With the release of the Note 7, which case is best for protecting a phone that cost the same as a 5960x?

EternalSeeker

Hey guys,

So I am getting the note 7 thanks to the windtab in Canada cutting the cost upfront down by alot. I am just wondering what sort of case i should get with it? I want a case that looks good but is protective?? Also screen protectors, which one?

Specs: Case: NZXT H440 ] CPU: I7-5960x | CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 AIO | MOBO: ASUS Rampage V  | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970  | RAM: Gskill Ripjaw 4 16GB 2133Mhz DDR4 kit | PSU: EVGA 1000G2 | SSD (Boot): Samsung 850pro 128GB | HDD (mass storage): WD 1TB Blue 7200RPM  | SDD (Working Drve): Samsung 850 evo 500GB | Keyboard: Logitech G510s | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core | Display: Asus VG248 24in. 144Hz 1ms 

dont go with wind

wind has shitty speed, service and its rates are terrible from subruban toronto and Niagara falls. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I'd honestly just buy a 5960X instead if I had to absolutely spend that much money on something...

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

33 minutes ago, themctipers said:

dont go with wind

wind has shitty speed, service and its rates are terrible from subruban toronto and Niagara falls. 

Well shiiet, i have been with wind for 3 years already. I live in the GTA, no issue with service, i got the old wind 50 plan with unlimited everything (data up to 10GB untill slow down) and i have international calling and roaming with 10 dollar service credit every month. I pay 40 bucks since i got my dad and sister in the plan. No issues here. Better than the other phone plans i had. 

25 minutes ago, DXMember said:

I'd honestly just buy a 5960X instead if I had to absolutely spend that much money on something...

I have a 5960x already :v! Also I am not paying that 1000 dollar at all upfront. Probably won't be paying more than 200 either. 

Specs: Case: NZXT H440 ] CPU: I7-5960x | CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 AIO | MOBO: ASUS Rampage V  | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970  | RAM: Gskill Ripjaw 4 16GB 2133Mhz DDR4 kit | PSU: EVGA 1000G2 | SSD (Boot): Samsung 850pro 128GB | HDD (mass storage): WD 1TB Blue 7200RPM  | SDD (Working Drve): Samsung 850 evo 500GB | Keyboard: Logitech G510s | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core | Display: Asus VG248 24in. 144Hz 1ms 

8 minutes ago, EternalSeeker said:

Well shiiet, i have been with wind for 3 years already. I live in the GTA, no issue with service, i got the old wind 50 plan with unlimited everything (data up to 10GB untill slow down) and i have international calling and roaming with 10 dollar service credit every month. I pay 40 bucks since i got my dad and sister in the plan. No issues here. Better than the other phone plans i had. 

:P 

i used to have the $30/mo 5gb data and then it throttles down to dial up

i fucking hated the 1mb down. my area constantly was no service or 1 bar

my current plan is way better. $50/mo for 5gb lte, 2500 texts and 1000 calls. (rogers)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

A 5960X with a 970!? Welp everyone makes unbalanced builds like mine :l.

Otterbox Defender btw? Makes your phone a TANK! It makes your phone look good to me and it has an onboard screen protector. Maybe if they release an Otterbox Strade (Leather Folio) it could be nicer but that may take sometime, since they usually prioritize Iphones in that matter. The most protective cases are surely Otterbox, the most nice looking cases that add protection may be Otterbox Symmetry or Commuter and then an extra screen protector?

Groomlake Authority

10 hours ago, DXMember said:

Better choice is obviously a 6950x and a Note 7, right?  :D

On 8/19/2016 at 2:08 AM, themctipers said:

:P 

i used to have the $30/mo 5gb data and then it throttles down to dial up

i fucking hated the 1mb down. my area constantly was no service or 1 bar

my current plan is way better. $50/mo for 5gb lte, 2500 texts and 1000 calls. (rogers)

On 8/19/2016 at 7:06 AM, VerticalDiscussions said:

A 5960X with a 970!? Welp everyone makes unbalanced builds like mine :l.

Otterbox Defender btw? Makes your phone a TANK! It makes your phone look good to me and it has an onboard screen protector. Maybe if they release an Otterbox Strade (Leather Folio) it could be nicer but that may take sometime, since they usually prioritize Iphones in that matter. The most protective cases are surely Otterbox, the most nice looking cases that add protection may be Otterbox Symmetry or Commuter and then an extra screen protector?

On 8/19/2016 at 0:02 PM, done12many2 said:

Better choice is obviously a 6950x and a Note 7, right?  :D

Well in Canada the CDN dollar is really bad so a phone costing $1100 is berzerk, my 5960x when i bought it was shy of $1200.00 when the CDN dollar was good so hence the comparison :P

Anyway been using the phone (still have the plastic it came with on it!) So far so good, phone is one hell of an upgrade. Been using it for lots of use cases, even done some homebrew with some engineering/science simulation and running codes/processes on it. USB otg coming with it is a godsend for external capabilities. Edge display isn't annoying, i get the full screen and plus the edge as an extra. 

Now I am thinking of getting scratch resistance screen and back protector since the phone is "shatter proof" to a degree and I will be also getting a case, something strong but small profile like speigen (with a tpu layer maybe? never used tpu layer cases before on my note 3). My issue is that aparently it scratches easily, but based on Cornings damage control they say its more due to micro material chaffing off the tool than the actual glass scratching easier? Don't know what to believe, I wanna take precaution on an expensive phone right?

