If you have a home server, what are you uses for it?

As the title says if you have a home server(s) then tell me:

• What server is it, make and model (e.g. HP DL380 G5)?
  • What do you use it for mainly (NAS, DNS, Router, etc)?
  • What do you run on it (ESXi, windows server, etc)
  • What is the power consumption of your server?
  • How long do you run it for (24/7, 2 hours a day, etc)?
  • Suggest me ideas that I could do with my server, want to mess around with it but have no idea what to do.
  • Anything else you have to say?

Also, does anyone have an HP ProLiant DL380 Generation 5 (G5)?

Home brewed server.  Undervolted Intel i5 2300, P67 motherboard, Radeon HD 5450, 8GB of RAM, Corsair 750D case.  It has a 2TB system/temp storage drive and about 23.5TB of media storage

It's mainly a NAS but it also runs all of my networked services.  MySQL, SickBeard, CouchPotato, SABNZBD, Transmission, and stuff like that.

It runs Windows 10 Professional

Power consumption when idle is about 45w, when all drives are spinning, about 100w when spinning all drives, more when spinning them all up concurrently.

It runs 24/7.

If you need ideas on what to use a server for, I'm not sure you need a server.  You should have a need before you find the solution to that need.

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

Home brewed server.  Undervolted Intel i5 2300, P67 motherboard, Radeon HD 5450, 8GB of RAM, Corsair 750D case.  It has a 2TB system/temp storage drive and about 23.5TB of media storage

It's mainly a NAS but it also runs all of my networked services.  MySQL, SickBeard, CouchPotato, SABNZBD, Transmission, and stuff like that.

It runs Windows 10 Professional

Power consumption when idle is about 45w, when all drives are spinning, about 100w when spinning all drives, more when spinning them all up concurrently.

It runs 24/7.

If you need ideas on what to use a server for, I'm not sure you need a server.  You should have a need before you find the solution to that need.

Yey my first reply, quick too! Your server sounds like a monster. 24TB! Is that running in any sort of raid and how much of that have you actually filled up?

I've heard of the program transmission before what exactly does that do?

As for the rest of your server, nice, good power consumption!

Ahaha well, i have some ideas, I want to mess around with AD, use it as my router (pfSense), run Minecraft server, and mini NAS. Need to get more drives for it first, though.

My new toy : 

X2 Intel Xeon E5-2670 (16 core 32 thread)  

Intel S2600CPJ Motherboard 

Samsung 128GB ECC DDDR3 1600Mhz (16 x 8GB )
LSI 9207-8I RAID Controller (IT mode) 

X2 Intel 750W 80+ Platinum redundant PSU's 

Intel P4000M series case.

-----

I use ESXi for the host OS to allow me to run my lab work, personal use (ESXi,Deban etc...). I have a bit of a hybrid setup in that I pass through my LSI 9207 to a FreeNAS VM that in turn hosts my NFS LUN's back to ESXi and I use them to store all my other VM's.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

An older i3 based office desktop with a mish mash of drives. Currently tearing down to replace with a low power ARM based unit (Either Synology DS416j, QNAP TS-431 or Netgear RS104) running a matched set of Hitachi ultrastars in Raid5

NAS mainly, It WAS a plex host but I now use my Nvidia Shield to transcode hence the downgrade of power requirement, Occasional VPN Permanent TS3, Occasional game server. Losing these last 2 functions.

Win Server 2012

To damn much. Hoping to minimise consumption using ARM based components in future, shield only takes 1watt at idle compared to ~100w for my old rig.

24/7

• Suggest me ideas that I could do with my server, want to mess around with it but have no idea what to do.

NAS is awesome for backing up data and moving the need for storage away from your main PC. I couldnt live without my Plex movie collection nowdays its just so damn convienient.

I like trains.

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact

Well i got to reply dont I lol.

Server 1

HP DL380 G6 2x6core xeons and 72GB ddr3 ram and a 961 ssd.

Server 2

HP DL165 G7 dual 12core amd cpus, 48GB ram and samsung ssd.

