NVIDIA Prepping High-Performance Volta GPU Lineup

VagabondWraith
28 minutes ago, marldorthegreat said:

No, dont bother. Its a waste of money. Get two 1080's, or two 1070's. 

Unless you have a legitimate reason to use them like I do. I do 3D rendering as a college student majoring in computer graphic arts and video game design, and the Titan GPU's are marketed to prosumers and not regular consumers who can't afford Quadro GPU's, as those are abhorrently expensive. The Quadro M4000 is almost $1K and it's not as powerful as the GeForce equivalent.

I also play games too, and I did the math and concluded that it'd be worth it to get a Titan X if you were to do two 1080's. Also not every game can scale well with SLI, or may not work at all due to a lack of SLI support.

Edited by JurunceNK

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

Well, I would not mind if they release it early.  Let's see them put more pressure on AMD and push them to the edge.  AMD either needs to collapse and split up between Intel and nVidia, or get bought out, so let's see if nVidia can put enough pressure to force either scenario.

I don't trust The Motley Fool. They have clickbait ads like "Don't buy the iPhone 6s, Apple's next sensation leaked!" and then when the iPhone 7 comes out the ad says "Don't buy the iPhone 7, Apple's next sensation leaked!"

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

I REALLY hope that Volta is getting rushed out because NVIDIA is scared AF by Vega, not that this means in any way that they are but i REALLY hope that is the case. that would be insainly awesome and i would be so happy if AMD could catch up again so we can have some competition and not have NVIDIA dominating the market with cards that are getting more and more expensive because they refuse to drop there older cards...

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Unless AMD suddenly pulls out something that crushes Nvidia so bad that they can't even compete with price cuts this probably won't happen. Many people are still waiting to get 1080s in stock, plus we don't even have the full line up. I can't see anything happening in less than a year, we might even get 1 1/2 - 2 years like we did with Maxwell to Pascal.

26 minutes ago, Weird Face said:

That's great, I was planning on waiting until Black Friday sales in November to buy a new graphics card, and this time I'm eyeing Team Green.

Err dude Volta is probably not gonna be out by Black Friday - hell, Volta is probably not gonna be out at all this year.

10 minutes ago, JurunceNK said:

Unless you have a legitimate reason to use them like I do. I do 3D rendering as a college student majoring in computer graphic arts and video game design, and the Titan GPU's are marketed to prosumers and not regular consumers who can't afford Quadro GPU's, as those are abhorrently expensive. The Quadro M4000 is almost $1K and it's not as powerful as the GeForce equivalent.

I also play games too, and I did the math and concluded that it'd be worth it to get a Titan X if you were to do two 1080's. Also not every game can scale well with SLI, or may not work at all due to a lack of SLI support.

You're looking at the Titan XP, right? Not the [original] Titan X?

God fucking damnit, I hate NVIDIA so much for naming Pascal Titan X the "Titan X".

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

You're looking at the Titan XP, right? Not the [original] Titan X?

correct. I just call the new Titan X the "Nvidia Titan X" as that's how they named it. I can only guess why they called it the Titan X is because the X may be the letter in the word "eXtreme"

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

9 minutes ago, JurunceNK said:

correct. I just call the new Titan X the "Nvidia Titan X" as that's how they named it. I can only guess why they called it the Titan X is because the X may be the letter in the word "eXtreme"

so the Titan Z is the Titan Zelous? tho it was complete money waste, like insaine levels of money waste lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

31 minutes ago, JurunceNK said:

There is no compute bonus to the new titan. Its the same as the 1080. 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

2 minutes ago, marldorthegreat said:

There is no compute bonus to the new titan. Its the same as the 1080. 

Same goes with the Maxwell and Pascal Quadros. You don't need FP64 to get amazing rendering speeds in 3D applications. It only makes sense in scientific, medical, and geographical calculations, and the like.

Also with large, complex 3D scenes, they do take up VRAM, right? So having 12GB of it is going to help out a lot.

Also are there any Linpack benchmarks of the GTX 1080 and the new Nvidia Titan X?

Edited by JurunceNK

RIGZ

Spoiler

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

QUOTES

Spoiler

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

1 hour ago, marldorthegreat said:

It wont be soon at all. It makes no sense at all. They would undercut the 1080 and 1070. It will be 2H 2017. 

Exactly. Im still waiting for big Vega from AMD.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

47 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

The difference was never greater than 30%, where are you getting your 60% from?

...because it actually was. People reported even higher gains on cards like the 260X.

