spray, I think they use fox piss or something like that just so that the cat is like OH FUCK THIS IS A FOXES TERRITORY. Thinking about it now it might mess with your cat's "safe place" which is it's territory. Do you notice a pattern in terms of the time this other cat shows up? If there is you could time it so that you run out round about the time it turns up.

Basically negative reinforcement make it associate your house with fear etc. Make it so that the other cat doesn't want to come back and fuck with your bro. 

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

5 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

From my experience with my cats, short of locking them indoors, there's not much you can do. If they want to fight, they'll fight.

That sucks, I hate hearing them fight. As far as I can tell the other cat doesn't hurt mine, but it's not cool that it just wanders over here all the time just to fuck with my cat.

4 minutes ago, Litargirio said:

I think the answer is pretty obvious.

pew pew

Long arm of the law says I can't fire my 12 gauge in suburbia.

Edit: Even if it is in Texas.

Just now, byalexandr said:

7TBPhaF.jpg

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

3 minutes ago, Litargirio said:

7TBPhaF.jpg

We can use them obviously. It's just kind of bad when you have little kids next door and a mini van with those family stickers parked in almost every driveway.

Theres not a ton you CAN do. Other neighbors cats have just as much the right to be out and about as your own, and cats are going to fight with each other regardless of what you do. 

Your only real option is to line on of your yards with cat fencing so he can't get out, and other cats can't get in, that way he has a place to chill outside where he can't be bothered. Only downside is the stuff is a pain to install, and doesn't exactly look that great.

Some of the county residences out where I am use the stuff to keep their cats from getting out of the yard, and coyotes from getting in, as those bastards are a serious problem here. We've lost 4 cats in the last 15 years to em.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

13 minutes ago, Atmos said:

Theres not a ton you CAN do. Other neighbors cats have just as much the right to be out and about as your own, and cats are going to fight with each other regardless of what you do. 

Your only real option is to line on of your yards with cat fencing so he can't get out, and other cats can't get in, that way he has a place to chill outside where he can't be bothered. Only downside is the stuff is a pain to install, and doesn't exactly look that great.

Some of the county residences out where I am use the stuff to keep their cats from getting out of the yard, and coyotes from getting in, as those bastards are a serious problem here. We've lost 4 cats in the last 15 years to em.

Yeah I can't put up that fencing here (stupid ass HOA). Even then my cat is perfectly capable of jumping up a 7 foot tall wooden fence or running up a tree so I don't think it'll help much anyhow.

15 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Yeah I can't put up that fencing here (stupid ass HOA). Even then my cat is perfectly capable of jumping up a 7 foot tall wooden fence or running up a tree so I don't think it'll help much anyhow.

Well, the fencing itself is just loose at the top and falls inwards, or at a 90 degree angle inwards to stop them from being able to climb over. However trees would totally make that pointless. As for HOA... God damned I hate those groups so much.

Where I live its against code to wash your car in your drive, park any sort of trailer in a front drive way, and all houses must have watered grass (Even if you have a drought friendly yard, they'll go after you.) F*ck those guys, seriously.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

3 hours ago, byalexandr said:

That sucks, I hate hearing them fight. As far as I can tell the other cat doesn't hurt mine, but it's not cool that it just wanders over here all the time just to fuck with my cat.

Edit: Even if it is in Texas.

There's only so much you can do, as stated already.

Cats will naturally fight. If it's a stranger, they'll fight over territory. If it's a friend, they'll fight for fun and to keep their instincts honed.

My cats are both strictly indoor cats, because if you let a cat outside and it gets into a fight, the chances of infection and disease are SIGNIFICANTLY higher. Also, the average life expectancy of a house cat is a lot longer than a cat you let outside.

You could keep a spray bottle outside and shoot water at the neighbour cat when it shows up. But you'd have to physically be outside when he comes around.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Your cat need to man the fuck up and defend his turf. Cats are highly territorial, at least most of them are, and their idea of their turf rarely respects the boundaries of their hairless monkey servants. You could try spraying the invading cat with water every time it is on your property, regardless of if your cat is out or not,  so it will begin to associate your property with getting sprayed, but this is far from guaranteed.  

Put them to good use :

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

In my experience is an excercise in futility. Cats are just cats and they constantly fight each other.

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 hours ago, Litargirio said:

I think the solution is pretty obvious.

pew pew

He just said that's not an option in his post.

"LTT's official.."STOP. I promise you aren't LTT's official bagel eater or whatever. Trust me. 

5 minutes ago, dalomo said:

He just said that's not an option in his post.

He didn't, he edited it in after I posted that.

Well I guess I'll just let them fight. But if I see that other fucker even wandering close to my house, I'm getting out the fucking hose and drenching that fucker.

What your cat is doing is defending it's territory from any feline intruders, and the other cat is doing the exact same thing as it considers the route it prowls as it's territory.

The only way to settle this is to let your cat tell this trespasser that it can't come there again, or he actually accepts the other cat passing through (both of those would take a long time to come to a conclusion).

3 minutes ago, demonix00 said:

What your cat is doing is defending it's territory from any feline intruders, and the other cat is doing the exact same thing as it considers the route it prowls as it's territory.

The only way to settle this is to let your cat tell this trespasser that it can't come there again, or he actually accepts the other cat passing through (both of those would take a long time to come to a conclusion).

Well I'll let them work it out then. I just hope my cat doesn't get hurt. But like I said if that fucker comes around the corner I'm hosing his dumb ass.