Server 3

HP DL380 G5 dual dual core xeons, 12GB ram and 2 36GB raid. (OP Router lol)

CPU: I7-6700k @ 4.7ghz Memery: 16GB HyperX DDR4 GPU: GTX TITAN X OC MotherBoard: Gigabyte Z170A Gaming 6 SSD: 1-Kingston 120Gb    1-PNY 240GB HDD: 1-WD 1T, 1-Seagate 750GB CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i GTX PSU: Corsair HX850 Case: Corsair 760T White Edition

2 minutes ago, lukesterboy said:

Yey my first reply, quick too! Your server sounds like a monster. 24TB! Is that running in any sort of raid and how much of that have you actually filled up?

I've heard of the program transmission before what exactly does that do?

It was built over time to hold my media collection.  It started in 2011 as a combo HTPC/Storage machine with a single 2TB Drive and grew from there.  It eventually became a dedicated machine (With HTPC responsibilities given to another computer in a super awesome pink case. :3) with the large Corsair 750D case just this past winter.  Right now it has 3.95TB free.  I'm using DriveBender right now which just pools the drives.  There is no redundancy.  I'm thinking of moving to FlexRAID and already have a spare 8TB drive purchased to act as a parity drive, I just haven't found the motivation to overhaul the whole storage platform now.

Transmission is just a torrent client, with a client/server type interface, so the program itself is running on the server, but I can use other instances of transmission on other machines to log into that instance and remotely operate it.  So while I have Transmission open on my workstation here, it's really just commanding the instance that is remotely located on the server.  SickBeard, CouchPotato and SABNZBD are all for the automated downloading of TV and movies, which it does for me.

Yes, I do own a server, a self mad one, in fact

i use 2 

Intel Xeon Processor E7-8890 v4 (24 cores each)

I use an

ASUS Z10PA-D8 ATX Server Motherboard Dual LGA 2011-3 DDR4 (motherboard)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1N84684899&cm_re=server_motherboard_DDR4-_-13-132-258-_-Product

I placed 5 intel 750 1.2tb SSD's in it, and proceeded to water cool them with EKWB I

(These 5 SS'd are separate form the 2 in my pc)

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-PCIe-1-2TB-Internal-SSDPEDMW012T4R5/dp/B00UHJJQ3Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471388426&sr=8-1&keywords=intel+750+pcie+ssd+1.2tb

I also put in 128gb of ECC memory (watercooled with EKWB of course)

I use it as a NAS to store all of my 3D design projects that I work on at my workplace (google)

it is in a raid 0 configuration

I run it on a windows server application

it draws about 650 watts from the wall when all of the SSD's are on 100% use

I also have it connected to a UPS

i run it 24/7, yes

Servers are only for the deepest of storage enthusiasts, choose wisely 

the case is a custom built brushed aluminum + tempered glass chassis

Edited by sgtrecker78
Wrong mobo derp, I use an asus

4 minutes ago, sgtrecker78 said:

Yes, I do own a server, a self mad one, in fact

i use 2 

I use a

ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16 SSI EEB Server Motherboard Dual LGA 2011 Intel C602 DDR3 1600/1333/1066(motherboard)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157350

I placed 5 intel 750 1.2tb SSD's in it, and proceeded to water cool them with EKWB I

(These 5 SS'd are separate form the 2 in my pc)

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-PCIe-1-2TB-Internal-SSDPEDMW012T4R5/dp/B00UHJJQ3Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471388426&sr=8-1&keywords=intel+750+pcie+ssd+1.2tb

I also put in 128gb of corsair dominator platinum (watercooled with EKWB of course)

I use it as a NAS to store all of my 3D design projects that I work on at my workplace (google)

it is in a raid 0 configuration

I run it on a windows server application

it draws about 650 watts from the wall when all of the SSD's are on 100% use

I also have it connected to a UPS

i run it 24/7, yes

Servers are only for the deepest of storage enthusiasts, choose wisely 

Wow, you seem like you went all out on this server, you must have an important use for it! Is this at your home or work?

