What is your hardware quirk?

TheHogSmasher

What is your hardware quirk? Little things that kinda break or only work a certain way. Doesn't matter the hardware.

In my case, a stereo / dvd combo system that would only be silent if you hit the right fan.

After a fresh windows install, one of the USB hubs on my laptop will only supply power. Not a big deal when there are 4 others, and it still charges at least.

I won't know you're talking to me unless you reply/quote me.

if i reboot my system a few times in a few mins it pukes oc unstable .have to pull power to make it boot then =(

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

On an older laptop that's no longer with me, the power switch broke and was literally impossible to replace (Thanks Toshiba for having everything be soldered together (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)) and just left an exposed wire. To turn the laptop on, you has to touch the wire with your fingers, sometimes getting a little jolt.

Just now, Gravemind said:

On an older laptop that's no longer with me, the power switch broke and was literally impossible to replace (Thanks Toshiba for having everything be soldered together (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)) and just left an exposed wire. To turn the laptop on, you has to touch the wire with your fingers, sometimes getting a little jolt.

Solder on a button to those wires :P

@TheHogSmasher

It was a ribbon wire and you couldn't. Believe me, I tried everything to not give myself electroshock therapy each time I wanted to just watch Youtube (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

Unless I underclock my GTX 970 G1 Gaming to reference, I get BSOD as soon as I open either of the ODD. Despite the Corsair VS650 having the 5V, 3.3V and 12V rails well under their maximum wattage.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

My server's USB monitor turns on when you shut the garage door or yell at it...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

My server's USB monitor turns on when you shut the garage door or yell at it...

Video! Video!!!

1 minute ago, Gravemind said:

@TheHogSmasher

It was a ribbon wire and you couldn't. Believe me, I tried everything to not give myself electroshock therapy each time I wanted to just watch Youtube (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

There's always a way. It's hell but still.

@TheHogSmasher

Nope, the wire wasn't even an inch long and it was soldered right to the (exposed) pcb. The only option was to literally replace the motherboard, just to have a power button.

BTW-anyone who has to turn a computer on by connecting/shorting 2 wires out, be glad that your not having to turn on an AT PSU with its switch fully exposed as the heatshrink fell off. Got zapped twice by 240V due to the wires on the switch being exposed.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, Gravemind said:

@TheHogSmasher

Nope, the wire wasn't even an inch long and it was soldered right to the (exposed) pcb. The only option was to literally replace the motherboard, just to have a power button.

Solder to where it attached to the motherboard. Been there, done that. You need a magnifying glass, a steady hand, a soldering iron, and you need to have a self hatred to do something that painful.

My NAS likes to reboot randomly whenever i need it, but it runs for days without problem with active plex users. 

Magical Pineapples

Sometimes my board randomly decides what flash drives work, what drives will appear in BIOS, and whether it even POSTs.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Just now, MrUnknownEMC said:

My NAS likes to reboot randomly whenever i need it, but it runs for days without problem with active plex users. 

I hear the Lepre-Chaun Corp is coming out with new Luck CPU's this winter.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Some USB ports are weird on my Gigabyte board. On both Gigabyte boards I've owned, if my keyboard managed to get unplugged, I would have to plug it back in, unplug it again, then replug it in again for it to work. It's little things like that with USB and the ports being finicky.

ASU

18 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

BTW-anyone who has to turn a computer on by connecting/shorting 2 wires out, be glad that your not having to turn on an AT PSU with its switch fully exposed as the heatshrink fell off. Got zapped twice by 240V due to the wires on the switch being exposed.

I hate AT PSUs for that one reason. I was testing a Socket 7 board that I thought was dead with a spare AT PSU and I got an awful shock, turns out the switch itself was live. I learnt don't touch the AT power switch when it is on, turn it off at the wall then turn off the switch.

my laptop turns itself off if you put it down on a hard surface. So i have to remember never to pick up my laptop. 

it's a giant mushroom... MAYBE IT'S FRIENDLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My RCA beater 2-in-1 likes to crash the display drivers every so often. Even reference drivers exhibit the same behavior.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

My RCA beater 2-in-1 likes to crash the display drivers every so often. Even reference drivers exhibit the same behavior.

Same for 50% of my nvidia PCs... But thats not my main issue now, the machine has now gone full retard

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Same for 50% of my nvidia PCs... But thats not my main issue now, the machine has now gone full retard

When I did my round of Win 10 upgrades, the machine I figured almost certain would have issues (1st-gen AMD + Intel switchable Graphics + hacked together drivers) was the one machine not giving me a hard time during said upgrade. Nala (the desktop) ran into issues regarding display drivers, and later some weird behavior from my Blu-Ray drive.

On Nala, GeForce Experience works about 25% of the time, which doesn't matter as OBS is better recording software anyway, and apparently, later drivers are fairly poor for Maxwell cards.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

i guess a real one for me is

when i turn on my window AC my moniter will turn off then back on,

i know its just becase the cricut is taking too much power and is trying not to start a fire, but still 

Both of my laptops...

In the older one, I had a BSOD, followed by chkdsk, which removed all of the interface for configuring the iGPU, and on my newer one, Intel haven't released Windows 10 compatible iGPU drivers, so I can't use OpenGL.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.