If you have a home server, what are you uses for it?

8 hours ago, MuffinTopMike said:

No one spends $14,000 on processors just for a storage server, plus that motherboard doesn't even support that CPU. Not to mention if you worked at Google, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't let you store their projects on your personal home server. Also hardware engineers don't design servers, network architects do.

1) I have already addressed my mistake with the motherboard compatibility, my apologies. Although, If you knew anything about google, you would know that with a 831A-37 (the color of magenta too btw)  clearance, I'm permitted to store certain projects on my secure personal server, after being approved by the hierarchy 

2) Usually I don't talk to people about how much I make, but you have forced me to tell you that I live alone, and make 156K a year, leaving me plenty of headroom to buy what I want

3) I DON'T DESIGN THE SERVERS. I DESIGN THE CHASSIS/CONTAINMENT FACILITIES

10 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

Except for where that system still doesn't work even with you putting a different board down - why bother bragging on a forum? It doesn't make you look any bigger and better?

9 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

That motherboard doesn't support that CPU or any E7...

I kinda doubt this...

Also, with this thread here, where you have a $3300 budget for a new workstation, I'm having doubts that you have a pair of $7000 processors.

No one spends $14,000 on processors just for a storage server, plus that motherboard doesn't even support that CPU. Not to mention if you worked at Google, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't let you store their projects on your personal home server. Also hardware engineers don't design servers, network architects do.

All this salt. Wow

1) I have already explained that it was my fault with the compatibility of the mobo

2)What I don't understand is why I am getting accused of "lying" about working for google

3)Yes, in January I was interested in a $3300 work station

Time passes and WOW WOULD YOU LOOK AT THAT I GOT PROMOTED

an usually, If I understand correctly, when you increase your paycheck by about 100k a year, and you have no family what so ever, you treat yourself to tech you don't need

4) Why would I take the time to lie about a server when in the end, nobody reading about it would care

5) I use this account name for every platform, including steam and reddit, so why would I risk ruining it + getting possibly laughed about on the pcmr reddit

6) Ya know what, I think I will be posting this on reddit without a proper apology, to show the ignorance of my pcmr brothers when I make A SPEC SHEET MISTAKE

7) Yes, I work at google, and yes, I am allowed to store in progress projects on my SECURE PERSONAL SERVER

8) And muffin top mike, I'm supprised you weren't able to read my post when I said, "DESIGN SERVER CHASSIS"

13 hours ago, Mark77 said:

Not terribly difficult.  You can set your OS to shut down at the times you want.  Through, for instance, a cron script (or whatever the equivalent is under MS-Windows).  Then simply set your BIOS up for automatic startup at certain times.  Most BIOS' have this as a feature.

There may also be a way to automate this all through the ACPI interface.  I know there's people out there who have MythTV machines that will shut themselves down automatically and then start themselves back up according to TV schedules. 

Ok well, I'm going to look into that at the weekend when I have some more time, thanks for suggesting this idea.

11 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

My server is used for transcoding through Plex, and as mass storage for all of my devices, including my smartphone. I even have some Steam games on it. It doesn't really have a make or model as I built it myself, but I'll go through the specs below.

CPU: AMD A8-7600.

CPU cooler: Stock for now, but will be installing my Hyper 212 Evo soon.

Motherboard: ASRock FM2A78M Pro3+

Memory: 16GB of G.Skill budget memory running at 1.3GHz effective.

Storage: 4 WD 1TB Blue hard drives; Two are running in one volume in a RAID 1 config, and the other two are running in another volume, also in a RAID 1 config; OS is stored on a Toshiba 16GB flash drive.

Power supply: Enermax NAXN semi-modular 750W.

Case: Rosewill REDBONE U3.

It also runs 24/7. Power consumption is probably around 200ish watts under full load. The operating system is FreeNAS.

And plex pops up again!:D A Nice little system you got there, where do you keep it, is it quiet enough to keep in your living room like under your tv or anything, like an HTPC?

8 hours ago, Lehti said:

I have a QNAP TS-251 with two 8 TB hard drives in RAID 1 that I use for Steam backups, occasional torrenting, media storage and sharing, and system and document backups.

It runs on its stock operating system, which in turn is based on Linux. Its rated power consumption should be around 25W, but with those 2 drives, I'd say 40-ish is more accurate.

