PC components got wet yesterday, not booting up today

Emrgca

Today's a sad day.

Yesterday a plant fell on my desktop pc, and it spilled dirt on the grid on top of my pc. It dripped down to the gpu, and partially on the motherboard and psu. I noticed this 2 hours later and took out the components, let them dry(wasn much to dry). I left the components to dry for about 20 hours. Next day, today, I assembled it and booted it up. For about 3 seconds, it seems like it boots up, fans make noise, nothing shows onscreen, and then it shuts off again. The motherboard has a red light, I don't know if that means anything(don't know if it used to be there).

I'm not really sure what to do, what part would be damaged(if any)? Help would be greaaat. I can post a video of the 3 second boot if needed, and do ask if you need more info to help, thanks in advance.

Had the same issue a couple of days ago, receiving the same effects. The board ended up dying because of it. It's probably a fried board, to be honest.

7 minutes ago, Emrgca said:

Today's a sad day.

Yesterday a plant fell on my desktop pc, and it spilled dirt on the grid on top of my pc. It dripped down to the gpu, and partially on the motherboard and psu. I noticed this 2 hours later and took out the components, let them dry(wasn much to dry). I left the components to dry for about 20 hours. Next day, today, I assembled it and booted it up. For about 3 seconds, it seems like it boots up, fans make noise, nothing shows onscreen, and then it shuts off again. The motherboard has a red light, I don't know if that means anything(don't know if it used to be there).

I'm not really sure what to do, what part would be damaged(if any)? Help would be greaaat. I can post a video of the 3 second boot if needed, and do ask if you need more info to help, thanks in advance.

Did the water drip on or into the PSU? Did water get through the fan? Was the PC running when this happened?

Just now, dobo2001 said:

Did the water drip on or into the PSU? Did water get through the fan? Was the PC running when this happened?

beat me to it :)

1 minute ago, dobo2001 said:

- After unplugging the psu cables, I noticed the pins were a bit moist, but not that wet or soaked. I don't know if water actually went inside, if it did, it was not too much.

- What fan? It went a bit through the gpu fan. It did not go through the psu fan no.

- I don't actually know if the pc was on sleep, or shut off the night before.

2 minutes ago, Carl2608 said:

Had the same issue a couple of days ago, receiving the same effects. The board ended up dying because of it. It's probably a fried board, to be honest.

so you are thinking the mobo is dead?

I had a similar problem with my router where i droped a bit water on it while it was running. The router was dead but i got a free one from my ISP. They didnt notice that i destroyed it :P

Sorry to say but some parts of your pc are dead now (mobo)

Just now, Emrgca said:

- After unplugging the psu cables, I noticed the pins were a bit moist, but not that wet or soaked. I don't know if water actually went inside, if it did, it was not too much.

- What fan? It went a bit through the gpu fan. It did not go through the psu fan no.

- I don't actually know if the pc was on sleep, or shut off the night before.

so you are thinking the mobo is dead?

Every case is different, so the outcome may vary, but i would believe from the info i've received, that it's a dead board. Try unplugging everything that isn't essential to the board, as it might cause a short. Hard Drives, SSDs, fans, unecessary PSU connectors, Graphics cards and and all but one stick of RAM (remember, if you don't know EXACTLY where/what the failure is, everything is a suspect). If it doesn't boot up after that, try and clear CMOS. Since the PC refused to start after the incident, it might corrupted.

1 minute ago, Carl2608 said:

Every case is different, so the outcome may vary, but i would believe from the info i've received, that it's a dead board. Try unplugging everything that isn't essential to the board, as it might cause a short. Hard Drives, SSDs, fans, unecessary PSU connectors, Graphics cards and and all but one stick of RAM (remember, if you don't know EXACTLY where/what the failure is, everything is a suspect). If it doesn't boot up after that, try and clear CMOS. Since the PC refused to start after the incident, it might corrupted.

is it safe to boot without gpu(or even possible)? What if it does boot up now, should I plug in components one by one see which ones the problem?

Just now, Emrgca said:

is it safe to boot without gpu(or even possible)? What if it does boot up now, should I plug in components one by one see which ones the problem?

What CPU/chipset do you use? 

12 minutes ago, Carl2608 said:

What CPU/chipset do you use? 

FX8320, AM3+

Just tried removing and cleaning cmos, didn work.

11 minutes ago, Emrgca said:
Just now, Emrgca said:

FX8320, AM3+

Just tried removing and cleaning cmos, didn work.

Hmm... That CPU does not have integrated graphics. Do you have another GPU (preferably one that you don't have a use for anymore). I doubt that it would be the GPU though (it's quite obvious if it is) so you might be looking at a dead board. Check the PSU maybe?

Hmm... That CPU does not have integrated graphics. Do you have another GPU (preferably one that you don't have a use for anymore). I doubt that it would be the GPU though (it's quite obvious if it is) so you might be looking at a dead board. Check the PSU maybe?

don't have another gpu anymore no. How do i check for the psu?

Just now, Emrgca said:

don't have another gpu anymore no. How do i check for the psu?

Either a PSU tester of test the system with another unit.

Either a PSU tester of test the system with another unit.

hm, im going to see if I can borrow someones, thanks. what a hassle:dry:

Just now, Emrgca said:

All part of PCMR, i guess

4 hours ago, Emrgca said:

While doing my custom loop, I've spilled water on my 980 Ti at least twice. Granted, the system was never on, but I just let it out to dry for a couple hours in front of a fans and it's still perfectly fine today. I never spilled that much water on it, maybe two or three drops, but just leaving it out to dry for at least 24 hours in front of a fan for a spill this big and extensive is recommended. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's been 5 days since I troubleshooted and I'm coming back to say that replacing the power supply with my friend's did not solve the problem, very very unfortunate;(

My guess is that the motherboard is dead, but I'm desperately hoping there is still something I can do.

@Carl2608

• 3 weeks later...