Why do people hate No Man's Sky so much?

Do you love or hate No Man's Sky?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Do you love or hate No Man's Sky?

• Love
    • Hate

So personally I love No Man's Sky but my friend bought the game and refunded it after less than 2 hours of playing and keeps saying it is total trash and Hello Games is just stealing peoples money etc etc.  But I am just wondering if anybody else feels this way or do you love the game like me?  Also he won't stop harassing me about spending $60 on a "pile of trash" so how do I get him off my back cause it is getting really annoying.

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

IMO the game was advertised to all gamers instead of a target audience. Those who really like space exploration games, crafting games (like minecraft) and are comfortable with a less linear environment are IMO the correct target audience, however the game got advertised to everyone, even those who play CoD.

1) Performance for the looks is sub par no matter how you look at it, even without the massive technical issues

2) People are naturally cautionous when they feel like they're being treated like second class citizens and with Sony's involvement here, this compounds with point 1)

3) Because of said Sony hype however, this game was announced to a much wider audience that probably thought this was going to be a Star Citizen type of game when it's more akin to a Minecraft/Euro Truck Simulator combo game in space.

I personally love those 2 games and I went out of my way not to see any footage or hype on this game until the PS4 version was out at which point I watched streams and liked the idea of mining and adventuring in space. This is how people should in my opinion, discover games: wait until is out, watch some streams, then decide.

Otherwise you're just hurting yourself by believing what some stupid PR people claim or misrepresent.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, ForsakenLive said:

IMO the game was advertised to all gamers instead of a target audience. Those who really like space exploration games, crafting games (like minecraft) and are comfortable with a less linear environment are IMO the correct target audience, however the game got advertised to everyone, even those who play CoD.

Is it wrong to advertise to everyone?  It'll bring in more sales and might actually bring people out of their comfort zone.

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

1) Performance for the looks is sub par no matter how you look at it, even without the massive technical issues

2) People are naturally cautionous when they feel like they're being treated like second hand citizens and with Sony's involvement here, this compounds with point 1)

3) Because of said Sony hype however, this game was announced to a much wider audience that probably thought this was going to be a Star Citizen type of game when it's more akin to a Minecraft/Euro Truck Simulator combo game in space.

I personally love those 2 games and I went out of my way not to see any footage or hype on this game until the PS4 version was out at which point I watched streams and liked the idea of mining and adventuring in space. This is how people shuold in my opinion, discover games: wait until is out, watch some streams, then decide.

Otherwise you're just hurting yourself by believing what some stupid PR people claim or misrepresent.

#1 is true but I have no input on 2 or 3 but people really shouldn't be mad when they did no research and spent $60 on a game that wasn't even out yet.  I got it on PC so I was able to look at PS4 gameplay and am comfortable with what I knew about the game and what I expected from it.

2 minutes ago, Gamessys said:

Is it wrong to advertise to everyone?  It'll bring in more sales and might actually bring people out of their comfort zone.

Is not that is wrong, it's just more of a gamble and you have to be prepared to lose when you gamble. Also the other point is that they didn't necessarily made it clear on said advertising campaigns that this was a mining in space game. A bait and switch will net you some new customers that will end up liking the concept anyway, but for every one of them you'll get a pissed off one that feels cheated.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Misanthrope said:

Is not that is wrong, it's just more of a gamble and you have to be prepared to lose when you gamble. Also the other point is that they didn't necessarily made it clear on said advertising campaigns that this was a mining in space game. A bait and switch will net you some new customers that will end up liking the concept anyway, but for every one of them you'll get a pissed off one that feels cheated.

I didn't see it as a bait and switch because there was clear gameplay all over YouTube and websites for months that told people exactly what you could do in the game.

I don't hate it I'm just kinda sad with how much wasted potential this game has, 18  quintillion worlds doesn't really mean much when there are essentially 20ish at most templates and even those templates feel the same tbh.

And I would never pay 60 bucks for a game like this (by that I mean a game as seemingly unfinished as this).

