If you have a home server, what are you uses for it?

2 minutes ago, lukesterboy said:

Cool. I will probably move my TeamSpeak server from my ts3 host to my home server since most of my friends are in the UK so it would make better sense especially if my server is going to be on 24/7. Saving £3 a month for not paying the TS3 server can go to my energy bill :D.

I will say that there are some cons and pros about having your TS-server on your own machine.

If you pay for like 10 slots and 500-1000MB of space then you get 32 slots (non-license server limit) and all the space your machine has.
So the money you save has to be calculated by what the cost for a TS3 server with 32 slots and "unlimited" space would be :)

Main Machine:

Spoiler

Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV • i7-6700K • Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo • Asus Maximus viii Ranger • 16GB Corsair LPX 3000MHz • 2x EVGA GTX1070 • Samsung 970 EVO 1TB + 860 QVO 1TB + 4TB HDD • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2, 80 PLUS Platinum • 1x ASUS MG279Q 1x Samsung S27A350H 1x Samsung S27B750V • Xtrfy XG-K2-RGB • Logitech G502

Lan Machine:

Spoiler

Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV ITX • i5-4460 • Stock Cooler • Asus H81I-PLUS • 8GB Kingston Hyperx Fury 1600MHz • Sapphire 290 TRI-X "OC" • A400 240GB SSD + 1TB HDD • Corsair CX650M

Main Server:

Spoiler

Unraid 6.8.3 • Inter-Tech IPC 4U-4424 • ASUS PRO WS X570-ACE • Ryzen 9 3900X • 32GB DDR4 • 4TB Parity • 20TB Array total • 2x 240GB SSD Cache

Nas Server:

Spoiler

Unraid 6.8.3 • Silverstone DS380 • Asrock Q2900-ITX • Pentium J2900 • 4GB DDR3 • 3TB Parity • 5.5TB Array total

2 minutes ago, Las_Killar said:

I will say that there are some cons and pros about having your TS-server on your own machine.

If you pay for like 10 slots and 500-1000MB of space then you get 32 slots (non-license server limit) and all the space your machine has.
So the money you save has to be calculated by what the cost for a TS3 server with 32 slots and "unlimited" space would be :)

Um don't quite understand what you are saying but at the moment I pay £3 a month for 50 slots, as for space I guess it's unlimited. But I only every have around 7 people on at a time.

15 minutes ago, lukesterboy said:

14 Cores, Jesus! Ahaha good pranks! Maybe to get more out of that overkill CPU you could run ESXi on it. Why did you get that CPU by the way? :D 

No idea what ESXi is. I'm not going to lie, originally I was going to go the sane route and get a i3 with ECC on a server motherboard, but ah, that Xeon is a engineering sample CPU, so I got it for $500 off of ebay...I figured I might as well go overkill so I could use it as a workstation (Since it renders and compiles code much faster than my 2500K here). It beats my cousin's overclocked 5820K (At 4.5GHz) as well.

I think next I'll probably go superoverkill and get a two Xeons for the NAS and move the 14 core to my PC and retire the 2500K. Still unsure, since overclocking is fun, but high clock and low core count doesn't do much for me since I'm not really a gamer.

1 minute ago, scottyseng said:

No idea what ESXi is. I'm not going to lie, originally I was going to go the sane route and get a i3 with ECC on a server motherboard, but ah, that Xeon is a engineering sample CPU, so I got it for $500 off of ebay...I figured I might as well go overkill so I could use it as a workstation (Since it renders and compiles code much faster than my 2500K here). It beats my cousin's overclocked 5820K (At 4.5GHz) as well.

I think next I'll probably go superoverkill and get a two Xeons for the NAS and move the 14 core to my PC and retire the 2500K. Still unsure, since overclocking is fun, but high clock and low core count doesn't do much for me since I'm not really a gamer.

ESXi is basically VMWare on your PC, if that's a good explanation, google it :P. Ah, i see, yeah why not go overkill!

Just now, lukesterboy said:

ESXi is basically VMWare on your PC, if that's a good explanation, google it :P. Ah, i see, yeah why not go overkill!

Ah, I see. Yeah, I don't need my server to handle virtual machines or more tasks. It lives the easy life as a NAS or sometimes hard life when I make it render something.

Yeah, overkill is good. I also need to upgrade the GPUs to something newer as well...those FirePro V7900 GPUs are really old at this point...waiting for a new Pascal mid range Quadro. Sadly workstation GPUs cost so much...