28 minutes ago, lukesterboy said:

• Custom Build (E3 1230v2, SuperMicro X9, 32gb ECC, 14TB Storage, CX500m, Source 210, UPS).
  • NAS/Media Server
  • FreeNAS
  • 100w~ 
  • 24 hours a day, 365 days a year

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, lukesterboy said:

Wow, you seem like you went all out on this server, you must have an important use for it! Is this at your home or work?

it is my personal home server, bought with my own money, to store work projects that I work on at home

17 minutes ago, Altecice said:

My new toy : 

X2 Intel Xeon E5-2670 (16 core 32 thread)  

Intel S2600CPJ Motherboard 

Samsung 128GB ECC DDDR3 1600Mhz (16 x 8GB )
LSI 9207-8I RAID Controller (IT mode) 

X2 Intel 750W 80+ Platinum redundant PSU's 

Intel P4000M series case.

-----

I use ESXi for the host OS to allow me to run my lab work, personal use (ESXi,Deban etc...). I have a bit of a hybrid setup in that I pass through my LSI 9207 to a FreeNAS VM that in turn hosts my NFS LUN's back to ESXi and I use them to store all my other VM's.

Nice.

16 minutes ago, CtrlAltELITE said:

An older i3 based office desktop with a mish mash of drives. Currently tearing down to replace with a low power ARM based unit (Either Synology DS416j, QNAP TS-431 or Netgear RS104) running a matched set of Hitachi ultrastars in Raid5

NAS mainly, It WAS a plex host but I now use my Nvidia Shield to transcode hence the downgrade of power requirement, Occasional VPN Permanent TS3, Occasional game server. Losing these last 2 functions.

Win Server 2012

To damn much. Hoping to minimise consumption using ARM based components in future, shield only takes 1watt at idle compared to ~100w for my old rig.

24/7

NAS is awesome for backing up data and moving the need for storage away from your main PC. I couldnt live without my Plex movie collection nowdays its just so damn convienient.

I like trains.

Very nice! What is this house in? I like how you used the last question very wisely.

12 minutes ago, redbaron28 said:

Well i got to reply dont I lol.

Server 1

HP DL380 G6 2x6core xeons and 72GB ddr3 ram and a 961 ssd.

Server 2

HP DL165 G7 dual 12core amd cpus, 48GB ram and samsung ssd.

Server 3

HP DL380 G5 dual dual core xeons, 12GB ram and 2 36GB raid. (OP Router lol)

How is your experience with the HP DL380 G5? What Xeon's is this running? 36GB raid? :D wow. Is this only used for a router

12 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

It was built over time to hold my media collection.  It started in 2011 as a combo HTPC/Storage machine with a single 2TB Drive and grew from there.  It eventually became a dedicated machine (With HTPC responsibilities given to another computer in a super awesome pink case. :3) with the large Corsair 750D case just this past winter.  Right now it has 3.95TB free.  I'm using DriveBender right now which just pools the drives.  There is no redundancy.  I'm thinking of moving to FlexRAID and already have a spare 8TB drive purchased to act as a parity drive, I just haven't found the motivation to overhaul the whole storage platform now.

Transmission is just a torrent client, with a client/server type interface, so the program itself is running on the server, but I can use other instances of transmission on other machines to log into that instance and remotely operate it.  So while I have Transmission open on my workstation here, it's really just commanding the instance that is remotely located on the server.  SickBeard, CouchPotato and SABNZBD are all for the automated downloading of TV and movies, which it does for me.

Ah cool. I'll have to try out Transmission, sounds like something I would use. "SickBeard, CouchPotato and SABNZBD" Automated how so and what for, how do they know what to download?

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:
  • Custom Build (E3 1230v2, SuperMicro X9, 32gb ECC, 14TB Storage, CX500m, Source 210, UPS).
  • NAS/Media Server
  • FreeNAS
  • 100w~ 
  • 24 hours a day, 365 days a year

Nice. 100w is still a lot after I've down some calculating 100w is 100w x 24hours is 2400w or 2.4kw and the average cost of electricity here in the UK is £0.14p so 2.4 x 0.14 = £0.336 a day. Or £2.35 a week Or £10.41 a month Or £122.64 a year!!!!! OUCH!