Link to Cornings Damage Control:

http://www.androidauthority.com/corning-responds-samsung-galaxy-note-7-scratch-test-video-711210/

4 hours ago, EternalSeeker said:

Well in Canada the CDN dollar is really bad so a phone costing $1100 is berzerk, my 5960x when i bought it was shy of $1200.00 when the CDN dollar was good so hence the comparison :P

Anyway been using the phone (still have the plastic it came with on it!) So far so good, phone is one hell of an upgrade. Been using it for lots of use cases, even done some homebrew with some engineering/science simulation and running codes/processes on it. USB otg coming with it is a godsend for external capabilities. Edge display isn't annoying, i get the full screen and plus the edge as an extra. 

Now I am thinking of getting scratch resistance screen and back protector since the phone is "shatter proof" to a degree and I will be also getting a case, something strong but small profile like speigen (with a tpu layer maybe? never used tpu layer cases before on my note 3). My issue is that aparently it scratches easily, but based on Cornings damage control they say its more due to micro material chaffing off the tool than the actual glass scratching easier? Don't know what to believe, I wanna take precaution on an expensive phone right?

Link to Cornings Damage Control:

http://www.androidauthority.com/corning-responds-samsung-galaxy-note-7-scratch-test-video-711210/

I feel the same way about the Note 7.  The upgrade was more than worth it.  First thing that I noticed when setting up the new phone was that the file transfers from my computer to my phone were fast and without issues.  On previous Notes, I would eventually hang (sometimes crash the explorer) when transferring several files.  To clarify, if I was transferring them individually as you do when your deciding which to transfer, it would eventually hang.

Big improvements with the S-Pen in accuracy and functionality of software.  Battery life is a lot better than that of my Note5 as well.

Then there's the whole symmetrical front and back thing.  Best feeling Samsung to date.  It feels like one solid piece, but thin at the same time. 

Whether or not GG5 is less or more prone to scratching didn't really matter to me because I always use a screen and phone protector with all of my Notes.  

I picked up a Gadget Guard (wet install) "self-healing" screen protector when I bought the phone and it's has worked great.  I've had the "self-healing" type screen protectors on previous versions of the Note and always ended up going back to regular plastic screen protectors because of the indentations left behind when the S-Pen was used on the surface of the "self-healing" protectors.  

Fortunately, this doesn't happen with the Gadget Guard version.  The first thing I noticed that was different about it was that it was super thin compared to other "self-healing" films.  Application was pretty easy and I even had a funny moment when I was being overly cautious not letting the excess fluid get into the cracks of the phone.  Then I thought to myself, why am I being so cautious if this phone is capable of being dropped in water. :)   Anyways, for the S-Pen / indentation test I turned the screen off, angled the screen into the light and began writing on the surface.  I noticed that if you push really hard, it will leave a slight impression, which literally disappears by the time you've finished writing that word out.  Normal S-Pen pressure levels don't show up at all. 

As far as cases go, I bought two.  A Pelican and a cheap Insignia from Best Buy.  Believe it or not, I like the cheap Insignia "soft case" a lot better than the Pelican case that cost twice as much.  The Insignia case is very thin and maintains the original shape of the phone.  The Pelican definitely offers more protection, but I don't drop my phones so I will be returning it. 

On 8/22/2016 at 9:53 AM, done12many2 said:

I feel the same way about the Note 7.  The upgrade was more than worth it.  First thing that I noticed when setting up the new phone was that the file transfers from my computer to my phone were fast and without issues.  On previous Notes, I would eventually hang (sometimes crash the explorer) when transferring several files.  To clarify, if I was transferring them individually as you do when your deciding which to transfer, it would eventually hang.

Big improvements with the S-Pen in accuracy and functionality of software.  Battery life is a lot better than that of my Note5 as well.

Then there's the whole symmetrical front and back thing.  Best feeling Samsung to date.  It feels like one solid piece, but thin at the same time. 

Whether or not GG5 is less or more prone to scratching didn't really matter to me because I always use a screen and phone protector with all of my Notes.  

I picked up a Gadget Guard (wet install) "self-healing" screen protector when I bought the phone and it's has worked great.  I've had the "self-healing" type screen protectors on previous versions of the Note and always ended up going back to regular plastic screen protectors because of the indentations left behind when the S-Pen was used on the surface of the "self-healing" protectors.  

Fortunately, this doesn't happen with the Gadget Guard version.  The first thing I noticed that was different about it was that it was super thin compared to other "self-healing" films.  Application was pretty easy and I even had a funny moment when I was being overly cautious not letting the excess fluid get into the cracks of the phone.  Then I thought to myself, why am I being so cautious if this phone is capable of being dropped in water. :)   Anyways, for the S-Pen / indentation test I turned the screen off, angled the screen into the light and began writing on the surface.  I noticed that if you push really hard, it will leave a slight impression, which literally disappears by the time you've finished writing that word out.  Normal S-Pen pressure levels don't show up at all. 

As far as cases go, I bought two.  A Pelican and a cheap Insignia from Best Buy.  Believe it or not, I like the cheap Insignia "soft case" a lot better than the Pelican case that cost twice as much.  The Insignia case is very thin and maintains the original shape of the phone.  The Pelican definitely offers more protection, but I don't drop my phones so I will be returning it. 

Thanks for the reply!!

Yeah I just picked up a clearplex ultra invisible protector for my note 7! I got one for my first gen nexus 7 and to this date its still on it! My note 3 i had used zag and ghost armor, they peeled off fast! Its only been 4 hrs since the wet install. It is sticking fine, though im keeping and eye on the edge to make sure it doesn't peel. I got a spigen slim armor case cause it looked damn good with the phone, as dual layer and the buttons and sides are rised so bumps from falls wont be as bad! Though have you ever got the full protector screen protectors that cover the back? Are the necessary when you have a case? I mean as backup I'll keep the plastic wrap on the back of the phone from the packaging if i really need it :P