5 minutes ago, lukesterboy said:

Um don't quite understand what you are saying but at the moment I pay £3 a month for 50 slots, as for space I guess it's unlimited. But I only every have around 7 people on at a time.

Fair enough, It might be because i live in Denmark and here we have to pay a good couple of euro for just a few slots and space limit :(

But when you host your own TS3 server, you are either Non-licensed (aka. free server) or applied to be licensed.
And the Non-licensed server has a slot limit in TS3 on 32 and you can only have one server.
TS2 server non-licensed is limited to 2 servers and 500 slots each.

Main Machine:

Spoiler

Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV • i7-6700K • Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo • Asus Maximus viii Ranger • 16GB Corsair LPX 3000MHz • 2x EVGA GTX1070 • Samsung 970 EVO 1TB + 860 QVO 1TB + 4TB HDD • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2, 80 PLUS Platinum • 1x ASUS MG279Q 1x Samsung S27A350H 1x Samsung S27B750V • Xtrfy XG-K2-RGB • Logitech G502

Lan Machine:

Spoiler

Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV ITX • i5-4460 • Stock Cooler • Asus H81I-PLUS • 8GB Kingston Hyperx Fury 1600MHz • Sapphire 290 TRI-X "OC" • A400 240GB SSD + 1TB HDD • Corsair CX650M

Main Server:

Spoiler

Unraid 6.8.3 • Inter-Tech IPC 4U-4424 • ASUS PRO WS X570-ACE • Ryzen 9 3900X • 32GB DDR4 • 4TB Parity • 20TB Array total • 2x 240GB SSD Cache

Nas Server:

Spoiler

Unraid 6.8.3 • Silverstone DS380 • Asrock Q2900-ITX • Pentium J2900 • 4GB DDR3 • 3TB Parity • 5.5TB Array total

5 hours ago, lukesterboy said:

Does anyone know if you can somehow have the server turn off at say 11:00pm and come back on at like 7:00pm and off on a Saturday etc. Basically on a secluded so its off when I'm not using it. This is to try and reduce power consumption. Could I use the management port to do this or something? Or is there any other ways?

You setup a task on task manager or a cron job to shut the computer down via their respective shutdown commands. Turning it back on is a bit of a challenge, easier way IMO is to setup a cron job on your firewall to send a WOL packet to said machine. Alternatively you can buy a "smart" outlet that is controlled via bluetooth. You then go in to the bios of the machine and tell it to turn on if it has power. Then you just simply turn the outlet on/off via a schedule or remotely.

What server is it, make and model (e.g. HP DL380 G5)?
What do you use it for mainly (NAS, DNS, Router, etc)?
What do you run on it (ESXi, windows server, etc)
What is the power consumption of your server?
How long do you run it for (24/7, 2 hours a day, etc)?
Suggest me ideas that I could do with my server, want to mess around with it but have no idea what to do.
Anything else you have to say?

Well, several pieces of equipment. 

Servers: Dell C1100 (2x E5520, 32gb) - $400 / IBM x3650 M3 (2x E5520, 32gb) - $250 / Dell R610 (x2 X5670, 98gb) - $650 / homebrew (E3-1220v3, 32gb, 5x 4TB, 4x 3TB) - $1500 I think, it's "grown" and I lost track.

Use: X3650 and R610 is an ESXi cluster, C1100 was part of that cluster but is being re-purposed as a firewall that eats too many watts.

Software: Majority of VMs are just for a lab that I try to keep very similar to work. We have a development network here too, but I rather spend time at home "playing." I use development once I get more serious about a change. I also have a vm for teamspeak (centos). Regarding one of the user's comments, the "space" is nice because you can share files via teamspeak. Majority if not all do not allow you to put files on their TS servers because they don't want the responsibility if people share things they shouldn't.

Homebrew: NAS and backup. I have a plex and plexpy jail currently. The 5x 4TB array is for storage of personal files / movies. The 4x 3TB is used for backups. RaidZ1 for the storage, RaidZ2 for the backup. I may later add a Raid10 SSD array for my VMs, Currently the VMs task the IOPS of the RaidZ1 pretty hard. I've tested both NFS and iSCSI, and for my use-case the block-level iSCSI wins by enough to matter.

Power: Um, The C1100 I measured something like 250watts idle IIRC. The Homebrew I haven't tested but I imagine it's around 80watts idle.

Uptime: yup, 24/7.