If you don't know what to do with your server, probably you're one of those people who don't need one :P

I'm getting an old computer soon for which I'm going to do a build log on how to turn it into a home server too.

If I ever get a dedicated NAS I think QNAP is definitely the way to go by far. By the sounds of yours, it is perfect for power consumption and has a good number of drives bays :).

7 hours ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Mine is a custom deal in a mATX case. Passive Pentium E5200, 2GB DDR2, 80GB 7200.9 boot drive, 1TB Barracuda media drive, and random 120GB Toshiba 2.5" HDD for data.

This one is used as a NAS, Plex server for movies, TV shows, and music, and then my scratch disk (that's on the 1TB drive)

Mine balls on Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard. No need for Datacenter, so I'm not gonna use my key for it. :P

If I had to guess, maybe 80-90 watts full tilt. Probably in the 30's for idle as the CPU will downclock to ~1.1GHz.

I run mine from the time I get up to when I go to bed, as it's in my room and I don't want to hear it (even though it's still damn near silent because it's only moving ~25CFM of air with a 120mm intake/exhaust and then a 92mm rear exhaust).

Very nice, i might try and get a smaller system like this to go in my room like you have and just turn it on in the morning and off at night. Would work better for me.

6 hours ago, Geralt said:

My server is just a crappy Dell Optiplex 745 sitting under the television. I wanted to install ESXi so I can play with a few linux VMs but it doesn't want to play nice with the hardware apparently. So I just threw Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter on it and use it as a development server where I experiment with Domain Controllers, DNS and DHCP. Sometimes I boot up linux VMs in Hyper-V but most of the times, I'm just digging around on the host. I swap hard drives regularly to play around with different OS as well. I got Server 2008, 2008 R2 and 2012 R2. Dropped it 8GB of DDR2 ram I had lying around and upgraded the E6300 to a X3220.

Still thinking of how I can authenticate the wifi in my house with Active Directory. But I'll get to that when I have time.

Ah right, so just a machine to mess about with. I like how most/many people must get Windows Server 2012 R2 and R2 Datacenter for free :D.

43 minutes ago, thething55 said:

I have 2 servers. A always on everyday HP proliant microserver gen 8 with 16GBs of ram and a upgraded CPU which is now a Xeon 1240 V2 along with TPM, 1 1TB SSD a 4TB HDD and a 5TB HDD. This server runs server 2012 R2 datacenter which I got off Dreamspark as a student and runs DNS, DHCP Active Directory, WDS/WDT, VPN server, IIS and some other server roles. This server also runs hyper V which then runs several virtual machines for my pfsense firewall/router, my SMB server, my remote apps and hopefully soon app V server, an exchange server and an SQL and eventually a system center server.

My other server is an old 4U dell with 4 quad core processors and 128GB ram with some 15K RPM drives. this is not always used but when I do I use it for VM tests and large VM labs which require multiple other virtual machines and test clients.

Neither server performs a backup as I use a dedeated equallogic san to perform backups for all my devices on the network.

Nice! A legal copy of Windows Server, cool :D:P. What do you host or share with/on your SMB Server? As for that other server, damn, 128gb ram! Crazy compared to what I have.

Just now, lukesterboy said:

Ah right, so just a machine to mess about with. I like how most/many people must get Windows Server 2012 R2 and R2 Datacenter for free :D.

Since my school has access to Dreamspark to download the OS why not go for broke and install datacenter right? xD

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

11 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

Except for where that system still doesn't work even with you putting a different board down - why bother bragging on a forum? It doesn't make you look any bigger and better?

9 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

That motherboard doesn't support that CPU or any E7...

I kinda doubt this...

Also, with this thread here, where you have a $3300 budget for a new workstation, I'm having doubts that you have a pair of $7000 processors.

41 minutes ago, sgtrecker78 said:

My mistake, I was trying to respond to the topic quickly. 

10 years of computers and I still mess up

Don't want to get caught up in all of this but it is a bit sketchy, a lot of money on a home/storage server. Anyway, if you actually have it, nice.

2 minutes ago, Geralt said:

Since my school has access to Dreamspark to download the OS why not go for broke and install datacenter right? xD

What is Dreamspark :D?

Don't want to get caught up in all of this but it is a bit sketchy, a lot of money on a home/storage server. Anyway, if you actually have it, nice.

thanks man!

idk why everyone is freaking out that I have money to burn

1 minute ago, lukesterboy said:

It's like a subscription thing where you can get all the stuff needed for development. Everything from OSes down to IDEs like Visual Studio for free.

