nVidia has a GTX1060 with only 3GB of VRAM, but that's not all

zMeul
4 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

*looks at his GT 730

*looks at the GT 430 that is literally the exact same thing, just $5 on Craigslist instead of $20

*curses NVIDIA

told ya....

R7 is just meant to "get a image on screen" and "allowing for multiple monitors"...

R5/R7 is about the same as most Intel HD graphics in power. Same applies to Nv GT series....

15 hours ago, Rune said:

Still running a 3gb 780ti.

Still just fine.

14 hours ago, Accursed Entity said:

and here I am with GTX780 3GB playing at 1440p lol what the hell are you guys arguing about 3gb being too low...

9 hours ago, bobhays said:

I'd have to disagree with those who say 3GB is too small. A game that uses 3GB does not mean it needs 3GB. I've been running a 2GB card for a couple years at 1080p and never had a vram problem.  I understand there may be a rare case like black ops 3, but I think the vast vast majority of games are fine with 3.

Yeah..... i'm sitting here going "wtf" since i used to play gta5 on med-high settings on my twin frzr 570 until i upgraded...... 3 gig is plenty for 1080 lol.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

Before my second 780ti took a shit (yes I have had two 780ti's die on me), I started to run into vram problems, this is now 9 months ago and I started to get problems 2-3 months before that, so that means that about 11-12 months ago I started to notice that 3gb was not enough for every game at high or ultra settings at 1080p gaming. Also I don't like this move Nvidia just did, remove cores and remove 3gb of ram, that is not okay if you are going to call it a 1060, it should have been a 1050 or 1050ti, since it has less cores than the 6gb 1060, it would have been fine IMO if it only was the ram they removed.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

On 8/13/2016 at 7:42 PM, zMeul said:

not like AMD has a 8GB RX480 and a 4GB RX480 xD

But both 480's have same core count i think the whole point was about people being fooled at the core count not the memory size.

36 minutes ago, deviant88 said:

But both 480's have same core count i think the whole point was about people being fooled at the core count not the memory size.

potato / patato - the 4G RX480 has lower speed VRAM and lower bandwith too, compared to the 8GB model

don't forget that

10 hours ago, Dackzy said:

-snip-

Double Ds... xD

No brain... Bad brain...

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

and here is yet another reason not to buy a 3GB card nowadays: you like to record your gaming sessions? like to stream on Twitch?

well ... OBS (NVENC H.264) is using ~200MB more VRAM, on top of what the game is using

tNSsvwK.png

On 8/13/2016 at 10:48 AM, DominicNikon said:

GTA V uses 3.5-3.7gb of vram on my GTX 980 at 1080p

My 970 easily uses 3.7gb on texture modded GTA V

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

and here is yet another reason not to buy a 3GB card nowadays: you like to record your gaming sessions? like to stream on Twitch?

well ... OBS is using ~200MB more VRAM, on top of what the game is using

tNSsvwK.png

Yeah, like streamers are going to get a 1060 or 480. Any serious streamers are using at least a 1070 or 1080 or equivalent high end maxwell gpus and they also have beefy CPUs since shadow play and VCE encoding looks worst than straight CPU

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Yeah, like streamers are going to get a 1060 or 480. Any serious streamers are using at least a 1070 or 1080 or equivalent high end maxwell gpus and they also have beefy CPUs since shadow play and VCE encoding looks worst than straight CPU

If they are playing at 1080p a 1060 can max nearly 100% of games. 

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

6 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I'm not talking about people that already make money off their streams - starting people will get low budgets to build their rigs, then upgrade

people that are serious about streaming are doing it with external HW

me, I'm uploading gameplay to YT from time to time - some of the time to show some technical aspect while other just because I want to show gameplay

I don't own a GTX1070, not even a GTX1060 - even if I got a Skylake; a new video card was not in the plan 

even if it's just 200MB,

you already take a ~10FPS avg penalty for running OBS on top of your game, how do you think those 3GB cards will fair!? not so good

7 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I'm not talking about people that already make money off their streams

So they don't matter: they wouldn't care about a few settings lower here and there, bit more vram being utilized meaning less AA or lower textures, they'd just want to stream and high quality wouldn't be priority which was my point.

-------

Current Rig

-------

7 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

So they don't matter: they wouldn't care about a few settings lower here and there, bit less vram being utilized meaning less AA or lower textures, they'd just want to stream and high quality wouldn't be priority which was my point.

no it wasn't your point, now you're making it

most people don't even know OBS uses it's own VRAM

the point is that the existence of a 3GB VRAM card in today's word is aberrant - low level APIs are the future right? well .. low level APIs use more VRAM at the exact same quality setting vs old APIs

I was seeing nearly 3GB of VRAM usage back on my R9 280X with Sniper Elite 3 and Mantle API

11 hours ago, Atmos said:

@MajesticCan backup that gta5 when rendered in 1080p on my 390 runs over 3.3gbs of vram consistently.

Thats a much higher end gpu, that can use more vram. The 1060 3gb wont be running games at those settings, and therefore will use less ram. 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

Just now, zMeul said:

no it wasn't your point, now you're making it

It was, I basically clarified it. In case that:

1) It wasn't perfectly clear (English is my second language after all)

2) Someone misinterprets it

3) Someone intentionally misconstrues it.