3 minutes ago, sgtrecker78 said:

it is my personal home server, bought with my own money, to store work projects that I work on at home

Very nice, must have a well-paid job and some pretty important work projects! Mind mentioning a few and what they do/are?

I am a hardware engineer at google, and every day of the year we are working on more efficient ways to house our servers, such as new chassis/server rooms etc, and I am constantly working on new designs as we are constantly getting bigger. I also work on designing some of google's new projects (which I cannot mention in the slightest) that require constant design + redesign before being released to the public.

10 minutes ago, lukesterboy said:

Nice. 100w is still a lot after I've down some calculating 100w is 100w x 24hours is 2400w or 2.4kw and the average cost of electricity here in the UK is £0.14p so 2.4 x 0.14 = £0.336 a day. Or £2.35 a week Or £10.41 a month Or £122.64 a year!!!!! OUCH!

100w really isn't that much. It's basically impossible to get below 50w if you want any storage even if you are using something extremely low power like a Raspberry Pi.

The HDDs pull about 5w each and I have 4 drives right now. So that's 20w. The 1230v2 pulls around 40w at idle (100w at load), so that's....say 70w~ since it's idling most of the time. Add in the fans and the power draw of the rest of the system (motherboard/RAM) -- 15w (?). That brings the total up to 85w. Then factor in the efficiency of the PSU (83%~), which brings it to 100w~. Since I've never actually measured the actual power draw, I tend to err on the high side. So it costs about $115/year (£88/year). Which is pretty cheap if you consider how much 14TB of cloud storage and Netflix/Hulu would cost you. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

7 minutes ago, lukesterboy said:

Ah cool. I'll have to try out Transmission, sounds like something I would use. "SickBeard, CouchPotato and SABNZBD" Automated how so and what for, how do they know what to download?

Due to the nature of the three programs, I really shouldn't answer that on LTT.  They have their own websites for you to Google up though.

59 minutes ago, lukesterboy said:

CASE: SuperMicro 846E1-R900B (24 3.5" Bays)
PSU: SuperMicro PWS-920P-SQ 920W (Only one for now, will purchase the other one for redundancy later...I do have the two original 900W PSUs that came with the chassis, but they're too loud)
MB: SuperMicro MBD-X10SRA-O
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2695V3 (14 core, 28 thread, 2.2GHz, 2.5GHz on Turbo)
GPU: AMD FirePro V7900

HS: Cooler Master Hyper D92
RAM: 32GB (16GB x 2) Crucial DDR4 ECC 2133MHz Server RAM
RAID CARD 1: LSI MegaRAID 9260-CV 8i
SSD: 480 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro (OS and programs)
HDD 1: 6x 4TB Western Digital Red
HDD 2: 8x 4TB Western Digital RE SAS

It's mainly a NAS (Yeah, that Xeon laughs all day at 5% CPU usage or lower)...but I'll use it to work on coding and content creation because the Xeon eats my 2500K (OC to 4.6GHz) alive when it comes to content creation work...It also renders from time to time.

According to my Eaton UPS, it uses 300W constantly, but on initial startup, it surge pulls 450W to get all of the drives going. It also gets really hot in my room compared to the rest of the house (My room is on average 10F hotter than the rest of the house with the door closed).

I try to run it 24/7...but I can't say that because I've had to restart the server numerous times because of Windows Server updates or some strange driver issue where the server refuses to take in any mouse click inputs (It happens randomly too). I also remote connect to it at college to write notes / do programming / see how many people I can trick into think my laptop has a 14 core Xeon and 56TB of storage (Sadly it's worked...in the computer science classroom too...).

I'm not really sure what you could do with your server, it does what you want / how you spec it to be.

