Advice for MOBO (My first build)

Hey everyone.

I'd like to get some advice related to mobo for my first build.
These will be my specs:
i7 6700 3.4 ghz
corsair 16 (8x2) gb 3000 mhz

Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming

120 gb ssd

1 tb hdd

But what about motherboard?

I was thinking about Gigabyte z170x gaming 3 or Asus Z170 a but are they too much for my system?

I will not have processor with K series? That's why I'm confused? Should I get z series mobos or not? 

Thanks for replies.

No, they are only interesting if you want to overclock. Go for a H110 or b150 series mobo, just pick one that has the features you want/need. 

This is expensive, but really complete board:

MSI B150 Gaming M3

But if you google, you might find some other cheaper/better boards.

1 minute ago, Enivitation said:

No, they are only interesting if you want to overclock. Go for a H110 or b150 series mobo, just pick one that has the features you want/need. 

This is expensive, but really complete board:

MSI B150 Gaming M3

But if you google, you might find some other cheaper/better boards.

Well actually I dont think I will change my computer for a long time. So i want to build a pc which is upgradable. For example 3 years later I may do sli or change into processor with k series. So is it logical if i buy z series mobo?

• definitely get at least a 240GB ssd. at least. trust me.
  • if you don't have a k skew CPU you don't need a Z170 board. though I'd either just get a 6700k and overclock it later. 
  • also what CPU cooler? and what case?

1 minute ago, Beeeyeee said:
  • definitely get at least a 240GB ssd. at least. trust me.
  • if you don't have a k skew CPU you don't need a Z170 board. though I'd either just get a 6700k and overclock it later. 
  • also what CPU cooler? and what case?

About case I was thinking of Corsair SPEC-02 650W 80 plus
i7 6700 has stock fan so i think it's enough for it. If I understand correctly of course.

Why do you think 240 gb ssd? it's about my budget btw :(

Also i'd like to ask a question.

i5 6600k? or i7 6700? 

Which one do you prefer?

59 minutes ago, Enivitation said:

No, they are only interesting if you want to overclock.

Which includes the RAM. For that 3000mhz kit to even make sense, he has to get a z170 moob.

53 minutes ago, Beeeyeee said:

definitely get at least a 240GB ssd. at least. trust me.

120 is plenty. No need for more than that. Trust me.

40 minutes ago, edizzier said:

Also i'd like to ask a question.

i5 6600k? or i7 6700? 

Which one do you prefer?

What was your monitor again?

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

6 hours ago, edizzier said:

About case I was thinking of Corsair SPEC-02 650W 80 plus
i7 6700 has stock fan so i think it's enough for it. If I understand correctly of course.

Why do you think 240 gb ssd? it's about my budget btw :(

After building and experiencing dozens of PC's. A 120Gb SSD leaves you constantly deleting files just to install another program. A 240GB has been perfectly fine so I don't have to worry too much. Trust me. For some reason SSD's have stopped falling in price. They've kinda gone up. Look at the OCZ Trion150 240GB. It's about $60 and it's just as fast as a Samsung 850 evo. 

Also so about the stock fan, that's very true. But there's a few things about it... A 6700k is $20 more plus about $30-40 for a new cooler. If you're going for the 6700 I suggest getting a new cooler eventually anyway since that runs hot and loud. Is this just for gaming? If so go with a 6600k and you'll be fine on money. Otherwise you'll gain SO MUCH performance later on by just eating till you have $50 more. I think it's worth the wait. You could skimp on 8GB of ram for now or something like that you know?

6 hours ago, Imakuni said:

Which includes the RAM. For that 3000mhz kit to even make sense, he has to get a z170 moob.

120 is plenty. No need for more than that. Trust me.

What was your monitor again?

Well i dont have ram yet. That means i can change them too. Well you know it will make me crazy at the end. I will have Asus Vp228te for monitor but Im not sure about that too :/

1 hour ago, Beeeyeee said:

After building and experiencing dozens of PC's. A 120Gb SSD leaves you constantly deleting files just to install another program. A 240GB has been perfectly fine so I don't have to worry too much. Trust me. For some reason SSD's have stopped falling in price. They've kinda gone up. Look at the OCZ Trion150 240GB. It's about $60 and it's just as fast as a Samsung 850 evo. 

Also so about the stock fan, that's very true. But there's a few things about it... A 6700k is $20 more plus about $30-40 for a new cooler. If you're going for the 6700 I suggest getting a new cooler eventually anyway since that runs hot and loud. Is this just for gaming? If so go with a 6600k and you'll be fine on money. Otherwise you'll gain SO MUCH performance later on by just eating till you have $50 more. I think it's worth the wait. You could skimp on 8GB of ram for now or something like that you know?