Ye ole' train

Processors are getting bottlenecked by GPUs. Unless intel has a breakthrough I am not looking forward to this next generation. I am not talking about a 10% performance increase either.

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

The only possible reason they would rush Volta out earlier, is if they're scared shitless of Vega, and think it will utterly destroy their lineup.

That same rhetoric's been going around for how long now? 

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

1 hour ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

...because it actually was. People reported even higher gains on cards like the 260X.

I don't mean the gain from OpenGL to Vulkan. OP said that 480 performs 60% faster than the 970 under Vulkan, which it does not.

I just got the 1070... Jesus, slow down nvidia, I dont want it to be obsolete so fast

System Specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  
Storage: Western Digital Blue 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  

Displays: PlayStation® 3D Display (1080p)

Displays: VA1948M (900p)
Case Fan: Corsair CO-9050017-WLED 66.4 CFM  140mm Fan 
Case Fan: Corsair ML120 75.0 CFM  120mm Fans  
Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse 

1 hour ago, niofalpha said:

That same rhetoric's been going around for how long now? 

Exactly! Which is why this rumour is ridiculous and very unlikely that it will be dropping anytime soon. We'll see this in 2017 - at best, H1 of 2017.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Well I'm glad I didn't jump on any of the 10xx cards.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

5 hours ago, marldorthegreat said:

When has any AMD gpu in the last 5 years done anything to really challenge nvidia at the high end

The past 2 generations?

Launch: Fury X beaten by 980 Ti.

6 months after launch and beyond: Fury X beats 980 Ti.

Launch: 290x beaten by 780 Ti.

6 months after launch and beyond: 290x destroys 780 Ti. (especially in price/ perf)

Nvidia just cook their releases more, having used up more of the potential in the drivers than AMD has on every fresh SKU. This is how they take advantage of their cult, which seemingly lack the mental faculties to catch on to this strategy.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Look at the thread immediately below this one: 

It would kinda line up with this news item as well: They might want Volta on 14nm Samsung and since it's a new manufacturer for them (I think) they might now know how long till they get decent yields so they might as well start trying right away: worst case scenario they sit on the chips for a little while if yields are good earlier than expected. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

6 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I was gonna say, from a business perspective, they would be fucking idiots to release Volta so soon, when half of Pascal is still in short supply. The only possible reason they would rush Volta out earlier, is if they're scared shitless of Vega, and think it will utterly destroy their lineup.

Vega's design was completed around the time of the GTX 1070 and 1080's release, and Polaris' design was woefully behind those cards, and even behind the 1060, because, as Raja from AMD stated, AMD expected high performance PC gaming to go bust, and so didn't invest time and money into developing better technology.

Vega's design was completed before AMD had time to react to the GTX Pascal lineup and change anything. Also, AMD have listed their RX 490 card as being 4K-ready, using the same definition for 4K as they used to say that the RX 480 is 1440p-ready, which is, *in popular titles such as LoL and DOTA 2 - and that's a very big exception.

Going on that definition of 1440p / 4K-ready, we already know that the RX 490 is, at best, going to be a semi-competent 1440p card, probably slightly under the performance of a GTX 1070, just as an RX 480 is slightly under the performance of a GTX 1060. AMD's inferior performance lineup is pretty much a done thing at this point. Also, look at leaked benchmarks for their Zen CPUs, and you'll see that it's the very same failure to live up to performance expectations. AMD's participation in this round of hardware is plagued by the same non-ambitious mentality across the board, and they can't really maneuver out of it within a few months, since their designs are completed.

I think that what Nvidia is doing, with their big performance increases and rapid GPU releases, is, they're aiming to push AMD completely out of the picture for PC GPUs, so that Nvidia become the only choice for a new GPU purchase.

AMD banked on the failure of PC gaming, and thought they'd milk PC gamers with crappy hardware progression for many years to come, just as they did with the 7970 -> 280X -> 380X -> 480X. Since the prediction that they based their selling-out of PC gamers upon has proven to be a failure, so should the hardware they produced to accommodate that prediction. Their lack of faith and passion in PC gaming has led them to this.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

10 hours ago, marldorthegreat said:

But be realistic, vega wont challenge anything. When has any AMD gpu in the last 5 years done anything to really challenge nvidia at the high end

The r9 290x beat the 780 at a lower price qhwn it came out.  It forced nvidia to release the 780ti

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Theres no volta until 2017, they first have to release 1080ti and Titan P and make profit off them until 2017, theres no volta this year, rumours are not official news, like you make them sound to be. "Prepping" means in the next quarter or so they are ready for release.