WING X99 | A CNC-milled Scratch Build! (Benchmarks, temps and wallpapers posted!)

this is hands down the most amazing computer build I've ever seen, and definitely the the most awesome thing I've ever seen!
dude, this is pure beauty! wish I had the skills to build my own CNC machine ( guess I would've had I taken mechanical instead of structural engineering, but oh well).
Im in awe, Im speechless...
words cant describe it...
watch out so that I dont slip across the border and... uhm... steal your pc... 9_9

On 2016-11-12 at 1:28 PM, Hasle said:

Looks very clean! Can't wait to see it all come together, and especially looking forward to when you'll be CNC'ing the acrylic blocks for the water cooling.

Me too! Milling plastics is very satisfying and also a bit frustrating :D

On 2016-11-12 at 7:46 PM, KrMaH said:

this is hands down the most amazing computer build I've ever seen, and definitely the the most awesome thing I've ever seen!
dude, this is pure beauty! wish I had the skills to build my own CNC machine ( guess I would've had I taken mechanical instead of structural engineering, but oh well).
Im in awe, Im speechless...
words cant describe it...
watch out so that I dont slip across the border and... uhm... steal your pc... 9_9

You can try! Assemble fellow Swedes! :D 

tTy9mJ2.jpg 

On 2016-11-15 at 0:03 AM, BeardRex said:

You have my attention!

5380822+_ec626564f16f6179db45df206e161fc

Toolbendythingupdate!

rsBOLHPh.jpg

sDjBAhzh.jpg
A simple radius bock, simple right? Wrong, this was much more complicated than I would originally have thought. I was first thinking of going with the original V-die and a upper tool to make this. But I soon realized that this would most likely cause marks on the aluminium. So I had to design a special bending machine and then build it. We also don't have a round upper die for a bending machine.

7S1fv49h.jpg
The base of the bender. No cylinder installed here.

8Any9RWh.jpg
Scale for positioning the piece on the correct distance from where the bend starts. Also an "edge" that that is perpendicular to the cylinder to insure that the bend is straight.

zBOxeQph.jpg
Changed my mind last second and decided to screw the bending machine in the CNC-router table instead of using clamps. Also added some neoprene rubber to not leave marks in the very soft  EN1050 (~99% pure) aluminium spill board.

CboIVDDh.jpg
Base stationary cylinder that decides the inner radius. Made this interchangeable so I can make several size bends. Made custom washers for the M16 bolts that holds it secure.

IugZF7lh.jpg
A simple holder that screws down in the tool with a rubber surface to hold the aluminium piece in place while bending.

kJvhTd7h.jpg
This is a cylinder with ball bearings that can roll so the thing actually spins instead of slide on the surface of the aluminium. This insures that bending process leaves no marks on the aluminium.

SQaQqUkh.jpg
Mounted the leaver and set the correct height and aligned up everything.

2U6wObwh.jpg
Stop screws insures that no sliding occurs when the aluminium tries to push the roll up when you bend it.

SUy9Hbeh.jpg
Same procedure on the bottom stationary cylinder. Really do not want them to move during the bend. That would ruin the piece and you would have to start again.

HYhxGdOh.jpg
Clamp that uses two M10 bolts and some rubber to not damage the pieces.

hRcZ4g9h.jpg
Here it is from the other angle.

mvJKCIzh.jpg
Here you can see the bend when fastened down with the clamp. Put it in the middle and used piece and put that against the guide. The mark on the top side of the radius I made with upper roll when I forced it the wrong way to test how much beating it could take :D

JsaBFpdh.jpg
Quite easy to bend. The front piece will be about 2.5 times wider than this piece so it will require some more force. But It should be okay since this thing is fairly sturdy.

MXOzIPXh.jpg
Here you can see the piece bends back after the bend is made. So with this 64mm diameter roll produced a slightly bigger inner radius than 32mm that I want. So I have to take of a millimeter or so to get the desired radius.

b62WGbVh.jpg
Very pleased with the result, no marks from the actual bend. Since this piece have been in the scrap bin it have gotten some bad treatment. Did some light brushing to see if that would be ruined after the bend. But it seems to have managed fairly well. Only needing some slight touch up!