Thoughts/Suggestions: R610 is a beast. Wish I had known how great of a deal the R710 and R610 were before I started building my lab. First identify what you want to learn more about. Linux? FreeBSD? Networking? Windows Domain? Storage? Game hosting? For s&giggles I'd say throw a free copy of ESXi on there, and then host a firewall (pfSense is my current flavor, sophos UTM home is good too I hear). This will teach you more about ESXi, networking with virtual switches and firewalling. You could even buy a NIC and dedicate the entire card to pfsense.

U7Pd1Bb.jpg

It was my old gaming PC. Core2Duo E7400 under-volted with 6GB RAM and 5TB in RAIDZ-1(which is equivalent to Raid-5 so effective capacity 4TB). Running Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS. Primarily a NAS but I sometimes use it to crack passwords since I have a HD5750 in it. Not very fast but it get the job done given enough time. Power consumption have never been measured but I believe it would idle at around 200W since it's a really old platform.

The Internet is invented by cats. Why? Why else would it have so much cat videos?

Repurposed dell optiplex 760 core 2 duo

nas and plex server

windows vista

235w

daytime only

try plex server

i strongly do not recommend this setup it is unstable af and slow but it works

its good because the pc was free and i am using 128gb sandisk ultra usb drives

6 hours ago, lukesterboy said:

Awesome! Does that thing really pull anyway near 500w? :P How many watts is it? And definitely, I will learn command line!

No, i doubt it pulls anything close to 500w, the CPU has a TDP of 125w and i only have 2 drives so it should probably not even get up to 200w

But i kinda had problems finding 300-400w power supplies that are actually recent :P

6 hours ago, Las_Killar said:

Fair enough, It might be because i live in Denmark and here we have to pay a good couple of euro for just a few slots and space limit :(

But when you host your own TS3 server, you are either Non-licensed (aka. free server) or applied to be licensed.
And the Non-licensed server has a slot limit in TS3 on 32 and you can only have one server.
TS2 server non-licensed is limited to 2 servers and 500 slots each.

Oh ok and yeah maybe because you live in Denmark as far as I know when I've hosted ts3 servers on my PC before its worked fine with at least 10 people and 10 people is a busy time on my server so as long as runs and allows 5 people on, I don't care :)

8 hours ago, lukesterboy said:

Wow sounds very interesting. You can be my inside man at google. I would love to work at Google one day. Do actually have access to a google data center or anything then?

Yes, that is very true I'm sure home server hosting does work out a lot cheaper than paying for an online service I guess the only downside is accessing it when you not on the same network. Sure you can forward it out but if you have a slow upload then unlucky because with Netflix your not going to have that problem :D

Ok, that I see what you mean. It's fine I'll google them.

14 Cores, Jesus! Ahaha good pranks! Maybe to get more out of that overkill CPU you could run ESXi on it. Why did you get that CPU by the way? :D 

Cool. I would use plex put its costs money and there is plenty of other solutions. What is 350VA, 350W?

Sounds like your getting the most out of your server than most other people here! :D Well done! I like how this started off with a 5V chip and has continuously been upgraded!

Awesome! Does that thing really pull anyway near 500w? :P How many watts is it? And definitely, I will learn command line!

Cool. I will probably move my TeamSpeak server from my ts3 host to my home server since most of my friends are in the UK so it would make better sense especially if my server is going to be on 24/7. Saving £3 a month for not paying the TS3 server can go to my energy bill :D.

I did notice this socket incompatibility but didn't mention it since maybe I don't know as much about servers, I assumed maybe there is a hack for it just like how you can put an LGA 771 into an LGA 775, I think it was something like that, maybe the other way round but yeh.

VA is what ups are rated off of .

highly recommend you buy one and a decent one .if you have brownouts or blackouts or live in a area with alot of lighting

its about 250-440watts i pull thur the wall  just guessing i had a wall reader to know how much my nas was eating .

plex is free only the really needed options you pay for . you can share folders with friends on there free account . the paid version     Stream trailers and extras, cell phone app download to mobile for offline view, beta access for updates(not worth it this unclaiming of server gets real old after the 5th or so time  bug. ), cant make family accounts or limited everyone signs up then .

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/202526943-Plex-Free-vs-Paid

i bought this used to get the VA for my nas/pc http://www.microcenter.com/product/357876/Kill_A_Watt_EZ_Voltage_Monitor

but with no box i connected my pc along with my nas  it melted i guess from the 900w my pc pulls along with the nas .found out later max is somewhere in the 1000w-1500w range .

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

Well, several pieces of equipment. 