1 hour ago, lukesterboy said:

my home server nas/plex server with kvm vms .

custom built

case nzxt mid tower (has 8hdd slots  3 x 5.25 bays) plan on sticking up to 20hdd in the case .

psu evga 500w B

MB asus m5a78l-m/usb3

cpu amd 8320e

ram 2x8gb ddr3

hdd 2x wd red 2tb , 160gb boot drive hdd

os centos 7

been on 24/7 for over a month now .

it eats somewhere under 350VA its a pig

if you got alot of movies host plex for your self/friends, also  can do the stuff to help the research thingy im having a brain fart on whats it called . run vms game servers .

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

2 hours ago, sgtrecker78 said:

I am a hardware engineer at google, and every day of the year we are working on more efficient ways to house our servers, such as new chassis/server rooms etc, and I am constantly working on new designs as we are constantly getting bigger. I also work on designing some of google's new projects (which I cannot mention in the slightest) that require constant design + redesign before being released to the public.

Whats your current rating

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

Home brew which started out life as a Pentium-66 (yes, the 5V variety!) but has grown/been upgraded over the years (with only a couple components being from the 1990s!).  i7-2600 CPU, Supermicro X9SAE-V motherboard.  Supermicro 5-disk Mobile Rack.  Hitachi 7200rpm 2Tb drives.  2 TV tuner cards.  A PCI-E SCSI card.   Enlight EN-7250 case.  16gb RAM.  Runs Linux as its bare metal OS.  Runs virtualization ontop of it with a Windows XP and a Linux VM.  Also runs MythTV (basically an OTA PVR with ad removal capability), a few servers (time, tftp, email, remote syslog, etc.), a VPN server, IMAP server (with about 20 gigabytes of email), Samba/CIFS, http, print server, scanner server, fax server, telephony server (through Asterisk), runs some custom written code for RF broadcast reception.  Also servers up iSCSI to a couple clients (that boot from it).  And has some 802.11n radios in it to function as a wireless access point.  As well, has a 4G LTE radio for emergency connectivity in case my primary Internet connection goes down and for time synchronization with GPS clocking.  It also has a DNS server which filters out large amounts of spam and ad-filled hosts from being resolvable by my internal network's machines.

It has a few 'active' workloads as well.  Such as transmitting random search terms to Google basically on a 24/7 basis on the various IPs that I use, a few an hour, but at random intervals.  So they can't build a profile on me based on my searches or monitor my usage without sorting through the 'noise'. 

Looking to do some code in the not-so-distant future to have sprinklers running off of it (with some interfacing with Internet weather forecasts and a 'wetness' sensor), and have a project ongoing to add video surveillance to its workload.  Despite all of this, it really doesn't touch the i7 CPU's capabilities unless it is doing backups (spends most of its time at 5-10% CPU except backups).  In which case the compression pegs the 4/8 cores.  Also looking to do a IPV6-aware, ipv6-tunnel attached firewall/router in a VM (currently my network infrastructure is ipv4-only capable!).

I haven't put the Watts Up on it yet, but I suspect consumption is in the 90W area.  Owing to the excellent energy efficiency of Sandy Bridge.

edit:  its cool that someone else has an X9SAE here.  Great board so far, even though I bought mine used for cheap.  I struggle to decide whether its worthwhile to retrofit a Xeon E3 into my setup and go with ECC or not.  I bought the i7-2600 basically the week they came out, and Xeons weren't an option at the time.

edit:  all disks are in RAID-1.  I don't fool around with the other RAID levels, or hard drives at all.  It also serves as the backup server for a number of desktops.  No SSDs yet, although it does have a 2 x 2.5" mounting bays for hot-swapping SSDs, although they're currently occupied by old/used laptop HDDs.

Self built from old components from my old desktop, specs are:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955

RAM: 16GB

PSU: 500w (kinda overkill but couldnt find lower wattage)

HDD: Raid 1 array with 2 3TB WD Reds (holds my media collection and backups)

Old 160gb and 250gb HDD for general storage, OS, etc

I run a Plex server, owncloud, game servers when i need them, and a samba share to store my nvidia shadowplay recordings for a bit more long term storage.