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

2 minutes ago, lukesterboy said:

If you have an email address that is for a educational institute, school or tertiary, you can sign up to Microsoft DreamSpark for free license keys. 

54 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Going to need a ton more ram in that server to run any one of those let alone all of them at once, 16GB not really enough. Your older server has more than enough ram though.

Very true, however, since I am the single user (excluding DNS, PFsense and DHCP) of these features I don't need them to run well 

18 minutes ago, lukesterboy said:

Nice! A legal copy of Windows Server, cool :D:P. What do you host or share with/on your SMB Server? As for that other server, damn, 128gb ram! Crazy compared to what I have.

I just use it as a quick way of pulling files I need in a pinch over the internet. If I am ever away from home but need a file then I remote desktop into my host and copy whatever file(s) I need into a directory on my SMB server which is port forward over the internet. It's not very secure but for general files its fine and any risk should hopefully be mostly contained within the dedicated VM. I might switch to FTP at some point but I haven't had time yet.

54 minutes ago, sgtrecker78 said:

1) I have already addressed my mistake with the motherboard compatibility, my apologies.

Yeah see I don't think you follow.  You CHANGED the mobo but you changed it for ANOTHER incompatible mobo.  While you did pick a Socket 2011-3 mobo on your second try for your pretend server, the mobo itself still doesn't support your CPU.  It has the right SOCKET but it doesn't actually support any E7s.  So this would be TWICE you've said your server was running a mobo that can't run it's CPU.

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

Yeah see I don't think you follow.  You CHANGED the mobo but you changed it for ANOTHER incompatible mobo.  While you did pick a Socket 2011-3 mobo on your second try for your pretend server, the mobo itself still doesn't support your CPU.  It has the right SOCKET but it doesn't actually support any E7s.  So this would be TWICE you've said your server was running a mobo that can't run it's CPU.

And this would be TWICE that a HUMAN makes a mistake citing which motherboard he has, you most be insanely jealous to keep attacking me about this

salty?

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

how much research did you do to find out it wasn't compatible with E7's JUST so you could prove me wrong.

Just now, sgtrecker78 said:

And this would be TWICE that a HUMAN makes a mistake citing which motherboard he has, you most be insanely jealous to keep attacking me about this

salty?

So your counter is that you have built machine, citee the exact model of workstation board it was using, twice, and twice somehow gotten it wrong?  All while also claiming to be a big server guy for Google who should really know this stuff.  You're making it up.  ...But I'd love to see a photo of it if it's real. :)

24 minutes ago, sgtrecker78 said:

thanks man!

idk why everyone is freaking out that I have money to burn

Personally I don't care what anyone spends, just can't figure out why you would pay for a E7-8890v4 for a 2 socket system when there is an E5-2699v4 for half the price which is designed for dual socket systems and only has 2 less cores but a higher turbo.

I also have to wonder why you would have all that SSD storage for NAS use without 10Gb networking.

I guess my main issue is that this looks nothing more than going to amazon/pcpartpicker, sorting by highest price then going "yea I have these". Also anyone that knows anything about servers would never get the specs wrong, and would never use an Asus motherboard.

This is the internet after all, skepticism is the default and personally I'm not going to believe you have that system configuration without seeing a photo of it.

26 minutes ago, Geralt said:

It's like a subscription thing where you can get all the stuff needed for development. Everything from OSes down to IDEs like Visual Studio for free.

Oh right and you college can just give you Os's and Microsoft office etc for free?

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

I guess my main issue is that this looks nothing more than going to amazon/pcpartpicker, sorting by highest price then going "yea I have these". Also anyone that knows anything about servers would never get the specs wrong, and would never use an Asus motherboard.

This is the internet after all, skepticism is the default and personally I'm not going to believe you have that system configuration without seeing a photo of it.

Prett much this.  It's not a criticism of the price, it's that the price of the CPUs alone makes it questionable when one had a much, MUCH lower budget set for a full blown workstation.  It reads like a fantasy build by some kid on the internet who wants to seem like 'a big deal', especially since he's TWICE said it had incompatible motherboards.  My guess would be he doesn't understand that at the higher end workstation/enterprise level, compatibility can come down to more than just the socket, so his second guess was a 2011-3 mobo without knowing that the CPU still wouldn't be supported.  After all, this is something you don't often encounter in consumer builds with new parts.  Even when you encounter it in consumer space, like say an Ivy Bridge CPU in an older Cougar Point chipset motherboard, there's a BIOS update that will grant compatibility.  His second pretend mobo does not have any firmware that would offer compatibility with E7s.