Not just for gaming but also for rendering. I dont mean heavy loads by saying rendering. 6700 (non-k) has stock fan so is it changable? I heard that k series is unlocked so that's why you can easily change cooler. Im confused. 

8 minutes ago, edizzier said:

Well i dont have ram yet. That means i can change them too. Well you know it will make me crazy at the end. I will have Asus Vp228te for monitor but Im not sure about that too :/

Er... then it doesn't matter which CPU you get. Nor mobo / RAM, and even the GPU for that matter. You'll be having a severe bottleneck on your monitor.

Get an i5 6500 and use the money to grab yourself a 1440p monitor. Will make more sense than using a 6600k / 6700 with your current choice.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

1 minute ago, Imakuni said:

Er... then it doesn't matter which CPU you get. Nor mobo / RAM, and even the GPU for that matter. You'll be having a severe bottleneck on your monitor.

Get an i5 6500 and use the money to grab yourself a 1440p monitor. Will make more sense than using a 6600k / 6700 with your current choice.

Having bottleneck because of monitor? Really? So what's your suggest for monitor for 1080p. I cannot buy 1440p for now..

1 minute ago, edizzier said:

Having bottleneck because of monitor? Really? So what's your suggest for monitor for 1080p. I cannot buy 1440p for now..

How so? You have money for a 6700 and a z170 mobo; downgrade those to an i5 6500 and an H110 and I'm pretty sure the price difference would be enough to let you purchase a 1440p panel rather than the Vp228te

11 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

How so? You have money for a 6700 and a z170 mobo; downgrade those to an i5 6500 and an H110 and I'm pretty sure the price difference would be enough to let you purchase a 1440p panel rather than the Vp228te

Well it is about my country man :) taxes etc.. But what about asus vs248hr?

Actually it looks like i will give up :(  it really made me crazy. 

10 hours ago, edizzier said:

Not just for gaming but also for rendering. I dont mean heavy loads by saying rendering. 6700 (non-k) has stock fan so is it changable? I heard that k series is unlocked so that's why you can easily change cooler. Im confused. 

6700 comes with a stock fan, 6700k does not. But honestly that stock cooler will run very hot and pretty loud. Especially as time goes on. What I'm saying is, you should upgrade the stock heatsink anyway, even if it's later on. But if you're going to do that you might as well spend $20 more on a 6700k. Does that make sense? Even if you don't overclock, you're going from 3.2Ghtz on a 6700 va 4.0Ghtz on a 6700k. That's a huge improvement! Your renders will come much faster for you. I think it's worth it in the long run. :)

10 minutes ago, Beeeyeee said:

6700 comes with a stock fan, 6700k does not. But honestly that stock cooler will run very hot and pretty loud. Especially as time goes on. What I'm saying is, you should upgrade the stock heatsink anyway, even if it's later on. But if you're going to do that you might as well spend $20 more on a 6700k. Does that make sense? Even if you don't overclock, you're going from 3.2Ghtz on a 6700 va 4.0Ghtz on a 6700k. That's a huge improvement! Your renders will come much faster for you. I think it's worth it in the long run. :)

Well i understand but if i buy 6700k i have to buy also extra fan too. But for now it is too much. But i understand you very well

Hey! I decided to build these specs soon. And I also have gtx 1070. So what do you think about this? If it's okay, probably i will buy these specs and build them tomorrow or after tomorrow.

Ekran Görüntüsü (228)1.png

Edited by edizzier

3 hours ago, edizzier said:

Hey! I decided to build these specs soon. And I also have gtx 1070. So what do you think about this? If it's okay, probably i will buy these specs and build them tomorrow or after tomorrow.

Spoiler

Ekran Görüntüsü (228)1.png

Either buy a 6600K or 6700K, if you really need those hyperthreads. Buy a Cooler Master 212 Evo, it's a really good heatsink and doesn't cost that much with either of those CPUs.

Buy 8GB of RAM now and upgrade to 16GB in the future.

Buy a 1080p Freesync monitor and a RX480 (not the reference one, but custom, from Asus or MSI or Sapphire)

OR

a high frequency 1080p monitor without adaptive sync and a GTX 1060

Definitely go for a 240GB SSD, I myself bought a 120GB SSD when I was getting my computer ~2 years ago, ended up switching it out for a 240GB SSD because I ran out of space on the smaller SSD (and I actually had 0 games installed on it at the time). 240GB SSDs generally have better capacity/price ratio.

IF you have some money left (probably depending most on the choice of the CPU), use it for a better monitor (1440p with Freesync or G-sync or high refresh rate 1080p monitor).

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3