The OS is Linux Debian

Power consumption, im not sure really. The CPU isnt the most power efficient.

I run it 24/7

Not sure what you can do with yours, you usually get a server to solve a need you have. If you dont have one, you probably wont need one.

Anything else to say? i suppose dont be scared to learn how to use the command line :)

7 hours ago, lukesterboy said:

I have an old Dell R310 running with a Xeon X3440, 4 core, 8 threads + 12GB Samsung ECC 1333MHz and 200GB 7200RPM SATA.

Mainly used to host a couple of teamspeak servers, dedicated servers and other services for the clan.

It runs with Windows 10 pro, 64 bit.

No idea about the power consumption fra the wall at the moment, but it has a PSU with a max at 350 watt.

It runs 24/7 unless it need maintence (rarely needed)

If it is powerfull enough, run serverals VM on it, make it to a nas or combine those two suggestions.

Main Machine:

Spoiler

Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV • i7-6700K • Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo • Asus Maximus viii Ranger • 16GB Corsair LPX 3000MHz • 2x EVGA GTX1070 • Samsung 970 EVO 1TB + 860 QVO 1TB + 4TB HDD • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2, 80 PLUS Platinum • 1x ASUS MG279Q 1x Samsung S27A350H 1x Samsung S27B750V • Xtrfy XG-K2-RGB • Logitech G502

Lan Machine:

Spoiler

Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV ITX • i5-4460 • Stock Cooler • Asus H81I-PLUS • 8GB Kingston Hyperx Fury 1600MHz • Sapphire 290 TRI-X "OC" • A400 240GB SSD + 1TB HDD • Corsair CX650M

Main Server:

Spoiler

Unraid 6.8.3 • Inter-Tech IPC 4U-4424 • ASUS PRO WS X570-ACE • Ryzen 9 3900X • 32GB DDR4 • 4TB Parity • 20TB Array total • 2x 240GB SSD Cache

Nas Server:

Spoiler

Unraid 6.8.3 • Silverstone DS380 • Asrock Q2900-ITX • Pentium J2900 • 4GB DDR3 • 3TB Parity • 5.5TB Array total

5 hours ago, ttam said:

Whats your current rating

my satisfaction rates on my 3D renders/projects?

8 hours ago, sgtrecker78 said:

I use an

ASUS Z10PA-D8 ATX Server Motherboard Dual LGA 2011-3 DDR4 (motherboard)

Why do you have a 8 socket CPU package in a 2 socket motherboard? Hope you got that CPU at a major discount.

Also the E7-8890v4 uses the FCLGA2011-1 socket not 2011-3 which that motherboard is so those components are not compatible. Not listed the incorrect newer motherboard revision by mistake?

9 hours ago, sgtrecker78 said:

Wow sounds very interesting. You can be my inside man at google. I would love to work at Google one day. Do actually have access to a google data center or anything then?

9 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

100w really isn't that much. It's basically impossible to get below 50w if you want any storage even if you are using something extremely low power like a Raspberry Pi.

The HDDs pull about 5w each and I have 4 drives right now. So that's 20w. The 1230v2 pulls around 40w at idle (100w at load), so that's....say 70w~ since it's idling most of the time. Add in the fans and the power draw of the rest of the system (motherboard/RAM) -- 15w (?). That brings the total up to 85w. Then factor in the efficiency of the PSU (83%~), which brings it to 100w~. Since I've never actually measured the actual power draw, I tend to err on the high side. So it costs about $115/year (£88/year). Which is pretty cheap if you consider how much 14TB of cloud storage and Netflix/Hulu would cost you. 

Yes, that is very true I'm sure home server hosting does work out a lot cheaper than paying for an online service I guess the only downside is accessing it when you not on the same network. Sure you can forward it out but if you have a slow upload then unlucky because with Netflix your not going to have that problem :D

9 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

Due to the nature of the three programs, I really shouldn't answer that on LTT.  They have their own websites for you to Google up though.

Ok, that I see what you mean. It's fine I'll google them.

