WING X99 | A CNC-milled Scratch Build! (Benchmarks, temps and wallpapers posted!)

I'm drooling... in the middle of class...

Why does all cool things come from Sweden?

Screw Norway, I'm moving...

20 hours ago, H3LLSMAN said:

I would want a CNC machined Tower 900, this is an insane amount of work though awesome. 

Those are some nice cases :)

19 hours ago, Qwweb said:

How heavy will the whole case be? That is a lot of aluminum.

Also what alloy are you using? (6061, or 7071, or other?)

Heaaaavyyyy :)

I am using EN5754 H111.

18 hours ago, Str8f4c3 said:

Ohhh the hype level just got kicked up! xDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxD

Wooopwoooop! :D

9 hours ago, KrMaH said:

I'm drooling... in the middle of class...

Why does all cool things come from Sweden?

Screw Norway, I'm moving...

Go back to school! Focus! :D

People are always welcome here in Sweden!

5 hours ago, Brodholm said:

I am using EN5754 H111.

I could just imagine one made with your skills, though change it a little too add in some etched logos of the products used or something. 

Thermatake Tower 900 Build
Intel® Core™ i7-7700K @5.3GHz -2AVX / ROG MAXIMUS IX APEX + EK-FB ASUS M9A Monoblock 
ROG-POSEIDON-GTX1080TI 11Gb @2114MHz/5780Mhz / DIMM.2 970 EVO 2TB NVMe PCIe M.2 x2 RAID 0
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P2 80+ PLATINUM / Hisense 65" H9 Plus 4k HDR

18 hours ago, Brodholm said:

I am using EN5754 H111.

But... but... but... I'm doing structural engineering... Doesnt look nearly as fun as mechanical engineering! Wish I knew enough about mechanics to create CNC mills... :/
That said, I actually rather enjoy structural, I find buildings fascinating!
And I know, swedes are a lot more welcoming than norwegians. I like sweden, especially swedish metal! besides, liseberg is good fun, and your tobacco and alcohol is dirt cheap!
billboard.jpg
sorry for slightly hijacking your build log, but I find this volvo commercial amusing, and I love volvo xD

ufpeQtKh.jpg
qXMc2DRh.jpg
This is the PCIe holder that is going to screw down into all the PCIe slots.

zc6B6sUh.jpg
Holes done.

kzYRFGwh.jpg
Well... This is what happens when you set your Z-zero at table height when you wanted it at the top of the part. Well this was a fun way to kill a 85$ chamfer mill and a pair of underwear.

EJErJc3h.jpg
The mayhem...

Y71jbAdh.jpg
A slightly bigger hole than I intended...

Video of the Crash

ZhkRlwxh.jpg

KZwvLPQh.jpg
Start button holder. These will be magnetically loaded instead of spring loaded. By mounting the magnets with the polarities opposite each.

47cSxI6h.jpg
2ySfKXph.jpg
Here you can see where the magnets will be placed.

Pivi1UJh.jpg
A 60 degree chamfer/engrave mill. My spindle is a bit slow (18 0000 RPM) so I need to go quite slow.

QF7SXoXh.jpg
3SaUgdFh.jpg
A quick pass. Some "edges" in the cut, should have gone a bit slower. But this will be cleaned up when I sand the surface.

Gw5hiM1h.jpg
LED and PWR done!

9GENcWth.jpg
Doing the "line" in top of the case.

OBe5eGsh.jpg
And also doing the bottom part of the line. It is just a 1mm thick aluminium strip

fAH7QUGh.jpg
All done!

ooCKvBoh.jpg
All set for doing some engraving

k2bK0rdh.jpg
ORMGKeSh.png
This is the G-code for the engraving.

WZZu7kUh.jpg
Really nice results! (do you spot the dot above the text? Yeah, that was deap, like 1mm deep. So I ended up redoing this again...)

v7YdKsOh.jpg
X99 text done!

Ust0P3gh.jpg
Cutting the rubber foot for the case. Just printed the shape and taped it to a piece of neoprene rubber.

tBqWejQh.jpg
Tz7qHmOh.jpg
Then I just cut it with a knife.

1YkN9F0h.jpg
Turned out really good. Patience and slow is the way to go :)

3AGfcUTh.jpg
Cover for the IO-cables and 4-pin power for the motherboard.

T9sCXyxh.jpg
Looks even better in reality than in CAD.

1eNOvjIh.jpg
Here you have the channels.

4fJUaQuh.jpg
Cover plate for the motherboard plate.

