BlackMagic URSA Mini 4.6K Review

the intro is still the best ever.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Was the 2.35 : 1 aspect ratio really that necessary?

The small recording time and the price of the media would be a killer for me.  At that price I would have liked to see a couple of m.2 connectors or something like that and maybe a usb 3.0 port to quickly transfer the media from SSDs to laptop or external hard drive. Just install a couple of SSDs and be done with it.

30 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Amazon: http://geni.us/xSB3OMQ

Brandon's review game has reached another freaking level with this one... the URSA Mini 4.6k review is here, and trust me, it is freaking awesome!

There's a better review made by Philip Bloom for the Ursa Mini 4.6K

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

I love the Widescreen format!!!! makes everything look better and was berkel going for a topgun volleyball esq scene?

Please Quote so i know you have replied. | If we have provided a solution to your problem mark it with answer found.

And also please read the COC and avoid the embarrassment and lecture that will ensue.

13 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The small recording time and the price of the media would be a killer for me.  At that price I would have liked to see a couple of m.2 connectors or something like that and maybe a usb 3.0 port to quickly transfer the media from SSDs to laptop or external hard drive. Just install a couple of SSDs and be done with it.

The camera was designed for professionals with a big budget, or at least a sufficient one.  Not for enthusiasts or hobbyists.  Fortunately CFast 2.0 cards exist in 256GB+ capacities.  XQD 2 cards max out at 128GB for my Sony.  Hence, why they are using that external CFast to SSD adapter which costs somewhere in the region of around $500.

But to really make the full use of the camera, one needs multi terabyte storage system at home to archive the footage, and Cinema RAW workflow is not easy to work with.  Until the newer versions of Adobe CC came along, one had to transcode the Cinema RAW files to another format in order to be able to work with in Premiere and After Effects.

When Blackmagic first announced the Ursa Mini 4.6K they promised 15 stops of dynamic range with global shutter, now it only achieves that with a rolling shutter.  Global shutter is stuck at 12 stops of DR.  There's still a lot of bugs in the camera system, and after a year+ of delays in production and deliveries...

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Brandon talks too fast on camera IMHO. That is one thing he can improve on

2 minutes ago, EvilLemur said:

I love the Widescreen format!!!! makes everything look better and was berkel going for a topgun volleyball esq scene?

It's distracting, not really the perfect choice for this type of video (well, ok, it's up to the person making the video, i just feel it's not good choice)

Camera is capable of more than 4k, yet we see just a small part of that 4k.

See below what i mean:

27 minutes ago, mariushm said:

If you watched the whole video you would know i did end up just using standard 2.5 inch SSDs :) 

I did watch it all, and it's a very nicely shot video, thank you!

Still, the adapter adds about 600$ to a $4-5k camera, and that doesn't include the cost of the SSD drives... and has downsides like that issue with the lcd display not closing.

I was just pointing out that you could spend $450 for a 512 GB Samsung 950 pro SSD which has write speeds up to 1.5 GB/s (with the help of the x4 pci-e link in the m.2 slot), and that would have made it possible to shoot RAW at the highest settings (from video i gathered the camera can't due absolute maximums due to storage speed, or that some specific formats must be used)

I'd rather spend 900$ for 2 of those for a total of 1 TB and i guess over 2h of continous recording (based on your affirmation that 64 GB is good for around 6 minutes or less), instead of buying 64GB CFast cards for $200 a pop, and then carry around CFast reader or something like that. 

Brandon will now look at the Sony fs700 as a piece of trash.  

By the way what is going to happen to the fs700 anyway if the ursa mini will be your new a cam? Can I have it? 

What is the music used in the intro @BRollTheIntern? That btw looks great!

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

12 minutes ago, xQubeZx said:

What is the music used in the intro @BRollTheIntern? That btw looks great!

This question was asked a thousand times on Vessel, and it still wasn't included in the video description on YouTube. Frustrating. Nobody seems to know.

13 minutes ago, BRollTheIntern said:

Song is called: Sat Night by Yanivi 

Ehm, got a link? Seems impossible to find

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

The voice is from this song. Took some doing but I found it. 

Unfortunately, the actual song eludes me. But I am Batman, the world's greatest detective. I will find it...

6 hours ago, EvilLemur said:

I understand that CSF are doing a top-gun shot for shot recreation, its why linus and luke were sporting lobster tans on the wan show a week or two back.

I do have a question, apart from the obvious what is the difference between 60fps and 59.94fps?

What about that car tree with the huge trunk at 5:09 :o how'd that happen?

Snap-2016-08-17_09-38-58.png

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who can read binary and those who can't.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who can read hexadecimal and F the rest.

~Fletch

Don't suppose you could upload a few un-youtube-ified clips somewhere for us to download and view?

Even at 4k Youtube's compression is still really noticeable so we can't get a good view of just how good the footage the camera captures is :(

9 hours ago, mariushm said:

Looks fantastic on a 21:9 screen.

you're thinking consumer cameras for the features you want. I agree a good SSD housing would be a good solution, but SSDs have all sorts of compatibility issues with cameras - m2 and mSATA drives have a bunch of controller issues to work around. Especially when flooding the disk with RAW footage. You can turn the quality down and get lots more recording. ProRes HQ will give you 15minutes no problem, and stepping down to LT will give you an hour or so per card (128GB). 

And you also think the camera is expensive - it's not, it's dirt cheap for what it offers and who it's targeting and it's cutting some costs so doesn't have allot of luxuries.

51 minutes ago, Sacredsock said:

I do have a question, apart from the obvious what is the difference between 60fps and 59.94fps?

59.94 is for television broadcast which is double the standard NTSC frame rate of 29.97 whereas 60FPS is for playing online, on computer monitors etc.

5000$ is a serious price to pay for a camera like this. I bet there's better for a lower price, but not like the specs that this camera have such as the SSD input. But I learned in my studio that every camera have its own issues. good luck with picking the right toy for the right job tho ;) .