8 hours ago, scottyseng said:

CASE: SuperMicro 846E1-R900B (24 3.5" Bays)
PSU: SuperMicro PWS-920P-SQ 920W (Only one for now, will purchase the other one for redundancy later...I do have the two original 900W PSUs that came with the chassis, but they're too loud)
MB: SuperMicro MBD-X10SRA-O
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2695V3 (14 core, 28 thread, 2.2GHz, 2.5GHz on Turbo)
GPU: AMD FirePro V7900

HS: Cooler Master Hyper D92
RAM: 32GB (16GB x 2) Crucial DDR4 ECC 2133MHz Server RAM
RAID CARD 1: LSI MegaRAID 9260-CV 8i
SSD: 480 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro (OS and programs)
HDD 1: 6x 4TB Western Digital Red
HDD 2: 8x 4TB Western Digital RE SAS

It's mainly a NAS (Yeah, that Xeon laughs all day at 5% CPU usage or lower)...but I'll use it to work on coding and content creation because the Xeon eats my 2500K (OC to 4.6GHz) alive when it comes to content creation work...It also renders from time to time.

According to my Eaton UPS, it uses 300W constantly, but on initial startup, it surge pulls 450W to get all of the drives going. It also gets really hot in my room compared to the rest of the house (My room is on average 10F hotter than the rest of the house with the door closed).

I try to run it 24/7...but I can't say that because I've had to restart the server numerous times because of Windows Server updates or some strange driver issue where the server refuses to take in any mouse click inputs (It happens randomly too). I also remote connect to it at college to write notes / do programming / see how many people I can trick into think my laptop has a 14 core Xeon and 56TB of storage (Sadly it's worked...in the computer science classroom too...).

I'm not really sure what you could do with your server, it does what you want / how you spec it to be.

14 Cores, Jesus! Ahaha good pranks! Maybe to get more out of that overkill CPU you could run ESXi on it. Why did you get that CPU by the way? :D 

8 hours ago, gamerking said:

my home server nas/plex server with kvm vms .

custom built

case nzxt mid tower (has 8hdd slots  3 x 5.25 bays) plan on sticking up to 20hdd in the case .

psu evga 500w B

MB asus m5a78l-m/usb3

cpu amd 8320e

ram 2x8gb ddr3

hdd 2x wd red 2tb , 160gb boot drive hdd

os centos 7

been on 24/7 for over a month now .

it eats somewhere under 350VA its a pig

if you got alot of movies host plex for your self/friends, also  can do the stuff to help the research thingy im having a brain fart on whats it called . run vms game servers .

Cool. I would use plex put its costs money and there is plenty of other solutions. What is 350VA, 350W?

6 hours ago, Mark77 said:

Home brew which started out life as a Pentium-66 (yes, the 5V variety!) but has grown/been upgraded over the years (with only a couple components being from the 1990s!).  i7-2600 CPU, Supermicro X9SAE-V motherboard.  Supermicro 5-disk Mobile Rack.  Hitachi 7200rpm 2Tb drives.  2 TV tuner cards.  A PCI-E SCSI card.   Enlight EN-7250 case.  16gb RAM.  Runs Linux as its bare metal OS.  Runs virtualization ontop of it with a Windows XP and a Linux VM.  Also runs MythTV (basically an OTA PVR with ad removal capability), a few servers (time, tftp, email, remote syslog, etc.), a VPN server, IMAP server (with about 20 gigabytes of email), Samba/CIFS, http, print server, scanner server, fax server, telephony server (through Asterisk), runs some custom written code for RF broadcast reception.  Also servers up iSCSI to a couple clients (that boot from it).  And has some 802.11n radios in it to function as a wireless access point.  As well, has a 4G LTE radio for emergency connectivity in case my primary Internet connection goes down and for time synchronization with GPS clocking.  It also has a DNS server which filters out large amounts of spam and ad-filled hosts from being resolvable by my internal network's machines.