Servers: Dell C1100 (2x E5520, 32gb) - $400 / IBM x3650 M3 (2x E5520, 32gb) - $250 / Dell R610 (x2 X5670, 98gb) - $650 / homebrew (E3-1220v3, 32gb, 5x 4TB, 4x 3TB) - $1500 I think, it's "grown" and I lost track.

Use: X3650 and R610 is an ESXi cluster, C1100 was part of that cluster but is being re-purposed as a firewall that eats too many watts.

Software: Majority of VMs are just for a lab that I try to keep very similar to work. We have a development network here too, but I rather spend time at home "playing." I use development once I get more serious about a change. I also have a vm for teamspeak (centos). Regarding one of the user's comments, the "space" is nice because you can share files via teamspeak. Majority if not all do not allow you to put files on their TS servers because they don't want the responsibility if people share things they shouldn't.

Homebrew: NAS and backup. I have a plex and plexpy jail currently. The 5x 4TB array is for storage of personal files / movies. The 4x 3TB is used for backups. RaidZ1 for the storage, RaidZ2 for the backup. I may later add a Raid10 SSD array for my VMs, Currently the VMs task the IOPS of the RaidZ1 pretty hard. I've tested both NFS and iSCSI, and for my use-case the block-level iSCSI wins by enough to matter.

Power: Um, The C1100 I measured something like 250watts idle IIRC. The Homebrew I haven't tested but I imagine it's around 80watts idle.

Uptime: yup, 24/7.

Thoughts/Suggestions: R610 is a beast. Wish I had known how great of a deal the R710 and R610 were before I started building my lab. First identify what you want to learn more about. Linux? FreeBSD? Networking? Windows Domain? Storage? Game hosting? For s&giggles I'd say throw a free copy of ESXi on there, and then host a firewall (pfSense is my current flavor, sophos UTM home is good too I hear). This will teach you more about ESXi, networking with virtual switches and firewalling. You could even buy a NIC and dedicate the entire card to pfsense.

U7Pd1Bb.jpg

Reply to your first comment: Ok, thanks, could you link me to this Bluetooth device/thing? Also, what is the top right box on your server rack for the one that has 4 ethernet cables going into the front of it? I was thinking the same thing, wake on LAN but what state does the machine have to be in to be able to wake it, can it be shut down or have to be in sleep mode or hibernate?

Reply to your second comment: Very nice, rack, set up, and servers, what internet speed do you get :P? I have heard good things about the IBM x3650 M3, I assume you like it as you have 1 of them. As for pfsense, I want to try that but what are the advantages  of running a firewall on a machine, is it better than my router and why, does my router even have a firewall :D. I want to have pfsense manage DHCP but still need my router and I need it in wireless mode since it will be the only wireless router to give the wireless devices wifi.

EDIT: What does is behind the locked cupboard thing?

4 hours ago, Huntsman said:

It was my old gaming PC. Core2Duo E7400 under-volted with 6GB RAM and 5TB in RAIDZ-1(which is equivalent to Raid-5 so effective capacity 4TB). Running Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS. Primarily a NAS but I sometimes use it to crack passwords since I have a HD5750 in it. Not very fast but it get the job done given enough time. Power consumption have never been measured but I believe it would idle at around 200W since it's a really old platform.

Very nice making the most of what you got I see.

4 hours ago, Amazingjoseph11 said:

Repurposed dell optiplex 760 core 2 duo

nas and plex server

windows vista

235w

daytime only

try plex server

i strongly do not recommend this setup it is unstable af and slow but it works

its good because the pc was free and i am using 128gb sandisk ultra usb drives

Cool, where is this PC stored? And how do you control when it's on and off, do you personally have to go and turn it on and off or do you use some sort of remote desktop? Sounds like a jerry-rigged setup but if it works for you then so be it. You use USB's drives permanently plugged in to hold your data for the plex server? And a NAS of what sort, how much storage and any raids? I'm guessing not since it's a desktop PC and probably can only fit one hard drive.

3 hours ago, Mayaa said:

No, i doubt it pulls anything close to 500w, the CPU has a TDP of 125w and i only have 2 drives so it should probably not even get up to 200w

But i kinda had problems finding 300-400w power supplies that are actually recent :P

Yeh true, very nice indeed.

2 hours ago, gamerking said:

VA is what ups are rated off of .

highly recommend you buy one and a decent one .if you have brownouts or blackouts or live in a area with alot of lighting

its about 250-440watts i pull thur the wall  just guessing i had a wall reader to know how much my nas was eating .

plex is free only the really needed options you pay for . you can share folders with friends on there free account . the paid version     Stream trailers and extras, cell phone app download to mobile for offline view, beta access for updates(not worth it this unclaiming of server gets real old after the 5th or so time  bug. ), cant make family accounts or limited everyone signs up then .