9o83jkrh.jpg
Extruded areas for the magnets.

zHFlU1Uh.jpg
x31VTDph.jpg
wnW5AS7h.jpg
All the chips from the case milling and milling some parts for the CNC. I would say more than half is from the case. Quite a lot...

P87qdsrh.jpg
What was here? :)

XLWK9syh.jpg
A acrylic cable window! (the protective plastic is still on here, its just regular clear acrylic, PMMA)

hBZetx1h.jpg
Took A LOT of work to get a balanced design. I must say though that I am REALLY happy with the result. One of the best looking features if I am to be the judge. Was trying to get a sort of "tree" look to go with the wing theme.

QbvuTrZh.jpg
YDJzC7rh.jpg
Soooooo soo pleased right now! And also a huge relief. All the aluminium case parts is now done. I have basically worked 12-16 hour days since mid October til now. And to see everything pan out is so very satisfying but there is still much to do. Next up is the acrylic case parts.

Time for another update! The chassis itself is done apart from sanding/blasting and anodizing!!!

pDnxtSIh.jpg
9pdjHLSh.jpg
First up, 10mm plexiglass for the illuminated foot.

pXS6ctGh.jpg
Used coolant here, later discovered that it did not matter and only made a mess.

nJPE2nth.jpg
This needs to be chamfered.

TQ5zZWTh.jpg
ARbfQXsh.jpg
618j96Uh.jpg
DgLHVbVh.jpg
Here you can see the basic idea. A LED-strip will be placed in the clearance slot.

g4TBkIqh.jpg
Really pleased! Hope this will give the illusion case is "floating".

3dU8aSBh.jpg
7W5gdN0h.jpg
tIMTigth.jpg
Test piece for the light box. Everything looked fine so I proceeded with the real piece.

leDcoxJh.jpg
AqhmdSnh.jpg
The loc-line gets quite cold. You can see frozen condensation around the line

CF0kmVPh.jpg
ZWt0c2fh.jpg
SlPLcLnh.jpg
shKaitxh.jpg
Here it is, working away. Unfortunately did not take a picture when it was done. But it looks just like the test piece

nP73oCeh.jpg
Using a special cooling unit that cools the air up to -delta 50 degrees Celsius. That means the air coming out of nozzle is ~20-50 = -30 degrees Celsius. This keeps the more dimensionally stable and produces better cuts.

Z61VzvPh.jpg
Side panels was made out of 6mm acrylic.

oPXweMsh.jpg
GPHZMhBh.jpg
GSxFDmyh.jpg
Top window is also 6mm acrylic.

retixwfh.jpg
8A9R9H9h.jpg
Iw1hLRih.jpg
ImXpd2Nh.jpg
vIRWYRth.jpg
wUEcmUEh.jpg 
All acrylic pieces that goes into the case is now done! The white light diffusing mid plate and logo in front was also done, but I do not have pictures of them unfortunately. But, apart from surface treatment on the aluminium, the case is basically done, machining vise.

Video update until the most recent post! Milling some plastic in this one!

This one is a bit late due to copyright claim. The original artist releases tracks that is free to use if you credit him. Another guy who used his track, and "rapped" over it released some kind of CD or something with that track. And that "dude" has now claimed my video for monitization for a track that was free to use in youtube videos, released a CD. You can even hear the original artist sound "watermark" where he says his name etc in the track. So I have now refuted that claim and waiting for a reply...

New update, glamour shots!

f11Spo3h.jpg
xMGW9tFh.jpgAsus Rampage V 10th edition!
hrDXtnch.jpg
AbVtoJTh.jpg
9MZQv83h.jpg
Q4y9dsih.jpg
g3wDO3Ah.jpg
u0s6pqch.jpg
M2Boclch.jpgA 10-core Intel Core i7-6950X extreme!
nbqyrhyh.jpgBy far the most expensive and powerful processor I have ever had my hands on.
jwVBtofh.jpg
P75sm8dh.jpgWhat is better than one Asus GTX 1080 strix?
vqUXaAVh.jpgWell that would be two, right :]
9eSdXgXh.jpg
xgleYyrh.jpg
YB8H4nIh.jpg32GB of Corsair LPX ram!
IObwp29h.jpgCorsair 140 ML Pro fans!
E7D20aUh.jpg
URWxMDwh.jpgTwo Intel 800GB PCIe 750 series SSDs!
z1gSofxh.jpg
Oofuf5Ch.jpg
1iKO3gAh.jpgOne sexy 1200W power supply.
rfMMOsYh.jpg
TgYV32ph.jpg
rQWGRduh.jpgAnd last but not least a HUGE amount of water cooling gear from EKWB. Including motherboard monoblock, gpu block, backplates, ssd block, pump and tops, radiators, ram block, fittings, dye and much more.
0wjaIE0h.jpg
pUoFD8jh.jpg
G5w8y3bh.jpg