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 minute ago, Gamessys said:

I didn't see it as a bait and switch because there was clear gameplay all over YouTube and websites for months that told people exactly what you could do in the game.

Just so we're clear I am not trying to disagree here. Cause you're right. But well....people are idiots: they just watch a random add somewhere with the cool spaceships and dinosaurs and think "Oh I want that!" and don't do anything else to research what's actually about.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, AresKrieger said:

I don't hate it I'm just kinda sad with how much wasted potential this game has, 18  quintillion worlds doesn't really mean much when there are essentially 20ish at most templates and even those templates feel the same tbh.

And I would never pay 60 bucks for a game like this.

I agree that a lot of stuff looks repetitive and I am hoping they can add in new templates and buildings etc later on but I am comfortable with $60 spent on it.

Just now, Misanthrope said:

Just so we're clear I am not trying to disagree here. Cause you're right. But well....people are idiots: they just watch a random add somewhere with the cool spaceships and dinosaurs and think "Oh I want that!" and don't do anything else to research what's actually about.

Yeah I know I just want to have a discussion :D

But yes people are idiots sometimes.  I personally do crazy amounts of research on everything I am going to get video game or otherwise which I think is a good habit.

Just now, Gamessys said:

I agree that a lot of stuff looks repetitive and I am hoping they can add in new templates and buildings etc later on but I am comfortable with $60 spent on it.

Hopefully they add on to it but I have no expectations, though as I said I don't have any skin in the game so if they fix it yay, if not I don't lose anything

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Just now, AresKrieger said:

Hopefully they add on to it but I have no expectations, though as I said I don't have any skin in the game so if they fix it yay, if not I don't lose anything

Yeah I am good with it as it is right now.

I personally love the game but have been cautious in recommending it to anyone. For what you're getting right now, its hard to justify the triple A price for what is effectively Minecraft (Beta) in Space. In-game performance isn't as abysmal as some Steam Reviews have pointed out but it does need a performance boost. Overall the game has been enjoyable for about 3 hours then I hop back on Destiny. :P

As for your friend, try to explain that people are different therefore there is a a chance that we like different things. Also, its your $60, so why does he care so much?

Anime Addict | Gamer | Tennis Player | Software Developer | My Outdated Beauty

Just now, StabbersPSN said:

I personally love the game but have been cautious in recommending it to anyone. For what you're getting right now, its hard to justify the triple A price for what is effectively Minecraft (Beta) in Space. In-game performance isn't as abysmal as some Steam Reviews have pointed out but it does need a performance boost. Overall the game has been enjoyable for about 3 hours then I hop back on Destiny. :P

As for your friend, try to explain that people are different therefore there is a a chance that we like different things. Also, its your $60, so why does he care so much?

Yeah I play 3 or 4 hours a day then go play a more action packed game and it is a good system.  And I have tried every explanation possible but he just doesn't get it. 

It's just a mediocre game that feels like it should cost £10 rather than the £40 it does now. Performance on PC is bad to say the least, inventory is bad, all of the planets feel like copy pastes of the same few variants, there's not enough items for the generation to pull from so the planets all feel the same, and they didn't even add half the features they said they would.

It's a mess right now, wouldn't recommend it to anyone at all, better off going for literally any other space game, StarMade is free and it feels like such a better game with actual multiplayer, and I could actually recommend that to friends

LTT's fastest Valley 970, slowest Valley Basic and Extreme HD scores

Desktop || CPU - i5 4690k || Motherboard - ASUS Gryphon Z97 || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz || GPU - Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 *Cough* 3.5GB || Case - Fractal Design Define R5 || HDD - Seagate Barracuda 160GB || PSU - Corsair AX760

13 hours ago, Gamessys said:

So personally I love No Man's Sky but my friend bought the game and refunded it after less than 2 hours of playing and keeps saying it is total trash and Hello Games is just stealing peoples money etc etc.  But I am just wondering if anybody else feels this way or do you love the game like me?  Also he won't stop harassing me about spending $60 on a "pile of trash" so how do I get him off my back cause it is getting really annoying.