It has a few 'active' workloads as well.  Such as transmitting random search terms to Google basically on a 24/7 basis on the various IPs that I use, a few an hour, but at random intervals.  So they can't build a profile on me based on my searches or monitor my usage without sorting through the 'noise'. 

Looking to do some code in the not-so-distant future to have sprinklers running off of it (with some interfacing with Internet weather forecasts and a 'wetness' sensor), and have a project ongoing to add video surveillance to its workload.  Despite all of this, it really doesn't touch the i7 CPU's capabilities unless it is doing backups (spends most of its time at 5-10% CPU except backups).  In which case the compression pegs the 4/8 cores.  Also looking to do a IPV6-aware, ipv6-tunnel attached firewall/router in a VM (currently my network infrastructure is ipv4-only capable!).

I haven't put the Watts Up on it yet, but I suspect consumption is in the 90W area.  Owing to the excellent energy efficiency of Sandy Bridge.

edit:  its cool that someone else has an X9SAE here.  Great board so far, even though I bought mine used for cheap.  I struggle to decide whether its worthwhile to retrofit a Xeon E3 into my setup and go with ECC or not.  I bought the i7-2600 basically the week they came out, and Xeons weren't an option at the time.

edit:  all disks are in RAID-1.  I don't fool around with the other RAID levels, or hard drives at all.  It also serves as the backup server for a number of desktops.  No SSDs yet, although it does have a 2 x 2.5" mounting bays for hot-swapping SSDs, although they're currently occupied by old/used laptop HDDs.

Sounds like your getting the most out of your server than most other people here! :D Well done! I like how this started off with a 5V chip and has continuously been upgraded!

6 hours ago, Mayaa said:

Self built from old components from my old desktop, specs are:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955

RAM: 16GB

PSU: 500w (kinda overkill but couldnt find lower wattage)

HDD: Raid 1 array with 2 3TB WD Reds (holds my media collection and backups)

Old 160gb and 250gb HDD for general storage, OS, etc

I run a Plex server, owncloud, game servers when i need them, and a samba share to store my nvidia shadowplay recordings for a bit more long term storage.

The OS is Linux Debian

Power consumption, im not sure really. The CPU isnt the most power efficient.

I run it 24/7

Not sure what you can do with yours, you usually get a server to solve a need you have. If you dont have one, you probably wont need one.

Anything else to say? i suppose dont be scared to learn how to use the command line :)

Awesome! Does that thing really pull anyway near 500w? :P How many watts is it? And definitely, I will learn command line!

2 hours ago, Las_Killar said:

I have an old Dell R310 running with a Xeon X3440, 4 core, 8 threads + 12GB Samsung ECC 1333MHz and 200GB 7200RPM SATA.

Mainly used to host a couple of teamspeak servers, dedicated servers and other services for the clan.

It runs with Windows 10 pro, 64 bit.

No idea about the power consumption fra the wall at the moment, but it has a PSU with a max at 350 watt.

It runs 24/7 unless it need maintence (rarely needed)

If it is powerfull enough, run serverals VM on it, make it to a nas or combine those two suggestions.

Cool. I will probably move my TeamSpeak server from my ts3 host to my home server since most of my friends are in the UK so it would make better sense especially if my server is going to be on 24/7. Saving £3 a month for not paying the TS3 server can go to my energy bill :D.

55 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Why do you have a 8 socket CPU package in a 2 socket motherboard? Hope you got that CPU at a major discount.

Also the E7-8890v4 uses the FCLGA2011-1 socket not 2011-3 which that motherboard is so those components are not compatible. Not listed the incorrect newer motherboard revision by mistake?

I did notice this socket incompatibility but didn't mention it since maybe I don't know as much about servers, I assumed maybe there is a hack for it just like how you can put an LGA 771 into an LGA 775, I think it was something like that, maybe the other way round but yeh.

Does anyone know if you can somehow have the server turn off at say 11:00pm and come back on at like 7:00pm and off on a Saturday etc. Basically on a secluded so its off when I'm not using it. This is to try and reduce power consumption. Could I use the management port to do this or something? Or is there any other ways?