BlackMagic URSA Mini 4.6K Review

4 minutes ago, Faris.S said:

5000$ is a serious price to pay for a camera like this. I bet there's better for a lower price, but not like the specs that this camera have such as the SSD input. But I learned in my studio that every camera have its own issues. good luck with picking the right toy for the right job tho ;) .

It's firmly a "budget" camera. There's not really anything that comes close for $5000. Even doubling the cost to $10000 you only have 2 or 3 viable contenders. Not that long ago, you'd be looking at well over $20k.

But it's Blackmagic, so you get a few software quirks and QC issues to go with the low price.

29 minutes ago, Faris.S said:

5000$ is a serious price to pay for a camera like this. I bet there's better for a lower price, but not like the specs that this camera have such as the SSD input. But I learned in my studio that every camera have its own issues. good luck with picking the right toy for the right job tho ;) .

The Ursa Mini 4.6K certainly has competition but very little in terms of a cheaper camera with similar capabilities.  There is a $3000 Ursa Mini 4K version.

Sure you can try to say that Sony offers a $3000 A7s II or Panasonic their GH4, but they are not cinema cameras.  No DSLR is a true cinema camera.  Even Canon's C100 and Sony's FS700 are old and are not capable of doing what the Ursa Mini can do.

And $5000 is really cheap for a camera with such capabilities... if only BM can improve their QC, production and software (hopefully Firmware V4 will get very positive reviews).

PS: people who buy these cameras earn money by using them.

20 minutes ago, Dredgy said:

It's firmly a "budget" camera. There's not really anything that comes close for $5000. Even doubling the cost to $10000 you only have 2 or 3 viable contenders. Not that long ago, you'd be looking at well over $20k.

But it's Blackmagic, so you get a few software quirks and QC issues to go with the low price.

This.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

the Ursa mini the shoulder mount people has complain because the shoulder mount was short

@ALwin

I actually tried the Canon EOS C100 which was a good experience but also not a truly cinematic camera nowdays as I hoped which I agree about that.
but the Ursa mini 4K only has a better advantage in the price value, but the only different I guess is the resolution "I haven't checked the other things yet" but anyway, the camera prices isn't a big problem, it's just how, when and where you gonna use it.

21 minutes ago, Faris.S said:

it's just how, when and where you gonna use it.

Well if I have a video camera and I need to film something, I'd certainly be using that video camera I own.  I see no point in trying to find another camera.  (I own the FS7.)

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

@ALwin

for me, I have a lot of problems to find a good camera for low light shots, especially when I have to rent one. I'm currently trying to find one for a good price and excellent quality that fit my purpose but nothing comes as I want in mind for the price and specs that I'm looking for. 

I hoped that BlackMagic Ursa 4k and 4.6k to be good for low light shots as they're good cameras for price value compared to offered features, but I feel like the $5k should go to another camera that have this feature that I need it more. of course everyone have their favorites, and mine is JVC GY-HM600 ProHD but I'm looking for better options as this camera is sort of old one.

29 minutes ago, Faris.S said:

snip

I wouldn't consider the Ursa Mini, even the 4.6K version with 15 stops of DR, to be really good low light cameras as the ISO tops out at 1600.  And even though the Sony A7sII (which is not a proper video camera) and the more expensive FS7 are technically better at dealing with low lit situations, I wouldn't use them without a proper lighting setup in poorly lit shooting environments. 

You can also get the Sony FS5 which costs approximately $6000 with a 18-105 lens, and already comes included with one battery, viewfinder, top handle in the box.  All you will need to buy/get are a mic and memory cards (SD format).  It has similar capabilities to handle poorly lit situations as the FS7 and can handle noise relating to boosting the ISO pretty well.

The Ursa Mini 4.6K is $5000 only for the base body, no battery plate, no batteries, no lenses, no handle or shoulder rig, no mic holder.

But, if one is going to be filming in a location where the lighting is not ideal, artificial lighting should always be used.

Great video! Can't wait for the new high quality A-footage!

Also pls post that short you filmed. 

Made an account just to congratulate the editor (Taran?) on that intro...please give him a chance to show us more content like that.  

and i thought my iphone camera was great..

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

16 hours ago, Sharpmetalobject said:

Made an account just to congratulate the editor (Taran?) on that intro...please give him a chance to show us more content like that.  

Actually Brandon edited the video this time around :)

14 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Actually Brandon edited the video this time around :)

So an extremely talented host, cameraman and editor? Why isn't this guy running LMG? :P

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

1 hour ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

So an extremely talented host, cameraman and editor? Why isn't this guy running LMG? :P

Because he only likes shooting, editing, and hosting :D literally one of the most passionate & hardworking people I know and he is laser-focused.

1 hour ago, nicklmg said:

he only likes shooting, editing, and hosting

Sounds like a smart guy, leave the boring stuff to the plebs.

if this camera will be used in the Channel SuperFun, it would be great idea. I wonder when you guys will start uploading a video using this camera?

20 minutes ago, Faris.S said:

if this camera will be used in the Channel SuperFun, it would be great idea. I wonder when you guys will start uploading a video using this camera?

They rented or got the camera for review purposes, they haven't bought it yet.

3 hours ago, ItsLukenotLucas said:

no more widescreen pls.

You're about 10 years too slow to complain about widescreen.

10 minutes ago, xnamkcor said:

You're about 10 years too slow to complain about widescreen.

lol i meant ultra wide

On 17/08/2016 at 3:03 PM, Dredgy said:

59.94 is for television broadcast which is double the standard NTSC frame rate of 29.97 whereas 60FPS is for playing online, on computer monitors etc.

aah.

next question,

why 29.97, seems a strange standard to use?

29 minutes ago, Sacredsock said:

aah.

next question,

why 29.97, seems a strange standard to use?

The .9x frame came from when issues with converting to color came up in broadcasting.  I'm on my phone at the moment, so will explain later. You can also read on Wikipedia.

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-30fps-and-25fps-video-shown-as-29-97fps-and-24-97fps-respectively

3 hours ago, ItsLukenotLucas said:

lol i meant ultra wide

He was a film ratio standard, not ultrawide.

He's using 2.35:1, ultrawide is 21:9 or 2.333:1