Oh right and you college can just give you Os's and Microsoft office etc for free?

Yep. We have access to those for our 3 years in school. The licenses will expire after I graduate tho

~~~SnapDragon~~~

When did I claim to not have integrated 10Gb networking, I assumed everyone would Assume that as such,

I posted this to the thread in honesty, and I could care less if you believed me or not, I mean, who would?

and how many times have I said that I messed up with the mobo, I'm sorry ok? I know I shouldn't be getting stuff like that wrong but isn't it ok for me to make mistakes

and to you, Ashley, I never claimed to be a "big server guy" I only claimed to design the chassis/where we store our units,

yes, I am pretty good with servers, but not good enough to not make a mistake on a post + wouldn't pcpartpicker tell me my parts were not compatible Moderator?

That's all I have to say, but I won't admit to lying or please you with a picture

10 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

So your counter is that you have built machine, citee the exact model of workstation board it was using, twice, and twice somehow gotten it wrong?  All while also claiming to be a big server guy for Google who should really know this stuff.  You're making it up.  ...But I'd love to see a photo of it if it's real. :)

8 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Personally I don't care what anyone spends, just can't figure out why you would pay for a E7-8890v4 for a 2 socket system when there is an E5-2699v4 for half the price which is designed for dual socket systems and only has 2 less cores but a higher turbo.

I also have to wonder why you would have all that SSD storage for NAS use without 10Gb networking.

5 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Prett much this.  It's not a criticism of the price, it's that the price of the CPUs alone makes it questionable when one had a much, MUCH lower budget set for a full blown workstation.  It reads like a fantasy build by some kid on the internet who wants to seem like 'a big deal', especially since he's TWICE said it had incompatible motherboards.  My guess would be he doesn't understand that at the higher end workstation/enterprise level, compatibility can come down to more than just the socket, so his second guess was a 2011-3 mobo without knowing that the CPU still wouldn't be supported.  After all, this is something you don't often encounter in consumer builds with new parts.  Even when you encounter it in consumer space, like say an Ivy Bridge CPU in an older Cougar Point chipset motherboard, there's a BIOS update that will grant compatibility.  His second pretend mobo does not have any firmware that would offer compatibility with E7s.

SO I'M A KID NOW

ok then

@AshleyAshes

Best to just drop it, we're both derailing the thread and it's becoming unproductive. We can reserve our right to not believe everything we read and move on.

28 minutes ago, sgtrecker78 said:

how much research did you do to find out it wasn't compatible with E7's JUST so you could prove me wrong.

Compatible CPU list is on the product page at Asus.  The information is made widely available for the exact purpose of ensuring that no one buys an incompatible CPU.  If you're as 'big' into this stuff as you claim to be, you should know this already.  Why don't you know this already?

So anyway, we're still waiting on you to Google up a third pretend motherboard.  Right now you're in a holding pattern at 'I made a second mistake!' but you've been yet to even attempt to correct it.  I mean, you BUILT this, you should know what's in it.

Just now, leadeater said:

@AshleyAshes

Best to just drop it, we're both derailing the thread and it's becoming unproductive. We can reserve our right to not believe everything we read and move on.

Okies

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

Compatible CPU list is on the product page at Asus.  The information is made widely available for the exact purpose of ensuring that no one buys an incompatible CPU.  If you're as 'big' into this stuff as you claim to be, you should know this already.  Why don't you know this already?

So anyway, we're still waiting on you to Google up a third pretend motherboard.  Right now you're in a holding pattern at 'I made a second mistake!' but you've been yet to even attempt to correct it.  I mean, you BUILT this, you should know what's in it.

ok

Ill show you my mobo if that's what you want

8 minutes ago, leadeater said:

@AshleyAshes

I agree too guys, please leave it at this! I love how this thread started off but it's not going so well now. All I wanted to just see what systems people are running and what uses they have for it. I didn't want a Spec war! Thanks. 

If anyone else has their systems to share please feel free, I love the systems that are converted compact desktop PC's like Dell Optiplex machines turned into plex servers!