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/202526943-Plex-Free-vs-Paid

i bought this used to get the VA for my nas/pc http://www.microcenter.com/product/357876/Kill_A_Watt_EZ_Voltage_Monitor

but with no box i connected my pc along with my nas  it melted i guess from the 900w my pc pulls along with the nas .found out later max is somewhere in the 1000w-1500w range .

Ahh, ok, I won't be needing a UPS anytime soon but evenautlly... I will get one.

Does anyone know if you can somehow have the server turn off at say 11:00pm and come back on at like 7:00pm and off on a Saturday etc. Basically on a secluded so its off when I'm not using it. This is to try and reduce power consumption. Could I use the management port to do this or something? Or is there any other ways?

Not terribly difficult.  You can set your OS to shut down at the times you want.  Through, for instance, a cron script (or whatever the equivalent is under MS-Windows).  Then simply set your BIOS up for automatic startup at certain times.  Most BIOS' have this as a feature.

There may also be a way to automate this all through the ACPI interface.  I know there's people out there who have MythTV machines that will shut themselves down automatically and then start themselves back up according to TV schedules. 

My server is used for transcoding through Plex, and as mass storage for all of my devices, including my smartphone. I even have some Steam games on it. It doesn't really have a make or model as I built it myself, but I'll go through the specs below.

CPU: AMD A8-7600.

CPU cooler: Stock for now, but will be installing my Hyper 212 Evo soon.

Motherboard: ASRock FM2A78M Pro3+

Memory: 16GB of G.Skill budget memory running at 1.3GHz effective.

Storage: 4 WD 1TB Blue hard drives; Two are running in one volume in a RAID 1 config, and the other two are running in another volume, also in a RAID 1 config; OS is stored on a Toshiba 16GB flash drive.

Power supply: Enermax NAXN semi-modular 750W.

Case: Rosewill REDBONE U3.

It also runs 24/7. Power consumption is probably around 200ish watts under full load. The operating system is FreeNAS.

Edited by Godlygamer23

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

On 8/17/2016 at 9:09 AM, sgtrecker78 said:

Yes, I do own a server, a self mad one, in fact

i use 2 

Intel Xeon Processor E7-8890 v4 (24 cores each)

I use an

ASUS Z10PA-D8 ATX Server Motherboard Dual LGA 2011-3 DDR4 (motherboard)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1N84684899&cm_re=server_motherboard_DDR4-_-13-132-258-_-Product

I placed 5 intel 750 1.2tb SSD's in it, and proceeded to water cool them with EKWB I

(These 5 SS'd are separate form the 2 in my pc)

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-PCIe-1-2TB-Internal-SSDPEDMW012T4R5/dp/B00UHJJQ3Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471388426&sr=8-1&keywords=intel+750+pcie+ssd+1.2tb

I also put in 128gb of ECC memory (watercooled with EKWB of course)

I use it as a NAS to store all of my 3D design projects that I work on at my workplace (google)

it is in a raid 0 configuration

I run it on a windows server application

it draws about 650 watts from the wall when all of the SSD's are on 100% use

I also have it connected to a UPS

i run it 24/7, yes

Servers are only for the deepest of storage enthusiasts, choose wisely 

the case is a custom built brushed aluminum + tempered glass chassis

Except for where that system still doesn't work even with you putting a different board down - why bother bragging on a forum? It doesn't make you look any bigger and better?

On 8/16/2016 at 7:09 PM, sgtrecker78 said:

I use an

That motherboard doesn't support that CPU or any E7...

On 8/16/2016 at 7:31 PM, sgtrecker78 said:

I am a hardware engineer at google, and every day of the year we are working on more efficient ways to house our servers, such as new chassis/server rooms etc, and I am constantly working on new designs as we are constantly getting bigger. I also work on designing some of google's new projects (which I cannot mention in the slightest) that require constant design + redesign before being released to the public.

I kinda doubt this...

Also, with this thread here, where you have a $3300 budget for a new workstation, I'm having doubts that you have a pair of $7000 processors.