1PFx0BDh.jpg
This machine took about a week (>40 hours) to design, produce, test out and work out the kinks. "Just" for some damn round corners! High radius front bends sure is a PITA, but it was well worth it in the end!

On 18/11/2016 at 5:21 PM, Brodholm said:

Me too! Milling plastics is very satisfying and also a bit frustrating :D

You can try! Assemble fellow Swedes! :D 

tTy9mJ2.jpg 

5380822+_ec626564f16f6179db45df206e161fc

Pfft silly swedes. You're passives, and the Danes defend your airspace with our jets.

zOKErBJ.jpg

Anyways, looks really nice. Can't wait to see the end result.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

18 hours ago, Notional said:

Pfft silly swedes. You're passives, and the Danes defend your airspace with our jets.

Anyways, looks really nice. Can't wait to see the end result.

hahahaa :D To anyone not familiar its is sort of a custom here in Scandinavia to trash your neighboring countries. All in god fun of course :)  

OT: I have been busy with work also! Will post an update in the coming few days. I am cutting the backside of the case.

• 3 weeks later...

Next update! I am a bit behind on editing, but I am working to get them out. Due to the nature of the CNC the process it is pretty much the same all the time. So I will not describe the process each time for each part. I catched myself writing the same things over and over :D

If you have any questions feel free to ask :)

This update I am making the back frame of the case!

kLvtq1qh.jpg
HrW7Yarh.jpg
J0YqNK5h.jpg
SGKhCfMh.jpg
A9R5BTBh.jpg
176G9djh.jpg
BbyCz3vh.jpg
FX4FpQHh.jpg
zHnLy6ih.jpg
ETas0HLh.jpg
DmjP7TSh.jpg
8lOApEkh.jpg
y6boDtTh.jpg
yhKXW2ih.jpg
anzb3EYh.jpg
AMYBEv7h.jpg
WJLjblnh.jpg
CE8j46gh.jpg
eJj70zuh.jpg
QQ3o0Vvh.jpg
XxGS5oYh.jpg
7rUP0Jqh.jpg
5gXeJODh.jpg
c5eMQvOh.jpg
wKkNbHVh.jpg

21 hours ago, nofxz said:

Nice bender

Not much, It's just a "fender bender" huehuehueheu :D

Okay, I am sorry, that was very bad, even with my very low standards...

Left inner frame of the case. Each part is so much work. Slowly but surely I am getting there. Had a bit of a mishap with this though, but redoing it will be easier.
jAIaYMWh.jpg
gcxqL0Kh.jpg
cr74tofh.jpg
JCvOV2nh.jpg
l7iFXnSh.jpg
9OVyqyNh.jpg
y9pcbnfh.jpg
EJX1xlFh.jpg
IfFBeOfh.jpg
jtgFMGph.jpg
MAAt9uch.jpg
v2hsTa7h.jpg
UbSOQMYh.jpg
F5lElxfh.jpg
jCNyzRVh.jpg
WIer4sPh.jpg
vkqVZXfh.jpg
1pR0W5Ch.jpg
4ZYDMq4h.jpg
A21mXYCh.jpg
zRVdBfGh.jpg
janLXWUh.jpg
ssINFJEh.jpg
yWUkBxGh.jpg
Dz6KGSdh.jpg
3p3NPA0h.jpg
Mj5WphWh.jpg
exTi3imh.jpg
NJsFvDVh.jpg
cUSizvAh.jpg
FpD0xsdh.jpg

Last thing that happened is that it started to chatter. Did not design this very good. It is very difficult to clamp this down. Will have to redo this part... This mistake costs about 4-5h of work wasted. Not very fun nor motivating but I do not have much of a choice.

Try doing multi steps down arround the outside profile. It looks like you were trying to take it in one with your web thickness vs height. I would say atleast 4 steps if not 6.

7 hours ago, nofxz said:

Try doing multi steps down arround the outside profile. It looks like you were trying to take it in one with your web thickness vs height. I would say atleast 4 steps if not 6.

Yep, I am doing multiple depths. I am taking about 2mm each time. The issue was on the final pass (10mm ap, 0.2mm ae) it started to chatter. I just need to clamp that part down or just add another ridge that I can clamp down. Or just don't do the finishing pass. I do not seem to get "waterlines" either way so doing the finishing pass is a bit of unnecessary. It does clean up the finish a bit, but sometimes things like this happens... 

width of that rib is like 5mm, so your like double in the ap. you can do multi step down finish passes. 