IT's a waste. You have a game that is actually bigger than ANY person could do in their lifetime.

Assuming you could jump from each planet instantly, with 18 quintillion planets and spending 1 second on each it would take you 5 billion years. it's is estimated that the sun will die in around 4.5 billion years meaning  if a person was immortal the planet would die before they could see it all.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Not worth with this ridiculous pricing. I'll just stick to my ED exploration journeys.

I want to love it. I want to love it so very badly. NMS is literally all I've ever wanted from a video game. As a massive space geek, it's my dream game.

But I just can't love it. It feels like they're charging full AAA prices for an alpha. It's broken on PC, but even if it's fixed it needs a few gameplay patches and several price drops for me to even consider it.

So, NMS is dead in the water right now and from the looks of things it looks like I'll have died of old age before Star Citizen comes out. That leaves Elite: Dangerous, maybe I'll give that a shot?

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Hype. Aggressive pricing. Boring starting planets. Honestly if they just gone the Minecraft route of selling it cheaper and do an Alpha, I think it would've blown up. The game has some cool stuff going for it and planets get more interest as you reach closer to the center. Sony bought it so nah. The performance, at least on my 970, isn't that bad. A bit of screen tearing, a few frame drops from 60fps when generating new terrain but it could look a lot better. 

Please quote if you want a person to reply, they won't get a notification otherwise.

PC Specs

(CPU: Intel 4790k) (GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 WF3OC) (Mobo: Asus MAXIMUS VII RANGER) (RAM: Red Corsair Vengeance Pro 2*8GB 1600MHz) (HDD: WD Green 2TB) (SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 120GB) (CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X) (PSU: Corsair RM750) (Case & Fans: Corsair Obsidian 450D) (Monitor: Asus VX239H)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I don't love or hate it I just think there isn't much game there. Its been my issue since the reveal and never actually got fully answered, what do you do?! Turns out what you do is fly from planet to planet and mine resources so you can keep flying around with some simplistic tech mechanics. The game is the afterthought here, they built a world generator and that was what garnered the attention but if we consider how that usually works out world generators produce bland environments that all feel the same. Its just nothing special, its overpriced for what it is as its definitely not a AAA game, its an experimental concept indy game being sold at above the usual price for a PC game.

20 hours ago, Gamessys said:

It is not! And as you said, it can bring in new people.

However today's internet is full of people that just want to dive into trends and whatever is fashionable today. Highly hyped games that have lots of publicity and PR going on tend to be at the top of the charts of gamers that don't really do research and just want to play the big new game everyone is talking about.

Then it's everyone complaining about things (complaining about stuff is the main topic on social media), despite the bugs/issues the game might have, the main complain is that the game was "over hyped" which most of the time means "it doesn't cater to my needs/likes".

This same phenomenon happened to Diablo 3, everyone and their mother knew about the game, they played it and started complaining "it's too short", "it's the same thing over and over again" (had 3 difficulty modes), "it's too easy" (playing on easy), "it's too hard" (playing on max diff), "there is nothing else to do" (doesn't max out the character), "there is no PVP" (this topic was already addressed on the previous BlizzCon), and so on...... However the game was finished, didn't have big performance issues or game breaking bugs, and it had the same concept, systems, game modes and Campaign duration as Diablo 2 which is a praised game!!. Most of the people complaining didn't know a thing about the Diablo game series, and complained so hard and made such bad reputation for the game that blizzard allowed full refunds for them.

Like Misanthrope said, it's a gamble, because customers can also be whiny people on Twitter.

So I personally really enjoy this game and intend to log plenty of hours exploring and discovering. What the main issue is that I've been reading about is that there are a slew of features that were teased or talked about before the release that were not included in the final $60 product. It feels like we're getting a beta version of the game and not what was promised. There's a whole Reddit post about what was "supposed" to be in the game here: Where's the NMS we were sold on?. Now don't get me wrong, I still very much enjoy this game and there have been patches talked about that will fix some of these missing "features". I guess the real heat is just from the feeling like we've been ripped off.