High Wattage PSUs Are Stupid

This video is a blessing. Hopefully more people are aware to not go overkill with a PSU or skimp on it.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

there will still be some morons who buy and use over 1k watts PSUs

but we cant blame them because they really have money to burn thou.

the only use case for a need to power the PC with high wattage PSU is because he is still running Quad SLi 980Tis, Fury Xs with Custom Loop on a X99 system

lets not forget dual R9 295x2 needs already 1K watts and the rest of the PC components need power so it make sense to get 1500-1600watts PSU.

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I bought a gently used AX860i a few months ago, and I think I'm on that cusp of sensible/insensible PSU buys, as I only have an FX-8320 and a GTX 970 in my system.

In my defence though, I jumped from an EVGA 600B, and I upgraded in large part for the efficiency and the modular cables, and the fact that I got it for like $150ish CAD

CodeMaster (Name Due for Update):

CPU: FX-8320 @ 4.6GHz | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 | RAM: 24GBs Crucial DDR3-1600

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce OC | Case: Fractal Design Define S | PSU: Corsair AX860i

I'd say anything up to 850W is not overkill. Beyond that? Of course.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

why does this video exist?

just 7 months ago Linus did this:

the power draw at the wall was 1.5+KW

WTF!

Clickbait is also stupid and yet LMG isn't stopping it.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

14 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

lets not forget dual R9 295x2 needs already 1K watts and the rest of the PC components need power so it make sense to get 1500-1600watts PSU.

Well you would need a strong 12V rails on a PSU to handle a R9 295X2, you might not want to run a R9 295X2 on a CX750M...

Just now, Bubblewhale said:

Well you would need a strong 12V rails on a PSU to handle a R9 295X2, you wouldn't want to run a R9 295X2 on a CX750M...

well there will be some hero who will try all their might

yes the R9 295x2 will need a super decent PSU like the CoolerMaster VSM 750 or the V850 to do the job

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

BRkm0vw_700wa_0.gif

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

39 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

FINALLY, something to reference to all those people who go "wayl I have 1600 watts cuz futureproofing." Okay, there's my reaction, you can speak now Luke.

always makes my laugh when people think this as year on year power consumption has gone down while horse power has gone up.

except for the amd FX range, that doesn't count.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

so in my computer I have a Corsair RM650X and I have it pinned at 60%-70% useage 24/7/365 as if i'm not gaming on it I am using it for F@H is this a bad for the PSU??

Please "Quote" me if you want me to see your response.

Well now I feel ashamed for having a 760W PSU for a single R9 390...

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Just now, ThinkWithPortals said:

Well now I feel ashamed for having a 760W PSU for a single R9 390...

I have an 850w ...... I was gonna buy a 390 quite a while ago.  I'm waiting for RX 490 or Fury V2

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

My 500W died and I knew I was going to upgrade my graphics card and maybe my CPU to a skylake i7. I overclock my GPU and CPU and I stream and edit my vids using 2 monitors. The cheapest corsair they had at best buy was a CX850M for $90 on a sale. Overkill? Maybe. Able to take my upgrades and not worry about buying another PSU, Hells yeah. :P 

Still a good video. 

A video on 'what is a good powersupply' for each system type would be appreciated. Maybe low end, mid end, high end with a couple of good options for each.

The problem is when power supply shopping its like a minefield. I know for instance the very CX500 in the background of this shot was recommended against by many 'experts' for quite a period of time due to cheap internal components. 

Picking a power supply on a budget for an entry level gaming, or office rig is especially difficult as cheap power supplies are often garbage.

2 hours ago, zMeul said:

why does this video exist?

just 7 months ago Linus did this:

the power draw at the wall was 1.5+KW

WTF!

whats your point? Is that a pc you are thinking of buying or something?

8 minutes ago, dams3 said:

whats your point? Is that a pc you are thinking of buying or something?

really!?!

the title of the video is "high Wattage PSUs are stupid" - obviously, they absolutely aren't

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

really!?!

the title of the video is "high Wattage PSUs are stupid" - obviously, they absolutely aren't

They are stupid. That whole build was stupid and Linus has said it multiple times.

4 minutes ago, zMeul said:

really!?!

Yes they are.

The fact that a stupid-overkill 1600W power supply was included in a stupid-overkill PC is not proof that 1600W power supplies are not stupid.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

5 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Yes they are.

The fact that a stupid-overkill 1600W power supply was included in a stupid-overkill PC is not proof that 1600W power supplies are not stupid.

you are missing the point by a fucking galaxy

the point of high wattage PSUs is that they exists to serve a purpose - even if that purpose is to build a crazy ass rig taht draws ~1.5kVA out of the wall

Linus even points out that the EVGA 1500W was the only one at that power, and they absolutely needed it

5 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Yes they are.

its the exact opposite. If a 1600w psu can power 7 freaking gamers at once then you get an idea of how overkill it is and that no one will ever need it