I've said this like a million times, but I LOVE watching this come together!

On 2016-12-18 at 2:00 AM, KrMaH said:

Why is there so many cool things that comes from Sweden?...

Its so cold here so people get bored :D 

On 2016-12-18 at 3:21 AM, Str8f4c3 said:

I've said this like a million times, but I LOVE watching this come together!

:x

amazing! :)

hrLOWuQh.jpg
The time has come to do probably the part I was most worried about, the front of the case.

NYsbORch.jpg
Test piece

RZ3irz9h.jpg
Clamped down

6njrTuhh.jpg
fqDDbi6h.jpg
Same width as the real piece. Needed a large amount of force on this. Had to get help, I was to light weight so I lifted myself...

By3FCbGh.jpg
Really pleased with the results on the test piece.

E7Q3yK2h.jpg
EXqQc8Ch.jpg
rhV8vANh.jpg
Making the actual sized part

6yRZ2e4h.jpg
RSjFSoth.jpg
NAeF9joh.jpg
NcFEuBth.jpg
q3miWF1h.jpg
Made two while I was at it.

qkHu0dVh.jpg
Same length piece bended to insure that the length between the bends was correct. It was of about 0.3mm or 0.012 inches for you metric fellas! Very pleased with the results and I will not be able to get it much better than that

JNZSsbMh.jpg
XHK4BG5h.jpg
Final piece bent and done! Did not take any photos during this since we had to be two people checking and bending at the same time. Did not want to ruin the piece just to get some pictures. Same procedure as before, just with the correct sized piece.

eboT4G2h.jpg
Really good bends, very close to 90 deg if not perfect.

j109tith.jpg
n7tOpRxh.jpg
Ended up about 0.2mm of the real measurement. So I am very happy with that. I decided before that 0.5mm would be good, around 1mm would be okay and 1.5mm and I would redo it. This measurement does not matter that much since the plexiglass sides could be made slightly of angle and you never notice a 1mm change in height over half a meter.

AB2mCjAh.jpg
FsTHKqmh.jpg
The front now needs to be machined to fit. First up is some covers though!

21 hours ago, Brodholm said:

hrLOWuQh.jpg
The front now needs to be machined to fit. First up is some covers though!

Well, all I can say is very well done again, and it's nice to see such a thing take shape. Very excited to see the final results, and TBH it's great just seeing the updates and how work is progressing even :)

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Thanks, cant wait either! More progress pictures!

Km73LCEh.jpg
Making these covers to hide screws and unwanted things. They will fit stay put with magnets if everything works out.

Dzsgkv8h.jpg
fActOZQh.jpg
HCvhOfJh.jpg
BREeWEjh.jpg
zrRsekKh.jpg
Q0LRFz2h.jpg
yoy40qsh.jpg
Here you can see the spring when milling down to 3mm from 8mm. Should really get some 3mm sheets. Had to bend it for a good 20 mins to get it straight.

7VFNqelh.jpg
IEWExa0h.jpg
OMppqoQh.jpg
omjXPyfh.jpg
PWqLydPh.jpg
A very snug fit. Really pleased!

EH1NYS2h.jpg
Milling the top cover here.

XO4bozsh.jpg
Same procedure as always, rinse and repeat!

PaDX5Efh.jpg
pBXZik9h.jpg
xZtb0Sxh.jpg
ZRMEd9Qh.jpg
s6gJ4q7h.jpg
z688Hswh.jpg
cZQwvEsh.jpg
fC1FJAQh.jpg
Done! The "final picture" of the top was very out of focus. Turned out great and fits nicely over the top part. Also had to do some manual forming of this since it also had some springback from inner tension in the material (I am guessing that's it)

On 8/31/2016 at 1:17 AM, nmil said:

I only have an X-Carve.

Jealousy levels over 9000!!!

I only have a hand saw and a dremel!

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

On 12/19/2016 at 2:14 PM, Brodholm said:

Its so cold here so people get bored :D 

:x

It's pretty cold here in Norway as well... and all we ever do is burn churches and complain about oil...