Regardless even if I "changed" it I am allowed to qualify my statements because of points 1 through 3, bye.

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 hours ago, marldorthegreat said:

Thats a much higher end gpu, that can use more vram. The 1060 3gb wont be running games at those settings, and therefore will use less ram. 

You, you do realize that the 390, 970, and 1060/480 all perform very similar... right? The 390 is barely faster than the alternatives; and while nvidia may be more efficient with its vram usage and memory bandwidth, its certainly not enough to stop a card from pulling that many textures into memory. There are games out there that will hit that 3gb cap, not many, but they do exist; which is all that I'm saying.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

For the love of god, stop naming different cards the same thing!

These are some shady business practices from Nvidia... Not that we should be surprised after the gem that was the 1060 vs 480 performance chart shown at launch.

Also, I'm not about to jump in on the "is 3GB VRAM enough" debate, since I really haven't done enough research on the topic... But...

to all those simply looking at VRAM usage on cards that have more VRAM, that is not a valid test. If your GPU has more memory, the GPU will use more memory than the minimum needed to keep it from becoming a bottleneck.

Your GPU will keep data they need for other parts of the game loaded so they don't have to load it again later. If your card is running out of VRAM, it will more aggressively clear data it doesn't need.

Best way to test it is to see if there are significant scaling differences between resolutions on the same settings.

For example, if running at 720p you're getting 200fps, and then running at 1080p you're getting 30fps... There's definitely a bottleneck.

On 8/13/2016 at 11:47 AM, Majestic said:

Show me the benchmark where the 780TI tanks on 1080p due to memory constraints.

Run Fallout 4 at the absolute maximum settings. It will murder VRAM.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

10 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Not quite... It doesn't take much to stream, and any streamer who makes a separate PC to just stream is quite honestly, imo, stupid. Look at my specs, oh ewww an i3, yet I can stream... Everyone acts like editing, recording, ect requires an i7, but no one has tried it.

Also, no, not every streamer has some high end ass PC. I'll name a few GPU's that some serious streamers use. GTX 780, One who uses a second PC to stream has an HD7750 in it, a 1GB card and even then, the main PC only has a 780. One has a GTX 770, and some are pretty stupid and they've got a 980Ti but 90% of their stream is fucking Minecraft.

CPUs? Ya, few have 5820k's and 5960x's, which again is stupid for a streamer. But high end to you, may different from me, but most streamers I watch have 4770k's, 4790k's, 2700k's, ect.

No idea why I am ranting............................................... ;/

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

19 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Something tells me this will be the equivalent of a 650ti Boost from a number of years ago

What's that?

On August 13, 2016 at 10:44 AM, zMeul said:

source: http://videocardz.com/63134/nvidia-confirms-geforce-gtx-1060-3gb-has-1152-cuda-cores

via: https://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/3GB-Version-NVIDIA-GTX-1060-Has-128-Fewer-CUDA-Cores

and it begs the question, why didn't nVidia named the 6BG variant GTX 1060Ti and keep the 3GB as just GTX 1060

or, name the 3GB variant as GTX 1050 ?!

this naming scheme and the CUDA core difference between them will create confusion

and I kinda' have a huge issue with 3GB of VRAM, even at 1080p, you will gonna hit the limit in some games - if you start modding them you're definitely gonna hit the limit

Can you explain what the issue is?  I'm confused.

Having 2 versions of a card one with more VRAM isn't anything new.  I admit 3GB sounds a bit low nowadays but it's not that bad I'd assume.  Not sure one way or the other since I hwve no idea exactly how much VRAM games typically use currently.

Is there more to this besides the VRAM variant that is a problem here?

24 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Not quite... It doesn't take much to stream, and any streamer who makes a separate PC to just stream is quite honestly, imo, stupid. Look at my specs, oh ewww an i3, yet I can stream... Everyone acts like editing, recording, ect requires an i7, but no one has tried it.

Also, no, not every streamer has some high end ass PC. I'll name a few GPU's that some serious streamers use. GTX 780, One who uses a second PC to stream has an HD7750 in it, a 1GB card and even then, the main PC only has a 780. One has a GTX 770, and some are pretty stupid and they've got a 980Ti but 90% of their stream is fucking Minecraft.

CPUs? Ya, few have 5820k's and 5960x's, which again is stupid for a streamer. But high end to you, may different from me, but most streamers I watch have 4770k's, 4790k's, 2700k's, ect.

No idea why I am ranting............................................... ;/

So basically you're saying @DarkBlade2117's point is correct and @zMeul is wrong and 3gb cards are still viable?

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

12 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

What's that?

The 650ti Boost was a card sold a number of years ago. The 750ti is a more recent version of it, I suppose. Maybe this will be a 1050ti. The "Boost" referred to a well overclocked 650ti card and there never was one for the 750ti. Maybe we'll get one nowadays?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

2 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

The 650ti Boost was a card sold a number of years ago. The 750ti is a more recent version of it, I suppose. Maybe this will be a 1050ti. The "Boost" referred to a well overclocked 650ti card and there never was one for the 750ti. Maybe we'll get one nowadays?

Isn't that kind of pointless though?

I mean if someone wants a higher performing card they'd get better performance out of the next card up vs a high factory overclocked lesser card wouldn't they?