qVuK0aYh.jpg
ZTahNLPh.jpg
Two pump tops with different mounting holes.
2ipzqHfh.jpg
9cmKNIXh.jpg
tZ0ob1ch.jpg
These will become the back side of the pump tops.
F1VxY72h.jpg
Gewx8rkh.jpg
Just got to clean that up a bit!
z7LLOBLh.jpg
Much better!
T4dc73Nh.jpg
And the back of that same piece.
MyJG6yyh.jpg
Doing the pump covers from dia 70mm extruded aluminium pipes.
onkTvgph.jpg
lLWmxCVh.jpg
Modified the Shock Absorber that comes with the EK pump kit to fit my covers!
T5UQfL8h.jpg
Perfect! I believe that I will have to cut out a "line" though since the diameter of mine are a bit smaller. Still a success I think :D

While I am at it, might as well post the next update! :D

Hqk4gDQh.jpg
Mm7GGYuh.jpgFirst off, changing the threads on both radiators. These are 6-32 and I am going to use M4.
yt8FlQeh.jpgGet the right size drill!
J3XhBoDh.jpgThis is a really nice function to have on your drill press. You can set a maximum depth. This is very useful while drilling radiators since you will not puncture it by drilling to far.
VQkHu2ih.jpgTapitapptapp! Remember, not to far!
o355t1Ah.jpgMuuuuuch better!
YRjMOT0h.jpgQuickly making a board for the button assembly and the illuminated front logo!
wd4PyjWh.jpgManually jogged the end mill and taped the board to the aluminium sheet.
BVlUqVfh.jpgSeparating one piece the circuit from the other.
jkuRGQxh.jpgMade this photo booth that I can fold down and is basically as big as the bottom piece.
spnKCpeh.jpgI can fit my soft boxes and this also works as work light.
Du5HZjlh.jpgGets really nice and bright when I work, and I can angle these to change the lights either for work or when taking photos.
hNhhGjXh.jpgSince this is not compatible with the EK-monoblock and I really like the cover I thought that I could do some slight modding.
uIIUL74h.jpgCut it here, and drained the fluid inside.
4d9nKuih.jpgSealing it up with some super glue.
PRgGDvFh.jpgAll done, just need to rest for a while and a few dots of black marker from a pen.
tKZAWv5h.jpgChanged the RAM heat sink so I can fit the monarch ram block. This is a PITA since the original heat sinks are glued/taped to the ram. And they do not come of easy, even with a heat gun...
0nJ5fHTh.jpgThey sure look nice though!
67WY2l1h.jpgRam-block mounted!
kCfMVXUh.jpgFull cover mono-block and gpu-blocks also mounted!
xQCczUhh.jpgLooking real nice!
jnxqV51h.jpgHere you can see the mod that allowed the cover to stay in place!
hwieSNth.jpgLooks very good in my opinion.
DEyYWK8h.jpgStrix GPU-block and backplates mounted.
rW56GdRh.jpgThese sure are good looking!
HQVCl3fh.jpg
tHS2Czuh.jpgWater cooled SSDs!
YBYSb0Yh.jpg
dF86zZah.jpgWheeww, a huge relief that being done with that. Just tested the system and it posts, and detects all the RAM, GPUs etc! Puhhh! :)

Looking very good my friend, the mirrored finish is so nice. At one point I actually got confused because the mirror finish is so good on the GPU backplate it looked like you had a dual slot motherboard, lol... I had to look closely to see it was a reflection :D

I am assuming you were sponsored by several companies, not least intel? as the CPU says intel confidential that are usually review/samples. Nice that you got a 6950x extreme anyway, wish I had one, lol.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

On 2017-02-14 at 5:28 PM, paddy-stone said:

Looking very good my friend, the mirrored finish is so nice. At one point I actually got confused because the mirror finish is so good on the GPU backplate it looked like you had a dual slot motherboard, lol... I had to look closely to see it was a reflection :D

I am assuming you were sponsored by several companies, not least intel? as the CPU says intel confidential that are usually review/samples. Nice that you got a 6950x extreme anyway, wish I had one, lol.

One does not simply buy a 6950X while going to University at the same time :D And I have put all my money into the case ^^ Sponsors is a bless here. Could never do this without them, and that is a fact.

