Feeature Suggestion: Encourage proper Dark Theme formatting

AlTech
Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,
4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

@colonel_mortis Can the editor be changed to turn formatted text non formatted so we don't have the copy paste issue?

There is both a button on the editor, and a big banner that appears at the bottom of the editor when you paste to allow you to remove the formatting. People just aren't seeing it.

There are things that I would like to change with the editor, and I have suggested them to the devs, but just like most other suggestions that they get, they have been forgotten about without being implemented, and it's not something that I am able to edit.

Please. OMG! Help! I am so pissed off about people not formatting correctly for Dark theme.

Some context:

I used to like the LTT forums light theme. I now absolutely hate the light theme with a passion. IMHO it looks ugly and strains my eyes.

What I'm proposing:

A long time ago on a forum far far away (Called LTT xD) was a rule where you could get warning points (or thread move points or whatever IDEK) for moving threads incorrectly or putting them in the wrong section.

Cut to the chase:

I'd love to have all posts or replies to topics to be compatible with the Dark Theme. The best way to ensure that is either force posts and replies to use colors which work nicely on both themes.

And no "Oh but only a small minority use Dark Theme"!

Evidence:

darktheme.PNG

So please, post content which is compatible with the dark theme! @colonel_mortis  

Edited by AluminiumTech
Fixed a typo

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Really. You're suggesting fucking punishing people for their copypasted data not showing up right on an alternate theme.

Alternate theme? Is this kind of superiority thing? You can see that in a survey, more people used dark theme than light theme.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

Alternate theme? Is this kind of superiority thing? You can see that in a survey, more people used dark theme than light theme.

What I mean is that light theme was the original theme.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

30 people isn't a good sample size

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

what i think should be done instead is that moderators should have the ability to edit these threads to fit the night theme. also add a button to warn moderators about this.

Just now, AresKrieger said:

30 people isn't a good sample size

I would agree under normal circumstances however I was not able to find any other data available on the subject on this forum.

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

What are you a troll now :p,

Also half of the issue is copy past related anyway not intentional

I am not trolling anybody or anyone. I'm just sick ad tired of people being negligent to dark theme users. I would participate in more threads if I could easily read what was being said. Even Linus doesn't make content very readable for Dark Theme users

Linus often makes posts with black color font (as opposed to automatic color) 

Do you want to give him warning points too? Or is he gonna be an exception?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Alexzz_ said:

what i think should be done instead is that moderators should have the ability to edit these threads to fit the night theme. also add a button to warn moderators about this.

A lot of the times, at least in the news section, they do.

But a button to warn them about the incompatibility of the dark theme wouldn't be a bad idea.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

You mean, there's a dark theme?? ?? I'm just using whatever the default is.  I find nothing in Scripture--I mean any LTT forum rules visible at the top of the home page, saying it's a sin if I use default. :/

Just now, Nicholatian said:

Just Report It.™

There is absolutely no need for warning points being issued.

I really hope so. But if the same people do this ALL THE TIME then that would be a problem.

Next, people will be given warning points for incorrect grammar or misspelling words.

No but seriously, this is a horrible idea IMO.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Giving a warning point is a bit harsh.

I mean Linus does a copypasta for the wan show stuff and doesn't remove the formatting from the text so it stays black rather than auto.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Your survey is severely flawed. Less than 0.01% of members use the night theme (though I appreciated that is skewed because most members who only use the forum briefly will use the default theme - night).

No, of course we're not going to give out waning points for not removing the formatting...

HTTP/2 203

2 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Your survey is severely flawed. Less than 0.01% of members use the night theme (though I appreciated that is skewed because most members who only use the forum briefly will use the default theme - night).

No, of course we're not going to give out waning points for not removing the formatting...

I've edited the title with a more clear description of what I wanted..... Encouragement for people to comply with the Dark Theme.

I don't care how this is fixed (if it ever is). It could be fixed automatically by the forum topic editor or whatever.

This is a stupid idea, what would be easy to fix the issue is to incorporate a text color inverter, or simply make all black text WHITE rather than punishing community members for not posting their text in a format that is compatible with something many(edit - Nearly all) people don't use.

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

Nah

Just bandwagon and deliberately format your reply text in white.

That actually has happened a few times funny enough but generally it looks like this due to the copy paste, unless you do it intentionally 

News and reviews from all around the web!

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Just now, wcreek said:

Maybe make the night theme the default?

But some people might not like it.

I'm not sure the devs or Linus would accept it as a change.

1 minute ago, wcreek said:

But the night theme is so ugly :P

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

3 minutes ago, wcreek said:

night theme is shit and IMO broken to some extent, which is why this post exists. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, ThinkWithPortals said:

But the night theme is so ugly :P

Lol. Idk the day theme wasnt too bad in 1.0 but day theme in 2.0 is like a grey but not a super dark grey on white which doesn't help. 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization