DTS Ultra PC II - spectral enhancement

SlaughterThemAll

Hi guys - I've been enjoying my new pair of ATH AD900x's, but have been a little disappointed in the soundstage, especially seeing as this was something many reviews seemed to say was pretty good.

This morning I noticed that on my Realtek HD audio manager there's something called DTS UltraPC II, which can be enabled. 

It has surround enhancement and bass enhancement settings which don't improve things, but the spectral enhancement setting (low frequency and high frequency) makes a huge difference - really expands the soundstage nicely and the sound is less 'flat'.

Can anyone tell me what this feature is all about?

Tell you what though.  I'm experiementing with different tunes, turning this setting on and off.  It makes a HUGE difference in bringing the sound to life. Loving it!

Now I've just got to come to terms with my new sensorineural hearing imparement disability....

Hey, it might just be an EQ or reverb effect that you're enjoying (soundcards like to use fancy effects names instead of simply telling you what the effect is). See a doctor before you write yourself off.

I haven't looked into it but it could also be a very misleading marketing term. It might not be a spectral enhancement at all, it might just be channel separation or IMX expansion. that would give you the impression of a wider soundstage.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Some say the ad700x is better than the 900x. Don't ask me why, but that may be the case. I think you are listening to an EQ that has increased treble response, nothing special.