Radiator won't fit in my 750D front mount: Help

Go to solution Solved by W-L,
3 hours ago, DrJones said:

-SNIP-

As mentioned you can drill out the rivets to remove the 5.25" bays or another option is to drill a cut out the bottom of the 5.25" bay for the bleed port so it can protrude through and be used as a bleed port. 

Hey guys, I'm trying to mount my Alphacool XT45 240mm rad in the front mount of my Corsair 750D. Except I've run into one slight problem that I don't know how to go about fixing. The Alphacool rad has a plug on one end to add an option to bleed air from the rad. Unfortunately, when mounting the rad, this plug hits the bottom of the 5.25" bays. The 5.25" bays have rails to allow you to slide in additional HDD drive bays which I won't be using. It's these rails on the bottom of the 5.25" bays that the plug on the top of the rad is hitting.

The front fan mount allows you to mount the rad in two different positions, one lower which will get in the way of my rad on the bottom of the case, and one higher, which gives me clearance from the bottom rad but presents me with my current problem of the top plug hitting the rails on the bottom of the 5.25" bays. The plug is a low profile plug by the way, only 3mm in height. This leaves me with either cutting the rails off the bottom of the 5.25" bays somehow, or drilling my own 8 holes to mount the rad in a slightly lower position, if the case allows.

I was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue with clearance at the top of their front rad, and how they went about fixing it? Or if anyone has any suggestions? I have no idea how I would cut off the rails I'm talking about, and I'd rather not drill 8 holes if I don't have to, but right now that seems like my best option.

Just now, keNNySOC said:

Why not just unscrew the 5.25" bay?

It doesn't, it looks like they're riveted in. I'd have to drill it out somehow.

3 hours ago, DrJones said:

-SNIP-

As mentioned you can drill out the rivets to remove the 5.25" bays or another option is to drill a cut out the bottom of the 5.25" bay for the bleed port so it can protrude through and be used as a bleed port. 

55 minutes ago, W-L said:

I like the idea to cut out the bottom to still use the port, any suggestions as to what to use to cut the metal?

1 minute ago, DrJones said:

I like the idea to cut out the bottom to still use the port, any suggestions as to what to use to cut the metal?

If you are able to line it up and have enough room you could try using a stepped or Christmas tree drill bit and make an opening larger than the plug for easy removal. Another is taking a dremel to make the cutout. 

22 hours ago, W-L said:

If you are able to line it up and have enough room you could try using a stepped or Christmas tree drill bit and make an opening larger than the plug for easy removal. Another is taking a dremel to make the cutout. 

Hey! I think those would've worked great, but my dad had some tin snips, so I used those to cut out the bottom of the bay. Leaves plenty of room for the rad and I can use it as a bleed now. Since the snips don't actually shave metal, I didn't have to take out any of the components to do it. Was able to then bend away the sharp edges to make a smooth curve.