18 hours ago, Brodholm said:

One does not simply buy a 6950X while going to University at the same time :D And I have put all my money into the case ^^ Sponsors is a bless here. Could never do this without them, and that is a fact.

Absoloutely, I was just asking for clarification as I couldn't remember seeing that your components were sponsored by companies... I haven't seen the first post since you made the thread though, so maybe you have the information there.

You do excellent work, and at such a young age too. It is a testament to your commitment to put so much money and love into a project such as this. I hope you have many years usage of the PC you are making, but at the same time I want you to start another soon, lol :D

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

2oaoz7Th.jpg
DMPYeNNh.jpgThis is all the equipment I used for the sanding the surface of the aluminium.
dRCendgh.jpgI can not stress this enough, PLEASE use a mask and safety glasses when you are sanding aluminium or other materials. Aluminium dust is very bad for your lungs!!!
Ybkd1IFh.jpgI am using this pneumatic tool with a scotch brite to remove the old oxidation due to the bad storage of the aluminium pieces. I then finished them with the bigger pneumatic rotary tool going from 240 grit to 400 grit sand paper before blasting.
AV2zNSfh.jpgA nicely packed box containing one Wing X99 case (not including plexi-glass). This just need to be sanded, blasted and repacked.
cWbFGB0h.jpgUsing my old test piece to tweak my values on the blasting etc.
KVa8b3Sh.jpgI was not super thorough since I am not using this piece.
kVm4siah.jpg
J6MUJr5h.jpgBut damn, the surface is really nice. Much better than the Model 01 build. That was blasted at to high pressure and with to coarse glass beads "GL6" (149-250µm). This time I used glass beads blasted at 2.2 bar with beads sized at "GL3" (53-105µm) instead.
V3HuSuih.jpgTotal amount of sand papers I went through for all the pieces. The issue is that the aluminium gets a bit stuck in the sand paper and it gets very smooth and you basically stop sanding after a while. Not that big of an issue though.
mRyt3DVh.jpgHad to renovate this blaster booth. As you can see it was blue before. Tore it all down, repaired the leather sleeves, changed gloves, changed the windows. Repaired holes in the the sheet metal all around, fixed the lightning, changed all the air valves, rubber gaskets, changed the "floor", installed a rubber mat, changed all the hoses and much more. Basically tore this all down and fixed it. It was several days of work and a lot of new components needed to be purchased. Then I Finally sanded it down and painted it beige/whiteish. If you look in the Model 01 build you can see me using the same booth but without the renovating. It was badly needed back then, and now I really did not have a choice.
yTjrF7rh.jpg
tekrTgLh.jpgThis is the super old super heavy duty gun that earlier was used for big steel bead blasting. Those were huuuuuge, like 1mm diameter beads. Really had to make sure to remove ALL of those beads since you really do not want one of those coming through the nozzle once in a while. Well, everything looked really good when it was done and I am driving the parts to the anodizing firm instead of shipping it. I do NOT trust shipping companies to be careful enough with it. It is 40 miles away from the workshop, so it is about a 4-5 hour drive there. I will also go and pick it up directly from them to assure myself that I have done everything in my power to minimize mistakes. The Anodizing firm said it could take up to 2 weeks for the parts to get done, but since I am behind on editing hopefully it will not be that long before I get them back and can put up another update!

9 hours ago, Brodholm said:

2oaoz7Th.jpgThis is the super old super heavy duty gun that earlier was used for big steel bead blasting. Those were huuuuuge, like 1mm diameter beads. Really had to make sure to remove ALL of those beads since you really do not want one of those coming through the nozzle once in a while. Well, everything looked really good when it was done and I am driving the parts to the anodizing firm instead of shipping it. I do NOT trust shipping companies to be careful enough with it. It is 40 miles away from the workshop, so it is about a 4-5 hour drive there. I will also go and pick it up directly from them to assure myself that I have done everything in my power to minimize mistakes. The Anodizing firm said it could take up to 2 weeks for the parts to get done, but since I am behind on editing hopefully it will not be that long before I get them back and can put up another update!

4-5 Hours, just to go 40 miles?  that's 8-10Mph... you running there, or have a really shitty car?

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

3 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

4-5 Hours, just to go 40 miles?  that's 8-10Mph... you running there, or have a really shitty car?

40 Metric miles is about 250 of "your" miles :D 

I will just leave this here :) 

Edit: Well this is embarrassing, turns out a "Scandinavian mile" is what I am refereing to, that is 10km... Did not know there was "another" metric mile. :$