No man's sky first 100 minutes review

Well, one day after the launch date, after a reinstall of windows and after causing many bluescreens. No man's sky is finally playable on my PC. Now, how was it, because that's what everyone wants to hear. My personal opinion; not as bad as many reviews say, I mean like I did pre-order so I got a head start but still, I played through the whole fix your ship and retrieve the hyperdrive thing before I switched out to the pre-order ship, which BTW looked absolutely badass, now if only it had weapons to match, rather than the stock laser. So far I have only clocked up less than 100 mins on this game but so far its gotten me attached to it and in the following weeks, my steam friends will see my gameplay time creep up. (I still attend school, so I have my priorities sorted). When you start off like me many players do get lost a bit but once you get the hang of things the game is rather fun and exciting to play and there is a decent opportunity that you will get heaps of hours of gameplay. trust me, this game is awesome, but, is it worth the $60 you pay for it? The fact of the matter is erm.... it depends, it was for me as I got a free ship but if you want it cheaper, there is a chance it might. Note MIGHT. go on sale for the steam winter sale. The game can be improved with set objectives and instructions on how to achieve it instead of throwing you into the game with the objective repair launch thrusters. Even without guidance I still managed to figure out how to achieve the objective rather easily but as the game progressed I did get a bit lost, as in warp cells and antimatter. that was the point from where I had stopped playing to write this review.  As mentioned earlier, all personal opinion and everyone's opinion will differ from one another, that's all for now but I'm looking forward to continuing my journey in No man's sky. (after I finish my homework)

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

2 minutes ago, Robitzu said:

Is it worth playing that game or not?

It depends on you and whether you like slower paced exploration games, like Minecraft a bit except slower paced and a bit easier to survive based on starting planet. For me, it was because I like slower paced and I got the preorder special. I would recommend waiting for the steam winter sale because it is still badly optimised. From what I've heard a guy with state of the art hardware couldn't run it smoothly at all.

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

at exploring planets, it's strangely "addictive" - I like to explorea each planet as much as possible; at one time I spent 1h+ gathering Carbon an learning words from a Gek :P

but one you get in your spaceshit .. immersion breaks

ps: the word learning is not random, I reverted a save and strangely enough, it tough me same two words

15 minutes ago, another random person said:

Well, one day after the launch date, after a reinstall of windows and after causing many bluescreens. No man's sky is finally playable on my PC. Now, how was it, because that's what everyone wants to hear. My personal opinion; not as bad as many reviews say, I mean like I did pre-order so I got a head start but still, I played through the whole fix your ship and retrieve the hyperdrive thing before I switched out to the pre-order ship, which BTW looked absolutely badass, now if only it had weapons to match, rather than the stock laser. So far I have only clocked up less than 100 mins on this game but so far its gotten me attached to it and in the following weeks, my steam friends will see my gameplay time creep up. (I still attend school, so I have my priorities sorted). When you start off like me many players do get lost a bit but once you get the hang of things the game is rather fun and exciting to play and there is a decent opportunity that you will get heaps of hours of gameplay. trust me, this game is awesome, but, is it worth the $60 you pay for it? The fact of the matter is erm.... it depends, it was for me as I got a free ship but if you want it cheaper, there is a chance it might. Note MIGHT. go on sale for the steam winter sale. The game can be improved with set objectives and instructions on how to achieve it instead of throwing you into the game with the objective repair launch thrusters. Even without guidance I still managed to figure out how to achieve the objective rather easily but as the game progressed I did get a bit lost, as in warp cells and antimatter. that was the point from where I had stopped playing to write this review.  As mentioned earlier, all personal opinion and everyone's opinion will differ from one another, that's all for now but I'm looking forward to continuing my journey in No man's sky. (after I finish my homework)

I mostly agree with what you said. This game is not going to be for everyone. It is very much based on discovery and exploration and not in the traditional way that we have gotten from games in the past. A few reverse have pointed out to the fact that the description of this game was rather vague and people took that and imagined a game so amazing and perfect that it just wasn't really possible in turn the butt hurt ensued . 

You make the comparison with minecraft which is totally spot on (when playing minecraft solo).  I like the exportation and mystery about the "story" and think that adding the more objectives and instructions would defeat the games purpose.

As for the performance it runs relatively well on my system with 60fps with stutters every now and then. This normally happens when moving fast and loading/generating new areas and terrain (which is understandable IMO). But as many have pointed out i seem to be in the minority. 

Graphically the game is ok, not great not terrible. It seems most of the dev time went into the generation of the worlds rather than how the look. I would like to see this improved over time along with the games stability. 

I would also recommend waiting to purchase for similar reasons. It's a $40 game at this point but with future patch's this game could be the start of a new type of game with the world creation and the complex procedural generation.

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ stock for now --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16Gb --- MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Formula --- GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 980ti --- PSU: Corsair AX860i  ---  Storage: Samsung 850 250gb(OS), 3x Western Digital Blue 3tb (one for game and programs, two for media), 3tb WD Green(somewhat backup) and a Crucial M550 120gb SSD (caching games and programs drive)  --- Case: Fractal Define R5 --- Cooler: Corsair H100i with Noctua 2000rpm, Industrial Fans --- OS: Windows 10 --- Monitor: Asus PB298q + AOC l2260SWD --- Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum --- Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) Red LED's --- Audio: Audio Engine A2's (yes the originals), Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Ant Lion Mod Mic V4 --- Laptop: Dell XPS 9750