On 8/17/2016 at 9:09 AM, sgtrecker78 said:

Yes, I do own a server, a self mad one, in fact

i use 2 

I use an

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1N84684899&cm_re=server_motherboard_DDR4-_-13-132-258-_-Product

I placed 5 intel 750 1.2tb SSD's in it, and proceeded to water cool them with EKWB I

(These 5 SS'd are separate form the 2 in my pc)

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-PCIe-1-2TB-Internal-SSDPEDMW012T4R5/dp/B00UHJJQ3Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471388426&sr=8-1&keywords=intel+750+pcie+ssd+1.2tb

I also put in 128gb of ECC memory (watercooled with EKWB of course)

I use it as a NAS to store all of my 3D design projects that I work on at my workplace (google)

it is in a raid 0 configuration

I run it on a windows server application

it draws about 650 watts from the wall when all of the SSD's are on 100% use

I also have it connected to a UPS

i run it 24/7, yes

Servers are only for the deepest of storage enthusiasts, choose wisely 

the case is a custom built brushed aluminum + tempered glass chassis

No one spends $14,000 on processors just for a storage server, plus that motherboard doesn't even support that CPU. Not to mention if you worked at Google, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't let you store their projects on your personal home server. Also hardware engineers don't design servers, network architects do.

I have a QNAP TS-251 with two 8 TB hard drives in RAID 1 that I use for Steam backups, occasional torrenting, media storage and sharing, and system and document backups.

It runs on its stock operating system, which in turn is based on Linux. Its rated power consumption should be around 25W, but with those 2 drives, I'd say 40-ish is more accurate.

If you don't know what to do with your server, probably you're one of those people who don't need one :P

I'm getting an old computer soon for which I'm going to do a build log on how to turn it into a home server too.

Mine is a custom deal in a mATX case. Passive Pentium E5200, 2GB DDR2, 80GB 7200.9 boot drive, 1TB Barracuda media drive, and random 120GB Toshiba 2.5" HDD for data.

This one is used as a NAS, Plex server for movies, TV shows, and music, and then my scratch disk (that's on the 1TB drive)

Mine balls on Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard. No need for Datacenter, so I'm not gonna use my key for it. :P

If I had to guess, maybe 80-90 watts full tilt. Probably in the 30's for idle as the CPU will downclock to ~1.1GHz.

I run mine from the time I get up to when I go to bed, as it's in my room and I don't want to hear it (even though it's still damn near silent because it's only moving ~25CFM of air with a 120mm intake/exhaust and then a 92mm rear exhaust).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

My server is just a crappy Dell Optiplex 745 sitting under the television. I wanted to install ESXi so I can play with a few linux VMs but it doesn't want to play nice with the hardware apparently. So I just threw Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter on it and use it as a development server where I experiment with Domain Controllers, DNS and DHCP. Sometimes I boot up linux VMs in Hyper-V but most of the times, I'm just digging around on the host. I swap hard drives regularly to play around with different OS as well. I got Server 2008, 2008 R2 and 2012 R2. Dropped it 8GB of DDR2 ram I had lying around and upgraded the E6300 to a X3220.

Still thinking of how I can authenticate the wifi in my house with Active Directory. But I'll get to that when I have time.

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

I have 2 servers. A always on everyday HP proliant microserver gen 8 with 16GBs of ram and a upgraded CPU which is now a Xeon 1240 V2 along with TPM, 1 1TB SSD a 4TB HDD and a 5TB HDD. This server runs server 2012 R2 datacenter which I got off Dreamspark as a student and runs DNS, DHCP Active Directory, WDS/WDT, VPN server, IIS and some other server roles. This server also runs hyper V which then runs several virtual machines for my pfsense firewall/router, my SMB server, my remote apps and hopefully soon app V server, an exchange server and an SQL and eventually a system center server.

My other server is an old 4U dell with 4 quad core processors and 128GB ram with some 15K RPM drives. this is not always used but when I do I use it for VM tests and large VM labs which require multiple other virtual machines and test clients.

Neither server performs a backup as I use a dedeated equallogic san to perform backups for all my devices on the network.

On 8/17/2016 at 3:41 AM, leadeater said:

Why do you have a 8 socket CPU package in a 2 socket motherboard? Hope you got that CPU at a major discount.

Also the E7-8890v4 uses the FCLGA2011-1 socket not 2011-3 which that motherboard is so those components are not compatible. Not listed the incorrect newer motherboard revision by mistake?

My mistake, I was trying to respond to the topic quickly. 

10 years of computers and I still mess up

20 minutes ago, thething55 said:

hopefully soon app V server, an exchange server and an SQL and eventually a system center server.

Going to need a ton more ram in that server to run any one of those let alone all of them at once, 16GB not really enough. Your older server has more than enough ram though.