Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zack Brown

Are Internet Router Waves Dangerous?

11 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

If a router WAS dangerously radioactive or something, how would unplugging it after 10pm have a benefit to safety?

"What's that?"

"That's my Uranium."

"WTF!?"

"It's cool, we put it in it's lead cask from 10pm till 8am."

"Oh, cool, thank god.  Pass the chips would you?"

Well his point is that it won't affect us while we sleep so that we could have a better sleep.

@manikyath @Quinnbeast @TheSuspenceful @SamStrecker @Donut417 @Potato_King @givingtnt @wrathoftheturkey @Sauron

Thanks guys for your very helpful information. He is convinced now and would let the router be on at night :D

All the help is much appreciated.

No more dangerous than eating bananas.....

radiation[1].png

Desktop: i7-4790k Build - ALMOST COMPLETE Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Bell Unlimited National Calling & Texting + 10GB Data
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: HP Touchpad (Android) | ASUS ME302C
Camera: Canon SX280 + Rebel T1i (500D) | Sony HDR-AS50R | Panasonic DMC-TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

3 hours ago, manikyath said:

Then again, for all i can measure it's not the 2.4ghz but a " just outside of audible range" squeak in the power supply that the brain still somehow processes. (Which would explain my dad's super-sensitivity to the situation, he's one of those people that are driven insane by coil whine most cant even hear, although in theory our walls have sound dampening it them...)

Well, that would explain a lot. I have the same thing, I can hear coil whines, old tv's, shitty power supplies and all. And contrary to 2.4GHz, there's a lot of research about the influences of ultra- and infrasound on the human brain that have shown noticeable effects.Some of the symptoms are nausea and headaches. Although I only hear it when I'm in the same room.

4 hours ago, TheCi said:

Well, that would explain a lot. I have the same thing, I can hear coil whines, old tv's, shitty power supplies and all. And contrary to 2.4GHz, there's a lot of research about the influences of ultra- and infrasound on the human brain that have shown noticeable effects.Some of the symptoms are nausea and headaches. Although I only hear it when I'm in the same room.

My dad could hear my old server whine trough the wall, but i've later found out it was the case 'emitting' whatever it was into the floor, once i put it on one of those vibration dampening mats it was completely gone.

That said, if i listen closely (and i'm sure everyone else here as well) i can hear a very slight whine from pretty much any power brick, but the tp-link ones seem to be the least whiny. (At least something they did good i guess...)

And one of the switches we have hanging aroubd somewhere whines like hell, and it never caught his attention. (And like, we're talkibg whine to the point i've replaced coponents trying to fix the issue...)

EDIT: before someone stabs me, with "vibration dampening mat" i'm not talking about snake oil nonsense products, they make mats to put under washing machines, compressors, and anything else that vibrates really.

8 hours ago, manikyath said:

I've seen lots of these studies, and indeed they all follow the same tendency. I cant say if it's just my tp-link garbage being way out of spec (cant really measure that), these tests being done with less wattage than is the norm in belgium, or if my dad is just really hyper-sensitive to everything but the smell of his own breath.

With my dad it's pretty much a 1:1 corelation between strong wifi signal & no sleep or no strong wifi signal and good sleep. While i dont happen to live in a farraday cage to cancel out other elements, it's SO dead on accurate it's hard to ignore.

Then again, for all i can measure it's not the 2.4ghz but a " just outside of audible range" squeak in the power supply that the brain still somehow processes. (Which would explain my dad's super-sensitivity to the situation, he's one of those people that are driven insane by coil whine most cant even hear, although in theory our walls have sound dampening it them...)

Beyond that, i just wanna say you deserve a +1 because you're seemingly the only one here that's not coming in to attack my "obviously flawed methods" or call me a tinfoil hat freak.

Well there's no reason to personally attack you. Everyone was internal biases in their logic - it's part of being human. Rather then call you a tinfoil hat freak, it's better to discuss your points and - where appropriate - point out where research and studies have already looked at similar cases, etc.

The sensitivity to the power brick is definitely a possibility. Sensitivity to coil whine is an objectively measured and confirmed phenomenon. Though if that's the case, how does he sleep with anything DC plugged into his room? Basically anything but the lights would emit a similar "noise", to varying degrees.

For Sale (lots of stuff):

Spoiler

[FS] [CAD] Various things

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Well there's no reason to personally attack you. Everyone was internal biases in their logic - it's part of being human. Rather then call you a tinfoil hat freak, it's better to discuss your points and - where appropriate - point out where research and studies have already looked at similar cases, etc.

The sensitivity to the power brick is definitely a possibility. Sensitivity to coil whine is an objectively measured and confirmed phenomenon. Though if that's the case, how does he sleep with anything DC plugged into his room? Basically anything but the lights would emit a similar "noise", to varying degrees.

The reason why i never chased the power brick whine path is because my tp links are among the quietest i have (which in fact is one of the reason i still buy them every time one goes unreliable.)

He's indeed very picky on his alarm clocks, which is pretty much the only modern technology in said bedroom. Why he needs a fire extinguisher next to his bed is beyond my imagination tho...

If you live in a populated area like I do you can't really escape a large concentration of radio waves.  But the kind of fatigue I experience is from staring at a monitor for too long, or other more practical things relating to eyes or sound.  Radio waves is just something a lot of us have to deal with in the information age, whether or not they're actually harmful (and I don't think they are, not as much as solar radiation).

If you're very worried about getting cancer, go for regular check ups.  It's not really worth the burden of thought though.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Lol why the hell are there still replies to this post... And my god, 6 pages!

CPU: Intel i7-6700k - GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW - Motherboard: Asus Z170-A - RAM: Vengeance LPX DDR4 16GB 3000MHz - CPU: Cooler: Corsair Hydro GTX H110i - PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA 650W P2 - Case: NZXT H440 White/Black - OS: Windows 10 Home - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red RGB