Overclocking MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G

Hi

So I am new to GPU overclocking, I have an MSI GTX 970 and I am finding a bit more power out of my GPU would prevent me from having to consider purchasing a new one (yes I'm aware of the amount of power available in the gtx 1000 range). I am using the Heaven benchmark program to test the improvement and stability.

I am using MSI afterburner to do all the overclocking on the GPU.

So this is more just an information request but when I overclock the GPU to any level, when I load up Heaven and press start the display driver (so I assume the GPU itself) can instantly crash, suggesting instability, but if I try again it can run absolutely fine for hours at the same level of overclock. When Heaven completes a benchmark or is just left running there are NO artifacts (which I have read are signs of overclock limits)

There isn't an exclusive number or range at which my gpu behaves in this manner- it can occur at any level above its out of the box settings and can go whole days at an oc level (I've previously experienced this instant crash) in real games with no problems.

Is there any potential incompatibilities in my system which may cause this or is it as simple and straight forward as overclock instability when reaching its limit?

Thanks for your help

Use msi kombuster (stress tester) to test overclock stability. You can install it alongside afterburner, and activate it by just clicking the K in afterburner. That is a much better stability test. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

4 minutes ago, The clueless enthusiast said:

Is there any potential incompatibilities in my system which may cause this or is it as simple and straight forward as overclock instability when reaching its limit?

Could be the driver. Which version are you using?

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

41 minutes ago, The clueless enthusiast said:

Hi

So I am new to GPU overclocking, I have an MSI GTX 970 and I am finding a bit more power out of my GPU would prevent me from having to consider purchasing a new one (yes I'm aware of the amount of power available in the gtx 1000 range). I am using the Heaven benchmark program to test the improvement and stability.

I am using MSI afterburner to do all the overclocking on the GPU.

So this is more just an information request but when I overclock the GPU to any level, when I load up Heaven and press start the display driver (so I assume the GPU itself) can instantly crash, suggesting instability, but if I try again it can run absolutely fine for hours at the same level of overclock. When Heaven completes a benchmark or is just left running there are NO artifacts (which I have read are signs of overclock limits)

There isn't an exclusive number or range at which my gpu behaves in this manner- it can occur at any level above its out of the box settings and can go whole days at an oc level (I've previously experienced this instant crash) in real games with no problems.

Thanks for your help

I usually test using Furmark with 8x MSAA and see what was getting maxxed out before it crashed. 

Home PC: i5 6402P | Kingston HyperX 8GBx2 | Gigabyte G1 gaming GTX 1060 | Kingston UV400 240GB | WD blue 1TB Gigabyte H110m-S2 Cooler Master B500 v2

Laptop: Lenovo Yoga 710(Kaby Lake)

Phone: Oneplus 3

Tablet: iPad air 2